Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Licence payers won't be happy, RTE might throw on an extra episode of Young Sheldon to compensate.

Yes, license payers and Rovers fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Decent game at the Brandywell.

Rovers good side to watch. Pass the ball well.

Were too good for us in the end. But how it might have been different had we scored the penalty to equalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Needs a change at UCD. They do actually have fans, we do care, and they do take our money. That was an absolute car-crash

Rip all the key players out of any of the other PD sides in mid-season without any replacements and they'd be on the end of the same kind of results.

Seeing as UCD are happy being a scholarship side blooding players for other LOI clubs then this is the reality for them. They're the best run club in the league by a mile so they'll be back inside the next coupe of seasons to do it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'll say one thing, I'd be more in favour of going down to an 8 team Division than moving up to a 12 team Division. And that's not just based on tonight, that's based on the farcical four that have occupied the bottom two spots over the past two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

D14Rugby wrote: »
    The FAI need to shoulder a lot of the blame for this result, giving a teams best player a farcical ban for something that had been done countless times throughout the years has seriously compromised the integrity of the league. Not the only stupid decision they've done to similar results this season either.

I just googled this after reading your comment...I can’t believe UCD keeper got a 6 game ban for that?! That’s absurd.

Rip all the key players out of any of the other PD sides in mid-season without any replacements and they'd be on the end of the same kind of results.

Seeing as UCD are happy being a scholarship side blooding players for other LOI clubs then this is the reality for them. They're the best run club in the league by a mile so they'll be back inside the next coupe of seasons to do it all again.

I’m not sure if losing any amount of players justifies 7-0 and 10-1 defeats in the space of three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I'll say one thing, I'd be more in favour of going down to an 8 team Division than moving up to a 12 team Division. And that's not just based on tonight, that's based on the farcical four that have occupied the bottom two spots over the past two seasons.

Until the prize money for coming last is more than the ridiculous joining fee for the league that's always going to happen when teams have to drastically cut costs or risk financially screwing themselves even more. UCD have taken points off Bohs this season and Harps have taken points off Bohs and Dundalk so when the bottom two are given a fighting chance they can be competitive but once you realise you're in serious trouble of going down you begin losing your better players left right and centre and it just compounds the problem. Even against Derry if UCD had Kearns in goal you're looking at a very different result, same for their Waterford game and the Rovers and Bohs results would at least look a lot more respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I’m not sure if losing any amount of players justifies 7-0 and 10-1 defeats in the space of three weeks.

And also 11 - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

After last night's mental result in the league Bohs now have three cup games in a row to focus on. Hard to fathom. League Cup semi vs Dundalk on Monday, FAI cup vs Longford on Friday and then yet another Bradley Cup Final on Friday week. Wild.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It demonstrates the lack of goals in the league when a team wins 10-1 and are still 10 goals behind Rovers on GD and 20 behind Dundalk. Using a ravaged UCD to make a point about the league quality is also nonsense. UCD are often supplying the players for other teams to beat them...

Great result in Derry for Rovers, a win there is not to be taken for granted, very unusual for Rovers to win twice there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Happy 50th LOI anniversary to Finn Harps.

50 years ago today played their first LOI match against Shamrock Rovers at Finn Park,

Omackeral wrote: »
    After last night's mental result in the league Bohs now have three cup games in a row to focus on. Hard to fathom. League Cup semi vs Dundalk on Monday, FAI cup vs Longford on Friday and then yet another Bradley Cup Final on Friday week. Wild.

The two teams in EA cup action next Monday scored 15 goals between them last night. Not often that happens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

On a side note there was a great crowd in Dalymount last night, particularly for a UCD game in mid-August.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Anyone know what the fee for Carr is?

Bertser wrote: »
    Anyone know what the fee for Carr is?

Yeah and a half on his contract and know Apollon have money so I'd imagine it's substantial enough.

Yeah and a half on his contract and know Apollon have money so I'd imagine it's substantial enough.

Contracts up at the end of the season. It'll be a modest fee.

Contracts up at the end of the season. It'll be a modest fee.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1069307/

"We didn't have to move Dan. He had a year and a half left on his contract.
    -Stephen Bradley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Some pressure on Shels tonight. Lose and everything's in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dfx- wrote: »

Even a draw would mean it's in Drogheda's hands.

Really need a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not true.

do you know many man u, liverpool die hards from Ireland that became loi fans in the last 10 years? I talk to these kind of people ever day,do you like soccer? yes, who do you support? united, do you support a loi team? they might say pats, bohs etc but when you ask them when they saw them last they will say a few years ago or they never were at a match and they wont be able to name you 1 current player.

them kind of people are a lost cause, i would have a better chance converting them to become a jehovas witness than converting them to loi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Major pressure on both teams, for Longford it's win otherwise play-offs for them. Should be some game, I'm expecting a Longford win to make it a three-way fight for the title with 3 games to go

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Even a draw would mean it's in Drogheda's hands.

Really need a win.

Draw puts them 3 points ahead same games played, which would still be in the hands.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    do you know many man u, liverpool die hards from Ireland that became loi fans in the last 10 years? I talk to these kind of people ever day,do you like soccer? yes, who do you support? united, do you support a loi team? they might say pats, bohs etc but when you ask them when they saw them last they will say a few years ago or they never were at a match and they wont be able to name you 1 current player.

them kind of people are a lost cause, i would have a better chance converting them to become a jehovas witness than converting them to loi.

Yeah, quite a few actually. After the age of 16-18 ish people are unlikely to change but I still know people that did and loads that would have been huge fans of an English team as a kid that now have them as their second team.

pgj2015 wrote: »

Yeh, a good few.

These people like football.

Give them a good enough standard of football in decent facilities and it can happen.

It's all about forming a habit.
    Draw puts them 3 points ahead same games played, which would still be in the hands.

Yep, but it brings it within Drogheda's hands which currently it's not.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1069307/

"We didn't have to move Dan. He had a year and a half left on his contract.
    -Stephen Bradley

Dan McDonnell 2 days ago in the paper:

" Carrs deal with the Hoops is up at the end of the year, so a small fee would have to be thrashed out to facilitate the move and there is confidence the deal will go through"

It's spoofer Bradser v respected League of Ireland journalist.

I don't see what Shams' leverage would be to get a big transfer fee. Carr will have better wages, sun and possibly an EL play off to be part of. I would say sub 50k or Apollon pick up Shams hotel bill from Cyprus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

" Carrs deal with the Hoops is up at the end of the year, so a small fee would have to be thrashed out to facilitate the move and there is confidence the deal will go through"

I don't see what Shams' leverage would be to get a big transfer fee. Carr will have better wages, sun and possibly an EL play off to be part of. I would say sub 50k or Apollon pick up Shams hotel bill from Cyprus.

Could he play in Europe for them as he's already played for Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

2 sides to the Carr deal...
    1. Great to see a player from a LOI club moving somewhere else other than England or Scotland. Hope the lad makes it over there.
    2. Sad to see Rovers sell good players regularly to sustain their model. Would be great to see what they could achieve if they could hold onto them.

You taking the piss? Its the guy that actually knows what his contract length is vs a journalist speculating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

2 sides to the Carr deal...
    1. Great to see a player from a LOI club moving somewhere else other than England or Scotland. Hope the lad makes it over there.
    2. Sad to see Rovers sell good players regularly to sustain their model. Would be great to see what they could achieve if they could hold onto them.

Generally the view from Rovers fans seems to be they are happy to let him go, there was a big sense of frustration towards him this season due to his inability to track back and his lack of intelligence on the pitch. I thought he was a good enough player but I don't think he will be a major loss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you persevered after starting out in 2012, you may be the only one. It was tough enough for the battle hardened matchgoers

I had previously been watching Kilkenny City in the first division.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Generally the view from Rovers fans seems to be they are happy to let him go, there was a big sense of frustration towards him this season due to his inability to track back and his lack of intelligence on the pitch. I thought he was a good enough player but I don't think he will be a major loss.

But its not only him they have let go, obviously a better team, from a financially stronger league has seen something in him that Rovers havent. He is the 3-4th that they have sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

But its not only him they have let go, obviously a better team, from a financially stronger league has seen something in him that Rovers havent. He is the 3-4th that they have sold.

True, I see what you mean and it would be nice if they could keep hold of these players but the financial situation in the league means we will always have to let players go, at least there was a feee involved for all of them. None of Carr, Clarke or Bolger would be in Rovers strongest team either so I would also say they are doing well to get fees for players who arent guaranteed starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When you just see highlights of Carr he looks like a world beater, but watch him regularly, and you'll see a player who rarely tracks back, has poor off the ball movement, and makes a lot of poor decisions.

He has gotten this far by being a physically superior athlete to his peers, but he'll be no great loss for Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One win closer.

Some Shels fans on their best behaviour tonight I hear. Destroyed a dozen or so seats in the ground and wrecked a pool table in a pub before the game.

Some Shels fans on their best behaviour tonight I hear. Destroyed a dozen or so seats in the ground and wrecked a pool table in a pub before the game.

The 2nd one of those has already been basically debunked and the first one is fairly difficult to prove.

Don’t believe everything you read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CSF wrote: »
    The 2nd one of those has already been basically debunked and the first one is fairly difficult to prove.

...... I don't believe you :)

One win closer.

First division appears to end very early. What do the clubs who are not involved in the playoffs or cup do to generate income?

joeysoap wrote: »
    First division appears to end very early. What do the clubs who are not involved in the playoffs or cup do to generate income?

They stop paying their players.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Nothing really. If I can recall correctly it was exactly five months between Longford Town's last game of 2018 and first of 2019.

• Advertisement

Okay, the lesser of the two didn't happen then. Doesn't take away from the seats though.

https://twitter.com/PaulTenor/status/1162900871459594240?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Okay, the lesser of the two didn't happen then. Doesn't take away from the seats though.

https://twitter.com/PaulTenor/status/1162900871459594240?s=19

I can see 2 seats that looks purposely smashed the others look like they bent from people standing on them which happens easily

Football club treats away fans like animals, is surprised when away fans behave like animals.

Back on track.

A win at home to Bray next sets it up for a big night in Drogheda....

Annd9 wrote: »
    I can see 2 seats that looks purposely smashed the others look like they bent from people standing on them which happens easily
    You can just go to a ground and f*cking damage seats, why in the name of Christ are you trying to excuse it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 200 seats damaged, and it doesn't matter if it was "accidental" or not, it's still being a complete prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Annd9 wrote: »
    You can just go to a ground and f*cking damage seats, why in the name of Christ are you trying to excuse it. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 200 seats damaged, and it doesn't matter if it was "accidental" or not, it's still being a complete prick.

Not excusing it at all , purposely breaking seats is disgraceful. I was pointing out the other ones look bent from people standing on them , it happens sometimes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

does anyone know if there is stand tickets available for dundalk v bohs tomorrow night? what sort of crowd do you think will be at it? what kind of team will dundalk put out? will it be more like a league game seeing as it's a semi final.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Good crowd from Bohs will be going anyway.

Eh obviously there’s a huge difference between something getting broken accidentally and intentionally.

There was a massive Garda presence in front of us so I really don’t think people were smashing up seats.

• Advertisement

Eh obviously there’s a huge difference between something getting broken accidentally and intentionally.

There was a massive Garda presence in front of us so I really don’t think people were smashing up seats.

I personally tried to smash up several seats in the ground but was too knackered after wrecking the pub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement