Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

lukin wrote: »
    I've been watching clips of the first movie on YouTube and it really is remarkable what a terrible film it was. Laughable storyline, an astrophysicist who looks like she just stepped off a catwalk, cringe-inducing dialogue ("I feel the need—the need for speed"; I mean really, come on).
    Not to mention the fact that there wasn't one character in it who was remotely likeable. All of the pilots were arrogant self-obsessed w####rs and their superiors were cliched portrayals of military top brass.
    Kelly McGillis was just there for eye-candy. In fact I think I only watched it when I was a kid 'cause I thought she was super hot.
    Typical Tony Scott film (RIP); big on style but low on substance.

Good God, lukin, I've drawn pistols on men for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I actually was never a big fan of the original. Enjoyed the flying sequences of course but was very underwhelmed. I don't know why. I was the right age to see it and saw it at the right time but just couldn't understand the hype.

With regards to critiquing it now:

I think that's pretty pointless. The original is a film of its time. Designed to be of its time. This was not a film that was intended to be some timeless/ageless masterpiece. It is not a subtle movie:

You had a style-over-substance director in Tony Scott.
    You have 'Murica MOR Corporate Rock (20 years later perfectly designated "Yacht Rock")
    You have an ear-dribblingly awful script.
    There is more cheese than Galtee's annual Bring-your-cheese-to-work-Cheezy-Tuesday Event.

But that's the point. This was an 80's Murica First F*ck Yeah! movie (So it makes sense that the sequel is coming out in the MAGA age).

Are the flying sequences great? Hell Yeah!
    Is it a terrible movie? Hell Yeah!
    Does that make it a Awesome? Hell Yeah!*

* As I said, I didn't enjoy it but I was, by far, in the minority and I can appreciate it now for what it was.

One of its biggest issues is how clichè it seems to be. As others have said, this is because this is the genesis or early epitome of so many sequences that became clichès:
    • The nice guy best bud? Gonna die. Especially if he has a plan for the future.
    • The cocky rival (Not enemy)? Gonna be the birth of a perfect sexually-confusing bromance.
    • The token really smart hot chick. Just to show how "progressive" it is in a brilliantly patronising 80's way: "See? Chicks can be smart too.... Smart and Hot.
    • 'Murica is centre I mean center of the world. Signify this by having flag f*cking EVERYWHERE and big blue skies (Unless it's orange).
    • No irony. No satire or sarcasm. No contemplation about ramifications of American foreign policy :)

So basically Michael Bay.

I mean..... Two years later you had Rambo training The Taliban and fighting The Ruskies!

What I will say (and did say) is that the flying sequences look amazing in that trailer and should look fantastic on the big screen so I might see it just for that. Given that this is basically an ode to flying, I would imagine that they will try to keep it as real as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Good trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Miles Teller eh, was only wondering where he had disappeared to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looks almost like a shot for shot remake:

Epic take off scene - check
    A guy who looks exactly like a mustachioed Anthony Edwards - check
    Beautiful aerobatics - check
    Topless guys playing on the beach - check
    American Flag draped over a coffin - check
    Tom on a motorbike without a helmet - check

I can't ****in' wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kosiniskis films look superb and sound superb too.

That trailer looked superb,very little cgi .

Hans Zimmer is scoring alongside Harold Faltermeyer ,this could be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks promising so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still looks great. Can't wait for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I feel the need—the need for speed! Man I miss Tony Scott films.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Luckily its not being made by Rian Johnson, Maverick would be fat and bloated living alone on an Island. Seriously though, camera work looks great, I'd be surprised if it has the same buzz as the original movie but it should be a fun ride

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Had to!

People grumbling that the new trailer features no spoken words by a female character .

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/12/9037252/top-gun-maverick-tom-cruise-trailer-women

Maverick didnt have to put up with this nonsense back in 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

His F18E speaks enough and she's a lady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

People grumbling that the new trailer features no spoken words by a female character .

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/12/9037252/top-gun-maverick-tom-cruise-trailer-women

Maverick didnt have to put up with this nonsense back in 1986

I feel the need... THE NEED FOR CLICKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

[citation needed]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder how much digging was needed before finding that one random outlet making a thing of the trailer? See, look! That one person over there's upset! LIBRUHLS!

No thread is safe from this outrage baiting nonsense.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder how much digging was needed before finding that one random outlet making a thing of the trailer? See, look! That one person over there's upset! LIBRUHLS!

No thread is safe from this outrage baiting nonsense.

I didn't have to do any digging oddly enough ,it came up on Google near the top for Top Gun.

I'm not outraged either ,I find the whole thing ludicrous .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm not outraged either ,I find the whole thing ludicrous .

Nobody is outraged. You've just fallen victim to the bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Is anyone really surprised?

Oafley, just remove the "v=" from the text between the YOUTUBE tags. It only needs to have the hex code.

That video seems unclear, in that it seems to imply the actors really were flying those jets, which I just don't believe for a second; yet during the snippets of Cruise in the cockpit, I didn't spot anyone else that looked like the real pilot.

And yeah, it'll be a weird world when Cruise becomes too old to perform these stunts himself (with the suggestion being that the next 2 MI films are shot back to back for that precise reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Oafley, just remove the "v=" from the text between the YOUTUBE tags. It only needs to have the hex code.

That video seems unclear, in that it seems to imply the actors really were flying those jets, which I just don't believe for a second; yet during the snippets of Cruise in the cockpit, I didn't spot anyone else that looked like the real pilot.

And yeah, it'll be a weird world when Cruise becomes too old to perform these stunts himself (with the suggestion being that the next 2 MI films are shot back to back for that precise reason).

I wouldn’t take that from it. It’s a couple of years training to get near those things and I’m sure the vast majority people understand that. I don’t think they’re being disingenuous. I am shocked that the rest of the cast was allowed/ were up for it. Cruise I’d never any doubt.

Is anyone really surprised?

This is how you make a blockbuster movie in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really looking forward to this more than any movie in the last few years to be honest.

Great marketing too so far which is rare enough these days.

Pity that there isnt a proper IMAX screen in Ireland to watch this on.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

He's in the backseat of a two seat (Super)Bug(F/A-18F), with the camera facing aft. The real pilot is in the front seat doing the work. Its will of course be interspersed with, in all probability lower interior body shots in a mockup, and external shots of (a) real F/A-18E, and there you go. As far as I can remember, its something similar to what they did in the first movie, where with the aid of some interest in camera angles they gave the impression that that were in the real thing.

There were apparently alot of really pissed Navy personnel on the USS Theodore Roosevelt by the time filming on the carrier wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Skyknight wrote: »
    He's in the backseat of a two seat (Super)Bug(F/A-18F), with the camera facing aft. The real pilot is in the front seat doing the work. Its will of course be interspersed with, in all probability lower interior body shots in a mockup, and external shots of (a) real F/A-18E, and there you go. As far as I can remember, its something similar to what they did in the first movie, where with the aid of some interest in camera angles they gave the impression that that were in the real thing.

There were apparently alot of really pissed Navy personnel on the USS Theodore Roosevelt by the time filming on the carrier wrapped.

You are spot on but there ARE some shots of him actually flying. It was a contract stipulation by Cruise himself before he would agree to do it. That there would be at least one high-speed shot in the film of him actually flying. He has actually been trained to fly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Ah right....It might be his own P-51 he's flying. Not sure how willing the DoD is about letting a civilian fly one of their birds(maybe a T-45), regardless of how well trained/famous they are. Then again it is the States :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Skyknight wrote: »
    Ah right....It might be his own P-51 he's flying. Not sure how willing the DoD is about letting a civilian fly one of their birds(maybe a T-45), regardless of how well trained/famous they are. Then again it is the States :rolleyes:

im sure he flew....in the back seat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement