Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Workplace or Colleague

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just wanted to post a thread asking for some advice regarding my workplace.

For some background, I am in corporate/professional services, and have been in my current role for around 6 months.

I interviewed back at the start of the year and was very impressed by the company, I was offered decent money, the option of flexibile starting times, remote working a couple of times a week, training and development and a flat structure- so you had autonomy over your work and how you chose to conduct it.

I started the role fully convinced I was joining a company that would value its staff and that it would be somewhere I would want to stay for a long time, as I was leaving a job I enjoyed and was happy in.

Upon starting, I realised the company had been missold to me, as well as their organisation and efficency, namely for the following reasons:

Within 2 months, 3 staff in an office of 7 left- 2 senior and a junior member- they stated that they were leaving due to irrerepable differences and being unable to work with a senior member of staff within our office- 2 months later, only 1 replacement has been made.

A gentleman who works in my office (not a manager however, as it's a flat structure) is very overbearing, and seems to have taken it upon himself to direct others in how to work and what they can or can't do.

He is very inappropriate in the workplace, speaks without thinking regardless of who he offends or what people around him are feeling- generally making people feel silly/incompetent.

As well as this, he has rejected people's request to work remotely, as was promised in the interview, agreed to flexible work hours (i.e. starting an hour earlier in the mornings) only to rescind it a month alter and say that this could no longer be accommodated. He is constantly in late, 10-20 minutes, leaving early 10-20 minutes and takes holidays/working from home days without letting people know in advance- so any queries that you may have from him, will go unanswered. When he is there, he's extremely disorganised, does not respond to emails, manages to forget everything that you communicate with him and is the most stubborn person you could meet in the workplace.

He has had run-ins with candidates, who have accused him of bullying- and kept records of same, only for it to be swept under the rug. This particular candidate actually approached the Director regarding only to be essentially told that 'it is how it is' as he doesn't want to offend the Senior team member, as they need him to stay.

At this point, I am unsure if it's a case of one bad egg ruining the bunch, or the culture of the workplace is just not strong. I'm now in 2 minds as to whether to look for something new or stick it out.

This particular senior staff member who has been a cause of a lot of stress is actually due to go travelling for a few months at the end of 2019 so i'm in 2 minds as to what to do at the moment, i'm looking for some advise from other members- would you stick it out for the few months and see if things improve when this person leaves? Or just chalk it down to experience and realise that it's probably not going to change anytime soon?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Advertisement