Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom.net email account

Options
  • 19-07-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I have retained an old eircom.net email account for specific purposes such as online ordering etc. etc.

I have changed my SMTP server to Google's SMTP server, I assumed that my Gmail account was required for authentication purposes only and that my outgoing mail would show as being sent from my eircom.net account??

This is not the case, outgoing mail shows my gmail address rather than my eircom address - anyone know what other settings I need to change to correct this, or if it is possible to have the eircom.net address showing at all? Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

What internet provider are you with? If they have their own SMTP server you should probably use that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Why not use eir.ie/email/ (same as the old webmail.eircom.net) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

What internet provider are you with? If they have their own SMTP server you should probably use that instead.

My Internet provider is 3. I assume the same problem will persist whatever ISP I use, until such time as I get the Email settings correct?

Maidhci wrote: »
    My Internet provider is 3. I assume the same problem will persist whatever ISP I use, until such time as I get the Email settings correct?
    Try using mail-relay.3ireland.ie as the SMTP server (port 25, authentication off). This may work.

Try using mail-relay.3ireland.ie as the SMTP server (port 25, authentication off). This may work.

Thanks rabbidpeach -I had already tried this but unfortunately, it did not work. The only one setting that will work is the smtp@gmail.com but unfortunately, it is not the perfect solution given that outgoing mail shows the gmail account, as set out in 1st post.

• Advertisement

That server was switch off at the end of May this year. 3 don't have an SMTP relay anymore.

my3cents wrote: »
    That server was switch off at the end of May this year. 3 don't have an SMTP relay anymore.
    The OP is probably stuck with webmail so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ignore what rabbidpeach has said. You should relay via the Gmail servers and not relay via your ISP.

Go into your Gmail settings and make the required changes under the accounts section of your Gmail account. Add your eircom email address, reply to address etc. Job done.

If you're using outlook or similar let me know, I'll post up the settings. I have posted the settings previously in other threads.

The OP is probably stuck with webmail so.

Its what I do for eircom email addresses (also on three). I have outlook set to leave mail on server and read my eircom mail in outlook but I have to remember to switch to webmail to reply and delete mail while I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Last time I set this up GMail would not use eircom's outgoing SMTP server because it did not require authentication. Because of that I had to use GMail's own one and at other people's end they either saw the Gmail address or some ridiculous "GMail on behalf of Eircom.net" codswallop!

I found no solution in the end bar sending them from somewhere other than GMail that would utilise eircom's outgoing SMTP (which outlook had no problem doing).

This is a few years back so things may have changed.

• Advertisement

Ignore what rabbidpeach has said. You should relay via the Gmail servers and not relay via your ISP.

Go into your Gmail settings and make the required changes under the accounts section of your Gmail account. Add your eircom email address, reply to address etc. Job done.

If you're using outlook or similar let me know, I'll post up the settings. I have posted the settings previously in other threads.

Thanks Taylor Gifted Saleswoman, I am using Outlook to manage emails. It is the settings within Outlook that I need to change to allow me to send outgoing mail using my eircom.net account. I would very much appreciate if you could post these here at some point. Thanks for your help.

my3cents wrote: »
    Its what I do for eircom email addresses (also on three). I have outlook set to leave mail on server and read my eircom mail in outlook but I have to remember to switch to webmail to reply and delete mail while I'm there.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean here - my understanding is that eircom.net is POP3 only and I thought that once downloaded to Outlook, the emails don't appear in webmail any longer? I must be missing something here?

What I am trying to do is use my eircom.net account via Outlook - the POP3 settings are fine for incoming mail, the issue is SMTP settings for outgoing mail, I have now set this to Google's SMTP, but this creates another issue, as outline in my first post.

Set up your eircom email in your outlook if you haven't already done so.

Next, go into Outlook > FILE -> Account Settings. Double click on your listed Eircom email address that is listed. This will bring up the POP3 and IMAP settings.

Keep your incoming mail server as webmail.eircom.net. Keep your name/email address logon information as your eircom details.

Change your SMTP server to smtp.gmail.com

Click on More Settings. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select Log on using. Enter your full gmail address and password.

I believe there is one more settings for Secure Password Authentication. I believe you leave this unchecked.

Go back to the General tab and enter a Reply To address if needed. I don't believe it is needed as your mail will still appear to come from your eircom address without this.

And that's it.

Edit: If you're using Outlook 2016/2019, MS have changed the way you can access the settings. If you go through Outlook -> email accounts, the settings are limited to 'basic settings' and you won't be able to change the settings as I described.
    Instead go through CONTROL PANEL -> MAIL (MS outlook 2016) to access the email profile settings I mentioned.

Set up your eircom email in your outlook if you haven't already done so.

Next, go into Outlook > FILE -> Account Settings. Double click on your listed Eircom email address that is listed. This will bring up the POP3 and IMAP settings.

Keep your incoming mail server as webmail.eircom.net. Keep your name/email address logon information as your eircom details.

Change your SMTP server to smtp.gmail.com

Click on More Settings. Click the Outgoing Server tab. Check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select Log on using. Enter your full gmail address and password.

I believe there is one more settings for Secure Password Authentication. I believe you leave this unchecked.

Go back to the General tab and enter a Reply To address if needed. I don't believe it is needed as your mail will still appear to come from your eircom address without this.

And that's it.

That is exactly what I had done earlier today and it failed to work, as outlined in my first post. The mail goes out fine but with my gmail account address. As stated, I had assumed that this was required for authentication purposes only, but it doesn't appear to be the case - hence my initial post. All of the settings used are as outlined by you in your post with the exception of last paragraph - there is no provision in the General tab for a Reply to address....but as you state, it should not be needed, BUT the mail goes out with the Gmail address not eircom address.

Log into your Gmail via a web browser. Go into your settings. And check your send mail as settings under the Accounts tab.
    Edit: screenshots in this guide https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/free-smtp-server/

Log into your Gmail via a web browser. Go into your settings. And check your send mail as settings under the Accounts tab.
    Edit: screenshots in this guide https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/free-smtp-server/

Thank you for this - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Is eir webmail service down?

Seems to be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

and me

Working again this morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement