Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Pity the game is at 8pm on the Sat. evening and not on the Sunday at 3. But then again we dont have to understand the decisions of the FAI. One can only assume Institute are paying more for the use of the ground!!! :D:D

Whats the story with security around the ground??? Any mention of your local police force coming out in force to protect away fans. Can only imagine the young lads on the drink all day will have a field day if Derry dont win. Bus companies from around Louth refusing to drive to it.

Nonsense, they refused to go for a year or 2 after the incidents a few years backk. Their was 3 bus loads (1 big and 2 mini buses) at our last game V Derry. I know of 3 going this Friday and I am booked on a Anchour Tours bus for the final, which we booked straight after game was announced today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Nonsense, they refused to go for a year or 2 after the incidents a few years backk. Their was 3 bus loads (1 big and 2 mini buses) at our last game V Derry. I know of 3 going this Friday and I am booked on a Anchour Tours bus for the final, which we booked straight after game was announced today!

Anchor tours can hardly refuse when they are taking the team to it. However another local bus company today refused to do a run on the phone. Going myself with Anchor now...

Anchor tours can hardly refuse when they are taking the team to it. However another local bus company today refused to do a run on the phone. Going myself with Anchor now...

Well Sevens and Sean Maguire (takes fans to loads games) have had buses in Derry this season and last season, so name the company or your talking ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Matthews didn’t run a bus to Tallaght last week. I’d say they won’t be interested in Derry either. By far the largest local bus company, a match like this would be of no interest to them, unlike sevens or anchor.

Dundalk fans complaining about the scheduling of the League Cup Final, a lot of clubs would love to be in their position.

Not complaining, just saying we have matches on 23rd, 26th, 30th August and 2nd Sept. And another 2 to be slotted in somewhere after that (City and Rovers)

At the moment we have no home matches in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

joeysoap wrote: »
    Not complaining, just saying we have matches on 23rd, 26th, 30th August and 2nd Sept. And another 2 to be slotted in somewhere after that (City and Rovers)

At the moment we have no home matches in September.

Ah ye will be grand. Its not right to be fair but if any club can cope ye can. Ye will probably still win the lot :D

Matthews didn’t run a bus to Tallaght last week. I’d say they won’t be interested in Derry either. By far the largest local bus company, a match like this would be of no interest to them, unlike sevens or anchor.

Sure we wont need many buses. What kinda ticket allocation will we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

BOHtox wrote: »
    Only seeing this now. Keep us the good work

great layout. Much nicer than FCtables, their stats are a bit more focussed on betting

https://www.fctables.com/ireland/airtricity-league/
    https://www.fctables.com/teams/bohemian-fc-181480/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's been no bother at any game at the Brandywell this year.

I think being at home is no benefit to us tbh, I think we often play better away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Looking through league 2 attendances for matches on a Tuesday night really puts us to shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

tastyt wrote: »
    Looking through league 2 attendances for matches on a Tuesday night really puts us to shame
    You must consider the difference in population and culture.

You must consider the difference in population and culture.

You have to remember English people are good at supporting their local football clubs.

Irish people are good are supporting English football clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

tastyt wrote: »

and how they are also able to run clubs into the ground with those bigger attendances.

50 EFL clubs made a loss last year and Bolton refused to play last night because the administrator didn't want to force the youth players to play in quick succession.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

dfx- wrote: »
    and how they are also able to run clubs into the ground with those bigger attendances.

50 EFL clubs made a loss last year and Bolton refused to play last night because the administrator didn't want to force the youth players to play in quick succession.

Wages, the more money a club gets, the more they pay the same players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The obsession with england & looking down at people supporting clubs outside of Ireland does the LOI no favours.

Need to concentrate on improving the standard of play & way more qualified coaches are needed.
    Underage Bohs & Rovers are producing good players but are way ahead of the rest of the league in the underage leagues.

Need more clubs to reach those standards underage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

When the 2014 final was in Oriel the Rovers supporters were allocated the away end and about 1/3 of the stand. I was sitting near Michael D that day and everything to his right was Rovers. Small buffer zone between fans. His bodyguard took no sh*t from anybody, no moving around till he was gone for his coffee break at half time.

If I recall correctly Rovers allocated us some of the West Stand in 2017.

Was that the time the away fans were"unable" to make to the toilet?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Was that the time the away fans were"unable" to make to the toilet?

???

???

Sure didnt our fans rub **** all over the toilet walls (according to a post online)

No evidence has ever been shown but it def happened :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Random question and not necessarily linked to the LoI, but I see Lucan United have signed Dave Mooney. What do Leinster Senior League clubs gain by signing players like this? I'm sure they are paying him a few bob as he probably would have had offers in the LoI. Obviously some clubs in the LSL will pay players but what do they have to gain from it? Sure they might win the LSL or get through a round or two in the FAI Cup, but there is no money to gain from that really is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Random question and not necessarily linked to the LoI, but I see Lucan United have signed Dave Mooney. What do Leinster Senior League clubs gain by signing players like this? I'm sure they are paying him a few bob as he probably would have had offers in the LoI. Obviously some clubs in the LSL will pay players but what do they have to gain from it? Sure they might win the LSL or get through a round or two in the FAI Cup, but there is no money to gain from that really is there?

Ego. Clubs like this and junior clubs that pay their players just want to be seen as the best team in their divisions. It's why you have clubs like Ballananty Rovers who are a mid table Limerick junior team bringing lads like Bob Ryan and Gary O'Neill down from Dublin a few years back and signing other LOI players lately.

Anyone hear if Danny Lafferty to Dundalk is happening or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Number 1 reason is goals, although he is past his peak LSL level is way below the standard of defences he scored plenty of goals against at League 1/2 level. Some Inter/Junior clubs are financially healthy and have benefactors happy to burn cash. Like football clubs at all levels they want to become the best at their level and having blue-chip ex LOI/EFL names can raise profile and attract decent local players to their clubs

People like to win at all costs, it's not rocket science.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone hear if Danny Lafferty to Dundalk is happening or not?

We have two Danny’s already. :pac:

Can’t see it myself, if he were a midfielder maybe, but left back?

Fair enough, had a feeling it might be the ego of the clubs. I don't really understand the win at all costs mentality in an amateur league, surely there isn't that much glory associated with winning the LSL or Limerick league with whoever is pumping money into these clubs?! You'd think they would be better off putting money towards training coaches or their facilities. It just strikes me as a weird thing to stick money into when there is no chance of them making a return on their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We have two Danny’s already. :pac:

Can’t see it myself, if he were a midfielder maybe, but left back?

and he is 30.

Rumours up here is he's signing.

Fair enough, had a feeling it might be the ego of the clubs. I don't really understand the win at all costs mentality in an amateur league, surely there isn't that much glory associated with winning the LSL or Limerick league with whoever is pumping money into these clubs?! You'd think they would be better off putting money towards training coaches or their facilities. It just strikes me as a weird thing to stick money into when there is no chance of them making a return on their money.
    The glory of being the best in the league that you play in maybe? You can only win what you're in.
    Fair enough if a club doesn't have facilities then paying players isn't a good idea but if they have then let them at it.

You could probably apply a lot of your logic to the League of Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fenn to Cork looks to be happening.

It's weird down here in Limerick, locals that are so involved in junior football and have been for god knows how long will only refer to lads who've gone beyond the local scene by what did on the local scene. Well that's more since junior football overtake senior football here as the likes of Des Kennedy and others from the 60s, 70s and 80s are talked up to for what they did in the LOI.

Anytime some talk about Bob Ryan it's not the two LOI titles he won but how much of a good player he was at schoolboy playing for Geraldines, same with Shane Duggan and Lee J Lynch.

The FAI junior Cup is everything, majority of people are judged on whether they have a medal or not, except for the older generation when only one club would make it to the out of town stage rather than a few from each league. That's why these local clubs will throw money at these players. They want to get that national cup.

• Advertisement

The glory of being the best in the league that you play in maybe? You can only win what you're in.
    Fair enough if a club doesn't have facilities then paying players isn't a good idea but if they have then let them at it.

You could probably apply a lot of your logic to the League of Ireland too.

Ah look maybe you are right, I just find it strange, had a big long post written out but could probably go on and on about this when maybe it's just me who thinks it is odd.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rumours up here is he's signing.

Is the window not closed?

Dean Jarvis on the bench for Dundalk on Monday night.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he were on the team on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Fenn is a very good appointment for Cork.

He has a good eye for a player too something Cork badly need after a few years of poor signings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think Fenn is the right man to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alaric Great Steak

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think Fenn is the right man to take over.

Better than some of the names I heard threw in an application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Will be good appointment I think. Knows the club and seems to be rated as a manager. Lot of unknowns too, picking the right players for this division, another kettle of fish from the First.

Will be hard to watch him scold anyone on the pitch for not tracking back :P

Think Fenn gets vastly overated because of his style of play and will do poorly at Cork. Tim Clancy has been better than Fenn since joining Drogheda but probably doesn't get talked about half as much as Fenn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Second round of the cup takes place this weekend with 8 ties to take place over the weekend with 5 on Friday, 2 on Saturday and the all non-league clash between Crumlin and Lucan on Sunday. We have 2 all premier division ties, 4 premier division vs first division matches and one non-league vs premier division clash along with the aforementioned all non-league clash.

Tie of the round is undoubtedly the match between premier division leaders Dundalk and 4th placed Derry City in the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium. Derry's recent winning run came to a halt last Friday night against Shams and with Dundalk having recovered from the European disappointment with two thrashings of Finn Harps and Bohemians, it looks to be a tough ask for Derry particularly with Parkhouse suspended. Of the three ties between the two sides already this season Dundalk have won one and the other two ended in 2-2 draws.

The other all Premier Division clash has us travel to UCD. UCD are in turmoil atm with a horrific hammering last Friday in Dalymount leading to the sacking of Collie O'Neill on Monday. He has been replaced by Maciej Tarnogrodski who was the U-19 manager and who I can remember doing a decent job with Bray for a short while a few years ago. We had a good win against Sligo last Friday night and with Glen McAuley looking like a decent find, I'm fairly confident of going through although there is always something unnerving about facing a team that should want redemption after last weekend's embarrassment.
    Of the four Premier Division vs First Division ties its hard to see an upset in any of them. Drogheda knocked Shams out last year but that was in United Park and against a weaker Shams side than this season. Its very hard to see lightening strike twice and I can't see Shams taking the Drogs too lightly. With the confusion over Fenn and the possibility of Longford going to Dalymount without a manager, it should be fairly comfortable for Bohs to go through. Same goes for Sligo on Saturday night against a Limerick side whose situation this season has been a disgrace and embarrassing for the league and the city of Limerick which calls itself "the sporting capital of Ireland" with my apologies to the Limerick fans on this forum for the crap they have had to endure this season.

The last Premier Divison vs First Division tie is between Galway United and Cork City in Eamon Deacy Park. I've seen this been called as a potential upset but I find it very hard to see Cork not going through. I saw Galway down in Wexford last month and they were an extremely ordinary side who were very limited against the worst team in the two divisions. Cork although they have been really bad this season and had to rely on a penalty shoot out to get past Cabinteely should still have more than enough to go through.

In the other ties Waterford face the long trip to Donegal to take on Glengad. I know nothing about Glengad so its hard to see them troubling an admittedly flakey Waterford side who conceded five on Monday night against Shams at home. In the all non league clash between Crumlin and Lucan I think Crumlin should go through even though Lucan made the interesting signing of Dave Mooney during the week.

Friday 23rd August

Derry City vs Dundalk 19:45 Ryan Mcbride Brandywell Stadium
    Bohemians Vs Longford Town 19:45 Dalymount Park
    UCD vs Saint Patricks Athletic 19:45 UCD Bowl
    Galway United vs Cork City 19:45 Eamon Deacy Park
    Shamrock Rovers vs Drogheda United 20:00 Tallaght Stadium

Saturday 24th August

Glengad United vs Waterford FC 17:00 Glengad (I think)
    Sligo Rovers vs Limerick FC 20:00 The Showgrounds

Sunday 25th August
    Crumlin United vs Lucan United 14:00 Armaqh Road

The lack of TV coverage is annoying with the Derry vs Dundalk tie a perfect opportunity for television but as usual its not. Any links to commentary send them up and if you're going to a match make sure to enjoy it!

Linfield up 2-1 against Qarabag at the break....

Two shots on goal - 2 goals :)

• Advertisement

Has a team from the north ever made it to the group stages of Europe?

Has a team from the north ever made it to the group stages of Europe?
    Linfield are the first team to make it to the Playoff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sugarman wrote: »
    3-1 up now :eek:

Unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Potential Celtic Linfield group stage game lol !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Potential Celtic Linfield group stage game lol !

The biggest club in Ireland Vs the biggest club in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

And I thought it was a mistake for Hery to go North. Don't I feel silly..

Super result.

Edit: Aghhh. They conceded a penalty in the 92nd minute. 3-2 now.

They ain't through yet.
    The away tie will be tough.

But amazing result all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Think Fenn gets vastly overated because of his style of play and will do poorly at Cork. Tim Clancy has been better than Fenn since joining Drogheda but probably doesn't get talked about half as much as Fenn.

That Clancy point is probably a fair one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Incredible result for Linfield tonight but don't see them getting through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

At 3-1 I coulda believed but gonna be very tough for them over there

Great result though adds much needed Coefficient points for the Irish League

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement