Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby Championship 2019 chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ref called knock on straight away before his assistant butted in. Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Jacovs

NZ players looking like wtf just happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

You've got to love the optimism of SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Still haven't seen anything to be absolutely terrified of from a northern hemisphere perspective.

England my pick at the moment.

SA deserved to win. Kinda funny it took something completely flukey for them to snatch a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Why would it have been a knock on anyway - the ball didn't touch the ground so surely it shouldn't have mattered?

Quite a result. SA have a chance to win the tournament.

I'm not convinced we've seen the All Blacks show their full hand, but I think the bigger news story is that ANYONE can win the tournament.

All Blacks look more vulnerable than they have in a long time, South Africa have improved but they showed very little in that second half.

Playing field looking very level going into the World Cup.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Why would it have been a knock on anyway - the ball didn't touch the ground so surely it shouldn't have mattered?

It mattered if it was knocked on into an All Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Basil3 wrote: »
    It mattered if it was knocked on into an All Black

Ah, of course, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Delighted for SA. They look to be coming into serious form again for the RWC

Why on earth didn't he run under the posts at the end though? Left a very tricky kick, which thankfully he nailed, but could easily have missed

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced we've seen the All Blacks show their full hand, but I think the bigger news story is that ANYONE can win the tournament.

All Blacks look more vulnerable than they have in a long time, South Africa have improved but they showed very little in that second half.

Playing field looking very level going into the World Cup.

Haven't NZ not won this tournament the last two times in a World Cup year though? And they won those world cups

I'd imagine they're well and truly aiming to peak in October not July

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure what to make of that game. NZ were quite poor at times. SA’s blitz/miles offside defense caused all sorts of problems. Normally you’d expect NZ teams to adjust to that and punish it, but there was a lot of sloppy play. What worries me from an Irish perspective is that we really struggle to handle an aggressive blitz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Whats the difference between RG Snymans charge that injured Retallick and Taniela Tupou's that got a yellow card last week?

That Arg jersey ain't half bad

Stadium is half empty.

Australian rugby is in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hope Retallick can get back for the World Cup. Yet another player injured being cleared out in a ruck when he wasn’t interfering in the play.

"Could be a record crowd for an Australia v Argentina game"

The entire top tier of the stadium is empty, never mind the all the other empty seats. Nearly the same capacity as Aviva

troyzer wrote: »
    Stadium is half empty.

Australian rugby is in serious trouble.

It might be, but crowds aren't actually that big a problem in the international game. In fairness a match v Argentina in the middle of winter is a bad example. You simply won't get the casual fans out to this one. And half full is an exaggeration

The summer tours and Bledisloe cup games always get massive crowds for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Great passage of play there. Had everything.

chupacabra wrote: »
    Great passage of play there. Had everything.

Already looks a fun game in the making!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Could be a record crowd for an Australia v Argentina game"

The entire top tier of the stadium is empty, never mind the all the other empty seats. Nearly the same capacity as Aviva

Did they specify which record was being broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That pass was a mile forward.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Did they specify which record was being broken?
    For Australia v Argentina test match in Australia
    Its predicted, no official attendance yet.

So many daft errors by the Aussies

They do strike me as a side who may have a huge performance in them somewhere in the world cup though. They like to throw it about and if it clicks in a game they could be devastating

R Kelly looks like he injured his arm

SuprSi wrote: »

I've always wondered... that ball was knocked forward quite high and far forward before being collected. At what point is that a pass forward to yourself? Rather than being considered juggled and collected?

I've always wondered... that ball was knocked forward quite high and far forward before being collected. At what point is that a pass forward to yourself? Rather than being considered juggled and collected?

It's illegal to intentionally throw the ball forward, whether you catch it again or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Argentina player tackled before he received the ball/off the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It would only be a pass forward if you intentionally passed it over someone's head. Unless someone else touches the ball, the player can juggle the ball all they like and it wont be given as a forward pass.

• Advertisement

Hope Retallick can get back for the World Cup. Yet another player injured being cleared out in a ruck when he wasn’t interfering in the play.

Reading on twitter that it's a dislocated shoulder and unfortunately it's more likely to be a season ender than not.

It's possible to get back within 8 - 10 weeks but generally it's 3 months +

Hoping it's not as bad as all that and he's back in time, he's one of the best players in the world and you want to see that calibre in a World Cup.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Argentina are crap.

awec wrote: »
    Argentina are crap.

This goes over and they only need a try to win!

Reading on twitter that it's a dislocated shoulder and unfortunately it's more likely to be a season ender than not.

It's possible to get back within 8 - 10 weeks but generally it's 3 months +

Hoping it's not as bad as all that and he's back in time, he's one of the best players in the world and you want to see that calibre in a World Cup.

Confirmed now. That's his world cup done.

Gutted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah terrible if Retallick misses the WC. Pretty much my favourite non Irish player in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

OK, I have to concede Grant Marshall correctly disputed a penalty that had gone in the AB’s favour at 55.33.

South Africa look like a serious outfit these days, well organised again. Kolbe’s running is a joy to watch and he puts in a load of tackles too.

In my completely uninformed opinion, that hit on Retallick shouldn’t be legal. A player in a ruck has no defence against somebody running into his side like that. I’d like a little more protection for players so they’d have a reasonable chance of making the big events. This may be the soccer virus talking but rugby has to look at its attrition rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

NZ commentators being more than fair here at 73.17. My whole belief system is crumbling.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »
    Ah terrible if Retallick misses the WC. Pretty much my favourite non Irish player in the last couple of years.

All the sounds are that he'll be good to go... No structural damage to his shoulder.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All the sounds are that he'll be good to go... No structural damage to his shoulder.

That's good news.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the clear out, to be honest. It served absolutely no purpose other than to take a man out, and the angle of entry was highly questionable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's good news.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the clear out, to be honest. It served absolutely no purpose other than to take a man out, and the angle of entry was highly questionable.

I'd disagree strongly.

The clear out was text book.... Retallick cannot expect to loiter on the wrong side of a ruck without being cleared. It must happened that RG is a fcuking huge beast of a man.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'd disagree strongly.

The clear out was text book.... Retallick cannot expect to loiter on the wrong side of a ruck without being cleared. It must happened that RG is a fcuking huge beast of a man.

I suggest you watch again. Retallick wasn't on the wrong side of the ruck, in fact he was the AB's hindmost player in the ruck.

The angle of entry was in from the side, how else did he end up on the ground with Retallick on the completely opposite side of the ruck?

I suggest you throw out your textbook.

Have even attached a couple of pretty pictures for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not sure what you want here, a citing?

Not at all, and the All Black's won't cry about it. I'm just surprised more wasn't made about the angle of entry, especially because of the injury that resulted.

The point is that if he entered from directly in front of Retallick, and forced him directly backwards, chances are he wouldn't have been injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty sure its just to emphasise once again that these illegal entries to clear rucks is causing bad entries. Rucks are a complete free for all and really need to be better officiated and clearer laws need to be brought in.

Haven’t we lost two players from dangerous entry this year ourselves and ex players and commentators are banging on about the ruck all the time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If the refs held to the law, which states players have to keep shoulders above hips and stay on their feet, it wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If the refs held to the law, which states players have to keep shoulders above hips and stay on their feet, it wouldn't be an issue.

This ^^^ it’s not like the laws aren’t there already, they’re just being ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

How good was Kolbe yesterday, and how **** was Le Roux. Surprised Rassie didn't execute him at half time.

Kolbe was everywhere, buzzing with the ball in hand and defensive rock.

In this particular incident, that wasn't an issue...unless you're saying Snyman flew in with his head under his hips (which I don't think he did).

I agree though, at virtually every breakdown you could find multiple infringements (to the letter of the law).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

aloooof wrote: »
    Will BB still retain kicking duties?
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Why is Barret kicking?

I didn't see the match in full, but this was my thoughts as well. He missed one fairly straight forward penalty again. You'd have to think it'll cost them at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I just want consistency. the "justice for bakkies" clearout on Adam Jones was a citing in 2009.
    Tupou got yellow carded against SA for a great clearout ( admittedly close to the whistle) .
    Snyman's was as egregious going by those precedents .

I don't know what constitutes a foul here anymore.

This sort of missiling into rucks is the same thing that injured Dan Leavy and now Retallick

• Advertisement
Advertisement