Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If they didn't do it, I wouldn't get a ticket as I'm away for the couple of hour window that tickets are on sale.

Club is owned by the members, it's only right that I should just be able to turn up on the night and be able to get in. I would say the vast, vast majority of members will attend, I don't see any empty seats
    Why wouldn't they just do online sales for members up until they start selling them in the ground?

At least that way, if you've members who aren't planning on buying a ticket, more people can buy tickets than will be currently able.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

CSF wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they just do online sales for members up until they start selling them in the ground?

At least that way, if you've members who aren't planning on buying a ticket, more people can buy tickets than will be currently able.

Club wouldn't have the manpower to set up that kind of system I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

CSF wrote: »
    If they didn't do it, I wouldn't get a ticket as I'm away for the couple of hour window that tickets are on sale.

Club is owned by the members, it's only right that I should just be able to turn up on the night and be able to get in. I would say the vast, vast majority of members will attend, I don't see any empty seats

How would you restrict the online sales to just members?? By membership number ? You’d still have to adjust the online system to accommodate these rules restrictions and one week to go until match day! it’s not ideal!

Clubs hands are tied here they trying to accommodate loyalty and I think if anyone truly wants a ticket they will get one as said any member that can’t make it no doubt the card will end up with someone else a friend or whoever! I’ve done it plenty of times this season handing over mine to mates if can’t make it I pay enough thoughout the year for it not to go to waste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

How many members do Bohs have out of interest?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

howiya wrote: »

Approx 400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A couple of big matches between say Shamrock Rover and Linfield aside, an AIL isn't really any more attractive than the LOI. Most of the games would be against the same teams they're against now anyway. I don't see TV companies being willing to throw any real money at it.

On UCD, the fact that a university team with a couple of hundred fans can play in the top division really shows what a shambles the whole league is. They 'shouldn't' be anywhere near the top division, but they are, because so many other teams are such a mess, my own most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

UCD have no business being in the top division. Wouldn't get it in any other country and just shows how underfunded the league is.

Mexico has 2university teams in their top tier... UNAM Pumas play out of a 55,000 capacity stadium...

As someone else said, 8,10,12 teams make very little difference. It's all about the branding and marketing.
    An 8 team league will just guarantee a top 7, short of a massive cash injection, no team will be able to step up and it could be a financial catastrophe for those who fail trying to compete/have a bad year. It's not that long since Drogheda won the league... It's hard enough to step up to the premier as it is now.

Do we actually have 8 good stadiums? Some teams are drawing crowds but most grounds have seen better days no mooted projects are going ahead at present thanks to the FAI, government, whoever.

Changing the format AGAIN truly is deckchairs on the titanic. Increased in 04, cut in 08, increased, cut again... Clearly if it was the number of teams something would have changed by now. It's instability like that which is another mess on the league's reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fully agree that the main stumbling block to the LOI improving is in advertising, promotion etc but an 8 team league would ruin it for the rest. How could a team have any chance of pushing up without a money man at the helm and we all know what happens next then. 12 teams with 2 up/down and a playoff is the optimal for me. Gives a chance for clubs to get promoted, stay up and try and grow. Then market it properly and have actual prize money and there's a chance it'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not sure of 2 up / 2 down and a playoff.

Certainly would increase the chances of promotion, The promoted teams would then spend the season fighting relegation if 2 were to be relegated automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

• Advertisement

That link isn’t working for me

No online tickets for Oriel next Monday.

Tickets for this fixture are available from the office at Oriel Park ONLY. There are no online tickets available. The fixture is likely to be a sell out – we urge supporters to purchase their ticket as early as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Everyone thinks of Linfield or Cliftonville in an all Irish league, but beyond them, there's no interest in playing Ballymena, Institute, Distillery or Newry which would be the real effect of putting everyone together. I've no real interest in playing Linfield either tbh.

The league needs an A-Championship and structure below them before reducing teams or expanding teams or bringing in worse teams from the North. The 'best team in years' in non-league, Crumlin, were comfortably dispatched by Bohs in terms of fitness and strength.

How many league champions have started out at UCD? And they shouldn't be 'allowed' go up? How many are in the top sides now? Harps have held their own as much as Cork or Waterford.

The LOI is the only show in town whether people like it or not.
    gwalk wrote: »
    wonder what they are

Ability to pay in cash on the turnstiles to an unknown number of people in a mixed gate must be there.

I'd imagine allocation would be sold out before any tickets get to turnstiles. Bohs will just send 800 tickets to Tallaght and let them sort out how they want to distribute. There will be no online sales for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

dfx- wrote: »
    Everyone thinks of Linfield or Cliftonville in an all Irish league, but beyond them, there's no interest in playing Ballymena, Institute, Distillery or Newry which would be the real effect of putting everyone together. I've no real interest in playing Linfield either tbh.

The league needs an A-Championship and structure below them before reducing teams or expanding teams or bringing in worse teams from the North. The 'best team in years' in non-league, Crumlin, were comfortably dispatched by Bohs in terms of fitness and strength.

How many league champions have started out at UCD? And they shouldn't be 'allowed' go up? How many are in the top sides now? Harps have held their own as much as Cork or Waterford.

The LOI is the only show in town whether people like it or not.

Ability to pay in cash on the turnstiles to an unknown number of people in a mixed gate must be there.

Is there a will in sorting out a proper football ladder in the country?

I don't know the ins and outs of Leinster and Munster senior league etc but would they have any interest in being promoted towards an A championship or would there be a lot of resistance?

Obviously anything lower than 1st division would have to be regionalised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

howiya wrote: »

Between members and ST holders it's around 1000 total. Think I saw 550 members and 400 ST holders in recent reports. If changes weren't planned for Dalymount I'd say the club would need to look into a different ticketing system for members but probably not worth it in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

tastyt wrote: »

I don't know the ins and outs of Leinster and Munster senior league etc but would they have any interest in being promoted towards an A championship or would there be a lot of resistance?

Tbh, the likes of Wexford would probably benefit from having a lower level to play at. Small number of volunteers killing themselves to be whipping boys every year is a pain.

There would no resistance if FAI sorted out the fees in entering.

bohsman wrote: »
    Between members and ST holders it's around 1000 total. Think I saw 550 members and 400 ST holders in recent reports. If changes weren't planned for Dalymount I'd say the club would need to look into a different ticketing system for members but probably not worth it in the short term.

Other way around, 391 members and 514 season tickets for 2018 season anyway.

Always surprised the club get many ST holders when you consider the value of membership at not much extra cost.

With the FAI in chaos this is the perfect time to structure the league properly all the way down, just needs investment from the top down not a couple of novelty sized cheques and the rest used for JDs birthday. They've shown with the underage LOI section that they can force the hands of the junior clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Approx 400.

There was a big drive this year and that's closer to 500 members members now I believe.

As of the AGM there was 78 new members and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few stragglers after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

BOHtox wrote: »
    There was a big drive this year and that's closer to 500 members members now I believe.

As of the AGM there was 78 new members and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few stragglers after.

The drive for 500?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

To be honest the Munster and Leinster Senior Leagues having their provinces in the title is laughable. Munster Senior is entirely Cork, Leinster Senior is for the most part Dublin and some surrounding areas, Ulster Senior has 7 teams which includes Harps and Derry Reserves while I'm fairly sure the remaining 5 are Donegal, the Connacht Senior League saw attempts to be brought back a few years ago but no joy.

In the league's current guise I can't see anyone wanting to join, but if you brought in an A Championship (which I'm all for) and didn't charge clubs an arm and a leg to join then I'm sure you'd have clubs who'd only love to progress a bit.

But if you're going to bring in a Third tier then you need to sort out the progression from Junior to Intermediate. There needs to be proper Provincial leagues that actually encompass clubs from outside of one area (doesn't have to span the length and breadth), promotion from Junior leagues to those aforementioned Intermediate ones as well as some progression from Intermediate to Senior provided a club is capable of taking a place in the league.

It's not even rocket science; it's a football pyramid.

Hopefully with all the sells outs this season we can come up with a few more. It’s only a Euro a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Figures as of last week anyway are 564 members and 459 season ticket holders at Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

- bo - wrote: »
    Figures as of last week anyway are 564 members and 459 season ticket holders at Bohs.

Incredible numbers compared to what we were a few years ago.

Our average attendance in 2014 was 1395. After this Keith Long was appointed Bohs manager.
    15 - 1724
    16 - 1627
    17 - 2006
    18 - 2202
    19 - 2864

We've nearly the same amount of members and ST holders than our average attendance a few years ago. We're bringing more to away games than we were getting at home games. We're at a stage where we're heavily limited by capacity.

• Advertisement

Incredible numbers compared to what we were a few years ago.

Our average attendance in 2014 was 1395. After this Keith Long was appointed Bohs manager.
    15 - 1724
    16 - 1627
    17 - 2006
    18 - 2202
    19 - 2864

We've nearly the same amount of members and ST holders than our average attendance a few years ago. We're bringing more to away games than we were getting at home games. We're at a stage where we're heavily limited by capacity.

Success on the pitch is helping but think it comes down to the fact, Dalymount is a good night out, as I'd say, a great session ruined by a game of football.

Incredible work over the last few years to establish our increased fanbase

defo limited now in this ground, said earlier, we coulda had 10,000 for this semi final game with old capacity not too long ago.

I saw a piece with bohs head of marketing on eir sports. I think he owns a coffee shop in phibsboro.

He's done a brilliant job, creating a real brand and sense of club at bohs. Very interesting to listen to as well. Knows it's not all about the quality on the pitch, it's about the experience, the atmosphere. Those attendance stats above will show you that, especially when you consider bohs haven't been challenging for any trophies and haven't even been in Europe.

The fai could do a lot worse than make him an offer to go and market the league.

If bohs can get the dalymount ball rolling again great things could be ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I saw a piece with bohs head of marketing on eir sports. I think he owns a coffee shop in phibsboro.

He's done a brilliant job, creating a real brand and sense of club at bohs. Very interesting to listen to as well. Knows it's not all about the quality on the pitch, it's about the experience, the atmosphere. Those attendance stats above will show you that, especially when you consider bohs haven't been challenging for any trophies and haven't even been in Europe.

The fai could do a lot worse than make him an offer to go and market the league.

If bohs can get the dalymount ball rolling again great things could be ahead.

Should check out Daniel Lambert's interview on GLITW podcast. Well worth a listen. Think it was towards the start of the 2018 season, the new Cork GM was also on the show and the difference between both guys was night and day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Shameful by FAI and Limerick to treat this fella like this. Even GAA club players would get their medical costs covered

https://www.the42.ie/sean-russell-interview-4814616-Sep2019/

That was a good win for Slovan Bratislava last night

I’ll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

Shameful by FAI and Limerick to treat this fella like this. Even GAA club players would get their medical costs covered

https://www.the42.ie/sean-russell-interview-4814616-Sep2019/

Someone in our house did an acl last year playing for an amateur Dublin club, and initially it seemed there was an issue over insurance. FAI told me there was no obligation for clubs to have any insurance to cover injuries to players. :rolleyes:

Operation alone was five and a half grand, plus costs of mri scans and the endless physio over the following year probably comes in at another few grand.

Players at all levels really need to check what level of cover their club has, in some cases it is a bare minimum, and no where near covers what is fairly common injury these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Harps visit CCFC tonight in a relegation play off 6 pointer. The accepted knowledge down here is that harps have already been beaten and we are safe. God help us if the players have that attitude.

It will be a tight game and I suspect Harps will win 0-2 / 1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Of all the shyte the club has been involved with over the last couple of years, not covering treatment for your own player's injury is right at the top for me.

I would always have thought that proof of insurance was a basic necessity for licensing.

There's absolutely no will of course and why rearranging the chairs is always preferred like adding or removing teams and mixing leagues. Limerick v Dungannon Swifts on a Tuesday night will have people crowding in...

But there was no will from Kevin's or Cabinteely or junior teams to be linked up with an LOI club either. And that happened.

The First Division shouldn't be the first time you face a national league

Someone in our house did an acl last year playing for an amateur Dublin club, and initially it seemed there was an issue over insurance. FAI told me there was no obligation for clubs to have any insurance to cover injuries to players. :rolleyes:

Well...there may be no obligation to have insurance...but that's far from saying there is no obligation to cover his medical expenses.

If a person is a member of a club and he is told he has insurance, he may be able to issue for breach of contract and/or misrepresentation if that turns out to be incorrect. Now that's not to say he would recover all damages to cover, say, time off work., but he would surely recoup his medicals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Euromillions tonight is €190 million. Think I'll buy Longford Town if I win :cool:

Just saw an add on rte, they are showing the cork club hurling quarter finals live at the weekend.

Keeps getting better

Euromillions tonight is €190 million. Think I'll buy Longford Town if I win :cool:

It's the LOI, you'd be broke in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just saw an add on rte, they are showing the cork club hurling quarter finals live at the weekend.

Keeps getting better
    They're showing live club GAA on Saturday evenings for the next 8 weeks. They're following the ratings unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Keeps getting better

Can't understand people whinging about this, it'll probably get more viewers than the average LOI game too. RTÉ should be able to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Can't understand people whinging about this, it'll probably get more viewers than the average LOI game too. RTÉ should be able to do both.

Have to say, I tend to agree here. I'd watch both.

Love RTE to have a sports dedicated channel. Plenty of sport in Ireland for it. LOI, Gaelic football, Hurling, Rugby, Athlectics, Hockey, Cricket from the domestic end. Add in their international football / rugby rights. There'd be plenty to show I'd say.

They must have reams of old GAA footage as filler.

They could then show a LOI game every week & have a proper highlight show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The coverage of LOI on TV has been very good this year. But they really missed out not showing Shamrock Rovers v Brann and Apollon, especially Jack Byrne's performance in both games

Living abroad it's been nearly impossible to find ways to watch Eir so have been mainly stuck with the sportstracker stream, improvement on recent years but hoping this new streaming system Cork and Dundalk are trialling gets a full rollout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

wadacrack wrote: »
    The coverage of LOI on TV has been very good this year. But they really missed out not showing Shamrock Rovers v Brann and Apollon, especially Jack Byrne's performance in both games

Missed his performances Vs Bohs and Dundalk myself this season :D

bohsman wrote: »
    Living abroad it's been nearly impossible to find ways to watch Eir so have been mainly stuck with the sportstracker stream, improvement on recent years but hoping this new streaming system Cork and Dundalk are trialling gets a full rollout.

that's an odd one, some have said that as well. My mobile contract is with eir with access to their app and their channels, so eir is the easiest way of watching games* living abroad.

*Rovers record on eir is more off-putting...

If ye won 190 million lads would ye genuinely buy your club? How much would you be willing to plough into it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Have to say, I tend to agree here. I'd watch both.

Love RTE to have a sports dedicated channel. Plenty of sport in Ireland for it. LOI, Gaelic football, Hurling, Rugby, Athlectics, Hockey, Cricket from the domestic end. Add in their international football / rugby rights. There'd be plenty to show I'd say.

They must have reams of old GAA footage as filler.

They could then show a LOI game every week & have a proper highlight show

As great as this would be and it's done in other countries like Austria, it won't be done here for 1 reason, Rte and its budgetary issues. Outside broadcast units are expensive and rte is already struggling due to its insistence on paying over the odds for useless presenters and terrible comedy and reality TV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If ye won 190 million lads would ye genuinely buy your club? How much would you be willing to plough into it ?

Not sure Cork City would want to sell to a single person anymore. Had enough problems with that in the past. That said I doubt they'd say no to a sugar daddy signing a blank check each year.

If I'd the chance, yeah I'd like to buy it, wouldn't go crazy, but would keep them on a level playing field with Dundalk. If Dundalk get €2m from a European run, plough that matching amount in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

With a €190m you could afford to do a Pat O'Sullivan in terms of money spent but this time actually spend it wisely. You've got a €190m, might as well enjoy yourself because you can't take it with you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Dylan McGlade mentioning on his socials about moving to Newcastle on Sunday. More than likely trialling with some non-league side like Gateshead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement