Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm sure his parents were consulted, his father being a former pro who knows exactly what the LOI is about.

I would think his involvement around the senior side could be a condition of him being at Bohs.
    When Odegaard went to Madrid it was a condition in his contract that he would have a few training sessions with the senior team every week.
    Bohs would be more than happy to have him around the senior team as it'll bump up his price when he eventually goes to England. Similar to how Shams got 500k for Bazunu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775409892/

Some queues this morning and still going! Got there before 10 thankfully only queuing an hour! These aren’t making general sale full house signs be going up at 3 I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

major bill wrote: »
    https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775409892/

Some queues this morning and still going! Got there before 10 thankfully only queuing an hour! These aren’t making general sale full house signs be going up at 3 I reckon!

Why are people queuing? Are you not guaranteed your tickets the way they’re looking after members, season ticket holders etc?

howiya wrote: »
    Why are people queuing? Are you not guaranteed your tickets the way they’re looking after members, season ticket holders etc?

Members have their tickets but are entitled to 2 extra tickets before they go on General sale, Season ticket holders still need to buy their tickets, so thats why there are queues.

There will be none left for General Sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any word on what the hold up is/was with Rovers allocation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bohs home allocation sold out. Season ticket holders initially told they could buy 2 but halfway through the morning they restricted it to 1. Bit of a joke to change it on the fly tbh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Aparently due to the abuse the players received down at block A, the wanted it either closed or allocated to themselves. Rightly laughed off.

Aparently due to the abuse the players received down at block A, the wanted it either closed or allocated to themselves. Rightly laughed off.

Parts of it apparently locked down which some are saying may have contributed to the 1ticket per season ticket only! Could be bull****!

Anyway roll on Friday

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

major bill wrote: »
    Parts of it apparently locked down which some are saying may have contributed to the 1ticket per season ticket only! Could be bull****!

Anyway roll on Friday

It that's true they are obviously ****ting themselves already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Latest proposals are for a split after 18 matches. Into 3 divisions of 6, 8 and 6.

Too 6 into champions section.

Bottom 4 join top 4 in 1st division and top 4 of this league rejoin premier league for the start of new season. Bottom 4 obviously rejoin 1st division following season.

Bottom 6 play for ‘play’ for plate. ( gates would be small down here I would imagine) joined by bottom 4 of ‘middle’ division to form following seasons 1st division.

And maybe points halved after 18 matches to have closer leagues. They do this In Belgium apparently.

Interesting and the best I have heard so far

Wouldnt be a fan of splitting the league, particularly after only 18 games. You could be a couple of points off the Euro places after those games and then all of a sudden you're gone even if you win every single game till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

joeysoap wrote: »
    Latest proposals are for a split after 18 matches. Into 3 divisions of 6, 8 and 6.

Too 6 into champions section.

Bottom 4 join top 4 in 1st division and top 4 of this league rejoin premier league for the start of new season. Bottom 4 obviously rejoin 1st division following season.

Bottom 6 play for ‘play’ for plate. ( gates would be small down here I would imagine) joined by bottom 4 of ‘middle’ division to form following seasons 1st division.

And maybe points halved after 18 matches to have closer leagues. They do this In Belgium apparently.

Interesting and the best I have heard so far

As you said interesting and the best yet by far. Really intrigued by the idea of a middle division as it's the same league format they use for Super League without the Grand final play offs, kinda gives every club something to play for but can't see the bottom half of the premier clubs voting for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Seems like their just looking for a new structure and hoping it improve things. it wasn't so long ago that we had a 12 team Premier and changing to a 10 team one has not helped. Seem to be missing the point. The key is to have some sort of decent football industry in this country and that seems a long way off without significant investment and where that comes is hard to say.

I think that foreign investment into the league is probably the only way forward . Its been a very poor season for a number of reasons. The future's of Waterford, Limerick , Cabinteely and Wexford seem to be uncertain now too

League reverts to 2 divisions each year. Split occurs every year after 2 rounds of matches. Only 3 divisions for 2nd half of season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Extra security measures put in place at the "Family Section" by the Rodney Trotter lookalike 😂

• Advertisement

Would the 6 teams play each other home and away. 10 matches, together with the 18 earlier, so 28 matches?

Same for the bottom 6.

Middle eight would actually gain 5 matches. 18 + 14 = 32

I’m not selling this , by the way, just read it today.

League reverts to 2 divisions each year. Split occurs every year after 2 rounds of matches. Only 3 divisions for 2nd half of season.

This is the bit I don't understand. The Belgian league has 16 teams so 2 rounds of matches is 30 games. The league of Ireland would have played 18 games after 2 rounds.

In the Belgian league they go into a champions play off. Where the 6 of them play home and away for a league season of 40 games.

If the same thing happened in the League of Ireland the season would be 28 games. They'd be 4 home games worse off than they are now. The likes of Bohs would be down around €€75,000 from home games. Shams and Dundalk would be north of 100k .

Very rough maths but I reckon it would take
    north of at least 500k in gate money out of the league. TV deals and sponsorship would need to be at least that just for the clubs to be in the same financial position they are now. Only Shams and Cork have stadia with the capacity to take advantage of any bump in attendances in the Champions round. Bohs could probably have sold 7 or 8,000 tickets today but instead they couldn't even put one ticket on general sale.

That's before ever you wonder the point of Athlone v Galway playing for the 4th time in a season for a First Division plate? There used to be a first division plate between 12 teams. It was crap so they abolished it.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Would the 6 teams play each other home and away. 10 matches, together with the 18 earlier, so 28 matches?

Same for the bottom 6.

Middle eight would actually gain 5 matches. 18 + 14 = 32

I’m not selling this , by the way, just read it today.

Original post was full of errors so I reposted.

First round =18 matches (2X9)
    Champions round =10 matches (2X5)

If that's not right it's probably time for bed for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Do people genuinely believe that the format of the league is much of a difference maker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

CSF wrote: »
    Do people genuinely believe that the format of the league is much of a difference maker?

No it is far from the most important thing. Obviously if we were to merge and have an AIL then things would be very different, but the format of the league won't make a huge difference. The LOI needs investment and that is the bottom line, we need to be able to build facilities, market the league, have a stable income, offer longer term contracts, have full time staff who are responsible for the league. Having 8 or 10 or 12 teams won't make much of a difference, although I think the 8 team league is a particularly terrible idea.

Someone said a few pages up that he futures of the likes of Limerick, Waterford, Wexford are uncertain. That is probably correct, but it is ridiculous that these places struggle to sustain LoI teams. Take Waterford for example, city with 80k people, football mad down there, nice ground in accessible location, good facilities at the RSC and with the college, the area itself has a decent record for producing players. They should have a thriving team down there, as we have seen in the past 2 or 3 years when they are going well the get decent crowds and the public buys in, there was massive hype around them at the start of last season when they were flying.

I know Lee Power invested money into them, and arguably this is a risky game as we have seen in the past, but it should not be such a struggle for a place like this to have a sustainable club. There is just not enough prize money, TV money, grants etc given to clubs to make them thrive. That is the number 1 issue, maybe not a necessarily easy thing to solve, but while this is the case teams are having to put in huge efforts just to stay afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Plate for lowest 6 teams sounds a bit **** though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Season is over, I'm sure the off-season will be tame....

Plate for lowest 6 teams sounds a bit **** though

That was my thoughts too. But is it any different than say England ?

Oldham say get 4,000 at home Tottenham get 60,000.

Rovers get 5,000 Wexford get 500

Oldham play to survive, Tottenham play for trophies

Wexford play to survive, Rovers play for trophies.

Real competition in the middle division with effectively 4 promoted and 4 relegated (following season fixtures)

But yeah, the ‘3rd’ division sucks. (Especially with traveling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can't really see the attraction of the middle division for the premier teams who end up there.

But, as said above, I don't think the format is the problem, so I don't think any new format will do anything much to fix the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tottenham play for trophies

Now we know you’re just trolling!! :pac:

Tottenham play for trophies
    Rovers play for trophies.

I thought that was giveaway.:)

Presume it's been said before, but anything to be said for dividing into 4 regions, 5 teams in each, top 1 or 2 go on to some league of their own.

The obvious attraction is more derbies and less travelling. And that would be a plus for the, say, Cork, Cobh, Limerick, Waterford, a Kerry side group, or maybe Galway, Athlone, Sligo, Finn Harps and Derry.

Course, it might not solve any real problem and create a raft of others, it means a lot of teams lose the chance to play the bigger sides, and not sure how it would work out with European placings etc. I'll be honest, it's really just a 6am Sunday morning kids waking me up thing...

It would be a long way behind an AIL as the optimum choice for me, but I don't like the splitting leagues after a round or 2 of matches.

Season is over, I'm sure the off-season will be tame...

Read that somewhere in March or April when Rovers won the league. :)

It’s not quite over yet, despite what the same media say.

Dundalk still to play Bohs, Derry and Pats. Those matches could have a some bearing on the final league title.

Will be interesting to see who Vinny Perth signs in the off-season. Kenny always signed at least one (Benson, Hoare, Cleary, McGrath to name a few) to freshen up the squad.

I know he wasn’t interested in Daniel Lafferty, whether he would have signed or not. Looking for mad money by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lets not worry about who we might or might not be signing....

Tomorrows games is number one....we can let them have the 3 points and still win the league, nice position to be in. Some season from the team and management.....13 points behind to 12 points ahead...that a 25 point swing. Thats whats important...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

we need to sign players from europe if we are to go challenge in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

pgj2015 wrote: »

We can worry about that when the season is over and 1 or 2 more pieces of silverware are in the cupboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Read that somewhere in March or April when Rovers won the league. :)

It’s not quite over yet, despite what the same media say.

He's a a Limerick supporter. The season is literally over. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

pgj2015 wrote: »

I don’t think that’s strictly it. If Dundalk had first dibs on every player in the league they would be an obviously stronger proposition and pushing even further on those European group stage doors.

Thankfully that isn’t the case and other clubs in the league still have players who would start for Dundalk. It keeps the future of the league still potentially mildly interesting, while obviously making Dundalk less strong in Europe (and everyone else in the league who remain behind them) all at once

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

https://twitter.com/kevk37/status/1175729048741457920?s=09

Always rated Ellis but even I have to say he never really lit up even the first division, think this was his best season so far though. This shows the gap there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He's still young though, just turned 22 and think lots of people overhyped him or expected too much from him because of his goal scoring records at underage though this season he was starting to show good form with us.

But wouldn't blame him for dropping down to junior level for a few months. Has a job in Limerick and probably better paid at Balla than most LOI first division teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Agreed, Harps had Garbhan Friel on 2 occasions, absolutely banged in the goals in the USL, just could not score for us.
    Banda is also firing in the goals for Letterkenny now, but i think it was more a case of the committment needed for LOI than skill holding him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

joeysoap wrote:
    I know he wasn’t interested in Daniel Lafferty, whether he would have signed or not. Looking for mad money by all accounts.
    I presume that 'wasn't' is a typo? Dundalk were definitely interested in Lafferty.

I presume that 'wasn't' is a typo? Dundalk were definitely interested in Lafferty.

It's standard loi behaviour to insist that any player you were linked with that you don't end up signing wasn't actually a target while simultaneously somehow insisting that the club they did sign for are paying them a lot more that the offer your club put on the table (ignoring the obvious contradiction in this because why let facts get in the way of a good story)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What's the craic with Lafferty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Amazing what anonymous insiders like us know isn't it. I know the exact opposite, on both counts

Amazing what anonymous insiders like us know isn't it. I know the exact opposite, on both counts

I actually know he's paying rovers for the pleasure of playing in the famous green and white hoops

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I actually know he's paying rovers for the pleasure of playing in the famous green and white hoops

Fair play, that’s something he wasn’t willing to do for Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Fair play, that’s something he wasn’t willing to do for Dundalk.

The famous green and white hoops would have been an issue I suspect

Dan Lambert got a bit of praise on here recently about an interview he did. He was on greatest league in the world and was asked a direct question about child safeguarding in regards to Ferguson playing for them and completely dodged the question, wonder what Bohs actually did with regards to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Dan Lambert got a bit of praise on here recently about an interview he did. He was on greatest league in the world and was asked a direct question about child safeguarding in regards to Ferguson playing for them and completely dodged the question, wonder what Bohs actually did with regards to that.

Noticed that too. Basically answered a question he wasn't asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

https://twitter.com/kevk37/status/1175729048741457920?s=09

Always rated Ellis but even I have to say he never really lit up even the first division, think this was his best season so far though. This shows the gap there is.

In fairness it was Pallas who are 5 divisions bellow them. Hell I've been on a team that beat them!!

NIMAN wrote: »
    What's the craic with Lafferty?

He’s paying to play for Rovers.

Not grá ( or not enough) for Derry, then.

What was Shamrock Rovers official comment regarding Sinclair Armstrong’s safeguarding last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jesus Limerick were poor on Saturday, Brady done his best to keep the score down making some great saves but you can see the team is completely deflated and gone to the dogs! When are the 2020 fixtures out? :pac:
    Dylan McGlade mentioning on his socials about moving to Newcastle on Sunday. More than likely trialling with some non-league side like Gateshead.

He was there during pre-season this year too, probably has a mate or something over there he trains with.

Question would have been better answered by Colin Goggin or Graham Lawlor.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He’s paying to play for Rovers.

Not grá ( or not enough) for Derry, then.

I don't get this.

Apparently he was touting himself around the LOI and I heard he had asked for X amount per week.

It was too much for Derry. So he went elsewhere.

I don't get why he has to pay though? Surely if he offered to play for nothing, most clubs would offer him a run-out. So why does he have to pay?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement