Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rovers 1 down. Absolute screamer from Limassol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Some strike. Looks even better in the replay. Very important to stay in the game and not concede a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

What channel is match on?

Guffy wrote: »

Think it's just Cypriot TV, but there are streams available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

You can watch it on Bet365 by lodging €5 into your account. Just withdraw it then once the game is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

skorlive or Bet365 should have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

1-1 from a corner!

1-1, header from a corner. Rovers have started brightly, deserve that.

You can watch it on Bet365 by lodging €5 into your account. Just withdraw it then once the game is over.

Ya have it on 365, was hoping for english commentary cast to the tv.

The trick is to keep a cent in your account forever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Cracking game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Ya have it on 365, was hoping for english commentary cast to the tv.

The trick is to keep a cent in your account forever :D

How do you cast to the TV? I know how to cast mp4 files, but not videos on my browser.

How do you cast to the TV? I know how to cast mp4 files, but not videos on my browser.

From one of the live tv jobs. Actually what's the cypriot channel its on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

sonic85 wrote: »
    Where's Flores lads? Injured?

Yes. Injured.

Back to tonight

howiya wrote: »
    Tallaght.

I'd love to know why it's a disgrace. Rovers will probably get a higher attendance tonight and make more money than they would if the match was on rte/eir.

How much would they get from either of them for the rights? I think rovers will be better off that it's not on tv.

Rte want the matches for nothing, the fai colluded with them in this. I would guess a club in Europe would want €20k for rights,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Tallaght.

I'd love to know why it's a disgrace. Rovers will probably get a higher attendance tonight and make more money than they would if the match was on rte/eir.

How much would they get from either of them for the rights? I think rovers will be better off that it's not on tv.
    Because you can't fit every league of Ireland fan into Tallaght, nor can every League of Ireland get to Tallaght :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Rte want the matches for nothing, the fai colluded with them in this. I would guess a club in Europe would want €20k for rights,

From speaking to someone who worked in marketing in the FAI, I was told and have no reason to doubt this.....
    "the FAI were being paid for the LOI games all along and were hiding the money behind the international deal"

Brilliant, hope ta feck they can hold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brillant from Rovers.

Jack Byrne will have offers from some European clubs at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Apollen very poor defensively. Rovers good for the lead (the c*nts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cracking game so far.

Shame the majority of casual or neutral fans won't just happen upon on it on the telly and then get a goo on them to maybe see a game as a result. Brutal carry on.

• Advertisement

Should probably be a red for that. Definitely led with elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sugarman wrote: »
    Almost number 3. All from Byrnes deliveries.

They literally can't defend crosses/frees whatsoever. Some header, very unlucky.

Almost number 3. All from Byrnes deliveries.

That little jig he does before a set piece is obviously paramount to the success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That was a red card all day long

They are there for the taking. Rovers should be looking for another.

Rovers have been dynamite in the last 25 minutes. As well as I've seen them play. Very composed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

fitness levels in Dundalk & Rovers games have made a difference.

Both finishing the game much stronger than the opposition

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Rovers allowed 3 unchallenged crosses into the box there. You would think this side were a man down.

Edit: They are now!

Shocking attempt at a tackle.

Rovers have them on the ropes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Appoel down to 10, should be 9 at this rate. They're dirty ****s.

Should be pushing for the third now.
    Only seen the last 20 minutes... Appoel are proper dirty

Tallaght Stadium looks class on the telly.... well this dodgy stream I'm watching....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sticking a fiver on Limassol hiring Keith Long this week. Surely the only man who can save their European campaign?

Great result.

Great result for Rovers there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well done Rovers. Great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Good result for Rovers be some session over there next week! Away goal is a killer and the heat will play a big factor!

Well done Rovers. Same again next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Not everyone lives in Dublin, let alone South Dublin.

Televised matches dont really effect attendances. Fans of the team will always be there, your casuals or mutual supports wont.

The prize money in the competition includes television rights in the deal. They wouldn't earn any money directly from the broadcaster no mater who is covering it.

Its disgraceful because theres 2 really good teams in the country competing in Europe at the moment and they continue to ignore it. Its a great advertisement of the league and football in this country in general. They're 20mins drive away from the venue. If a broadcaster from Cyprus can make the trip to cover their countries team play, surely RTE can.

They also pissed away millions on the womens World Cup just gone that Ireland werent even in and it was an incredibly poor standard that brought few viewers.

Its also better and probably cheaper than "the big bang theory" and "Ireland fittest families" repeats theyre showing in its time slot tonight.

So hang on, rte or eir who don't pay anything into the Europa league prize fund would be able to show tonight's game without paying for it? As far as I'm aware the centralised to deals don't kick in until later rounds.

I've seen the women's World Cup mentioned on the thread a few times. Amazing how people think RTE should show an LOI game instead of the World Cup. The clue is in the name.

And no broadcasting something live is not cheaper than showing a rerun of something you already hold the rights for.

joeysoap wrote: »

That's my whole point. Clubs shouldn't be giving away free content.

• Advertisement

Great result for rovers. Fair play

I've seen the women's World Cup mentioned on the thread a few times. Amazing how people think RTE should show an LOI game instead of the World Cup. The clue is in the name.

So RTE should show anything that has World Cup in the name? Men's Club World Cup, Women's Club World Cup, Amputee World Cup, Under 14s World Cup.

So no, the name of a competition alone isn't a good enough reason to show it. Cost and public interest are far more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pity rovers didn’t get a third but would have taken 2-1 after being behind so early . All to play for in Cyprus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wherever Byrne holidayed during the mid-season break, he should be sent there more often.

Super since the break. Thankfully Rovers can't play Bohs in Europe.

Amirani wrote: »
    So RTE should show anything that has World Cup in the name? Men's Club World Cup, Women's Club World Cup, Amputee World Cup, Under 14s World Cup.

So no, the name of a competition alone isn't a good enough reason to show it. Cost and public interest are far more important.

Fair point but if RTE are to base their decision on public interest there'd be even less LOI on TV than there is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

As far as I'm aware, qualifying rights are sold on a game by game basis by UEFA. The broadcaster pays UEFA and the participating clubs receive a fee as part of their prize money regardless if the game has been picked up or not.

Would have no problem with the womens World Cup if we were participating, but we werent ...and it cost €7m in rights ...and attracted low viewing figures ..lower than some LOI games. As pointed out, the most watched match had a lower viewing figure than the FAI Cup final.

..and while reruns themselves cost nothing, it is forecast and predicted as part of the initial deal TV deal when the rights are picked up. Like everything, no doubt RTE paid over the odds.

I think it's down to the individual clubs to sell the rights. What generally happens though with LOI sides is a broadcaster from the other teams nation buys the rights and actually does all the production work then if an Irish broadcaster wants in they pay them to use the feed, stick the commentators in a room in rte headquarters and do commentary from there.

Either way the rights for this game were bought and rte were too cheap to pay the normally nominal fee to use the feed if even that. Shocking from the state broadcaster.

On a brighter note, I ****ing love my club, what a game, what a night in general!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Couldn't get a stream to work so missed out on that game but fair play to Rovers great result!

sonic85 wrote: »
    Couldn't get a stream to work so missed out on that game but fair play to Rovers great result!

Go on rovers twitter and Instagram and you'll see some of the best bits by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I hope when Byrne leaves that he doesn't go back to England.

By all accounts he did very well in Holland so I'd like to see him go back there or try one of the top leagues in Portugal or France maybe. Somewhere technical where his talent can flourish and won't be swallowed up by a kicking match every 3 or 4 days in the championship.

Could only be good for the national team too , hel surely be in the next squad ?

tastyt wrote: »
    I hope when Byrne leaves that he doesn't go back to England.

By all accounts he did very well in Holland so I'd like to see him go back there or try one of the top leagues in Portugal or France maybe. Somewhere technical where his talent can flourish and won't be swallowed up by a kicking match every 3 or 4 days in the championship.

Could only be good for the national team too , hel surely be in the next squad ?

I'd love to see him at one of the better Dutch clubs. No real language barrier, suits his play. We should really look at what they have there and try do something similar here.

The Cypriot clubs get millions in tv money so not really surprised their broadcaster had the match tonight. There is obviously a mindset in RTE that think you don’t pay for matches involving LOI clubs. Changing that mindset won’t be easy.

I think until the playoffs for the group stages it’s as D14 posted, the rights belong to the home club. From the playoffs on ( when Uefa get on board) the rights are pooled and there’s a complicated system of payments. It’s good for Irish clubs though. ( if they get that far) as the TV money is serious at that stage.

There is also payments to all league clubs at some stage but it excludes any club that receives money by way of qualification. I think in 2016 if Dundalk had qualified from the group stage the other 8 premier league clubs would have received money. Chances of that ever happening are zero though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement