Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is it still in the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes

Might go this week , didnt realise it was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Went with the kids last Monday. First third dragged a bit but it's way better to finish strong than start well and finish weak

Kids were happy leaving and they've never seen the original so no nostalgia points for them

I thought the cinema would be empty in an afternoon screening on a Monday but there were 4 other groups in there with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Finally got to see this a few days ago.

Really enjoyable and very watchable.

• Advertisement

Its now the 12th highest grossing film of all time worldwide and the 6th highest grossing film of all time in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's just a very good action movie. The past 4-5 years have been nothing but Marvel, Harry Potter, Star Wars and shite overly deep stuff like Get Out where you have to try think of what it meant. Think classic 80s enjoyment like Rocky, Terminator etc. Better than the first Top Gun in my opinion. Don't go in expecting anything life changing because of how much hype there has been though, just switch off the brain and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder would we still be talking about Top Gun Maverick if it wasn't released in cinemas ?

Top Gun is one of my all time favourite movies. Of course I'm not going in expecting Laurence of Arabia.

• Advertisement

OK, I wouldn't say its better than the original, but I will say, if any movie execs are reading this, THAT is how you do a sequel when a long time has passed.

Same intro music as the original, same font as the original. For a moment I thought I was watching the original by mistake.

I had to wonder why, for nostalgia purposes Kelly McGillis was not in it. Turns out she is 65 years old, and while she looks good for her age, she doesn't go to the same well of eternal youth that Tom Cruise attends.

The scenes with Val Kilmer were very reverently done.

I felt the whole Rooster v Maverick thing was a bit much TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I went and watched this for a second time today this time in Odeon Screen 1 at the Point. Its been a while. It was even better the second time.

I know there was some here saying when they fired missles at the airbase why not the missiles too? I was thinking maybe because then they would have been detected by radar if it can detect missiles. I am sure it can and the whole point was it was to be a surprise attack get in do the job and get the hell out.

I was last out of the cinema :) and there was a good crowd too. Not full but ag least half full I woukd say.

The cinema itself was buzzing. I wonder is it like that all the time now? It's rare I go there now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Finally got about to seeing it and TBH, while decently watchable and more than holds the interest, I came away entertained but somewhat disappointed TBH. Perhaps expectation had been built up to such a degree that it was never going to hold up in such light.

I mean, while I had all the exposure that someone growing up in the 80s should do with the likes of the original, I never held it up as a 'great' film. More of a, what would become, standard Cruise vehicle which while certainly defining its part of the 80s movie scene, it never went beyond that. Certainly a recent rewatch shows it up for what it is, with its awful dialogue, some cringeworthy performances and ridiculously implausible story elements. But thats neither here nor there. Its iconic Maverick character was the heartbeat and by far the biggest success with the sequel overall.

Not many actors could pick up the same character with so many years in between, but Cruise is never anything other than invested in his characters, which while not always a massive stretch from each other across his various vehicles, they at least give their all up on screen. Here is no different, with Cruise effectively and believably showing us a Maverick that you could understand had just continued on with his career and now we're picking up again.

Yes, the camera work and practical expertise is fine, even if the very nature of the final mission dilutes it somewhat unfortunately which is a real shame. A more grounded and realistic approach might have preferable TBH, but at least it's never boring, and even though it asks the audience to take some leaps with whats on screen it just about pulls itself back from being completely OTT. Helps that you're invested in the Maverick character who is thankfully front and centre, and not just marginalised into the background.

Less successful is the Penny angle which, while no slight on Jennifer Connelly, is superfluous and very poorly mapped into the plot. By far the biggest danger of clock watching is whenever herself and Maverick are floundering trying to sell us this past 'relationship' TBH. Didn't work at all.

Other characters in the film are just about what you expect. Standard stuff lifted from the template that makes so many films, including the original. You won't remember their names, or care, because you're not watching it for them. They perform their function getting bounced around by Tom so nothing wrong there. Nice little scene with Val Kilmer is welcome, and even though it veers a little to close to the nostalgia bone at times throughout its runtime with a few too many lines lifted from the original, its hardly the first sequel to fall foul.

All negatives aside, its a film that at least treats its main draw as it should as opposed to one doing its best to knock him down and beat us all over the head with some new interpretation or something. Overall a decent night's entertainment, but I feel one that's benefitted from its timing and delay into something more than it probably is. Worth a watch on the big screen, but I wish my expectation had been tempered a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

I regret not seeing it in the cinema 55" 4k doesn't do it justice.

Nice simple story with some great action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched it again tonight, several months on from seeing it in the cinema.

It's as awesome the second time, though the bigger the screen the better (I knew I should have gone for the 65" 😂)

As for how it holds up vs the original (which I rewatch every year anyway) .. I would say it definitely ticks the nostalgia/references boxes but still manages to move it forward and in some places probably does some things better.

If you haven't seen it yet, get on it. Even if you weren't a massive fan of the original (shocking as that is 😂), it's a fantastic old school action movie in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Decent but thats about it.

Some great footage of the flight sequence but not as many as I had thought from listening to all the press.

It felt like 1.5 hours of build up for a fairly bland mission in that they were fighting a faceless enemy that was over fairly quickly.

It was more a nostalgic movie and thats fine but I think the success is probably more down to having little competition in the cinema at the same time.

its grand but not one I'' be watching again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Maverick was always going to be huge commercial success. You may have your own views on the film, and that's fine. But many many people were waiting in massive anticipation for this film once it was announced that a sequel was going to be made. That doesn't apply to many movies.

It has nothing to do with quality of other movies in the cinema. People were always going to go to see Maverick anyway.

I thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Starring Tom Cruise, produced by Tom Cruise, glorifying Tom Cruise to a cringeworthy degree. Apart from some decent action shots, I saw nothing to recommend it.

if you had seen top gun at any stage i dont have much sympathy for a poor review of this

it simply couldnt have been much better as a sequel to an iconic classic- i was delighted by it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Will this be released on HBO Max?? it hasn't appeared from me yet. I have a Spanish account.

Sadly I can't see past his "religious" beliefs. So, while I can pigeonhole his acting skills (as part of the suspension of disbelief) I can't do the same for him personally. I don't want to drag the thread off course - just commenting on the 'gas man' bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

more likely Paramount plus.. there's no date yet for it.. it might appear on some regional variations of hbo max. I'm surprised Paramount plus didnt go early early with it to push subscriptions..at least match the digital purchase date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

It could have been WAY better

Less Tome Cruise right in the middle of shot.

More action

More of a NEW story that essentially copying the original (yes I do know it was a remake but could have been done better

Had this been a stand alone movie I think it would have been slated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,286 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

went to it last night, pure late 1980's style rubbish, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched this today for the first time. It’s OK, and I get some of the choices made by the writers e.g. to not specify “the enemy” means it’s less likely to seem dated. Another criticism is the use of F/A-18s, but it’s understandable: it’s a carrier attack mission, and the F-35C was barely operational on one carrier at time of filming. Plus, the F-35C might not be much better, since stealth might be of limited value on that kind of daylight mission.

One annoying factual error: the Tomahawk cruise missile is subsonic, just like the F/A-18: they could never have gone streaking past the planes from way behind, the way they showed it on screen. That’s the kind of blooper that takes me out of the action, really.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

It's possible to have Tomahawks fly about 300km/h faster than an F/A-18. The plane going that slow would be very unusual though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You probably saw this post as a means to illustrate how much you know about planes and bombs. But for the normal movie-watchers among us, we don't know our F-35Cs from our 38DDS. Those of us who aren't obsessed with finding some technical faults in films will just see a flying bomb missing and passing out a plane, and think "that was a close shave". End of thought. And then move on to the next part of the film.

• Advertisement

Of all the implausibilities it’s way down the list. Starting with someone paying for a whole bar bill because some dozy bar maid said so…😤😅

Advertisement