Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forty families on Dublin housing list given keys to new homes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

ollkiller wrote: »
    Forty families. Fantastic news. Make it another 40000 or even more and I'll be happy. Families getting social housing should be celebrated. And there should be a lot more of it extending into higher income thresholds.

Any nonsense argument about who get what's first or where is that person born just deflects from the appalling housing policy this electorate has had to endure. It's actually frightening how useless they are at just getting houses built.

Sure if everyone got a free house why would anyone work?

Look at me, living the other side of the country house sharing with idiots with big rents going out every month.

Maybe I should give it all up and get a free house in a good location myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

rireland wrote:
    Maybe I should give it all up and get a free house in a good location myself.

You should, keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

seasidedub wrote: »
    Absolutely. Free houses for everyone.

I simply asked a question.

I used to work abroad and lots of Bosnians came to work in the country I was in, and lots of them in the place I worked. They generally gotvsocial housing as they tended to be lower earners. But many of them were open about the fact that they had houses (often huge) or were building ones in Bosnia. It pissed off my local co workers no end that they got free flats but had literal mansions "back home" and felt that foreign real estate should be sold before you were entitled to social housing

It is supposed to be. State case against a woman caught lying all over the press a few weeks ago. Perhaps these opportunists should be reported. This is wide open to abuse and they are right. A few screengrabs of fb or their instagram accounts would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Great to see some social housing come on board.

I do think that housing like this in such high demand areas should first of all be used for critical services employees that need to be in the area for the benefit of society. (Healthcare workers, Gardai etc...) It should be subsidised and a BIK taken out of the payslips at the end of the month for those that avail of it. Once the people that need to be in the area are catered for then look at housing those who don't.

I know of quite a few teachers and nurses living abroad who turned down jobs in Dublin due to house prices. It would also negate the need for some salaries to be so high. An example, It's crazy that a teacher in Donegal/Leitrim earns the same as a Dublin based teacher with cost of living so much higher in Dublin. Why would any public sector employee want to live in Dublin if they could earn the same in a much cheaper area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

enricoh wrote: »
    Absolutely rediculous building in south Dublin . Just going to inspire droves of people to say sod it, I'll do nowt n get the council house with the A rated ber, solar panels etc etc.
    The schmucks that works for a living will be paying e2000 a month for a 2 bed apartment in South dublin.
    Or more likely cant afford to live in south dublin n are commuting in from gorey etc.
    Leo will be lining up the commuter for a good hit in the budget with his carbon tax rises- someones gotta pay for the bums!

My thing is well let's ask the local authorities how they have allowed tenants rack up 90 million in unpaid rents and arrears.
    They should be forced to clear the books before building more homes , while people will say there is no such thing as a free house 90 million in unpaid rents and arrears suggest there is free house's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

The guilt of freeloading would be too much for me to bare, but I wish I could!

seasidedub wrote: »
    Riaukaite is a Lithuanian name. I am curious as to whether an Irish person would get the keys to a new house in Vilnius?

What do you think of the name Varadkar

rireland wrote:

Ah great stuff, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    But would they give you a free house where a lot of people would love to live and pay a fortune to?????

If someone is starving and you feed them I'm sure there's a lad in McDonalds would like a free meal. When you go shopping to buy groceries do you curse the kid on the Trocaire box for all the free dinners he gets while you have to pay?

People are charged rent based on income. People not working need to show why, show they are seeking work. People not paying rent are to be evicted.
    Now we know the system isn't policed as well as it should but think of all the hotel money you are saving by these people being in council owned properties and not hotels.

rireland wrote: »

You wouldn't be allowed to freeload in any country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

You wouldn't be allowed to freeload in any country.

I think you meant to say: You wouldn’t be allowed to freeload in any country except Ireland.

People not working need to show why, show they are seeking work. People not paying rent are to be evicted.

Those two statements are not true.

I think the opening post was an updated of how people got on.
    They got a lovely new house.

atticu wrote:
    I think the opening post was an updated of how people got on. They got a lovely new house.

Would you rather they got tent beside the M50?

Would you rather they got tent beside the M50?

Can you please quote where I said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

atticu wrote: »

People who are not working need to show evidence of Jobseeking to claim Jobseekers Benefits.

There are also many people who are not working are ill / disabled / carers and you couldn't pay them enough for the work they do without financial reward.

I couldn't live my life with such bitterness and begrudgery towards others.

atticu wrote:
    Can you please quote where I said that.

It was a question to your comment about they got a lovely house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great to see some social housing come on board.

I do think that housing like this in such high demand areas should first of all be used for critical services employees that need to be in the area for the benefit of society. (Healthcare workers, Gardai etc...) It should be subsidised and a BIK taken out of the payslips at the end of the month for those that avail of it. Once the people that need to be in the area are catered for then look at housing those who don't.

I know of quite a few teachers and nurses living abroad who turned down jobs in Dublin due to house prices. It would also negate the need for some salaries to be so high. An example, It's crazy that a teacher in Donegal/Leitrim earns the same as a Dublin based teacher with cost of living so much higher in Dublin. Why would any public sector employee want to live in Dublin if they could earn the same in a much cheaper area.

They could move?

It was a question to your comment about they got a lovely house.

Are you saying that they did not get a lovely house.

• Advertisement

atticu wrote:
    Are you saying that they did not get a lovely house.

The person referenced in the report seems happy with the house, my opinion on the house is irrelevant. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

AulWan wrote: »
    There is nothing in that article to say anyone was bumped up the list. They could have been on the list for years before ending up in a hotel.

Good luck to them in their new homes.

I think he was referring to the 17 year old being bumped up the list, in fairness she couldn't have been on the list that long if she is only 17. Good luck to her/them anyway.

The person referenced in the report seems happy with the house, my opinion on the house is irrelevant. ;-)

So they did get a lovely home.

What was the point you were trying to make with the reference to tents?

People who are not working need to show evidence of Jobseeking to claim Jobseekers Benefits.

There are also many people who are not working are ill / disabled / carers and you couldn't pay them enough for the work they do without financial reward.

I couldn't live my life with such bitterness and begrudgery towards others.

You don’t have to prove that you are looking for a job to stay in a council house, and you will not get evicted if you don’t pay the rent.

I am sorry that you live with bitterness and begrudgery.
    I would recommend a life without these, you should try it, I can recommend it.

There are also people with severe disabilities who work, and have good careers.
    Pity that they are often forgotten.

atticu wrote:
    What was the point you were trying to make with the reference to tents?

I asked a question wasn't making a point. If you wish to go around in circles be my guest but I'll decline.

I think you meant to say: You wouldn’t be allowed to freeload in any country except Ireland.

No I include Ireland, see below.

They are. When Leo had his welfare fraud campaign what 'fraud' do you think he was referring to? If people just signed on, no questions asked, no follow up, what 'fraud' was he on about?

• Advertisement

I think he was referring to the 17 year old being bumped up the list, in fairness she couldn't have been on the list that long if she is only 17. Good luck to her/them anyway.

She didn’t get the home for herself. She’s a dependent of someone who got it.

The 17 year old lived with her mother and younger sister.

Her mother was most likely was the applicant, not the 17 year old!

Does that even need to be stated? :rolleyes:

You don’t have to prove that you are looking for a job to stay in a council house, and you will not get evicted if you don’t pay the rent.

I am not the one here who is bitter and begruding of people receiving new homes, or declaring everyone who is in social housing is somehow a "freeloader". You need to re-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

People in council housing work you do know this right?

Please quote where I said there are no workings people living in council house, or explain why you have asked this question.

But I think it will be the same answer as another poster who had no idea why they had asked a question, and then tried to accuse me of going round in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Some do, some don’t. A blanket statement like ‘people in council housing work’ is as misleading as saying no one in council housing works.

People not working need to show why, show they are seeking work. People not paying rent are to be evicted.
    They are.

The first statement is not true. It does not matter how many times you say it, it is not true.

The second statement is semantically correct, but we know that people in council houses are not evicted.

I asked a question wasn't making a point. If you wish to go around in circles be my guest but I'll decline.

Thanks, but you are the one going around in circles.
    I am still trying to figure out why you asked the question, and it seems that either you don’t know, or you won’t tell me which is very strange.

atticu wrote:
    Thanks, but you are the one going around in circles. I am still trying to figure out why you asked the question, and it seems that either you don’t know, or you won’t tell me which is very strange.

Even stranger that you are still going on about this 24 later. Move on and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What do you think of the name Varadkar

...I suppose you'll have to ask has he solved any of the crisis that he started with, or have they got worse....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You do,nt need to be homeless to get on the housing list,
    you could live at home with a parent .
    You can live in private rental accomodation
    My friend lived in her mothers 3 bed house, she was given a 1 bed flat
    12 years ago.She is on disability allowance .
    her mother owns the house .
    I presume the council give priority to homeless familys living in hostels
    or hotels .
    As far as i know dublin city council only give house,s to familys with
    2 or more children .
    Someone with one child will be offered a 2 bed apartment .
    Someone living in a hotel is regarded as homeless .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Happy if people are better off now.

But what about those of us with full time jobs barely making rent every month living in nightmare conditions with no hope of affording a home? When will there be help for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The_Brood wrote: »

But what about those of us with full time jobs barely making rent every month living in nightmare conditions with no hope of according a home? When will there be help for us?
    The problem is that there is nobody in the Dail to represent the likes of you.
    Sinn Fein represents the social welfare class.
    Finn Gael represent themselves and vested interests; similarly with Fianna Fail.
    Labour, who should be fighting for workers like you, have completely lost their way and are insignificant now.
    The other liberal left parties want you to work more and pay more taxes to support those in society who do not want to work, conning the system, or are falsely claiming disability.

You just have to hang on and wait for a political party to form who will represent the majority of workers/contributors in Ireland.

Even stranger that you are still going on about this 24 later. Move on and grow up.

If I posted this sort of personal abuse at you, would you just suck it up, or would you report it?

You started this with a question, yet you don’t know why you asked that.

Now you are trying to blame me?

atticu wrote:
    If I posted this sort of personal abuse at you, would you just suck it up, or would you report it?

You think this is personal abuse? Hopefully someone can arrange a safe space for you, feel free to report me. I asked you an innocuous question , 24 hours later you are still harking on about it. My suggestion was to move on and grow up. I'm not qualified to offer advice on how to deal with people that have a different opinion than you so hopefully someone else upon reading my response maybe able to offer you support and advice. All I can say is take care and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The_Brood wrote: »

But what about those of us with full time jobs barely making rent every month living in nightmare conditions with no hope of affording a home? When will there be help for us?

Well if your earning less than €40k and living in Dublin ye can go on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well if your earning less than €40k and living in Dublin ye can go on the list.

Actually up to €42,000 in earning in parts

Others it's between 30-36,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if its done fair and square then its good news.
    everyone wants a home.

the government should be putting money into every.council in this country and building affordable houses but thats just dreaming i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Quote from a local councillor on another article
    Local councillor Donna Cooney said she was sad to hear a resident say they felt like they had won the lotto.

"I mean this would feel like you won the lottery to move into these, this is wonderful accommodation, but it shouldn't feel like that," she said.

Daft shows 3 properties for sale on Richmond Road area
    499k for a 2-bed house
    1 million for a 4-bed house.
    279k for a 2-bed apartment

(I don't think the last one is actually on the Richmond Road)

I don't know. Wouldn't be too far from an oul' lottery win if you ask me.

Couple of decent looking places in Drogheda there for under 120k for example. I don't see the point of having people commuting by bus or car everyday to Dublin city centre because they can't get places to rent and then giving away available stock.
    I'd say there are plenty half asleep sitting on early morning buses traveling that far or further on basic enough jobs, having got up early to make their sandwiches to cut down on their lunch costs and, after an hour or more of traveling, passing close enough to Richmond road area where the inhabitants are nicely tucked up asleep in bed

If the government were to build 3 bed terraced houses on land that they own, it'd cost roughly 165k per house https://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-ireland-cost-of-state-private-building-2888760-Jul2016/

To note as well, not all of the buildings would have to be 3 bed terraced houses, 2 bed houses would suffice for a lot of people and would reduce the cost even further. Or apartments.

To be fair, that's an awful shite article.

It strips everything out of the cost and adds nothing in. It counts the land as free (councils have to pay for it at some stage when they acquire it). It removes "marketing cost" but doesn't add back in the administrative costs of all the council staff who are needed to manage it. It subtracts out the VAT from the council costs because when the council pay it, it goes to the government (but doesn't subtract if from the developer cost..........presumably the author thinks that VAT paid by a developer does not go to the government). It does the same with planning levies as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

I am glad we can house people from other countries. The Irish are the greatest in the world.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

All those african scumbags that are creating havoc in certain areas did well getting their free houses so quick

What do they offer to society ?

****ing **** all

I'd say there are plenty half asleep sitting on early morning buses traveling that far or further on basic enough jobs, having got up early to make their sandwiches to cut down on their lunch costs and, after an hour or more of traveling, passing close enough to Richmond road area where the inhabitants are nicely tucked up asleep in bed

Are you assuming that all those who were allocated one of these houses are not in employment? You can work and earn up to €42k and qualify for social housing.

We don't actually know anything about these families. It could very well be that they are low income, working families, who get up every morning, make their lunch to save money, and go to work to.

The cost of private rental is probably why some of them ended up in homeless / accommodation in the first place. (priced out of it on low incomes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

All those african scumbags that are creating havoc in certain areas did well getting their free houses so quick

What do they offer to society ?

****ing **** all

Mod: Don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

Are you assuming that all those who were allocated one of these houses are not in employment? You can work and earn up to €42k and qualify for social housing.

We don't actually know anything about these families. It could very well be that they are low income, working families, who get up every morning, make their lunch to save money, and go to work to.

The cost of private rental is probably why some of them ended up in homeless / accommodation in the first place. (priced out of it on low incomes).

No. Why would I be assuming that? Are you assuming that all those sitting on the buses for hours are making a more than 42k? Does anyone have figures on what someone would be contributing to their house? I'm just wondering in terms of the person who is renting, say, on the Richmond road and working a full week and maybe earning 50k - take home pay of about 36.8k a year. And then you have their colleague, who works a 4 day week for a pro-rated 40k and 31.6k take home. So 100 quid a week difference in the pocket. If the latter gets a council house, will they also be financially better off? There is only one property I found for rent under houses on daft. It if 2.2k monthly. Is the person in the Council property likely to be paying more than 1800 a month? Because if they are not, then they are both financially better off and not having to work the extra day. Its a genuine question as I have no idea what a typical council rent would be.

Granted, it would be nice if everyone could live wherever they wanted to. That's one idealistic scenario. The other one is to let the market find its level. In the second one, if the price of housing in Dublin city is so that people in certain jobs cannot afford it, then under the idealistic view of allowing the market to find its own level, those workers would move elsewhere - creating a shortage of workers in that sector in Dublin, which in turn would increase wages for that sector. Under your argument, even in the scenario that the person is working, what is effectively happening is that the state is indirectly subsidizing employers so that they don't have to pay their staff the full economic cost of being available for work.

Both ideals are just that. You can't really implement either. So you are going to have to put your line in a grey area. I would try to draw it based on overall efficiency. If someone works and earns less, then give them a house further out. It won't cost the state as much and they won't have to charge the tenant as much.

Advertisement