Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk drawn away first in the 3rd round of both competitions. Rovers the same. If Rovers beat Apollon, and hopefully they will, looks like they are also away first. But both will be using Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Only showed the goals from the Pat's game of the four European games on Soccer Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The show actually does more harm than good to the leagues image

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It is a disgrace. MNS used to be decent. Ryle Nugent fûcked everything up and now we have a bin program.

Brutal show tonight.

RTE obviously not interested in LOI as evidenced by their lack of European matches. AFAIK the European matches involving Dundalk and Rovers are not included in the FAI agreement. Up to both clubs to ‘sell’ the match to the highest bidder.

Pats vs Dundalk now fixed for Saturday 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

joeysoap wrote: »
    Brutal show tonight.

RTE obviously not interested in LOI as evidenced by their lack of European matches. AFAIK the European matches involving Dundalk and Rovers are not included in the FAI agreement. Up to both clubs to ‘sell’ the match to the highest bidder.

Pats vs Dundalk now fixed for Saturday 27th.

Isn't it something like that from the play off round RTE have to show Irish teams and anything before that it's up to clubs and RTE to come to some arrangement.

Only going by Dundalk's 2016 European run where RTE didn't show a match until the play off game at the Aviva. Everyone thought they were just jumping on the Dundalk bandwagon after Eir showed all the earlier rounds but they had to because of some rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Isn't it something like that from the play off round RTE have to show Irish teams and anything before that it's up to clubs and RTE to come to some arrangement.

Only going by Dundalk's 2016 European run where RTE didn't show a match until the play off game at the Aviva. Everyone thought they were just jumping on the Dundalk bandwagon after Eir showed all the earlier rounds but they had to because of some rule.

The home club owns the broadcast rights to sell as they wish. RTE as a free to air national broadcaster have an obligation to show events of national importance which is probably what the playoffs come under

I think your correct jr89, If a club gets to the playoffs, whoever holds the rights to international matches has to televise the playoff match and make highlights available more or less instantly to the other associations. There must be a minimum number of cameras filming the match. When Dundalk played Legia the goals from the other playoff matches were shown on the big screens in the Aviva during the match.

I’m pretty sure D14 is correct it’s up to the clubs to get the best deal they can in the earlier rounds , hence RTE not showing them.

The FAI stitched Dundalk up for the Aviva that night, now we know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It is a disgrace. MNS used to be decent. Ryle Nugent fûcked everything up and now we have a bin program.

It's all over the shop quite frankly. They're not even showing the goals played on a Monday night whereas they used to.

They seem to have gone into this season deciding that they'll have a half hour show because they'll be showing the friday night goals as part of the live friday game anyway expect they hardly ever televise live games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

When Dundalk played Legia the goals from the other playoff matches were shown on the big screens in the Aviva during the match.

I thought it was just the latest scores that were shown and the goals at half time? That day was a pisser- if it hadn't have bucketed down we would have had a near-full house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Jesus it's sad that 250000 is seen as too much and now Cork are going to lose him for less. Sooner everyone starts giving out longer contracts the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Moghead

Cape Clear wrote: »

Wonder if he went for €250K in the end? Should be the end of McCarthy at right back hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Sooner everyone starts giving out longer contracts the better

Not if the agents have anything to do with it.... happened with Dylan Connolly or Adam McDonnell (can't remember which) with us before they went to Ipswich. Agent wouldn't let them extend their contract with Shels.

Not if the agents have anything to do with it.... happened with Dylan Connolly or Adam McDonnell (can't remember which) with us before they went to Ipswich. Agent wouldn't let them extend their contract with Shels.

On the flip side Bazunu signed a contract with Rovers after City got in touch so that the club got more money. Think Furlong did similar.

• Advertisement

I thought it was just the latest scores that were shown and the goals at half time? That day was a pisser- if it hadn't have bucketed down we would have had a near-full house.

Thinking back you may be right, but I have a vague recollection of seeing the Celtic goals before the end. Awful night, put many neutrals off. There was a lot of polish families at the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

Jesus it's sad that 250000 is seen as too much and now Cork are going to lose him for less. Sooner everyone starts giving out longer contracts the better

He has 4 months left on his contract. Any 6 figure sum will be decent imo, especially given how badly he has regressed in the last 12 months. Im shocked anyone is taking a punt on him. One way or other Im sure we will have him back on loan in 12 months or so.

Re the longer contracts - not really going to happen at many clubs. Similar to Sean Maguire, McLoughlin would only sign on a short term deal. had CCFC insisted on they sign a 3 year deal or gtfo, then they would not have signed.

City (and Rovers) deserve credit for getting transfer fees, something that Dundalk have failed at over the years (Dylan Connolly being the exception). By all accounts we paid a fee for Duffy and McEleney. ( they were worth it :))

bot43 wrote: »
    He has 4 months left on his contract. Any 6 figure sum will be decent imo, especially given how badly he has regressed in the last 12 months. Im shocked anyone is taking a punt on him. One way or other Im sure we will have him back on loan in 12 months or so.

Re the longer contracts - not really going to happen at many clubs. Similar to Sean Maguire, McLoughlin would only sign on a short term deal. had CCFC insisted on they sign a 3 year deal or gtfo, then they would not have signed.

Championship clubs have the bobs to take a chance on a player like this. Has a lot of potential aged 22 with a college degree in his back pocket. Keeping guys in the LOI until that age is the first step clubs should be aiming for. Banzu leaving at 16 without even his leaving cert is crazy in this day and age.

A good barstooler story from a while back.

Was working in a place up until recently, some new guy joined and we were chatting away and he asked who I support.
    So I told him I supported Limerick FC and he replied, "Oh, I suppose you're one of those League of Ireland fans who consider all Manchester United and Liverpool fans the enemy". Bare in mind he was deadly serious and this was our first conversation.

He then went on a mad one, started quoting Dermot Keely word for word from the time he was on Soccer Republic complaining about Liverpool Vs Shamrock Rovers.
    Then he told me of how he was at Denmark and Ireland wearing a Liverpool shirt and how someone came up to him after the game and told him that people like him are what's wrong with Irish Football.
    THEN, because he goes to college in Dublin apparently, started talking about all Bohs fans being scangers.

I didn't get a word in in-between all this.

And the worst part of it all, when the conversation was done and as we were working alongside each other, he started quietly singing S&M by Rihanna. You have no idea how disturbing it is to hear someone right beside you say "sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

bot43 wrote: »

Get the logic now but they're saying at the start of the season when he had a full season to run he wasn't worth it. I know these numbers are almost pure guesswork by the journalist but still, given his physical and technical attributes you would have thought at least 300k with a year to go would be fair
    Championship clubs have the bobs to take a chance on a player like this. Has a lot of potential aged 22 with a college degree in his back pocket. Keeping guys in the LOI until that age is the first step clubs should be aiming for. Banzu leaving at 16 without even his leaving cert is crazy in this day and age.

He did his leaving cert. Specifically got it put in writing in his contract that he'd get tutoring for a minimum number of hours per week and get back to Ireland to sit the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

A good barstooler story from a while back.

Was working in a place up until recently, some new guy joined and we were chatting away and he asked who I support.
    So I told him I supported Limerick FC and he replied, "Oh, I suppose you're one of those League of Ireland fans who consider all Manchester United and Liverpool fans the enemy". Bare in mind he was deadly serious and this was our first conversation.

He then went on a mad one, started quoting Dermot Keely word for word from the time he was on Soccer Republic complaining about Liverpool Vs Shamrock Rovers.
    Then he told me of how he was at Denmark and Ireland wearing a Liverpool shirt and how someone came up to him after the game and told him that people like him are what's wrong with Irish Football.
    THEN, because he goes to college in Dublin apparently, started talking about all Bohs fans being scangers.

I didn't get a word in in-between all this.

And the worst part of it all, when the conversation was done and as we were working alongside each other, he started quietly singing S&M by Rihanna. You have no idea how disturbing it is to hear someone right beside you say "sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me".

Wouldnt engage, people like that are gob****es and im sorry wearing a Liverpool jersey to an Ireland away trip is stupid and can see why someone made a smart comment, honestly couldn't care what team a person supports but the only ones peddling out this crap ''League of Ireland is a closed shop, don't feel welcome'' are from people that will never bother their arse to go to a game to see what its like anyway.

I know they're doing it to fill the gap because there's no rugby on but fair ****s to Eir showing a game Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, last two weeks they've nearly matched RTE for games shown all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

120k seems a bit on the cheap side for Clarke, hopefully there's a decent sell on clause, definitely has potential to go far beyond league one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Crazy?

Depends on how much his contract and signing on fee are worth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bazunu is staying at Rovers till he finishes (is finished?) his leaving cert.

Bazunu is staying at Rovers till he finishes (is finished?) his leaving cert.

That was the plan, he's finished now, but he signed at Christmas and Pep wanted him to play for the u18s straight away, started all but 2 of their games I think, so he got it added to his contract that if he went over early he would get a tutor and would be able to sit his exams. If you ever talk to his parents who are at every rovers game him not getting a leaving cert was never an option.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Crazy?

Depends on how much his contract and signing on fee are worth.

Absolutely! Given the small number of players that manage to make a decent living out of football. Englan is full of lads that are tipeed to be the next big thing few make it and it's a short career for those that do.

That was the plan, he's finished now, but he signed at Christmas and Pep wanted him to play for the u18s straight away, started all but 2 of their games I think, so he got it added to his contract that if he went over early he would get a tutor and would be able to sit his exams. If you ever talk to his parents who are at every rovers game him not getting a leaving cert was never an option.

Obviously a few years ago and a different time, but Dean Delaney was on one of the podcasts saying that when he signed for Everton, he and his parents were promised that they would look after him. When he got there though the basically just laughed at him.

• Advertisement

Obviously a few years ago and a different time, but Dean Delaney was on one of the podcasts saying that when he signed for Everton, he and his parents were promised that they would look after him. When he got there though the basically just laughed at him.

Yeah I heard that bit and thought about gavin but I vaguely remember at the time it being said he got it in writing and also the fact he was very in demand probably helped him while Dean was in all fairness to him very expendable to Everton so couldn't rock the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

120k seems a bit on the cheap side for Clarke, hopefully there's a decent sell on clause, definitely has potential to go far beyond league one.

He has gone backwards since his injury and lost a fair bit of pace. That's a great deal for Rovers.

Kavanagh is a a far better player anyway and possibly the most underrated player at Rovers if not the league.

Nice article by Dermot Keely on the late and great Jimmy Dainty

https://theleagueofireland.com/2019/07/16/memories-of-a-great-footballer-the-fai-and-europe/#more-4169

Pulls no punches on FAI cronyism either.

Few weeks old, I only came across it by recently.

Still can't wrap my head around Bray Wanderers being so off the mark this season. Only ahead of Limerick on goal difference and have lost two more games than them and just one less than Cobh Ramblers.
    10/27 points against the four teams above them isn't fantastic, but of the five teams beneath them in the table they've lost to Athlone, Wexford, Limerick and Cobh and drawn at Galway United. And I know I've been on here before about it, and I've no beef with Bray, but man have they been a disappointment this year considering all their signings.

They're seven points behind Cabo and Longford in joint 4th/3rd with six games left, but really they're contending with Cabo.
    They've dropped points against all six of the remaining teams they've to play with Athlone (H), Wexford (A), Cobh (H) and an awful final three fixtures of Shels (A), Longford (A), Drogheda (H).
    While Cabo have Drogs and then all of the bottom five of the table, a handy run.

I know this is a bit ranty and the First Division isn't exactly headline news, but surely with everything considered Gary Cronin has to go this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Can't say I've seen any D1 this year... But on paper at the start of the year Bray's squad looked second only to Shels... So to not be in the playoffs, or at least fighting for a spot is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bray have very little quality in attack. McGlade has been a big disappointment for them. Tim Clancy doing a great job at Drogheda. Seems a good club for young players atm. Mark Doyle Conor Kane and Stephen Meaney all having great season. Ciaran Kelly had a good spell their last season and has been one of Pat's better performers this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I know they're doing it to fill the gap because there's no rugby on but fair ****s to Eir showing a game Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, last two weeks they've nearly matched RTE for games shown all season.
    Wish they would offer an online subscription to watch the matches, I've no interest in getting their BB\TV packages but would pay 10-20 euro a month to watch the football they show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

wadacrack wrote: »
    Bray have very little quality in attack. McGlade has been a big disappointment for them. Tim Clancy doing a great job at Drogheda. Seems a good club for young players atm. Mark Doyle Conor Kane and Stephen Meaney all having great season. Ciaran Kelly had a good spell their last season and has been one of Pat's better performers this season

We’re not even that good. We’ve just been seriously efficient at grinding out wins and we’re solid enough at the back in an exceptionally weak First Division.

Hoping the 2 Cobh lads can be the difference in us being a more effective team going forward. Conan has had a few injuries and hasn’t been able to be the star player he would have been in previous seasons, and has been discussed on here previously English hasn’t been able to hit anything close to last year’s levels.

Hope the new increased competition will improve everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

What days are times and t.v.channels are the dundalk and rovers Euro games on?
    Thanks guys

• Advertisement

Just spotted Mikey Drennan is without a goal since the end of April, 1,260 minutes by my count.

Just spotted Mikey Drennan is without a goal since the end of April, 1,260 minutes by my count.

He must be hanging out in the wrong night clubs.

davycc wrote: »
    What days are times and t.v.channels are the dundalk and rovers Euro games on?
    Thanks guys

Dundalk on Eir tonight from 7:40. Rovers no TV announced yet 8pm ko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Cheers d14 I'm a shels fan but I have no problem genuinely cheering on rovers and dundalk during the Euro qualifications.
    The u19s game is on Rte two kickoff now.
    Coy big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Dundalk back to full strength??

Hopefully pull off a result tonight

**** Rovers :p:)

Like most Dundalk fans hoping for the best tonight but not expecting miracles. Qarabag have won 6 leagues in a row, qualified for the group stages of either the Europa League or Champions League for each of the past 5 years. Different class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Like most Dundalk fans hoping for the best tonight but not expecting miracles. Qarabag have won 6 leagues in a row, qualified for the group stages of either the Europa League or Champions League for each of the past 5 years. Different class.

We can only hope for a perfect night, we have to take into account they are much further than we are. Enjoy it as long as it lasts....the lads can only learn from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

CSF wrote: »
    We’re not even that good. We’ve just been seriously efficient at grinding out wins and we’re solid enough at the back in an exceptionally weak First Division.

Hoping the 2 Cobh lads can be the difference in us being a more effective team going forward. Conan has had a few injuries and hasn’t been able to be the star player he would have been in previous seasons, and has been discussed on here previously English hasn’t been able to hit anything close to last year’s levels.

Hope the new increased competition will improve everyone.

Exactly that - Kilduff scoring and defensively very good. Had really hoped Conan with Farrell & Conan would see us winning games by 3-4 goals but it hasn't been. Do I give two f**ks... not really once for the love of God we get over the line once and for all, and more importantly manage to stay up!

Dundalk should wear all-white always, it looks super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible goal to give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Absolute amateur hour

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement