Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LGBT Student Accommodation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The independent article https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-university-launches-housing-aimed-only-at-lgbt-students-38326698.html

"Anyone applying to the University of Limerick (UL) for this September will be able to request accommodation available only to lesbian, gay and transgender students."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I mean this is not mandatory and all LGBT are not forced to live if they were I would have an issue.

It is a shame that some people only want to live with others of the same sexuality but I dont think we can force them either.

I would with the those allied with the LGBT. What does that mean and how do they decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So it doesn't appear to be exclusively for LGBT folks, rather it's aimed towards LGBT folk and friendly people.

Basically there's a much less chance of someone calling you a dyke or ****** or just being a dick to you in general because you're LGBT.

What's the problem?

I think some people here are just pissed off that theres places being set up where homophobia and transphobia won't be tolerated. Bizarre really. Its kind of like they are demanding the world and all spaces in it must be homophobic and transphobic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So it doesn't appear to be exclusively for LGBT folks, rather it's aimed towards LGBT folk and friendly people.

Basically there's a much less chance of someone calling you a dyke or ****** or just being a dick to you in general because you're LGBT.

What's the problem?

I agree with you in the main but who are the friendly people. How are they to decide. I would guess a majority would be that. Unless they build a wall and a gate in who is going is going to stop x or y walking in and shouting those things. The problem is by doing this and it been public a big red sign has just been painted for any idiot

I agree with you in the main but who are the friendly people. How are they to decide. I would guess a majority would be that. Unless they build a wall and a gate in who is going is going to stop x or y walking in and shouting those things. The problem is by doing this and it been public a big red sign has just been painted for any idiot

I guess they are self defined.

Like why would any person who is homophobic or transphobic pretend to be lgbtqi+ friendly so they can move in to start screaming at people?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The independent article https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-university-launches-housing-aimed-only-at-lgbt-students-38326698.html

"Anyone applying to the University of Limerick (UL) for this September will be able to request accommodation available only to lesbian, gay and transgender students."

Either the media is misrepresenting or they have intention used vague language to avoid accusations of discrimination either way putting yourself on a pedestal and self segregation won't work out well.

I think some people here are just pissed off that theres places being set up where homophobia and transphobia won't be tolerated. Bizarre really. Its kind of like they are demanding the world and all spaces in it must be homophobic and transphobic.

I think a lot feel college should be with no segregation and all should mingle and get on and chat. My fear is this could increase and not decrease all of this as it paints a big red target on them for any idiot to come to this place. Another fear is those who are just recently out and has a high fear will get it reinforced if they live with others who are militant anti straight (not written well I know).

Also they still need to mix with everyone around the university and lectures. So any phobia issues will not decrease

Calhoun wrote: »
    Either the media is misrepresenting or they have intention used vague language to avoid accusations of discrimination either way putting yourself on a pedestal and self segregation won't work out well.

When you went to college did you decide who you would room with. Is this not the same thing

In the official statement it only says LGBT, no mention of the i or +, maybe thats what they mean by the allied community.

Regardless, you now have student accommodation, then you have international, LGBT and Disabled accommodation.

• Advertisement

I think a lot feel college should be with no segregation and all should mingle and get on and chat. My fear is this could increase and not decrease all of this as it paints a big red target on them for any idiot to come to this place. Another fear is those who are just recently out and has a high fear will get it reinforced if they live with others who are militant anti straight (not written well I know).

Also they still need to mix with everyone around the university and lectures. So any phobia issues will not decrease

I dont see how there is segregation when everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity is welcome.

I dont really understand your "militant anti straight" concerns.

Terry Pratchet

I guess they are self defined.

Like why would any person who is homophobic or transphobic pretend to be lgbtqi+ friendly so they can move in to start screaming at people?

You would be surprised maybe they think they can convert which is totally insane.

I was thinking more of the idiot who be hoping to same sex action and hope to be invited. Unfortunately more of them and they are creepy

In the official statement it only says LGBT, no mention of the i or +, maybe thats what they mean by the allied community.

Regardless, you now have student accommodation, then you have international, LGBT and Disabled accommodation.

Whats the big deal?

Terry Pratchet

When you went to college did you decide who you would room with. Is this not the same thing

I didn't put a press statement out saying straight people preferred but LGBT that are kinda ok would be allowed.

If i did something like that the uproar would be mighty.

You would be surprised maybe they think they can convert which is totally insane.

I was thinking more of the idiot who be hoping to same sex action and hope to be invited. Unfortunately more of them and they are creepy

What?

Are you trying to say "Militant anti straights will convert young recently out gay people who are a bit scared into being Militant anti straight"

Cos yes that is insane!!!

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

This kind of segregation is a backwards step, I think.

Being gay should not have to be remarkable and as long as it is we've not achieved inclusivity.

One of the better approaches I've seen online was regards restrooms and how to label them. One place simply labelled them 'cubicles' and 'cubicles and urinals'. No fuss, just choose what you feel suits, how you identify doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

So what we are saying is that we want the LGBT to be put into a position of power to decide based upon sexuality or whatever they decide they will grant access to this place to live.

How will these new elites figure out if your on the level?

So its simply just a tactic to put a certain group on a pedestal and give them a bit of power to decide who is ok and who isn't. An Us V them tactic and will probably do more harm than good.

Be interesting to see it expanded wider, the targets it would paint.

I dont see how there is segregation when everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity is welcome.

I dont really understand your "militant anti straight" concerns.

Sorry should have made my opinion clear as I do not think its segregation. People decided all the time where and who to live with. It is what other people think. Also they need to define those allied with LGBT. Militant was a wrong word.

But let say an 18 year old gay person going to college. Not much experience meets a person who has extreme views as a roommate. Gets his mind filled.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I didn't put a press statement out saying straight people preferred but LGBT that are kinda ok would be allowed.

If i did something like that the uproar would be mighty.

Nice dodge nice dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The hell are you talking about>

Militant anti-straight? Converting people?

Last time I checked, it's straight people attempting to convert gay people in forced camps and bible verses. Haven't seen the opposite going on.

What?

Are you trying to say "Militant anti straights will convert young recently out gay people who are a bit scared into being Militant anti straight"

Cos yes that is insane!!!

Yes it is insane my brain is not in full gear today and not writing great. New as soon and should have not said anything. Time to bow out before I make an even bigger a*** of myself

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's quite simple, UL made a big bu bu here.

There's no point in trying to justify an idiotic idea.

Call a spade a spade, they're undermining the LGBT community and their own security.

They're undermining the straight people too, therefore it's an absolute oxymoronic idea which backfired.

I often read the book called the Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen as a kid.

It was a light bulb moment at 7 and reading threads like this reminds me of that story.

Oh don't say anything about the professor, the establishment and it's ideas.

Even if the hypocrisy is staring you in the face.

Whats the big deal?

I'm a friend of the big nose community. There desperately underrepresented. Where's the safe space for them.

This is what happens when you row too much to one side..

602x338_cmsv2_d88da599-84ed-5201-a45d-8608bf74db71-4034822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s a crazy idea from a university that thought it was virtue signaling.
    Segregation based on sexuality is a terrible idea, thank God this kind of thing didn’t catch on in the past or we’d still have homophobic attitudes.
    Shared accommodation with gay people in my twenties, good for all sides, brought me to gay bars I’d never have gone to otherwise, hopefully being around a young heterosexual man was good for them too, think we learned fairly quickly there was nothing to divide us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But let say an 18 year old gay person going to college. Not much experience meets a person who has extreme views as a roommate. Gets his mind filled.

With any luck he’ll be hoping to get more than just his mind filled* :pac:

*I suppose that depends too on whether he prefers the top or bottom bunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If they have LGBT only accommodation the fair thing to do would be to have straight only accommodation too.

See how ridiculous that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Where is the safe space accommodation in UL for:
    1. Disabled students
    2. Black students.
    3. Religious students.
    4. International students.
    All of whom can claim to be minorities in need of feeling safe.

There’s no words really for this.

The more I think about this the worse it seems. Segregation is the opposite of integration and I would have thought gay people were fully integrated into society by now, the Taoiseach is gay, the Cork hurling team had a gay captain.

If this kind of shoite catches on it will be a huge backward step for society and the gay community.

Virtue signaling, people wanting to show how inclusive they are by introducing segregation based on sexuality, will do far more harm than good.

I was studying in UCC during the mid 90's there was a group of us from all over the world and rural Ireland.

12 of us got acquainted with each other, one was openly bisexual the other was a transvestite from Malaysia, one gay, one hard bstrd from Knocknaheeny, few heavy mettlers from Carrigaline a Goth girl and sporty spice kind of girl, and me the raving housey music guy from the middle of the Burren.
    Sometimes we even piled into Loafer's the gay bar on Douglas Street for a few pints.

There was no discrimination, none whatsoever..

Just goes to show how backwards UL are going...

Ended up at mass a few weeks ago, the priest said he'd rather be called a sinner than virtuous. Dedicated the prayers of the faithful to people in public office. Not at all impressed with our dear virtuous leader.

nthclare wrote: »
    I was studying in UCC during the mid 90's there was a group of us from all over the world and rural Ireland.

12 of us got acquainted with each other, one was openly bisexual the other was a transvestite from Malaysia, one gay, one hard bstrd from Knocknaheeny, few heavy mettlers from Carrigaline a Goth girl and sporty spice kind of girl, and me the raving housey music guy from the middle of the Burren.
    Sometimes we even piled into Loafer's the gay bar on Douglas Street for a few pints.

There was no discrimination, none whatsoever..

Just goes to show how backwards UL are going...

For me it was going through secondary school in Bray, one of the lads came out in sixth year. We had all grown up together during our teen years doing usual teenage ****.

I know for our social group things didn't really change , although I know it wasn't always easy for him.

During the marriage referendum he was the paradigm shift for allot of our group without even knowing it. Just him being a friend was the difference for allot of people because it wasn't an un related issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Ended up at mass a few weeks ago, the priest said he'd rather be called a sinner than virtuous. Dedicated the prayers of the faithful to people in public office. Not at all impressed with our dear virtuous leader.

who is tbh?

paw patrol wrote: »
    who is tbh?

I don't know anyone who's impressed with our leader.

I suppose one can be impressed with the fact he's able to go about his business and talk his way out of any negative situation.

He's got some ball's I think he's quite confident and probably well in over his head, but trying his best to coast along.

He won't stay in politics, he's going on to better places.

I'd say he's ok, I met him year's ago and he'd chat away.
    I was a total stranger and we were in a que and he chatted away while waiting to be served....

If he was anywhere else besides the political arena he'd be grand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

splinter65 wrote: »
    Where is the safe space accommodation in UL for:
    1. Disabled students
    2. Black students.
    3. Religious students.
    4. International students.
    All of whom can claim to be minorities in need of feeling safe.

There’s no words really for this.

But would they also have Free accommodation for students from poor backgrounds ? And next question ... is all accommodation prioritized pending on academic results, or only student orientation matters ?

As a gay person you’re happy that gay people be segregated in gay/gay ally only accommodation while they study for 4 years as opposed to being supported by the very minority friendly general student body while they find their feet like all the other minorities?
    When they leave student life and move into the world of work how will this 4 years of being cocooned in a gay/gay ally domestic situation be of benefit to them?

UL are reacting to an issue that has been resolved because people didn’t take the kind of action UL are taking. Segregation is wrong and counter productive. This is a really retrograde step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

nthclare wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who's impressed with our leader.

I suppose one can be impressed with the fact he's able to go about his business and talk his way out of any negative situation.

He's got some ball's I think he's quite confident and probably well in over his head, but trying his best to coast along.

He won't stay in politics, he's going on to better places.

I'd say he's ok, I met him year's ago and he'd chat away.
    I was a total stranger and we were in a que and he chatted away while waiting to be served....

If he was anywhere else besides the political arena he'd be grand..

He was in a youth organisation called Young Europeans (I think, open to correction). It is like grooming youths to be politicians. I heard he wasnt much of a doctor either and more of a buck passer as a student doctor. That seems to have followed him in political life.

He is well on his way to be a minister in Brussels.

UL is a pure money racket

No different to the rest of them. Third level has gone from education to indoctrination. God be with the days you went to the RTCs got a cert and out into the work force with ye. Third level is kindergarten for grown adults. Crazy money and prices for education and a lot of it isnt fit for purpose.

What it says is..
    "THE University of Limerick (UL) is providing on-campus accommodation exclusively for students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and allied community."

What's the rules for being allowed into the allied community, how do you define it. Is there a membership fee?

It means that anyone who doesn't live there is a Bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

It's quite clear most people in this thread have never been to college as the vast majority seem to think that people are never allowed leave their accommodation once they enter it. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

He was in a youth organisation called Young Europeans (I think, open to correction). It is like grooming youths to be politicians. I heard he wasnt much of a doctor either and more of a buck passer as a student doctor. That seems to have followed him in political life.

He is well on his way to be a minister in Brussels.

People often say they've heard these kind of things about him as a doctor but they're not really true. He worked in a few different hospitals and the most negative thing I know that has been said by people who worked directly with him is that he was once annoyed at being called in the middle of the night about something he thought wasn't important. That was back in the days of 48 and 72 hour call shifts and he still got up just moaned about it. Thats when he was practicing, student doctors have no responsibility so there's no buck to pass there.

I don't like him politically, but he's bright and has always been a hard worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This might prove to be downright dangerous. It only takes one nut case and a can of petrol to attack an easy target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

It's open to everyone. You don't need to be lgbt. According to the article, it's for "students who identify as ". It doesn't say anything about actually being gay or anything like that.

So the whole trans movement is make believe?

Surely people wouldn't lie in order to gain advantages and a protected social status! Human nature is oh so honest and definitely not capable of such things.

People often say they've heard these kind of things about him as a doctor but they're not really true. He worked in a few different hospitals and the most negative thing I know that has been said by people who worked directly with him is that he was once annoyed at being called in the middle of the night about something he thought wasn't important. That was back in the days of 48 and 72 hour call shifts and he still got up just moaned about it. Thats when he was practicing, student doctors have no responsibility so there's no buck to pass there.

I don't like him politically, but he's bright and has always been a hard worker.

Well where was he when cervical cancer scandal was suppressed? How many more women were there before Vicki Phelan called them out.
    You have two choices to respond, either it was his radar as minister for health, so he didnt know what was going on in his own department or he was part of the suppression. Why hasnt he ordered an enquiry into how it happened?

Bright? He allow Richard Bruton to use him, Simon Covney and Olywn Enright to try and oust Enda Kenny?

Well where was he when cervical cancer scandal was suppressed? How many more women were there before Vicki Phelan called them out.
    You have two choices to respond, either it was his radar as minister for health, so he didnt know what was going on in his own department or he was part of the suppression. Why hasnt he ordered an enquiry into how it happened?

Bright? He allow Richard Bruton to use him, Simon Covney and Olywn Enright to try and oust Enda Kenny?

I'm not sure what you're replying to. I responded to you when you made a criticism of him being not much of a doctor which isn't really true. People that make those comments almost invariably never worked with him and when called up on them say they heard them second or third hand. The passing the buck comment as a medical student was either made up by yourself or someone who doesn't understand how medical education in Ireland works. If you change medical student to intern next time it'll be more believable.

Varadkar certainly is bright. He juggled being a doctor with his early political career and is Ireland's youngest Taoiseach. He's many things but he's not thick.

I'm not sure what you're replying to. I responded to you when you made a criticism of him being not much of a doctor which isn't really true. People that make those comments almost invariably never worked with him and when called up on them say they heard them second or third hand. The passing the buck comment as a medical student was either made up by yourself or someone who doesn't understand how medical education in Ireland works. If you change medical student to intern next time it'll be more believable.

Varadkar certainly is bright. He juggled being a doctor with his early political career and is Ireland's youngest Taoiseach. He's many things but he's not thick.

You cant ride two with one ass. How could possibly do those two jobs at the same time? One of those jobs done well would be all consuming. He is all hype with nothing done. He is a good boy and does what Brussels tells him. He has made no impact while he was minister for health. The corridors were lined in the wards in A&E.

• Advertisement

It means that anyone who doesn't live there is a Bigot.

Yes this is probably true too. I hadn’t thought of that. More lunacy.

You cant ride two with one ass. How could possibly do those two jobs at the same time? One of those jobs done well would be all consuming. He is all hype with nothing done. He is a good boy and does what Brussels tells him. He has made no impact while he was minister for health. The corridors were lined in the wards in A&E.

I don't like the man but for you to say he's not bright is a bit of a funny one. Doctor and Taoiseach.

I don't really have any interest in getting into a discussion about how he's been as a politician. The only reason I responded to you in the first place is that you regurgitated the same old misinformation about him being a poor doctor and a buck passer. Then when I tried to call you up on that you went off on a complete tangent about the cervical check scandal (presumably because you know there's no foundation for anything you've said about him as a doctor).

GarIT wrote: »
    If they have LGBT only accommodation the fair thing to do would be to have straight only accommodation too.

See how ridiculous that is?

Its not lgbt only though

Apparently nobody around here actually checks the details of what is being discussed.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the gays of UL need to be held in special camps. do the people who come up with these schemes have any conception how utterly dystopian and retrograde their world vision is? we are going backwards as a society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can we have special housing aimed at blacks while we're at it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement