Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld LOI 2019 pt 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

wadacrack wrote: »
    Very poor decision, could have delayed KO to 5pm os so or even play it tomorrow.

. Big gusts here an hour ago. Easing now but you make the call early for everyone’s

sake.https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Dundalk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers drew 1-1 with Dundalk in Oriel in the FD in 2006 on the night of a storm with a floodlight failure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Any idea when this will be rescheduled for or if it will?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

dfx- wrote: »
    Rovers drew 1-1 with Dundalk in Oriel in the FD in 2006 on the night of a storm with a floodlight failure...

I remember it well.

All over Rovers until the lights went out. Rovers got a equalizer and went on to win the 1st division.
    Dundalk came 2nd, went to beat Waterford in the playoff but Waterford got staying up. Galway in 3rd got promoted ( Dublin City dropped out)and Dundalk were left in the 1st division for another year.

The Fai were as crooked in those days as they were last year. ( I know about the FAIs criteria). No wonder the league was treated as a joke by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Any news on the licence front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Any news on the licence front?

Think saw that appeals are due to be finalised by tomorrow.

It is that time of year again....

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Pats
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Shels
    Derry
    Cork
    Harps
    Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Pats
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Shels
    Derry
    Cork
    Harps
    Waterford

Swap Derry with Sligo and maybe Bohs and Pat's. I'd take 6th for Shels right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭bot43

If CCFC finish 8th its a good season for us, but alas, I do not see any team worse than us

Dundalk
    Shamrock
    SPA
    Derry
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Waterford
    Harps
    Shells
    CCFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bohs
    Pats
    Sligo
    Derry
    Cork
    Shels
    Waterford
    Harps

Waterford with the first asterisk...

• Advertisement

I don't know who've they replaced them with but Derry have lost McNamee, Junior and Parkhouse, that's a few big losses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not getting the love for Pats either, lot of changes, brand new manager, could be anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bohs
    Pats
    Derry
    Sligo
    Shels
    Waterford
    Finn Harps
    Cork

I think there will be a clear top 2, 3 gunning for Europe and then the bottom half will be tighter than normal. Hard to call who will get relegated but I would be really concerned if I was a Cork City fan, such a young and inexperienced team with a lot of unknowns I think Finn Harps and Ollie Horgan's battle hardness could see them pip Cork at the bottom. Waterford could be dire altogether but they have made some decent signings and if they can be okay off the pitch then I think they will stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Pats
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Shels
    Derry
    Cork
    Harps
    Waterford

I'd be delighted with 5th, a decent push for Europe and a cup run.
    I think we've a weaker squad than last year.
    We haven't replaced Parkes or Twardek.
    The likes of Devers being in contention worries me. That and the optimism around Murray who's spent the last 2 seasons bench warming to suddenly start scoring goals.
    There's nothing in our squad that should frighten Harps or any of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Every year Waterford get written off, Cork's squad looks much weaker at the moment I think. And Rennie is far more proven than Neale Fenn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Every year Waterford get written off, Cork's squad looks much weaker at the moment I think. And Rennie is far more proven than Neale Fenn.

I think we'll start really well, but the small squad will catch up and fade away in the latter stages. Comfortable just below mid-table finish for Waterford imo

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭irishmanmick

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bohs
    Derry
    Pats
    Shels
    Sligo
    Harps
    Cork
    Waterford

I think the top 3 will be the same, but Bohs will be closer to Rovers & Rovers closer to Dundalk.

Bohs have added some quality & squad depth. Think Kris Twardek will prove an excellent signing.

Rovers have given themsleves a different dimension with Farrugia, often too narrow last year, who should have bedded in by now. Managed to keep hold off their key men also.

Dundalk have lost a couple of quality players and it will depend on how the new signings get on, these players are a bit of an unknown. But such was their victory magrin last year, that I think they'll still win it, even if it is closer.

After that I think there will be a gap. Derry have lost a huge chunk of their goals and not sure if they have the replacements. Same problem with Pats, not sure where their goals will come from.

Shels will do okay this year, a year of stablisation for them. Sligo lost some key players as well, but are such a well run club that they should be comforatable enough.

I think the relegation battle will be between Harps, Cork & Waterford. I think Harps experience here, as well as some decent signings, most notably Barry McNamee, will see them through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dundalk
    Shamrock R
    Derry
    Cork
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Pat's
    Shels
    Harps
    Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dundalk
    Rovers
    Bohs
    Sligo
    Derry
    Pats
    Shels
    Cork
    Waterford
    Harps

Opened a predictions thread for this stuff
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058053417/1/#post112517425

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Graham Burke is 16s to be LOI top scorer. Is he gone off the boil or something? Seems big?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Graham Burke is 16s to be LOI top scorer. Is he gone off the boil or something? Seems big?

Not an out and out striker, will probably play him off the wing or behind Greene

Not an out and out striker, will probably play him off the wing or behind Greene

Still seems large to me given he’s had a stellar season before. Maybe not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't know who've they replaced them with but Derry have lost McNamee, Junior and Parkhouse, that's a few big losses..

Up front we've brought in a Norwegian striker, Tim Nilsen, ex-Waterford forward Walter Figueira and, just announced, Reading U23 Adam Liddle on a 6 month loan.

Conor McCormack and Colm Horgan have signed too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Due to go back to Preston in the summer?

Due to go back to Preston in the summer?

Really? Doubt it

Edit- Sorry, he is on loan. That’s might be the explanation

Really? Doubt it

it was a 12 month loan last July as his missus had come back here and was preganant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Bohemians....the wholesome paragons of virtue...announce a partnership with amnesty.Maybe amnesty will sponsor a cage to keep their supporters of the pitch this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

............Yeah,I know throw one in for us while theyre at it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Reckon Bohs won't be allowed to wear that jersey? UEFA/FAI and what could be interpreted as a political message (without knowing the rules) I am sure is not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Would there be a precedent there with Barca having Unicef on their shirts?

Or is it another 'shirt that helps image but can't be worn' effort from Bohs?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wouldn't be like us to produce a jersey we can't actually use :rolleyes:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

damemcd wrote: »
    Bohemians....the wholesome paragons of virtue...announce a partnership with amnesty.Maybe amnesty will sponsor a cage to keep their supporters of the pitch this year.

People in glass houses and all that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A couple of Bohs fans I work with aren't happy with this and aren't happy with your man Lambert and his constant attention seeking/virtue signalling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

dan1895 wrote: »
    A couple of Bohs fans I work with aren't happy with this and aren't happy with your man Lambert and his constant attention seeking/virtue signalling.

Are they happy with the club making national news and selling out every week?

I always roll my eyes myself but as a marketing exercise it works.

• Advertisement

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Reckon Bohs won't be allowed to wear that jersey? UEFA/FAI and what could be interpreted as a political message (without knowing the rules) I am sure is not allowed?

They would be allowed wear it in the national league certainly, possibly in Europe. FAI won't notice either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He was the one i noticed last night myself, Def worth an EW bet if he stays the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like the shirt personally. Been plenty of vile and 'it's not racist' racism from certain parts of society in the election and before, some got in, some didn't, so what's so controversial about a relatively short, friendly message on a shirt?

Hope it doesn't run into problems with UEFA/FIFA's 'political' rules, that they make up as they go along anyway.

He was the one i noticed last night myself, Def worth an EW bet if he stays the whole season.

You’d need clarification on this loan deal. Not much fun if he’s banging them in and heads back to Preston in July.

You’d need clarification on this loan deal. Not much fun if he’s banging them in and heads back to Preston in July.

12 Month Loan Deal

• Advertisement

More clarity needed for a bet.

Burkes not going back to Preston. Fairly sure his deal is up there in the summer and that's why he was farmed him out on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Fair play to Bohs. Providing they haven't infringed on the Refugees Welcome image rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Part of me thinks the Bohs jersey is genius, so much talk around it today and I'd say it will sell very well to people who would never even consider buying a Bohs jersey. Might even end up getting a few people to come to games. Your man Lambert seems to have made the most of the whole left wing political bridge being trendy on social media and they are eating this stuff up.

On the other hand I think it's a bit gimmicky and they are doing it just to get their bellies rubbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Waiting for Rovers to announce their 'Direct Provision' away shirt tomorrow !

It's harmless enough I suppose, good for Bohs if they manage to increase shirts sales or get a few more fans because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Staggering that people can see such a serious issue as good marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What will happen is that Bohs will announce their "intention". FAI/UEFA will say not allowed, following a big fuss about how the Evil Football Administrators stopped Boys from wearing it. Bohs will kick off, Amnesty will kick off, NGOs will kick off, lots of publicity etc.

One thing that needs to be remembered by football fans in the long term future is that the LOI was apolitical until Bohs decided to bring politics into Irish football. Even the likes of Derry were able to avoid getting political at football matches. Bohs took it upon themselves to swing a motionless pendulum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What will happen is that Bohs will announce their "intention". FAI/UEFA will say not allowed, following a big fuss about how the Evil Football Administrators stopped Boys from wearing it. Bohs will kick off, Amnesty will kick off, NGOs will kick off, lots of publicity etc.

One thing that needs to be remembered by football fans in the long term future is that the LOI was apolitical until Bohs decided to bringy politics into Irish football. Even the likes of Derry were able to avoid getting political at football matches. Bohs took it upon themselves to swing a motionless pendulum.

A pendulum is entirely useless without motion though.

Cynicism always follows these things. There's almost no charitable/humanitarian group occurrence that doesn't have some form, in varying degrees, of marketing in it. In my opinion it brings along an important message with it. Politics is always in football, just because it's not written on the front of shirts so people can complain doesn't mean it hasn't been there. One of the most talked about people in Irish football in the past 6 months has been the Sports Minister after all. People pick and choose the politics they want to be enraged about and have the usual, tiresome 'woke, snowflakes' etc etc yawn stuff in reply to what they don't agree with.

Saying that I hope there is at least some form of link up, awareness campaign, charitable action etc in addition to the jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I didn’t see any mention of them donating sales to the charity in question though. Did I miss that or are they not even doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any Cork fans shed any light on how busy it will be around Turners Cross on Friday with Munster playing a stones throw away also?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement