Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this TT bike for me?

Options
  • 19-07-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Struggling to correctly identify this alleged Cervelo P5. I also posted over on TDAR but I think there's more eyes over here.....

Cervelo tell me they heat-stamp their serial number on all their BBs or dropouts but this doesn't have anything. Also the position of the rim brakes and the shape of the chain stays seem weird to me.

I couldn't place the year in which the P5 switched to a completely flush-with-the-TT/integrated stem either - perhaps you guys will know.

Is it real or a replica/fake? Would appreciate your thoughts as I have a potential decision in the balance...

Cheers - MM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It is odd to see one with the rear brake mounted like a standard road frame and not behind the BB so i'd say it's an old enough frame.

Here's another one similar but I wouldn't rule out the chances it's an aliexpress frame. BTW those wheels and colourways are vomit inducing

$_1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Struggling to correctly identify this alleged Cervelo P5. I also posted over on TDAR but I think there's more eyes over here.....

Cervelo tell me they heat-stamp their serial number on all their BBs or dropouts but this doesn't have anything. Also the position of the rim brakes and the shape of the chain stays seem weird to me.

I couldn't place the year in which the P5 switched to a completely flush-with-the-TT/integrated stem either - perhaps you guys will know.

Is it real or a replica/fake? Would appreciate your thoughts as I have a potential decision in the balance...

Cheers - MM.

thats not a cervelo p5 6 or 3, there's loads of differences starting with there is no size 50! its only out since 2013 and its initial design came from the p4 that had the back brakeset below the bb. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The wheels look very like ones, that were sold on ali-express and DH gate some years ago.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/sram-s80-rim-depth-88mm-carbon-road-bike/268161477.html

It's impossible to tell from the photos, that you linked, but the genuine Sram had a very distinctive rear hub, large diameter.
    https://www.triathlete.com/2009/06/features/on-test-sram-s80-wheelset_2272

I've just noticed. The genuine wheels, that I've linked have alloy braking surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The wheels look very like ones, that were sold on ali-express and DH gate some years ago.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/sram-s80-rim-depth-88mm-carbon-road-bike/268161477.html

It's impossible to tell from the photos, that you linked, but the genuine Sram had a very distinctive rear hub, large diameter.
    https://www.triathlete.com/2009/06/features/on-test-sram-s80-wheelset_2272

I've just noticed. The genuine wheels, that I've linked have alloy braking surface.

Just on the wheels, SRAM discontinued the S80 around 2013-2014 so you would very fortunate to pick up a pair in 2019 with only 40km on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a p5 here... its not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I found this, which was advertised as a replica and it looks very similar.
    Same seat and chain stays.
    http://berkelist.com/posts/349581

Nothing wrong with cheap frames from China IMO once you are not paying name brand prices for them, great bang for buck if you do your research. And of course only a scumbag would sell it as genuine name brand.

A well known cyclist of dubious moral virtue tried to sell me a fake P5 once. Which was hilarious since i owned 6 cervelos at the time and although i have cooled a little on the brand since it was taken over and the innovation slowed down, he probably couldn't have picked a worst target in western europe to try and dupe.

The real deal is nice by the way... mine hasn't been used in a couple of years but i must dust it off with all this talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What did you do? Just turn him down? Or call him out?

Called him out... at which point he tried to say that he never claimed it was a cervelo... despite bwing advertised as such.... then flipping to.. what did you expect for 3.5k with dura ace di2 etc...

Do your research before you buy anything like this.. some better fakes out these days. For some reason i often notice fake high end machines on donedeal from Donegal an awful lot.

What price was it mojomaker out of interest ? I had my 51cm one with zipp disc / 808, dura ace di2, powermeter, hydraulic brakes etc... up for around 4k recently.. i hope your guy was looking for a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    What price was it mojomaker out of interest ? I had my 51cm one with zipp disc / 808, dura ace di2, powermeter, hydraulic brakes etc... up for around 4k recently.. i hope your guy was looking for a lot less.

It was 2K Quigs.

Never saw your ad - pity.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I'm going to pass and lesson learned.

Thanks also to Joey100 who gave me some great info offline - thanks Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Good call.

I still have mine mojomaker.. i may yet sell.. that or the trek speed concept 9 i have (zipp disc / 808, powermeter, sram red)

Advertisement