Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe is sleepwalking its way to another lost decade

• 19-07-2019 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭

If you take your head outside Europe and looks at what other countries are saying especially America about the Eurozone were goosed we just don't know it yet. A hard brexit or even a brexit with an already limping Europe could cause serious problems.

Both these were headlines yesterday in the states.

CNN yesterday https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/18/business/europe-economy-lost-decade/index.html

Europe has a bad case of 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'
    Fox Yesterday https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/europe-america-united-states-trump-varney

The anti European sentiment is growing. Brexit is going to hurt europe bad and seen as we've been such collective assholes to their president (the blimp) I wouldn't expect him to pick us up when were down.

Are they right, are we in a mess? The papers here say the Economy is roaring ahead. Might be a blip with brexit but in general everything is brilliant, nothing to worry about. Keep buying stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It might be nice if you said something about the links instead of just pasting them.
    The anti European sentiment is growing. Brexit is going to hurt europe bad and seen as we've been such collective assholes to their president (the blimp) I wouldn't expect him to pick us up when were down.

Are they right, are we in a mess? The papers here say the Economy is roaring ahead. Might be a blip with brexit but in general everything is brilliant, nothing to worry about. Keep buying stuff.

Brexit will only hurt Europe bad in the collective imaginations of the Little Englanders. People have a right to protest Trump. The West shouldn't have to pander to that thin-skinned, putrescent narcissist.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

Brexit is going to hurt europe bad and seen as we've been such collective assholes to their president (the blimp) I wouldn't expect him to pick us up when were down.

A hard crash out brexit is still unlikely. Ignore everything Boris says until he is PM.

Brexit alone won’t mess up Europe, it will take something else like another economic crash, which could lead to others trying to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jackboy wrote: »
    A hard crash out brexit is still unlikely. Ignore everything Boris says until he is PM.

Brexit alone won’t mess up Europe, it will take something else like another economic crash, which could lead to others trying to leave.

Tarrifs? Were calling over half their voters dumb ass right wing loons every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Tarrifs? Were calling over half their voters dumb ass right wing loons every day.

So what? They're the half that have no interest in detail or broadening their exposure to current affairs beyond their goldfish bowl.
    Also if you think we're sneering at them, you can be bloody sure they're more than sneering at us. But they always were, brexit just crystallised it.

I'm being very glib of course but it's my barstool answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

If you take your head outside Europe and looks at what other countries are saying especially America about the Eurozone were goosed we just don't know it yet. A hard brexit or even a brexit with an already limping Europe could cause serious problems.

Both these were headlines yesterday in the states.

CNN yesterday https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/18/business/europe-economy-lost-decade/index.html

Europe has a bad case of 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'
    Fox Yesterday https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/europe-america-united-states-trump-varney

I wouldnt give a second of thought to any "news" thats comes from Fox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I wouldnt give a second of thought to any "news" thats comes from Fox

That's what you've been programmed to do so no surprise there but when CNN are on the same page there's a little more too it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

That's what you've been programmed to do so no surprise there but when CNN are on the same page there's a little more too it.

Programmed? Do you also think weve been programmed to believe the earth is round? CNN are no better, they both just have pro US agendas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Brexit will only hurt Europe bad in the collective imaginations of the Little Englanders. People have a right to protest Trump. The West shouldn't have to pander to that thin-skinned, putrescent narcissist.
    So tell us how you really feel.
    The partiality in that comment doesn't surprise me, which is why many of us do not post in the slanted Politics forum that you seem to own. I had to look up the definition of Little Englanders: "A pathetic, supposedly derogatory term used by the hard-left to attempt to ridicule a patriotic English person."

I guess the news yesterday of a no-deal Brexit putting 70,000 new hires this coming year in Ireland in serious jeopardy came from a Little Englander ....... instead of an Irish economist.

Europe is indeed sleepwalking into another lost decade, and the leaders in Brussels seems to be shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity. Their concept of a federated Europe is not the Europe that many of us signed up for years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That fox article is some of the worst scutter I've ever read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Less than half. Most of them voted against Trump, remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Kivaro wrote: »
    The partiality in that comment doesn't surprise me, which is why many of us do not post in the slanted Politics forum that you seem to own. I had to look up the definition of Little Englanders: "A pathetic, supposedly derogatory term used by the hard-left to attempt to ridicule a patriotic English person."

That’s the OED is it?
    I guess the news yesterday of a no-deal Brexit putting 70,000 new hires this coming year in Ireland in serious jeopardy came from a Little Englander ....... instead of an Irish economist.

The topic is about how Brexit will affect Europe, so that’s pertinent although a link would be nice.
    Europe is indeed sleepwalking into another lost decade, and the leaders in Brussels seems to be shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity. Their concept of a federated Europe is not the Europe that many of us signed up for years ago.

I’m inclined to agree on that one although I think a Europe of Nations with a strong army is important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I only have your word for this. Feel free to post a source.

Meaningless Brexity soundbites.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The partiality in that comment doesn't surprise me, which is why many of us do not post in the slanted Politics forum that you seem to own. I had to look up the definition of Little Englanders: "A pathetic, supposedly derogatory term used by the hard-left to attempt to ridicule a patriotic English person.".
    Gosh, I wonder where you looked up that definition? 'Cause it bears no resemblance at all to the definition I found in the Oxford English Dictionary.

Your comments about the partiality of others posts are rather undermined by the obvious partiality of your own. Did that not occur to you before you decided to hunt for a partisan definition of the term "Little Englander"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

ah, its the pensioners collective fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The whole system is a sham built on credit and never ending growth, best just to go with the flow.
    But I'd like to think that if I save now I might just be able to buy a house when the whole thing goes south again, but who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I only have your word for this. Feel free to post a source.

Meaningless Brexity soundbites.

If you listened or read news reports, you could have easily found sources. The Central Bank said today that:
    "a hard Brexit will bring economic growth here crashing down from the fastest in the eurozone to the slowest. It would hammer the Irish economy across the board."
    Also "There would be more than 100,000 fewer jobs over the medium term compared to their forecast if a deal on Brexit can be reached."

The Irish Central Bank must be full of Little Englanders by giving us this negative news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you listened or read news reports, you could have easily found sources. The Central Bank said today that:
    "a hard Brexit will bring economic growth here crashing down from the fastest in the eurozone to the slowest. It would hammer the Irish economy across the board."
    Also "There would be more than 100,000 fewer jobs over the medium term compared to their forecast if a deal on Brexit can be reached."

The Irish Central Bank must be full of Little Englanders by giving us this negative news.

We're already at full employment with warnings about the economy overheating again, nobodies really that bothered about a slowdown in the rate of job creation that seems to get you so excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

What we can say with confidence is, that if there is another crash coming, most Irish people will stick their heads in the sand and live in a state of collective denial until it hits them in the face.

Exactly like they did the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The whole system is a sham built on credit and never ending growth, best just to go with the flow.
    But I'd like to think that if I save now I might just be able to buy a house when the whole thing goes south again, but who knows?

Of course it's a sham. We live in a world that celebrates economic growth over all else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

What we can say with confidence is, that if there is another crash coming, most Irish people will stick their heads in the sand and live in a state of collective denial until it hits them in the face.

Exactly like they did the last time.

And they'll ring Jooooooooe Duffy and continue to vote FG/FF rinse and repeat.

Brexit will be the whipping boy wait and see but we all know deep down Brexit or no Brexit it will end the same way it always does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Of course it's a sham. We live in a world that celebrates economic growth over all else.
    It's a crap system but its the best one available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

Thargor wrote: »
    We're already at full employment with warnings about the economy overheating again, nobodies really that bothered about a slowdown in the rate of job creation that seems to get you so excited.

Job creation is vital. Job losses are continuous and if the rate of job creation does not at least match that then we are in trouble.

Advertisement