Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah lads, verbally abusing linesman? Every team out there tonight had someone who did that this evening. Is it just because some fans are near and can hear that suddenly make it an incident?

Yeah, your right. Conor McCormack is a great player who gets stuck in, in the same vein as say Shields. He probably doesn’t deserve the stick he gets, especially in Oriel. I don’t know what tonight’s verbals we’re about so I shouldn’t have commented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

tastyt wrote: »
    It's a country with a fully professional league, a proper football ladder, proper football grounds with atmospheres. Football culture, league steeped in history, an actual football industry.

We sometimes have the cheek to look down our noses at Scottish football, and yea we usually have a couple of teams that would survive in their premier league. The Mickey mouse cup bohs and Waterford have entered tells you all you need to know about the difference though. Underage and lower league teams playing in it against traditionally 2 of our huge clubs who feel they need to play in it for financial reasons.

Scottish football has a million problems but even at that level, as an option for a professional footballer it's light years ahead of the league of Ireland. He'd be the best striker in our league.

And that's ****ing depressing

Spot on ! The Scots can maintain 4 divisions we can barely keep 2 going. Obviously outside of the premier not great attendance but that’s to be expected. Only thing they should be embarrassed about is the constant failing of the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

joeysoap wrote: »
    Yeah, your right. Conor McCormack is a great player who gets stuck in, in the same vein as say Shields. He probably doesn’t deserve the stick he gets, especially in Oriel. I don’t know what tonight’s verbals we’re about so I shouldn’t have commented.

McCormack played well and gave everything. He is fun to watch on the pitch though, a bit like watching Ollie Horgan in the dugout.

The stick he gets at Oriel is half-hearted, fans still appreciate his desire to help his side. They just don't like the shirt he wears.

Wasn’t the only one who thought the referee was poor. Sun ratings. I know - it’s the Sun, but it fairly accurate with the others.

DUNDALK: Rogers 6; Gannon 8, Cleary 7, Boyle 7, Jarvis 7; Shields 8, Benson 7 (D Kelly 67, 6; McGrath 7 (G Kelly 77, 8), McEleney 8, Duffy 8; Hoban 7 (Dummigan 85, 6).

CORK CITY: Ryan 8; Horgan 6, McCarthy 6, Casey 6, Hurley 6; McCormack 8, Byrne 6; O’Connor 6 (Crowley 86, 6), Stokes 6 (O’Brien Whitmarsh 83, 6), Griffin 6, O’Sullivan 6.

REFEREE: B Connolly (Dublin) 5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

19th win a row against Galway, second in a row from 1-0 down away from home and unbeaten in 29 games.
    He's possibly settled over there.

It's not possible to be as simple as that.

It's always a reason which allows a go at the LOI instead. I think some must have an excel spreadsheet of UK attendances. Bolton had an average of 15,000, 3x more than Falkirk last year, they must be in rude health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

dfx- wrote: »
    19th win a row against Galway, second in a row from 1-0 down away from home and unbeaten in 29 games.

It's not possible to be as simple as that.

It's always a reason which allows a go at the LOI instead. I think some must have an excel spreadsheet of UK attendances. Bolton had an average of 15,000, 3x more than Falkirk last year, they must be in rude health.

Ok that's a fair point. Forgetting attendances, look at facilities.

Just had a look at where bohs are playing today against Airdrie. 10k all seater stadium, corporate facilities, medical centre and training centre with 7/8 pitches . And that's for a team in the bottom half of the 3rd division in Scotland, that are currently beating bohs unfortunately.

We all love the league and big it up as much as possible but we have to be realistic too.

Sure even Rovers are beating Bohs these days...

But with all those facilities in an invitational cup, they have only just gone 3-2 up at home. Bohs have none of the medical centres, play in a rotting stadium with a third of the capacity without 200 pitches and are being more than competitive. How is that possible?

And then of course you have Kilmarnock losing to Cardiff Met University in a competitive game. No point in having those facilities doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Sure even Rovers are beating Bohs these days...

But with all those facilities in an invitational cup, they have only just gone 3-2 up at home. Bohs have none of the medical centres, play in a rotting stadium without 200 pitches and are being more than competitive. How is that possible?

And then of course you have Kilmarnock losing to Cardiff Met University in a competitive game. No point in having those facilities doing that.

Yes bohs are being more than competitive, but losing to a Scottish 3rd division side, is that what we should aspire to?

Should we not at least strive for facilities that will attract more families through the gates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tough to lose that last night. Performances have definitely picked up since Fenn came in even if results haven't. Just need a shake up and freshness at end of season, barring not being caught by Harps.

Goal looked suspiciously like Kelly punched the ball in too. Didn't see it clearly at the match but saw a few City players vehemently arguing about. Replays do look like he did.

• Advertisement

Goal looked suspiciously like Kelly punched the ball in too. Didn't see it clearly at the match but saw a few City players vehemently arguing about. Replays do look like he did.

Impossible to tell from the footage. No one disputed it at the time.

What a pass from McEleney for the cutback by Gannon though. :D

tastyt wrote: »
    Yes bohs are being more than competitive, but losing to a Scottish 3rd division side, is that what we should aspire to?

Should we not at least strive for facilities that will attract more families through the gates?

It's a decent away performance for a reserve Bohs side in an invitational cup. Only recognisable player was Ward upfront.

We should of course strive for better facilities, there's no-one arguing that? However, it's not attracting people to attend their games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a pass from McEleney for the cutback by Gannon though. :D

Its like something you'd see in a 5-a-side game.

When Fats is on song he's a joy to watch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just looking at a video on Bohs social media if Airdrie's ground. Some facility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just looking at a video on Bohs social media if Airdrie's ground. Some facility

The original Airdrie went out of business and took their 130 year history with them due to the debts from building that stadium. Don't think it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Happy for Sligo Rovers getting two decent gates for their home FAI Cup games, makes up for the riding they got with no home league games for some bit. It'd be better again if they got a home Semi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Impossible to tell from the footage. No one disputed it at the time.

They did. 2 City players immediately claimed handball.

Lets be honest - Dublin medja would love Rovers to win the league,

Not one (Dublin) based paper suggested Kelly handled the ball.

Irish examiner never mentioned it either. Though they probably don’t care who wins the league to be fair.

I was at the match, I didn’t see any protests. City defended well, goalie was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Oat23 wrote: »
    The original Airdrie went out of business and took their 130 year history with them due to the debts from building that stadium. Don't think it was worth it.

The very same situation nearly happened to Shamrock Rovers over Tallaght only for SDCC to eventually step in. The burden was a significant contribution to relegating Rovers and the Examiner being appointed and giving the 400 club a go albeit with debt left nehind. I'm glad that the Ben Dunne proposal among other 'investors' at the time were prevented by planning to exploit the burden on Rovers. It wouldn't half be the ground it is today if the project had been in the hands of the club and the likes of Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oat23 wrote: »

Yeh, think the new club bought Clydebank’s place in the league.

They did. 2 City players immediately claimed handball.

Watched it back and I see Dan Casey point to his arm alright.

However, at the game there was no strong appeal to the ref. Seeing that your players chased the ref around park everytime a Dundalk player committed a foul, I would have expected vociferous appeals if the ball was punched into the net.

At the game, the Cork players just trudged back to the halfway line. I appreciate they were knackered after chasing shadows for 70 minutes, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

Anyone know when the FAI Cup semi Final draw is?

Who are unbeaten in 29 games?

Curious.

?....... Replays do look like he did.
    Watched it back and I see Dan Casey point to his arm alright.

Where are you boys seeing this? I can’t see it on you tube.

Shels have sold out their allocation in United Park already. Any of the Shels lads have any idea how many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

@Dundalk fans.

Any idea how many tickets you are taking for the League Cup Final on Saturday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

NIMAN wrote: »
    @Dundalk fans.

Any idea how many tickets you are taking for the League Cup Final on Saturday night?

Seem to remember reading 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shels have sold out their allocation in United Park already. Any of the Shels lads have any idea how many?

Tickets were sold online by Drogheda so doubt anyone in our club knows how many the away section holds.

Who are unbeaten in 29 games?

Curious.

Rovers against Galway. Last defeat in 2006, 1-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Seem to remember reading 800

Yeh just under 800 club said

Yeh just under 800 club said
    Am I right in saying that Dundalk brought more than that to Tallaght last time they met Rovers?
    I know it's a smaller ground but just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Somewhere between 500-600. Expecting a couple hundred in the home end too... Looking like a sellout which for Drogs is good, hasn't been more than a few hundred home fans the last few times we've been up there excluding the play off last year.

Am I right in saying that Dundalk brought more than that to Tallaght last time they met Rovers?
    I know it's a smaller ground but just curious.

For the league games recently yes, close to 1000 both times.

For the League Cup Final in Tallaght in 2017, we were only given 750 tickets.

Club just posted that less 50 tickets left for Saturday, but they did say last week they would get extra tickets if needed.

Cant wait, Bus leaving at 11 and then load pints in the city and out to pub beside ground to watch All Ireland before heading into the game

The Dundalk vs City goal is now up on you tube.

Doesn’t look like a handball to me.

:)

And a few City defenders do look for a handball, not everyone though, and it’s half hearted.

The Dundalk vs City goal is now up on you tube.

Doesn’t look like a handball to me.

:)

And a few City defenders do look for a handball, not everyone though, and it’s half hearted.

It was a clear handball. Gartland even joked about it online

I obviously need to go to spec savers.

Where was Gartland? In the stand? He wasn’t on the bench.there are 6 City players in the area. 2 appealed. The defender with the best view ( beside Gannon) doesn’t appeal.

https://youtu.be/KfcXgzo-jz0

I obviously need to go to spec savers.

Where was Gartland? In the stand? He wasn’t on the bench.there are 6 City players in the area. 2 appealed. The defender with the best view ( beside Gannon) doesn’t appeal.

https://youtu.be/KfcXgzo-jz0

Gartland joked about it online, did I say he was on the pitch?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fair enough.

Somewhere between 500-600. Expecting a couple hundred in the home end too... Looking like a sellout which for Drogs is good, hasn't been more than a few hundred home fans the last few times we've been up there excluding the play off last year.

Drogs twitter confirms 600 Away tickets. Home section nearly sold out too... can imagine they'll be 100-200 Shels in there too.

• Advertisement

Pats have a link up with Crumlin so you'd imagine it wouldn't be mad money.... then again!

So it's been changed from Dalyer to Richmond, Crumlin got their way :D Fairplay to them!

So it's been changed from Dalyer to Richmond, Crumlin got their way :D Fairplay to them!
    They're still not happy :rolleyes: Plenty of teams who'd love to be in their position

https://twitter.com/crumlinunited/status/1171144762671423489?s=19

Was it ever in Dalyer?

This is a needlessly aggressive response to a genuine question, tone it back down please or you will be banned from the thread.

Dealt with.

They're still not happy :rolleyes: Plenty of teams who'd love to be in their position

https://twitter.com/crumlinunited/status/1171144762671423489?s=19

I can sympathise with Crunlin over the date. Schools are back and a Friday night fixture is more ‘school’ friendly than a Monday. I have a relative in Carrickmacross who has two sons who want to see *Shamrock Rovers play in Oriel, not on a Monday night though. Because of school the next day.

Have been to a few Dundalk matches. Now they want to see Rovers. :eek:

• Advertisement

This is a needlessly aggressive response to a genuine question, tone it back down please or you will be banned from the thread.
    Was the poster wi replied too warned over him or her been just as agressive and smart asking where Gartland was after I clearly stated he said it online?

Let’s forget about it.

A stroll in the park for Dundalk at the RSC in the FAI Cup last night. Waterford looked dead on their feet or disinterested, I can't tell which.

I was in the Iveagh Grounds for Crumlin v Dundalk two years ago, and in their Armagh Rd pitch for a Leinster Senior Cup game against Shels a few years back.... neither pitch would hold several hundred Bohs fans along with Crumlin fans. They have to be a bit realistic!
    Was it ever in Dalyer?

Was it not? Extratime or Bohs twitter tweeted it was Dalymount and someone posted previously on this thread too.
    A stroll in the park for Dundalk at the RSC in the FAI Cup last night. Waterford looked dead on their feet or disinterested, I can't tell which.

Only 800 at it too.... Lee Power won't be staying around with those attendances you'd imagine.

954 in Waterford.

Bonkers that they played essentially a friendly on Saturday and an FAI Cup Quarter Final on a Monday...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement