Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If we want to put last nights match in perspective

Slovan are not one of Europe’s big spenders. One of the minnows.

Dundalk’s gross take from Europe this year is €1.2 million. 25th on the attached list. (Linfield €1.380 - 17th). That’s for trips to Riga, Baku and Bratislava.

Slovan paid €2m for Sporar.

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

How are LOI clubs going to compete with that. And as I said they arenot big spenders.

I see from that list Loi clubs got a total of €2.2m and Cypriot teams got nearly €8m ( so far)

Last word on last night: Poor organization by stewards.(and officials in suits and lanyards). Despite selling seats for section M, it wasn’t open. Not only that there was only access to N from O. And fans with bought tickets for O and P were allowed into N. And not enough turnstiles open. Large Q’s outside East Stand at 7.45, with only 2 gates open. Black marks to somebody, I suspect SDCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

major bill wrote: »
    The Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup 3rd round draw is being held today at 12.30PM live on the SPFL Facebook page

What a ****ing name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

joeysoap wrote: »
    If we want to put last nights match in perspective

Slovan are not one of Europe’s big spenders. One of the minnows.

Dundalk’s gross take from Europe this year is €1.2 million. 25th on the attached list. (Linfield €1.380 - 17th). That’s for trips to Riga, Baku and Bratislava.

Slovan paid €2m for Sporar.

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/money/#money-club

How are LOI clubs going to compete with that. And as I said they arenot big spenders.

Exactly.
    The facts do not back up this bizarre persective that LOI clubs should be competitive at this level. Budget differences are not just 20-50% or ours but many multiples of ours, its just not feasible to match these teams consistently and any expectation of doing so is ill informed or downright madness.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

We all need to know our roles and shut our mouths according to this fella.
    https://twitter.com/UbuntuLad/status/1161426559175135233?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

DvB wrote: »
    Exactly.
    The facts do not back up this bizarre persective that LOI clubs should be competitive at this level. Budget differences are not just 20-50% or ours but many multiples of ours, its just not feasible to match these teams consistently and any expectation of doing so is ill informed or downright madness.

Its not ill informed to believe Dundalk coulda played to their ability and at least gave Slovan a game on home soil, a side that couldnt overcome a team from Montenegro that Linfield very impressively overcame last night?

If you want to start talking budgets and how this team have that etc you might aswel just throw in the towel and pull our teams out of Europe altogether.

Nobody is expecting Irish sides to make the groups, point is for all the talk about this Dundalk side they were very disappointing in their performances. I refuse to believe we can't be competitive at least against Slovakian sides over two legs and this side from looking at the home leg were no great shakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is pure rubbish though. Dundalk are definitely the best team in Ireland at the moment but eh losing by 3 goals on aggregate in the round BEFORE the one that gets you into the Europa group stages is hardly sitting on the cusp of glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Waterford home to Hearts 21s hardly the great European games Lee Power dreamed of

Bohs drawn away to Airdrie .......massive police presence for that one I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Dundalk fans have developed a ****ing massive chip on their shoulders and for the love of God I cannot see why. From your man shouting at the extratime reporters about the Dublin media being happy when none of them were from Dublin to stamping their feet and throwing a fit when anyone tries to say something positive about any other club, to calling Bohs fans biased for Rovers (I mean come on), to claiming people are posting "virulent anti Dundalk" stuff because people have the audacity to point out flaws, ignoring the daft attempt to explain it by saying they're supporters of a club who's ex manager also happens to be Dundalks ex manager, here's a wakeup call lads, you can't claim to be the biggest and best club in the land while also complaining about being held to higher standards, its a package deal, you get none or both.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They stood up to the FAI though!!!!! Somehow, apparently.

They stood up to the FAI though!!!!! Somehow, apparently.

You see their owner has a twitter account and said some stuff on it so yeah that's proof

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Dundalk fans........you can't claim to be the biggest and best club in the land while also complaining about being held to higher standards, its a package deal, you get none or both.

Dundalk claim to be ‘Ireland’s most successful provincial club.’

Don’t think Dundalk ever claimed to be the biggest club in Ireland, we’ll leave that to others.
    Dundalk, is a (relatively) small provincial town. Smaller population than Swords.

Dundalk FC have been punching above their weight since the 1930.s As have Sligo
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

major bill wrote: »
    Its not ill informed to believe Dundalk coulda played to their ability and at least gave Slovan a game on home soil, a side that couldnt overcome a team from Montenegro that Linfield very impressively overcame last night?

If you want to start talking budgets and how this team have that etc you might aswel just throw in the towel and pull our teams out of Europe altogether.

Nobody is expecting Irish sides to make the groups, point is for all the talk about this Dundalk side they were very disappointing in their performances. I refuse to believe we can't be competitive at least against Slovakian sides over two legs and this side from looking at the home leg were no great shakes.

I think we did give them a game last night and had a good few big chances in the first leg. Their keeper was brilliant, and we were undone by stupid errors at the back. In saying that, they were the better team over the tie, but we weren't hanging on hoping to only lose by a goal or two like all LOI sides 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

No idea why Cleary wouldn't pass the ball to Gannon and why Gannon wouldn't run down the line in the first half. Perhaps he was spooked after his man scored the first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If I was him I’d be very worried.

I don’t think Peak6 are getting the return they expected and it’ll only take a stroke of a pen and DFC will have the begging bowl out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If I was him I’d be very worried.

I don’t think Peak6 are getting the return they expected and it’ll only take a stroke of a pen and DFC will have the begging bowl out.

Mike Treacy's twitter strangely very quiet. He did tweet straight after teh Qarabag tie, that Europa League was the priority. Also a fan of the All Island league proposal which is gone very quiet and highly unlikely to happen. I would be very worried if I was a Dundalk fan I can see Shamrock Rovers overtaking them nxt year or the year after. Very little between the teams atm. The last performance v them in Tallaght wasn't overly impressive

Dundalk fans should worry about Peak6, not other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dundalk claim to be ‘Ireland’s most successful provincial club.’

Don’t think Dundalk ever claimed to be the biggest club in Ireland, we’ll leave that to others.
    Dundalk, is a (relatively) small provincial town. Smaller population than Swords.

Dundalk FC have been punching above their weight since the 1930.s As have Sligo
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

The likes of ourselves, Harps, Derry, Galway etc can call ourselves provincial clubs but calling Dundalk that in football-terms, in 2019, is a bit of a stretch. There's a motorway that links you to Dublin in under an hour which gives you access to a much larger player pool.

Many players have played for Dundalk while working their day job in Dublin. When you can do that, I don't consider it provincial. You don't face the same logistical issues clubs further West/South do.

Mark Quigley is a good example. Absolutely hated leaving Dublin to play in Sligo. He got home sick 3 hours away from home ffs. The season before, he was in Dundalk and I never heard a peep out of him about missing Dublin/being homesick because it's right there beside him. He was probably commuting to Dundalk for training/matches?

Oat23 wrote: »
    The likes of ourselves, Harps, Derry, Galway etc can call ourselves provincial clubs but calling Dundalk that in football-terms, in 2019, is a bit of a stretch. There's a motorway that links you to Dublin in under an hour which gives you access to a much larger player pool.

Many players have played for Dundalk while working their day job in Dublin. When you can do that, I don't consider it provincial. You don't face the same logistical issues clubs further West/South do.

Mark Quigley is a good example. Absolutely hated leaving Dublin to play in Sligo. He got home sick 3 hours away from home ffs. The season before, he was in Dundalk and I never heard a peep out of him about missing Dublin/being homesick because it's right there beside him. He was probably commuting to Dundalk for training/matches?

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not sure who should be more offended, Dundalk people for being considered part of Dublin or Dublin people for having Dundalk considered for of it.

As far as I'm concerned Shamrock Rovers are a provincial team.

I'm not sure who should be more offended, Dundalk people for being considered part of Dublin or Dublin people for having Dundalk considered for of it.

:D

In no way do I consider Dundalk part of Dublin. It's just close enough to Dublin that I don't buy the whole "we're a small provincial club facing the same struggles as the other non-Dub sides" stuff. Dundalk's situation is different.

• Advertisement

KillianM2 (the fella who uploads old Irish TV stuff to youtube) is putting up some good stuff on his new football youtube page here if anyone wants to have a look - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwP-K14gzGM33XPMRB5_hbA

I just watched this one uploaded earlier about Roddy abandoning Dublin City to take over Shams. It's a damning indictment of Soccer Republic that this Eircom League Weekly clip from 15 years ago is better than anything they have produced in years. Thought ELW was sh*te at the time but it's better than what we have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

KillianM2 (the fella who uploads old Irish TV stuff to youtube) is putting up some good stuff on his new football youtube page here if anyone wants to have a look - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwP-K14gzGM33XPMRB5_hbA

I just watched this one uploaded earlier about Roddy abandoning Dublin City to take over Shams. It's a damning indictment of Soccer Republic that this Eircom League Weekly clip from 15 years ago is better than anything they have produced in years. Thought ELW was sh*te at the time but it's better than what we have now.

Pre match build up, controversy, interviews with club reps and fans. I remember giving out about ELW but it was an absolute golden age for LOI coverage compared to now.

last nights highlights for anybody who didn’t see them already.

https://youtu.be/JqwutagEzXg

The problem with that TV3 show was that it was on very late at night and repeated very early the following morning and that was in the days before catch up tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Wicklow's number one.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Wicklow's number one.

#2.

Funnily enough the other day I was looking for highlights of Bohs v Shels on Youtube and a piece from MNS came up about when they played during the Dublin lockout, in comparison with what you get from the current offering which is pure dirt.

Garry Comerford gone to Killumney United in the Cork AUL as player/manager.
    Darragh Rainsford gone to Limerick Junior side Fairview Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ayman Ben Mohamed ex UCD, Longford and Bohemians has moved to French Ligue 2 side Le Havre. Hes made quite a good career for himself. Probably a good exmaple to young footballers here that a move to leagues outside of the UK can be a good pathway. He was a good LOI player but nothing exceptional. Goes to show where a good attitude can take you

Fair fcuks to Riga.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Also, Apollon knocked out Austria Vienna 5-2 on aggregate.

:) Beat me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Garry Comerford gone to Killumney United in the Cork AUL as player/manager.
    Darragh Rainsford gone to Limerick Junior side Fairview Rangers.

The View must have come into cash as they've splashed out this off season, either that or everyone got a job in their bar.

The View must have come into cash as they've splashed out this off season, either that or everyone got a job in their bar.

Maybe they are prepping an application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Fair fcuks to Riga.

Have gone through on away goals the last two rounds. The reason I'd hate for away goals to be done away with. It'd be another nail in the coffin for small clubs around Europe.

That’s Linfield and Riga, knocked out in the first round CL now in the playoffs for EL.

• Advertisement

KillianM2 (the fella who uploads old Irish TV stuff to youtube) is putting up some good stuff on his new football youtube page here if anyone wants to have a look
    It's a shame he's so contrary, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

was just thinking about the conversation on here lately about LOI clubs not doing that well in Europe this year.
    not sure why people are so upset about it, if we wanted to support teams in the europa league or champions league we would support man united, liverpool etc like the rest of the west brits in Ireland.

so what if LOI clubs dont go far in europe, its the domestic league we all care about, that is why we are LOI fans.

That's a nice way to describe him. I'd also use a word beginning with C but it'd only be 4 letters long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I made the mistake of following both him and Ewan McKenna at the same time without realizing they were involved in some sort of legal dispute. F*cking hell talk about a pair of miserable f*ckers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pgj2015 wrote: »
    so what if LOI clubs dont go far in europe, its the domestic league we all care about, that is why we are LOI fans.

I'd like to watch Rovers dine at the top table of European football and not at table 18 with the second cousin's family who are a bit odd. You feel like your invitation may have been an accident. I'm sure most supporters feel the same.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of following both him and Ewan McKenna at the same time without realizing they were involved in some sort of legal dispute. F*cking hell talk about a pair of miserable f*ckers.
    If there was a shortage of ****, those two would make up for 100 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'd like to watch Rovers dine at the top table of European football and not at table 18 with the second cousin's family who are a bit odd. You feel like your invitation may have been an accident. I'm sure most supporters feel the same.

if they did well in europe, then you would have a load of bandwagoners taking up the real fans seats in tallaght.

if they did well in europe, then you would have a load of bandwagoners taking up the real fans seats in tallaght.

Bar the odd big game where its pretty easy to stop that happening that wouldn't be a problem in Tallaght, its big enough with enough room for expansion to stop that being a problem.

was just thinking about the conversation on here lately about LOI clubs not doing that well in Europe this year.
    not sure why people are so upset about it, if we wanted to support teams in the europa league or champions league we would support man united, liverpool etc like the rest of the west brits in Ireland.

I don't see your argument personally. If it gets arses off of barstools, into grounds and money into clubs' pockets then happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

That’s the sort of attitude that keeps the league of Ireland at the low ebb it’s currently at. Only way the league will grow is to tap into the huge market of football fans in this country that watch all their football on telly.

From reading your last 2 posts it seems the main attraction the league of Ireland has for you is that it allows you to be different and to judge the “barstool” fans. It’s very small time thinking.

To get it to grow we need these people to start attending games regularly so we have to stop demonizing them.

And I’d say capacity is a restricting factor in less than 1% of games involving LOI teams so that point about “real” fans not getting tickets is a non runner really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was a bandwagoner when I started going to Tallaght 2012 and I'm still going eight years later.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Sounds like a fammily gathering in Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Looks like Dan Carr is going to Apollon Limassol after they were impressed with his performances against them in the Europa League. Good move for him and I'd say Rovers will be happy enough too if they get some kind of fee. He has been there for 18 months now and it is still hard to know what to make of him, capable of moments of magic and winning a game but also liable to miss sitters and did not seem to have great intelligence on the pitch. I guess that is the reason he is playing at this level in the first place, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

But the world revolves around Bohs & everyone else is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That’s Linfield and Riga, knocked out in the first round CL now in the playoffs for EL.

Any Dundalk fans heading over to Riga for the Playoffs?

They seem very interested in their results.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement