Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof problems in survey

• 19-07-2019 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, I got an engineer's survey/report before I bought a bungalow recently and the house was built in early 80s and wasn't lived in for 6 months prior to the survey- with no heat on at all. I now own the house and the little bit of money I had earmarked for stuff recommended in the report has completely dwindled (buying beds, fridge, etc!). I have 6,000 euros left at the moment and just want an opinion on some of these recommendations

Situation 1: Truss members & laps on felt (from survey)
    The laps on the felt are poor installed in some locations. Ideally the lap on the felt should be a minimum of 100mm but in some locations the lap on the felt is only 20 to 40mm. This situation increases the risk of moisture ingress through the laps in the felt during poor weather conditions. This situation should be monitored to clarify if improvement works repairs are required to the roofing felt where poor have been installed. Please note that the pitch on the roof is low which also increases the risk of moisture ingress through joints on the tiles and therefore the installation of the felt is an important factor. One truss member on the roof at the chimney location has been poorly trimmed and improvement works repairs to this truss member should be carried out. Also during improvement works I would advise that gable end straps be suitable installed to all rafters and joists at all gable walls and that cross bracing of the truss members should be installed to improve the structural integrity of the roof.

Situation 2: Chimneystack (from survey)
    The chimneystack in the attic is saturated and investigation works are required to the chimney externally to qualify the extent of repairs required to the chimney. Repairs to the flashing might be required or the chimney might be cracked damaged externally where the chimney might need to be taken down below roof level and re constructed. Aerials on the chimney should be removed and re-located as these items increase the risk of damage to the chimney structure. Damaged timbers at the chimney location should be suitable treated / repaired.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone here have a rough idea if these are big jobs and a ballpark figure? Like 10 grand, 15, 20? I feel like I will try to get them sorted as soon as possible but realistically I won't have the funds for another year and a half/ 2 years. I'm a worrier and I feel like I'm tempting fate here. Thanks

Advertisement