Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Castleknock to Vincents

Options
  • 18-07-2019 8:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey. I'm in the process of moving to Castleknock and I'm wondering what the commute is generally like to Vincent's Hospital in the morning- to be there for 9.

I'm assuming with school traffic it may peak compared to now. Google says an hour to an hour 45 which is a wide window.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That's a tricky commute with traffic.
    Just be wary with Google maps if you're checking directions now.
    You can set it for morning and say Oct / Nov to give a better feel.
    I checked and it had go M50 S and then up via N11.
    I presume M50 N and Port Tunnel toll is too much?
    Ideally you'd want to hit town and then go southbound at that time as majority of the traffic coming southbound.
    I'd give myself well over an hour for that commute, especially to be in for 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

No way would it take an hour and 45 minutes unless there's a major crash.
    I'd say M50 and come in the n11 or the rock road could be the best when the motorway is moving ok. Google maps is great to check before you leave.
    Other options could be North circular road and then either east link toll, Samuel becket bridge of Amien Street bridge take it a day at a time as some days one route will be the best option. Maybe some days through the park and up the quays could work. Although Google maps doesn't send you through the park.
    P s try changing your working hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I can't see that taking less than an hour and often closer to 1hr 30mins at times. It also going to be in stop start traffic.

The tunnel is €10 + the other toll at Ringsend. Each way.

Just looked at Google maps and the times are shocking and close to an hour and a half when not using the tunnel. It does say it's only a 43 minute cycle if that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Do you have to drive?

Depends we’re in Castleknock you are moving to, but you could get a train to Sydney Parade from Coolmine, Castleknock or Navan Road Parkway. Less than a 5 minute walk from Sydney Parade station to St Vincent’s.

Train leaving at 8:09 from Castleknock will get you to Sydney Parade at 08:51 with one transfer.

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    No way would it take an hour and 45 minutes unless there's a major crash.

There's a crash every other day, sometimes a few on the same day. They are really bad a clearing minor bumps.

beauf wrote: »
    There's a crash every other day, sometimes a few on the same day. They are really bad a clearing minor bumps.

Oh I know only to well:(

Do you have to drive?

Depends we’re in Castleknock you are moving to, but you could get a train to Sydney Parade from Coolmine, Castleknock or Navan Road Parkway. Less than a 5 minute walk from Sydney Parade station to St Vincent’s.

Train leaving at 8:09 from Castleknock will get you to Sydney Parade at 08:51 with one transfer.

The train will be standing only most of the time in the morning. You'll get a seat on the way home. But it's certainly an option. Less stressful, but the crowding is a little uncomfortable.

It certainly viable on an electric bike.

Id probably go early like at 7 and do run or something before you start work.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

The train will be standing only most of the time in the morning. You'll get a seat on the way home. But it's certainly an option. Less stressful, but the crowding is a little uncomfortable.

I get the train from Coolmine to Pearse most days at various times from 7.15-8.09 and bar the 8.15 which goes to Bray I regularly get a seat, if not I certainly get a comfortable standing spot down an aisle.

The overcrowding is nowhere near the levels of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The train is the no brainer option - even with a change to DART at Connolly, it will still be less than 45 minutes journey time for most morning journeys.. Expecting a seat at peak time rush hour would be unreasonable. No city mass transport rail system in the world has seats for everyone at rush hour (London Underground, Paris Metro, New York subway etc). Unless you are mobility impaired, standing will be manageable. You may get DART seats at Connolly as you switch from train to DART as many commuters get off there freeing up seats.

Anyone who chooses to drive this route when there is a rail link virtually door to door deserves to be stuck in 2 hours of non moving traffic each morning!

• Advertisement

Its not standing, its standing in packed carriage with no provision for standing.
    Between the Intercity carriages there are no windows you can open, no AC, and almost nothing to hold on to, the walls are smooth. Often like a sauna. Standing in the Aisle you get AC at least.
    The Dart and Luas and Arrows are designed for standing. The Intercity carriages which are used a lot are not.

As for overcrowding it depends on direction, if you getting on at near the start of the line, and if you are getting the Connolly the direct train, or the Docklands train. Also the time at which you travel.
    There is a difference between lots of people standing, and overcrowding. There is definitely overcrowding frequently when I travel.
    The Docklands train is vastly more people on it in the last year or two. Overcrowding is frequent. I used to get the Connolly train a lot, less so recently. The Connolly train does seem less packed when I do get it.
    If you have a bad back or some other issue, it might be less than ideal.

The journey times people are quoting are not door to door. Its simply the station to station time. you have to add walking and also you also get the train 5-10 mins early.
    For me thats a 15-20 mins before I get on the train and 10 mins when I get off.

Still getting the train (or cycling) is far better than driving. No argument there. You can have a nap, or read a book, watch TV, movie etc.

Also there is cheap (taxsaver) parking at some station, secure bike lockers. Lots of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Its not standing, its standing in packed carriage with no provision for standing.
    Between the Intercity carriages there are no windows you can open, no AC, and almost nothing to hold on to, the walls are smooth. Often like a sauna. Standing in the Aisle you get AC at least.
    The Dart and Luas and Arrows are designed for standing. The Intercity carriages which are used a lot are not.

As for overcrowding it depends on direction, if you getting on at near the start of the line, and if you are getting the Connolly the direct train, or the Docklands train. Also the time at which you travel.
    There is a difference between lots of people standing, and overcrowding. There is definitely overcrowding frequently when I travel.
    The Docklands train is vastly more people on it in the last year or two. Overcrowding is frequent. I used to get the Connolly train a lot, less so recently. The Connolly train does seem less packed when I do get it.
    If you have a bad back or some other issue, it might be less than ideal.

The journey times people are quoting are not door to door. Its simply the station to station time. you have to add walking and also you also get the train 5-10 mins early.
    For me thats a 15-20 mins before I get on the train and 10 mins when I get off.

Still getting the train (or cycling) is far better than driving. No argument there. You can have a nap, or read a book, watch TV, movie etc.

The Maynooth line have very little intercity trains serving Connolly/Pearse. There is one just before 8 that is often an intercity but the others are not?

Certainly more on the Docklands line.

My information is likely out of date, its been a couple years since I got the Connolly train a lot.
    These when I get it infrequently, its almost always an intercity. But I could just be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The specific train (8.09) recommended is the Connolly train which uses intercity carriages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Unless you need to be there on the dot of 0900, you could get the 0818 train which goes direct to Sydney Parade. It's the most crowded unfortunately.

Otherwise the trains are generally fine so long as you don't expect a seat. Driving would be grand one day and a two-hour trip to hell the next.

There is also a direct train so you don't have to change.

08:19 Dep Castleknock
    09:01 Arr Sydney Parade

And back

17:31 Dep Sydney Parade
    18:01 Dep Sydney Parade

Advertisement