Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter and Quarry

• 19-07-2019 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats pretty cool.

I think one of the best things i saw, well almost saw :D , was the Prairie falcon (among others such as the Peregrine, etc) and the Duck. I watched a program on them a couple of years back and knew they were fast but feck me, this is quick.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Great vid.

Many years ago my Dad used to be a keen birdwatcher( and an even keener hunter) I used to be brought off to watch Peregrines on seacliffs. Saw a lot of really spectacular hunting with the birds stooping from a "dot" in the sky to kill rock doves at about 120-150 mph. Memories have always stayed with me.

Fast and all as they were, they missed a lot more times than they were successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Perhaps some of the "bird guys" will come along and share some knowledge, but does anyone rear or "use" falcons like the Peregrine?

I remember a documentary from a few years back on the BBC and they had a guy sky dive. Then released the Peregrine and it caught him without breaking a sweat.

Another one tested the speed and the fastest recorded speed of a PEregrine as over 240 MPH.

I seen this a few years back too and it makes you wonder. Could a little photoshopped but its cool none the less.

ANXfpcg.png

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looks like a good Documentry just started on RTE 1, Dynasties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

Cass wrote: »
    Perhaps some of the "bird guys" will come along and share some knowledge, but does anyone rear or "use" falcons like the Peregrine?

I attended a hawking day a few years ago where I saw a peregrine in action over a midland bog after a snipe which was put up by a setter.

The peregrine was released and went up a few hundred feet and flew around waiting for a snipe to be flushed. It stooped on the snipe which jinked at the last second and escaped. Once it was above the peregrine it was safe. This was something of a revelation to me as I thought the snipe had no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Tiercel would be most likely choice for snipe. Very few lads in Ireland using full bred peregrine. A lot of hybrids been used for certain quarry. A hobby falcon crossed with a pere would be ideal for snipe

Advertisement