Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

tastyt wrote: »
    If ye won 190 million lads would ye genuinely buy your club? How much would you be willing to plough into it ?

I wouldn't sell to myself. Bohs must remain a members owned club. I could offer a generous sponsorship however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I wouldn't buy Rovers.

I would make sure they have the best youth academies, and training facilities I could get them.

I'd also help the council out with properly finishing the stadium.

Then build a purpose built indoor athletics centre for Tallaght Athletics Club, and get the National Basketball Arena redeveloped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If ye won 190 million lads would ye genuinely buy your club? How much would you be willing to plough into it ?

It'd be one of the first things on my mind to be honest. Wouldn't be looking to be the next Monaco or something, just try to fund it to be secure enough for a reasonable long term plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Severe lack of goals tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That should see City safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Maybe people know this already, but I noticed that Flashscore are uploading video of goals via trackchamp usually within 5 minutes of it being scored which is handy.

Not many goals tonight but you can see an example here - https://www.flashscore.com/match/faVixlF4/#video

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Take a point up in the Brandywell. 14 year old Evan Ferguson came on. Cue mass hysteria "hE CoULd hAvE BeeN KiLled!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Take a point up in the Brandywell. 14 year old Evan Ferguson came on. Cue mass hysteria "hE CoULd hAvE BeeN KiLled!"

Wow he must be a serious talent.

Has he played with the 17's and 19's and ripped it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I don't think 14 year olds should be playing. He's just a child. Imagine a 14 year old getting playing ahead of you lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor night in the LOI tonight. Five games and only 3 goals. None in any second half. No home team scored a goal.
    Anyway the Town won and that’s all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sums up the league this year tonight.

Fitness levels are good. Quality very very poor.

Wow he must be a serious talent.

Has he played with the 17's and 19's and ripped it up?

Came on against Chelsea in the friendly and ripped it up. Basically he's going to England when he's 15. He's Barry Ferguson's son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3 goals in 5 games . End of season feel to it. Poor league this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Pretty much the same as others I wouldn't be looking to spend big on players. I'd raise the infrastructure up a couple of levels and drift away again. I'd try to stay anonymous.

I'd help Sligo Rovers to finish off the Showgrounds. 4th stand - probably a roofed terrace and roof the railway end along with a few other bits and pieces around the ground.
    I reckon about €5 million would do nicely.

I'd pay for a nice training base somewhere either in or near town. A few outdoor pitches and one of those soccer domes and a high performance gym.
    Some player accommodation attached too.
    The kind of place that would be a destination for all athletes in the West. It would need to be multipurpose to pay for itself and maybe make Rovers a few bob.
    Probably spend €5-10 million here.

Clear the small bit of debt they have.

Give them €500,000 to spend as they want and leave them in good health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Having a 14 year old play seems absolutely bonkers. Surely unheard of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I don't think 14 year olds should be playing. He's just a child. Imagine a 14 year old getting playing ahead of you lol

I'm all in on the if you're good enough you're old enough but I think there should be a rule that lads have to be 16. Adds more value to the player for Bohs and St Kevin's before he moves to England in a couple of years though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

CSF wrote: »
    Having a 14 year old play seems absolutely bonkers. Surely unheard of?
    The youngest player in English football League history was 15 years old. Reuben Noble for Barnsley in 2008.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_records_and_statistics_in_England

14 is ridiculous IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Playing a 14 year old child in a senior professional team is just plain wrong.

Playing a 14 year old child in a senior professional team is just plain wrong.

You'd think it would be but some 14yr olds are as big as some 17 and 18 yr olds.

Didnt a 16 yr old start for Barca away to Bayern Munich in the champions league on Wednesday?

Not saying it's right but depending on their build and ability it seems they are starting younger and younger these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm guessing this is the same kid who came off the bench against Chelsea. He didn't look out of place from what I remember and I'd have guessed he was 17 or 18 by looking at him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Good thing he wasn't in the dressing room two years ago or else there would be big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Decent match in Tallaght for a 0-0. We had control of the first half, Rovers the second so a draw is a fair result. Desmond immense in midfield and Kelly had a great game at centre back.

With regard to the Bohs 14 years old. I wouldn't be a fan, at that age he hasn't fully developed either physically or mentally and Bohs are hardly that stuck for players. Would prefer if under16s minimum were banned from senior football.

Good thing he wasn't in the dressing room two years ago or else there would be big trouble.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not joking when I say I got somebody to witness myself and my wife agreeing that Limerick would be entitled to 50% of any Euromillions win.

The fact that we never buy a ticket is the only small issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

kksaints wrote: »

With regard to the Bohs 14 years old. I wouldn't be a fan, at that age he hasn't fully developed either physically or mentally and Bohs are hardly that stuck for players. Would prefer if under16s minimum were banned from senior football.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but confident enough that it's possibly true because I'm sure I remember one of the coaches at Limerick saying this in regards to one of our young players but Evan Ferguson technically can't play LOI U19s* as he's seen as being too young but can play with the senior team.

Probably another one for the #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

*Anyone here involved with any of the underage teams at a club that can 100% confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You'd think it would be but some 14yr olds are as big as some 17 and 18 yr olds.

Didnt a 16 yr old start for Barca away to Bayern Munich in the champions league on Wednesday?

Not saying it's right but depending on their build and ability it seems they are starting younger and younger these days.

Hes 17 soon, Bohs are doing it to get a good fee for the lad whos keen ona move to England. They have Brandon Bermingham scoring every game for their u19 team who is an excellent player. Its a strange one that he was overlooked last night

?
    He'd have been sharing a dressing room with a man convicted of sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dan1895 wrote: »
    Who?

Izzy

• Advertisement

Who?
    Akinade!?!?

Akinade!?!?
    He moved to Waterford a couple of years ago before getting kicked out of the country.

He moved to Waterford a couple of years ago before getting kicked out of the country.
    Can you actually read? Seriously.

Can you actually read? Seriously.

Relax ffs. It's early.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm not 100% sure on this, but confident enough that it's possibly true because I'm sure I remember one of the coaches at Limerick saying this in regards to one of our young players but Evan Ferguson technically can't play LOI U19s* as he's seen as being too young but can play with the senior team.

Freddy Adu played in MLS at age 14.

Martin Odergaard played senior international for Norway at age 15.

Harvey Elliott played Carabao Cup for Fulham at age 15.

Reuben Noble Lazurus just few months older than Ferguson having just turned 15 when playing for Barnsley in English Championship.

Gavin Bazunu only 16. Look at the size of Andy Lyons, he's a lot smaller than Ferguson.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »

Freddy Adu played in MLS at age 14.

Martin Odergaard played senior international for Norway at age 15.

Harvey Elliott played Carabao Cup for Fulham at age 15.

Reuben Noble Lazurus just few months older than Ferguson having just turned 15 when playing for Barnsley in English Championship.
    Yeah, it’s defo happened elsewhere. Still think there should be rules against it though.

Even ignoring physical size, or whatever, kids that age do not have the emotional maturity to handle all that goes with senior football in a pro/semi pro league.

Many aspects of pro football can be toxic even for a grown man, never mind a child.

To clarify I even think Bazunu was too young going in having recently turned 16.

How do we reliably expect him to handle everything that comes with letting in a howler in the 90th minute to allow Bohs to win a Dublin derby?

In certain instances (to me these situations are definitely one) clubs should have compulsory requirements in terms of child welfare.

To clarify I even think Bazunu was too young going in having recently turned 16.

How do we reliably expect him to handle everything that comes with letting in a howler in the 90th minute to allow Bohs to win a Dublin derby?

In certain instances (to me these situations are definitely one) clubs should have compulsory requirements in terms of child welfare.

To me it would seem a bit ridiculous to not allow 16 year olds play senior football when they can do so in England/Scotland/everywhere else. Why would a decent player decide to stay in Ireland in such a case?

I have suspicions too that it may be contrary to employment law to have an outright ban on 16/17 year olds being able to play.

To me it would seem a bit ridiculous to not allow 16 year olds play senior football when they can do so in England/Scotland/everywhere else. Why would a decent player decide to stay in Ireland in such a case?

I have suspicions too that it may be contrary to employment law to have an outright ban on 16/17 year olds being able to play.

They would be playing as amateurs though. It has to be considered on a case by case basis. All teenagers are not created equal in terms of maturity, both physical and mental.

I'm sure his parents were consulted, his father being a former pro who knows exactly what the LOI is about.

• Advertisement

Hold on, to clarify, I did not make my point specific to Ireland. My point was a general one.

Rules that affect children (both inside and outside of football) should be based first and foremost on the welfare of children.

They would be playing as amateurs though. It has to be considered on a case by case basis. All teenagers are not created equal in terms of maturity, both physical and mental.
    Honestly, how do you take that on a case to case basis? Any club who has a wonder kid who can do a job in the first team, will try to find a way to make their case look like an exceptional one.

Child welfare should really be in the hands of those who don’t have another primary motivation at play. And that definitely doesn’t just apply to sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Probably I’d think I’d trust Long on this, i accept he’s adding value before moving him on, but it must have been magic to the young lad.

:p Anything you can do, we can do better. ( Bazunu was 16)

Hold on, to clarify, I did not make my point specific to Ireland. My point was a general one.

Rules that affect children (both inside and outside of football) should be based first and foremost on the welfare of children.

Yep, that's fair and I wouldn't be against that general point in principle. But practically speaking, we can only really influence what happens in Ireland. Any rule change here without a corresponding rule change across Europe will just lead to kids leaving Ireland earlier to play abroad.

I don't think there's any likelihood of rule changes in other jurisdictions in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will he be in Mick McCarthy provisional squad for the qualifiers next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

On the subject of goalkeepers

Rogers must be near a record number of clean sheets now in a season now?

Honestly, how do you take that on a case to case basis? Any club who has a wonder kid who can do a job in the first team, will try to find a way to make their case look like an exceptional one.

Child welfare should really be in the hands of those who don’t have another primary motivation at play. And that definitely doesn’t just apply to sports.

Are you going to want to put your prized asset in danger? There risk versus reward at LOI level means the player is more valuable fit and healthy. For me, that means you don't play them if you don't think it's safe.

If the lad does get broken up by a bad tackle, the vast majority of the blame has to be on the opposition player.

When I was 14, there was lads my age with full beards and would have no problem playing a senior international rugby game, never mind football. I on the other hand would have been broken to pieces, and in fact at 30 I probably still would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Wasn't one of the coaches at it as well

If he's allegedly good enough to play Senior then surely he's good enough to play for the 19's, who he has yet to play for.
    Mind boggles.

If he's allegedly good enough to play Senior then surely he's good enough to play for the 19's, who it appears he has yet to play for.
    Mind boggles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement