Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus protection renewing with another company

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have no claims bonus protection with current insurer. I had a small claim 3 years ago but get full no claims bonus with them which equates to 5 years or 50 percent. If I renew with another insurer will I get full no claims with them or only 3 years worth of no claims?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

You’ll still have your full ncb but you’ll have to disclose the claim to the new insurer which I assume you have done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

treascon wrote: »
    You’ll still have your full ncb but you’ll have to disclose the claim to the new insurer which I assume you have done
    Well I've sent them the no claims bonus letter from my current insurer. I guess they will figure it out.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If they ask you about previous accidents you need to answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If they ask you about previous accidents you need to answer the question
    It wasn't an accident, it was a claim from car jack damage to sill on the car. Either way I'll chat to them Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

A no claims bonus is a marketing and rating tool used by insurers. It has no legal standing and any insurer is free to accept or refuse them (with or without a claim). Prospective insurers will apply their own acceptance criteria when considering a risk

Insurance regulations only require your current insurer to provide you with a statement of your claims history each year prior to renewal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A no claims bonus is a marketing and rating tool used by insurers. It has no legal standing and any insurer is free to accept or refuse them (with or without a claim).

We know all that. You work in the business, can you answer the OP's question - is a prospective insurer likely to respect his NCB protection or will they ignore it and base their quote on his recent claims history i.e. will he get a quote based on 3 or 5 years NCB?

On a purely commercial basis, I can't see how they'd care about his NCB protection. It's an extra layer of insurance that you pay for but I can see no reason why the new insurer should give you credit for it since they didn't get a cent of the premum you paid for the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I don't work in insurance sales. In theory, there's no reason why a prospective insurer should give you an extra discount just because you gave one of their competitors additional premium to protect their bonus with that company.

You won't know until you ask

Advertisement