Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aer lingus dublin jfk change of schedule.

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭

so i got an email today saying my flight to new york in february will now take 8hours 50 mins instead of 7h45m. have never been on a flight that long to jfk with EI. anyone able to fill me in what the extra hour flighttime is for???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

so i got an email today saying my flight to new york in february will now take 8hours 50 mins instead of 7h45m. have never been on a flight that long to jfk with EI. anyone able to fill me in what the extra hour flighttime is for???

I have a flight in November that had a schedule change. Departure time moved from 10.50 to 10.55 so 5 mins difference but the duration of the flight changed to 8h50. I rang AL reservations and got no explanation. They only said it was an 'estimated time of arrival'. Would love to know what's going on. When you search for the same flights as if you were going to buy them the old flight time is listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Must be a change of plane, they wouldn't be able to forecast the effect of the headwind (jetstream) this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

The cynic in me thinks there will be no change in actual flight time and this is just lessening the chance of having to give a plane load of passengers compensation if there is a significant delay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Looks like a time zone error, probably be 13.45 instead of 14.45 arrival.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Looks like a time zone error, probably be 13.45 instead of 14.45 arrival.

OP's advice was of the actual flight duration which has nothing to do with time zones. The clock duration of a westbound flight (which is affected by time zones) is currently 2.5 hours, e.g. EI105 departs DUB 10:50, arrives JFK 13:20. Flight duration is 7.5 hours.

US daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March so that's not an issue in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

coylemj wrote: »
    OP's advice was of the actual flight duration which has nothing to do with time zones. The clock duration of a westbound flight (which is affected by time zones) is currently 2.5 hours, e.g. EI105 departs DUB 10:50, arrives JFK 13:20. Flight duration is 7.5 hours.

US daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March so that's not an issue in any case.

Again clocks change in October. Its a time zone issue. It will land at 13.45 in winter. The issue affexts the whole winter season from 27 Oct to 29 Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

very unusual for them to add the extra hour though...have never seen it be that long of a flight. they specified that the flight would land at 14.45 local time rather than 13.45.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

arrives JFK 13:20...

Yes, this still applies to JFK in NY. It should be noted that not all states across the pond have DST. Arizona never changes its time, and California recently voted to have a permanent DST, although I am unfamiliar if and when it will come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

very unusual for them to add the extra hour though...have never seen it be that long of a flight. they specified that the flight would land at 14.45 local time rather than 13.45.
    It's a cock up. They've done it before.

Which would alter the flight time by a whole number of hours. According to your first post, the flight duration was changing by an hour and five minutes.

For the whole month of February, NYC and Dublin are five hours apart. Which they are for most of the summer and winter. So there's no excuse for that cockup.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Again clocks change in October. Its a time zone issue. It will land at 13.45 in winter. The issue affexts the whole winter season from 27 Oct to 29 Mar.

The US changes to DST earlier than us and stays on DST for longer than us, it was a change to save energy which started in 2005. There are a few weeks in March (second Sunday to the last Sunday) and the first week in November when NYC is only 4 hours behind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is that not 6 hour difference between 27th October (when Europe goes back) and 3rd November when US go back?

joeysoap wrote: »
    Is that not 6 hour difference between 27th October (when Europe goes back) and 3rd November when US go back?

No, during that week we are back on GMT (from GMT+1) but the US east coast is still on DST (GMT-4) so there's a four hour difference. When they put their clocks back in early November, they are then on GMT-5 and the 5 hour difference is restored.

Before the 2005 US act, Europe and the US put their clocks forward on the same weekend at the end of March but we went back to winter time on the last Sunday in October and they did the same one week later (first Sunday in November) so for just one week in the year, NYC was four hours behind Ireland.

For there to be a six hour difference, they would need to be on winter time while we were still on summer time but that hasn't happened in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Got it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

My flight from msp to dub has been changed twice now, they moved the departure time 15mins later and then changed it to an hour earlier or something like that anyway

ill ring aer lingus tomorrow and get an explanation hopefully. does seem like as you all have said its an error by someone

ill ring aer lingus tomorrow and get an explanation hopefully. does seem like as you all have said its an error by someone

It looks like the issue is the model of Airbus 330. I priced a DUB-JFK flight on Mon. Feb 3rd, 2020 and they gave me two options .....

1. Depart 10:55, flight duration 8h 50m. Airbus 330-300
    2. Depart 16:20, flight duration 7h 50m. Airbus 330-200

It's a nonstop flight so the only explanation is that the A330-200 is faster.

It looks like the issue is the model of Airbus 330. I priced a DUB-JFK flight on Mon. Feb 3rd, 2020 and they gave me two options .....

1. Depart 10:55, flight duration 8h 50m. Airbus 330-300
    2. Depart 16:20, flight duration 7h 50m. Airbus 330-200

It's a nonstop flight so the only explanation is that the A330-200 is faster.

10:55 Dublin (DUB) saturday march 28
    8h 50m
    EI 105 DUB - Terminal 2 Aer Lingus AIRBUS A330-300

10:50 Dublin (DUB) sunday march 29th
    7h 30m
    13:20 New York (JFK)

interesting - the flight changes back to 7h30mins when the clocks change here in irelnd on march 28th using the same plane... has to be some cockup in aerlingus when posting the winter schedule.

10:55 Dublin (DUB) saturday march 28
    8h 50m

10:50 Dublin (DUB) sunday march 29th
    7h 30m
    13:20 New York (JFK)

interesting - the flight changes back to 7h30mins when the clocks change here in irelnd on march 28th using the same plane... has to be some cockup in aerlingus when posting the winter schedule.

I think the issue here is that they're not allowing for the fact that the US is already on DST by the time we put the clocks forward at the end of March. Someone has entered the correct local departure and arrival times for the last three weeks in March but the calculated flight duration is too long because it assumes an incorrect time difference, should be only 4 hours on March 28th.

The Sat. March 28th morning flight to JFK departs at 10:55 (GMT), arrives JFK at 14:45 EDT (GMT-4). Clock duration is 3h 50m. Add on the time zone difference of 4 hours and you get a flight duration of 7h 50m.

mystery solved. now updated to new arrival time of 13.45... they must be reading this thread!

• Advertisement

mystery solved. now updated to new arrival time of 13.45... they must be reading this thread!

They're still showing a flight time of 8h 50m for the last week in March (Wed 25th - Sat 28th incl.) when the departure and arrival times (as per my post #20 above) say 7h 50m.

Beginning on Sunday March 29th (when we will be on Summer time), the duration drops to 7h 30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

This happen to me last November. I just luaghed it off. Didn't mind the extra flight time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

cena wrote: »
    This happen to me last November. I just luaghed it off. Didn't mind the extra flight time

??

Advertisement