Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forty families on Dublin housing list given keys to new homes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lola85 wrote:
    You tell me how much so?

You were the one that threw out an ' approx figure' now unable to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

You were the one that threw out an ' approx figure' now unable to back it up.

Well we now have a figure of 165,000 per house.

40,000 houses= around 60 billion.

Are you going to run away or tell me where that money will come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

lola85 wrote: »
    Ok So 165X 40,000.

60 billion

Where will the money come from?

The magic money tree no doubt.

I'm sorry, but it's over 6 billion.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but it's over 6 billion.

165,000 X 40,000

Is not 6 billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ok So 165X 40,000.

60 billion

Where will the money come from?

The magic money tree no doubt.

Well your maths is completely off there, considering it's 6.6 billion.

Which doesn't all have to be paid upfront either and the State has low interest rates afforded to it.

Considering the national children's hospital is to exceed 2 billion, there's a national broadband plan in for 1 billion, and they're already committing 1.25 billion a year to social housing, these aren't exactly unobtainable figures for a budget.

lola85 wrote:
    40,000 houses= around 60 billion.

You may want to invest in a new calculator.

Which doesn't all have to be paid upfront either and the State has low interest rates afforded to it.

Considering the national children's hospital is to exceed 2 billion, there's a national broadband plan in for 1 billion, and they're already committing 1.25 billion a year to social housing, these aren't exactly unobtainable figures for a budget.

It’s 165,000 per house.

40,000 houses.

60 billion.

Are you keeping up here or do you need a ven diagram?

165,000 X 40,000

I’d not 6 billion

6,600,000,000 no, it's exactly 6 billion and 600 million. Far less than what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

seasidedub wrote: »
    The Bosnian war was well over in the time period I refer to. They were driving home every weekend to amazing looking houses (saw loads of photos)

And most likely three generations of the family live in those amazing houses. Bosnia was not among richer republics even before the war in Yugoslavia. Currently their gdp is around 5000 dollars and lower than gdp of Serbia. Bosnians always emigrated to work in other countries (in your case I assume Austria) because there was no employment in Bosnia.

You can make arguments for people without much assets or money to have priority but stop with the nonsense about mansions. That is just complete bs and anyone with basic knowledge of situation there would know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It’s 165,000 per house.

40,000 houses.

60 billion.

It's 6 billion not 60.

lola85 wrote:
    It’s 165,000 per house.

lola85 wrote:
    40,000 houses.

lola85 wrote:
    60 billion.

6.6 billion. Can you use a calculator?

Apologies folks my mistake.

6 billion you are right.

6 billion you are right.
    Perhaps you need the ven diagram hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It could well be €60bn if we elect FF and their builder buddies.

6 billion you are right.

To be fair, if you're ever used to calculating those numbers, you wouldn't be on boards with the rest of us slum dogs

• Advertisement

It could well be €60bn if we elect FF and their builder buddies.
    Overruns are more the FG way though aren't they...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Why does all new social homes have to be houses? What is needed is a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units. which will also allow those already in larger social housing to downsize.

I'm not a builder, but I'd be pretty sure a 1 bed apartment would not cost the same to build as a 3 bedroom house.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Perhaps you need the ven diagram hmmmm

Sorry I was 100% wrong.

It’s 165,000 per house.

40,000 houses.

60 billion.

This has to be one of my favourite posts I've ever seen on boards.

If you can't do basic maths are you sure you know what a venn diagram is?

JeffKenna wrote:
    Overruns are more the FG way though aren't they...

Children's hospital, NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It’s 165,000 per house.

40,000 houses.

60 billion.

This has to be one of my favourite posts I've ever seen on boards.

If you can't do basic maths are you sure you know what a venn diagram is?
    How is a venn diagram relevant anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

South Dublin county council are planning on investing 1bn on 4500 homes

Gatling wrote: »

You mean 45 billion, right?

Crisis averted, the children's hospital is only costing 300m, slight miscalculation.

Gatling wrote:

Circa 225,000 per home. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

meeeeh wrote: »
    And most likely three generations of the family live in those amazing houses. Bosnia was not among richer republics even before the war in Yugoslavia. Currently their gdp is around 5000 dollars and lower than gdp of Serbia. Bosnians always emigrated to work in other countries (in your case I assume Austria) because there was no employment in Bosnia.

You can make arguments for people without much assets or money to have priority but stop with the nonsense about mansions. That is just complete bs and anyone with basic knowledge of situation there would know that.

Not that the Irish abroad ever talked up what their home places were like!

AulWan wrote: »
    Why does all new social homes have to be houses? What is needed is a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units. which will also allow those already in larger social housing to downsize.

I'm not a builder, but I'd be pretty sure a 1 bed apartment would not cost the same to build as a 3 bedroom house.
    While I agree with you I think building houses allows staggered approach. In commercial builds the sale of first houses finances further phase in estate. Apartment building has to be built as a whole. I'm not sure this affects social/charity projects but it is harder to finance building of apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Sonny noggs & plumbthedepths - cut it out. You’re taking the thread off topic and being d*ckish

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

The Bosnian war was well over in the time period I refer to. They were driving home every weekend to amazing looking houses (saw loads of photos)

I worked in a large hospital and there were many Bosnians in the area I worked in. They very proudly showed off the photos of their houses to which they drove frequently and there were emphatically notb3 generations living in them. I'm very familiar with the former Yugoslavia and familiar with the 3 generational system of living there, and these people did not build for the extended family. And by our standards they were mansions - on average about 350sq m. And I do have first hand knowledge of the situation.

While I agree with you I think building houses allows staggered approach. In commercial builds the sale of first houses finances further phase in estate. Apartment building has to be built as a whole. I'm not sure this affects social/charity projects but it is harder to finance building of apartments.

Also tends to be a lot more opposition to social housing apartments when it comes to objections at planning time, and realistically they won't build high enough to provision enough units in an apartment block. Hence the popularity of terraced housing. But a mix of 2 bed units and 3 beds with possibility of splitting a set amount into flats would be a good compromise.

• Advertisement

I worked in a large hospital and there were many Bosnians in the area I worked in. They very proudly showed off the photos of their houses to which they drove frequently and there were emphatically notb3 generations living in them. I'm very familiar with the former Yugoslavia and familiar with the 3 generational system of living there, and these people did not build for the extended family. And by our standards they were mansions - on average about 350sq m. And I do have first hand knowledge of the situation.
    I get it now. I'm not going into some nationalist bs among people who are from or lived in countries that used to be part of Yugoslavia.

when the nw houses where built in ballymun , simon coveney said it was costing 110k per modular type home. after they opened the houses, it transpired each house cost about 215K...there was no tender and the job was awarded to a company without competition, who basically doubled the price.

My point is this, that 60 billion, 6.6million, 6 million, ven diagramed amount should only be half!! you can be guaranteed that hugely inflated price gives half to the usual pigs in the trough. I;ve more of a problem with this, than I have with a lithuanian girl getting off the street. Plus most foreign people in renting in my old apartment block, treat the apt like homes..two irish families moved in and the place was in shyte!! proper ***** these bitter housing list for lifers are..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

JeffKenna wrote: »
    ollkiller wrote: »
    Forty families. Fantastic news. Make it another 40000 or even more and I'll be happy. Families getting social housing should be celebrated. And there should be a lot more of it extending into higher income thresholds.

Any nonsense argument about who get what's first or where is that person born just deflects from the appalling housing policy this electorate has had to endure. It's actually frightening how useless they are at just getting houses built.

40,000 houses would cost approx 120 billion.

Can you tell me where the money will come from?

What an interesting idea.
    I need to get into the building game
    Closed shop baby once you get to a certain level though you can tender away to your hearts content the "preferred" bidder will always get the contract

rusty cole wrote: »
    when the nw houses where built in ballymun , simon coveney said it was costing 110k per modular type home. after they opened the houses, it transpired each house cost about 215K...there was no tender and the job was awarded to a company without competition, who basically doubled the price.

My point is this, that 60 billion, 6.6million, 6 million, ven diagramed amount should only be half!! you can be guaranteed that hugely inflated price gives half to the usual pigs in the trough. I;ve more of a problem with this, than I have with a lithuanian girl getting off the street. Plus most foreign people in renting in my old apartment block, treat the apt like homes..two irish families moved in and the place was in shyte!! proper ***** these bitter housing list for lifers are..

That price of 165k is half what a private developed (on purchased land) would cost though.

Tender process also isn't fool proof either, children's hospital is the best example of that. Problem is the country will always struggle when it comes to sticking to a budget, no matter what the OGP or similar does there'll always be some form of cronie high up trying to pull strings to sort their mates out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

40 happy families.. wonderful news. :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Only 40 houses.
    Very disappointing.

We need a huge amount more to house every one in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My daughter is nearly 22 and living in private rented accommodation in Waterford while she works minimum wage in a hotel.
    According to PBP et al she is homeless.
    When might she expect her forever home to be ready?

splinter65 wrote:
    My daughter is nearly 22 and living in private rented accommodation in Waterford while she works minimum wage in a hotel. According to PBP et al she is homeless. When might she expect her forever home to be ready?

Does the council recognise her as homeless? If the council doesn't what any other group says is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does the council recognise her as homeless? If the council doesn't what any other group says is irrelevant.

No, sadly, the council say that the flat she shares with two other girls is sufficient.
    And so it bloody well should be.
    This whole homelessness nonsense is a total sham. From beginning to end.
    The people have been completely hoodwinked.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote:
    No, sadly, the council say that the flat she shares with two other girls is sufficient. And so it bloody well should be. This whole homelessness nonsense is a total sham. From beginning to end. The people have been completely hoodwinked.

So she's not homeless that's great. Fortunately you don't get to define what is homeless and what isn't. The government uses an accepted definition as do the councils.

Well done to them. It's very stressful living in emergency accommodation (or with relatives who are kind enough to take your family in while you save your deposit). At a purely practical level, however, how many homes in rural Ireland could have been purchased for whatever these 40 homes in Dublin cost? If the people are working here and simply not earning enough that's fine as cleaners, binmen etc are needed here.

However, if they aren't working, why can't this state re-establish the Rural Resettlement Programme from the 1980s and give them homes in less expensive areas? Nobody has a right to a home in their home area - as the vast majority of Irish people since 1845 can attest to. Just how many people here are now living in an area in which they were not born? The vast majority of my very large family had to leave not only our home area but Ireland in the 1980s - and they were all workers - so there really isn't much fairness that people who aren't even working when the economy is booming are given homes in their Dublin locality while workers in Dublin who can't afford to live here have to drive in from Port Laoise, Mullingar and the like to do their jobs. The poor, especially when they have small children, need to be housed because it makes long-term sense to invest in those young lives - but this notion that they have a right to be housed where they want should be knocked firmly on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Nobody has to be homeless to go on the council housing list anyway. It's open to all who meet the criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Well done to them. It's very stressful living in emergency accommodation (or with relatives who are kind enough to take your family in while you save your deposit). At a purely practical level, however, how many homes in rural Ireland could have been purchased for whatever these 40 homes in Dublin cost? If the people are working here and simply not earning enough that's fine as cleaners, binmen etc are needed here.

However, if they aren't working, why can't this state re-establish the Rural Resettlement Programme from the 1980s and give them homes in less expensive areas? Nobody has a right to a home in their home area - as the vast majority of Irish people since 1845 can attest to. Just how many people here are now living in an area in which they were not born? The vast majority of my very large family had to leave not only our home area but Ireland in the 1980s - and they were all workers - so there really isn't much fairness that people who aren't even working when the economy is booming are given homes in their Dublin locality while workers in Dublin who can't afford to live here have to drive in from Port Laoise, Mullingar and the like to do their jobs. The poor, especially when they have small children, need to be housed because it makes long-term sense to invest in those young lives - but this notion that they have a right to be housed where they want should be knocked firmly on the head.

Agree there to a degree, there definitely should be more done to promote rural resettlement as an alternative. Lots of areas around the country need an injection of new blood into their communities to keep basic services and so this could be a win for all involved. However, no point resettling a family to the back of beyond without ensuring it's a suitable location if the scheme is to be successful.

pawrick wrote: »
    Agree there to a degree, there definitely should be more done to promote rural resettlement as an alternative. Lots of areas around the country need an injection of new blood into their communities to keep basic services and so this could be a win for all involved. However, no point resettling a family to the back of beyond without ensuring it's a suitable location if the scheme is to be successful.

Absolutely, but nobody is equating moving out of Dublin with moving to the back of beyond. There are tons of rural towns within reach of hospitals that could badly do with the population increase. Indeed, they could even be put on those ANCO/FÁS courses when they get there and help to revitalise those urban centres (plenty of painting jobs especially). This is what happened in the 1980s and it was a great service to society - the Royal Canal, for instance, was largely restored by ANCO workers and other volunteers who were on unemployment benefit of some sort.

Some are querying the build cost. Social housing is finished to a very high spec. While private owners have no problem slumming it while getting a property to their satisfaction, social housing tenants get the best of everything. This isn’t a criticism, just stating the facts.

I’m delighted that we are seeing more people being housed. I hope that they appreciate it and look after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some are querying the build cost. Social housing is finished to a very high spec. While private owners have no problem slumming it while getting a property to their satisfaction, social housing tenants get the best of everything. This isn’t a criticism, just stating the facts.

I’m delighted that we are seeing more people being housed. I hope that they appreciate it and look after it.

Yeah, this has to be seen as the good news it is.

But would agree with the high spec of new social housing. If Derry is anything to go by, new social housing has specs a lot of private buyers can only dream about.

Most have very high BER rating, well insulated, have solar panels for water, landscaped gardens, quality boundary walls with ironmongery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

I think that it is correct that they are finished to a very high spec.
    I know that I expect mine to be.

The days of the private home owner are numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

The more people in council housing means less people on hap/rent allowance.
    It Pushes down the price of housing because less people are looking for limited housing.
    More money going to councils in rent instead of paying out for hotels and rent allowance.

Life is very difficult, two parents have to work now (if you want to of course that’s great, but when you have to it’s very hard
    Price of childcare, insurance and just every day living putting enormous strain on families pushing people to burn out.

And while everyone is busy attacking those ‘lower’ than them on the economic scale no one is questioning those above who are lining the pockets of their buddies.
    It was a fantastic trick to get everyone ripping into each other, Game of Thrones stuff.

Giving people the opportunity to better their lot in life benefits everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Gatling wrote: »

Absolutely rediculous building in south Dublin . Just going to inspire droves of people to say sod it, I'll do nowt n get the council house with the A rated ber, solar panels etc etc.
    The schmucks that works for a living will be paying e2000 a month for a 2 bed apartment in South dublin.
    Or more likely cant afford to live in south dublin n are commuting in from gorey etc.
    Leo will be lining up the commuter for a good hit in the budget with his carbon tax rises- someones gotta pay for the bums!

enricoh wrote:
    Absolutely rediculous building in south Dublin . Just going to inspire droves of people to say sod it, I'll do nowt n get the council house with the A rated ber, solar panels etc etc. The schmucks that works for a living will be paying e2000 a month for a 2 bed apartment in South dublin. Or more likely cant afford to live in south dublin n are commuting in from gorey etc. Leo will be lining up the commuter for a good hit in the budget with his carbon tax rises- someones gotta pay for the bums!

This may come as a shock to you, but there are plenty of workers living in social housing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement