Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forty families on Dublin housing list given keys to new homes

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

All those african scumbags that are creating havoc in certain areas did well getting their free houses so quick

What do they offer to society ?

****ing **** all

Drill rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Mr E wrote: »
    Mod: Don't post in this thread again.

Despite the rude language, you'd have to agree with the sentiment of the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

No. Why would I be assuming that? Are you assuming that all those sitting on the buses for hours are making a more than 42k? Does anyone have figures on what someone would be contributing to their house? I'm just wondering in terms of the person who is renting, say, on the Richmond road and working a full week and maybe earning 50k - take home pay of about 36.8k a year. And then you have their colleague, who works a 4 day week for a pro-rated 40k and 31.6k take home. So 100 quid a week difference in the pocket. If the latter gets a council house, will they also be financially better off? There is only one property I found for rent under houses on daft. It if 2.2k monthly. Is the person in the Council property likely to be paying more than 1800 a month? Because if they are not, then they are both financially better off and not having to work the extra day. Its a genuine question as I have no idea what a typical council rent would be.

Granted, it would be nice if everyone could live wherever they wanted to. That's one idealistic scenario. The other one is to let the market find its level. In the second one, if the price of housing in Dublin city is so that people in certain jobs cannot afford it, then under the idealistic view of allowing the market to find its own level, those workers would move elsewhere - creating a shortage of workers in that sector in Dublin, which in turn would increase wages for that sector. Under your argument, even in the scenario that the person is working, what is effectively happening is that the state is indirectly subsidizing employers so that they don't have to pay their staff the full economic cost of being available for work.

Both ideals are just that. You can't really implement either. So you are going to have to put your line in a grey area. I would try to draw it based on overall efficiency. If someone works and earns less, then give them a house further out. It won't cost the state as much and they won't have to charge the tenant as much.

Well it sounds like you are. I actually can't be bothered to reply to all that spiel above because its just an attempt at masking what is basically begrudgery against people being given a social home in Dublin.

For the record, I am not in social housing, live in Dublin and earn more then 42K a year.

Enjoy your Sunday. I hope these people in their new homes are enjoying cooking a nice Sunday dinner in their new kitchens for the first time, or are even out shopping for their new homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

AulWan wrote: »
    Well it sounds like you are. I actually can't be bothered to reply to all that spiel above because its just an attempt at masking what is basically begrudgery against people being given a social home in Dublin.

For the record, I am not in social housing, live in Dublin and earn more then 42K a year.

Enjoy your Sunday. I hope these people in their new homes are enjoying cooking a nice Sunday dinner in their new kitchens for the first time, or are even out shopping for their new homes.

"I'm alright Jack. I have my house in the city and am quite happy for the state to hoover up available stock and give to those who can't afford it. It helps to keep the supply of open-market housing stock low and hence keeps the price of my own house high. I don't have to get a bus from Drogheda or Navan. F the losers who do"

"I'm alright Jack. I have my house in the city and am quite happy for the state to hoover up available stock and give to those who can't afford it. It helps to keep the supply of open-market housing stock low and hence keeps the price of my own house high. I don't have to get a bus from Drogheda or Navan. F the losers who do"

My house is not in the city, its way outside it in the suburbs. A very reasonably priced one, at that. I don't really give too much consideration to what my house is worth as I have no intention of moving. Positive equity is no different from negative equity in that way. It only matters if you intend to sell. I also have a long commute of approx 90 minutes each way in heavy Dublin traffic every day - I have co-workers who commute from Navan and get home from work quicker then I do.

So yeah. Nice attempt at trying to make me out to be the bad guy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AulWan wrote: »

Lovely post and one I was about to make, Been thinking all day about this; smiling at the thought of the happiness of these first days. There is no feeling like it, believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Graces7 wrote: »
    Lovely post and one I was about to make, Been thinking all day about this; smiling at the thought of the happiness of these first days. There is no feeling like it, believe me

I'd say they're delighted alright. And smug thinking about the stupid saps who went and earned qualifications and got jobs and are now stuck on that early morning bus from Navan :) . Then smiling some more when they think of the saps paying for their nicely located handy life.

Right, so lets push all those who either are social welfare dependant (for whatever reason) or those who work, but who don't command huge wages, onto those buses half asleep to do the long commutes instead, so they can get to their minimum wage / low paid jobs (and paying the commuting costs out of those lower wages too). It's ok for them, but not for anyone earning over €42k?

That makes bucket loads of sense. Not.

It sounds like what you really want is for Dublin to become an enclave reserved only for those who are highly qualified and in high paying jobs, who can afford €2k plus rents to live in, and everyone else should just be pushed "further out" .

Wow - its The Hunger Games. We'll be reaping their kids next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Despite the rude language, you'd have to agree with the sentiment of the post.

You might, not everyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tony Tucker

You might, not everyone does.

How much tax do you pay in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How much tax do you pay in Ireland?

I no longer live in Ireland, i did pay plenty of tax for over 25 years when i did live/work there though.

I have 4 adult children all living/working in Dublin also paying taxes so don't start with the whole "no right to comment" or whatever other crap you were about to spout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd say they're delighted alright. And smug thinking about the stupid saps who went and earned qualifications and got jobs and are now stuck on that early morning bus from Navan :) . Then smiling some more when they think of the saps paying for their nicely located handy life.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nermal

All social housing inside the M50 should be sold. The money raised should be used to build cheaper social housing outside it.

Advertisement