Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gizmos

• 19-07-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

As I drive a lhd van with a large overhang I am particularly conscious of the back right corner when going through gates etc. Having a reversing camera that supported two cameras I fitted one (mirror image) to cover the back of the van and one (normal image)to watch the back right corner. On several occasions when emptying the gray waste I found it very difficult to stop exactly over the grating so set the second camera so i could be moved to watch the drain which completely solved the problem.Recently I upgraded to a four camera flat colour screen so was able to devote on of the old b&w cameras to watch the drain.It is total luxury and as far as I know not available as standard even on high end vans.
    Do other members have any unnecessary but treasured gismos they find add a feature they value?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Itineoman

zambo wrote: »
    As I drive a lhd van with a large overhang I am particularly conscious of the back right corner when going through gates etc. Having a reversing camera that supported two cameras I fitted one (mirror image) to cover the back of the van and one (normal image)to watch the back right corner. On several occasions when emptying the gray waste I found it very difficult to stop exactly over the grating so set the second camera so i could be moved to watch the drain which completely solved the problem.Recently I upgraded to a four camera flat colour screen so was able to devote on of the old b&w cameras to watch the drain.It is total luxury and as far as I know not available as standard even on high end vans.
    Do other members have any unnecessary but treasured gismos they find add a feature they value?

#1 Air springs added to the rear to help tired rear suspension . Great for adjusting the spring stiffness for different loadings. Added benefit is changing the height of the rear ( big overhang like you OP) for leveling on sloped parking spots and for avoiding dragging the arse of the van getting on and off the boat.
    #2 Cheap 500W inverter used to charge countless phones laptops and iPads over the years.
    #3 Second leisure battery from Halfords - ( Now have 110Ah x2) giving days /a week of use.
    #4 Not really a van specific gizmo but a godsend for anyone fond of a Barbie but unwilling to stay at a campsite for the privilege of having one - air blown charcoal table top barbecue from Lidl. Can be used anywhere as it looks just like a gas grill. Takes about a litre of charcoal. Just back from ten days in Wales where we used it on beach car parks and other places you wouldn’t dream of taking out the usual kit.

TriMetric battery monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

The radio in my camper was faulty so bought one of these on Aliexpress. 165 euros, Has built in maps for europe and I will be linking it up to the reversing camera.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816764445.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57894c4dC8rLc2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Looks impressive, do report when its all working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

link? please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement