Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerts being ruined by mobile phones and people not participating

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

I have the opposite view, it angers me that people stick their nose in my business given that I paid for the ticket, I am a misanthropist so people annoy me all the time but I don't say anything to them, I don't have a problem that people dislike recording on phones but you shouldn't cross the line and actually say something to them, I recently was at a soccer game and a couple of people actually shouted at me for recording a 2 minute video on my phone, if I paid for the expensive ticket I can do whatever I want, I really have a deep resentment for humans, I can't express that enough.

You sound like a barrel of f@@kin laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I have the opposite view, it angers me that people stick their nose in my business given that I paid for the ticket, I am a misanthropist so people annoy me all the time but I don't say anything to them, I don't have a problem that people dislike recording on phones but you shouldn't cross the line and actually say something to them, I recently was at a soccer game and a couple of people actually shouted at me for recording a 2 minute video on my phone, if I paid for the expensive ticket I can do whatever I want, I really have a deep resentment for humans, I can't express that enough.

2 min grand, also phone is small... but people that hold a large tablet up over their head for long periods, blocking peoples view behind is plain ignorant and i will let them know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

But why not actually turn off the camera and watch the concert throught your eyes. It looks better and enjoy it

What's the point in enjoying a gig unless you can let other people on the internet know you are enjoying the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I recently watched The Killers gig from the Royal Albert Hall from 2009. Only a small number of people in audience had a small video camera or a camera fone. The atmosphere and audience participation was amazing as a result. It really was a fantastic gig, the combination of a brilliant live band with wonderful songs, and the perfect indoor venue packed with fans who were focused on enjoying the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,957 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So if I stood in front of you at an event, with a 10 inch tablet on full brightness, recording the whole thing - you wouldn't say a word to me because 'I paid for a ticket?'

Maybe if you told people they're annoying you rather than bottling it all up you wouldn't have need to be such a misanthropist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

o1s1n wrote: »
    So if I stood in front of you at an event, with a 10 inch tablet on full brightness, recording the whole thing - you wouldn't say a word to me because 'I paid for a ticket?'

Maybe if you told people they're annoying you rather than bottling it all up you wouldn't have need to be such a misanthropist.

Look, you idiot!!!!! Didn't you read his post? He hates you... And all idiots by which I mean people.... Jesus....

If you did that then you are an idiot a**hole and one of the reasons he hates people. They/we are stupid, ignorant morons with no respect for their betters.

If he does it it's because he bought a ticket and why shouldn't he? It is NOT ignorant for him to do it because he hates everybody and they deserve no better. So that make him, and his actions correct.

Come on man. Get your sh*t together..........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wally1990 wrote: »
    As I watch the older concerts the crowds tend to be more involved (jumping /moshing/singing etc) v the modern crowd and the concerts seems much better from a crowd aspect
    Mosh pits & circle pits are banned in a few locations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I only ever record one or two excerpts, I do watch most of the concert with my eyes, I like to emphasise maybe one or two tracks or the atmosphere for my blog review. Nothing wrong with that and I take care not to disturb others enjoyment.

Exactly. I would never go to a gig and spend the whole time recording it, nor would I give out to someone else because they were recording it at the time I happened to see them.

Anyone who is annoyed by the people beside them can try to move. At the same time, being self aware enough not to get in other people's way is also important. If it is too packed or everyone in the crowd is annoying them, maybe it is not the other people that are the problem.

On balance, I find the people who give out to other people for recording a bit of a song to be more annoying than the people who record something. For all you know, they could have a sick or disabled relative who really wanted to go to the gig but couldn't, and that relative wanted to see a clip of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For all you know, they could have a sick or disabled relative who really wanted to go to the gig but couldn't, and that relative wanted to see a clip of the band.
    They should still not be blocking peoples view, you can hold a phone to your neck and get a good shot and annoy nobody, your neck blocking the light from the phone. There will also likely be loads of videos the person could see posted on youtube later on, facebook is also a good place to check as many will not post up on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rubadub wrote: »
    They should still not be blocking peoples view, you can hold a phone to your neck and get a good shot and annoy nobody, your neck blocking the light from the phone.

As I said:
    At the same time, being self aware enough not to get in other people's way is also important.
    rubadub wrote:
    There will also likely be loads of videos the person could see posted on youtube later on, facebook is also a good place to check as many will not post up on youtube.

People are emotional creatures, and might want to see/hear a clip that their friend/relative took at the gig rather than just looking up the videos on youtube.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enough of the name calling. /Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

absolutely hate when people do this for prolonged periods.

At Iggy Pop at All Tomorrow's Parties in Iceland there was about 30 people doing this right up the front in the centre while Iggy was prancing around.. I decided to follow Iggy and helicoptered right into the middle of them. What could they say, 'hey, don't be moshing in the pit? Don't knock my phone out of my hand?'

Perfect opportunity to legitimately feck phones all over the place..

It was an ar$ehole thing to do of course... but I've no regrets...

Wouldn't get away with that at a tamer performance though unfortunately...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's annoying, yet I've done it in the past. Wouldn't be quick to do it anymore.

At the recent manics gig some women kept taking her phone out, but only really for the singles.

They played an old song live for the first time ever and some other rarely heard songs. She didn't bother with them. They'd be the things I'd have said alright, if you must

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »

It was an ar$ehole thing to do of course... but I've no regrets...

Wouldn't get away with that at a tamer performance though unfortunately...

I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say in general I would rather share a room with a temporary phone wielder than those who condone criminal activity.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    They played an old song live for the first time ever and some other rarely heard songs. She didn't bother with them. They'd be the things I'd have said alright, if you must
    Yeah it's up to you what an absolute stranger opts to record or not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say in general I would rather share a room with a temporary phone wielder than those who condone criminal activity.

Agh sorry I was just doing what people have done at gigs for the last near 40 years.. this phone wielding thing.. well, how does that have a place at a gig? How many whip out the phone at the cinema or in the theatre

I wouldn’t do it again for sure but cmon - live in the moment and not in your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Doesn't bother when people either turn the brightness down or don't raise the phone high over their heads (as in, if the person recording considers others). Or if they take a short video or a few pictures. People taking selfies every 2 minutes and chatting are the worst kind of gig-goer, and if I end up behind them I try to move somewhere else.

I wouldn't mind a phone/camera ban at gigs, but on the other hand I do watch youtube videos of gigs, so I don't want to be a complete hypocrite about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You wouldn't be speaking for me. No need to try to be dramatic on the criminal activity. Bumping into someone in a mosh pit will hardly bring down the Gardai on you. Bonus points if the moshing knocks the camera/phone from their grasp. I do it as much as I can if the picture taking/videoing/selfies annoy me.

You wouldn't be speaking for me. No need to try to be dramatic on the criminal activity. Bumping into someone in a mosh pit will hardly bring down the Gardai on you. Bonus points if the moshing knocks the camera/phone from their grasp. I do it as much as I can if the picture taking/videoing/selfies annoy me.

I wasn't speaking on behalf of everybody maybe I am in the minority :confused:

I'm being dramatic on criminal activity? How would you like it if you had your property "accidentally" damaged. No it's hardly gonna bring the guards in but either is the likes of crowdsurfers being inappropriately touched and you're a d1ck if you pursue that kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I wasn't speaking on behalf of everybody maybe I am in the minority :confused:

I'm being dramatic on criminal activity? How would you like it if you had your property "accidentally" damaged. No it's hardly gonna bring the guards in but either is the likes of crowdsurfers being inappropriately touched and you're a d1ck if you pursue that kind of behaviour.

Wow, this particular point has gone off on a tangent. Maybe it’s the person who is holding the phone/camera up in the air, blocking the view and enjoyment for other people who is being the dlck. Maybe it’s the crowdsurfer who’s size 10 clogs are whacking people in the head as they expect to be carried along by a crowd of strangers, who is the dlck.
    I’m not a legal expert, but I’m pretty sure that a Judge would laugh at you if you brought a case before him complaining that your phone was knocked out of your hand at a gig.
    But if you were in front of the same Judge declaring that you inappropriately touched someone, I don’t think he would be smiling. Your comparisons are way of the mark. And slightly disturbing that such a thought would just randomly come into your head.
    That being said, depending on who is doing the touching, I wouldn’t have complaints if someone gave me a little grope.

• Advertisement

Wow, this particular point has gone off on a tangent. Maybe it’s the person who is holding the phone/camera up in the air, blocking the view and enjoyment for other people who is being the dlck. Maybe it’s the crowdsurfer who’s size 10 clogs are whacking people in the head as they expect to be carried along by a crowd of strangers, who is the dlck.
    I’m not a legal expert, but I’m pretty sure that a Judge would laugh at you if you brought a case before him complaining that your phone was knocked out of your hand at a gig.
    But if you were in front of the same Judge declaring that you inappropriately touched someone, I don’t think he would be smiling. Your comparisons are way of the mark. And slightly disturbing that such a thought would just randomly come into your head.
    That being said, depending on who is doing the touching, I wouldn’t have complaints if someone gave me a little grope.

Yeah it's clear someone with no regard for others excessively blocking views is likely a d1ck think that's been covered but your solution of being a vile piece of sh1t to counter that is no solution, involving yourself with a randomer I mean you don't know their story could have a mental disability for all you know even so bonus points for a smashed phone it seems, well done you. :rolleyes:

No fan of crowdsurfers myself but it's a likely occurrence at gigs too and a bug bearer for many others at shows too so I don't think my comparison is way off the mark, It's hardly disturbing I've witnessed something I prefer I didn't see occur again and talk about it rather than ignore it. There's been multiple reports of such on goings google could be your friend here but judging by your final words it isn't something you wish to take seriously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Yeah it's clear someone with no regard for others excessively blocking views is likely a d1ck think that's been covered but your solution of being a vile piece of sh1t to counter that is no solution, involving yourself with a randomer I mean you don't know their story could have a mental disability for all you know even so bonus points for a smashed phone it seems, well done you. :rolleyes:

No fan of crowdsurfers myself but it's a likely occurrence at gigs too and a bug bearer for many others at shows too so I don't think my comparison is way off the mark, It's hardly disturbing I've witnessed something I prefer I didn't see occur again and talk about it rather than ignore it. There's been multiple reports of such on goings google could be your friend here but judging by your final words it isn't something you wish to take seriously anyway.

I've been going to gigs for 30+ years.
    I hate the recording/alcohol overindulgence associated with gigs.
    But somehow tolerate it as I love my music.

Of late, I've been to gigs where an announcement has been made to NOT use camera phones etc...
    At Peter Cetera in Vicar St, they asked for people to not use cameras/phones during main performance, and that they could do so during encore- worked perfectly.

At BelleX1 in Feb, front row seats, guy beside me started recording from 1st song.
    Despite the announcement for no recording.
    I politely asked him not to, and he lowered the phone mere cms, before raising it again.
    I asked again and same story.
    Now I did feel there were special needs/mental health issues at play.
    But he recorded the entire first half.
    And I switched off as best I could as it was a fantastic gig.

After the interval, he resumed the same behaviour and a member of staff came over and told him to put it away.
    And as before, he waited briefly before resuming his view of the stage through a lens.

Likewise at Stevie Wonder recently, a woman beside me doing this 360° recording, repeatedly, jeez but it looks plain daft to me.

Contrary to popular belief for those of us who dislike such activities, I enjoy a few drinks too, but drinks and gigs for me don't work, as I don't pay >€70 for a 2 hour performance to waste time queueing for bathrooms and bars- couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Honestly I hear complaints like this constantly on this forum about people filming gigs but I honestly hardly ever see it. I don’t think it’s as big as a problem as people here seem to think, Maybe I’m just getting lucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've rarely seen someone filming an entire gig, but phones blocking your view that's all the time.

Arghus wrote: »
    I've rarely seen someone filming an entire gig, but phones blocking your view that's all the time.

Possibly I’m usually towards the front so maybe that’s why it’s less of a problem for myself, also the gigs I’m at people would have a tendency to move around a lot so maybe that’s why I wouldn’t see phones as much. Maybe it’s more prevalent in certain genres of music and less so I’m others. Although I suspect age profile of the fan base may be a bigger factory in how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Not a gig but I visited Powerscourt gardens recently and the place was swarming with people with the vast majority of them walking around viewing the experience through a camera phone. Hundreds and hundreds of them like zombies out of the walking dead photographing every leaf in sight for Instagram and Snapchat. It was bizarre.

Cazale wrote: »
    Not a gig but I visited Powerscourt gardens recently and the place was swarming with people with the vast majority of them walking around viewing the experience through a camera phone. Hundreds and hundreds of them like zombies out of the walking dead photographing every leaf in sight for Instagram and Snapchat. It was bizarre.

Yeah with Wicklow I’d always tend to avoid the likes of powerscourt of Glendalough it’s full of people looking for Instagram spots but the Wicklow mountains overall are fantastic plenty of hidden gems scattered around. The Wicklow way is a good base to work from, I’ve been doing it in stages over the summer when I’ve free time and it’s a fantastic amenity to have so close to Dublin.

Advertisement