Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought the wrong tickets in error

Options
  • 20-07-2019 2:09pm

So I've been looking for tickets for this festival called All Together Now (ATN). They've been sold out for a while. I came across an ad on Instagram that said some were on sale. I jumped at the opportunity. I thought they released another batch of them and wanted to grab some before they sold out again. I got one for a friend too. Transaction complete. Two camping tickets. Happy days.

Then it dawned upon me I bought tickets to Another Love Story (ALS). I feel like a complete idiot but yeah, I dropped 400 quid on the wrong festival.

My question is: can I get some kind of full refund as a result of buying these tickets in error? I was under the impression I was buying something entirely different. I got the names and acronyms mixed up. They are claiming they don't do refunds but I'm convinced there must be a way. Is there some kind of law or regulation that permits a refund in cases of mistakenly buying the wrong goods? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no cooling off period for event tickets. You'll need to see if you can sell them on basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Refunds are covered under legislation in cases of the product being defective or not fit for purpose or not as advertised. And even then the legislation allows for repair or replacement before a refund. All other refunds are goodwill based only. Change of mind refunds are so common that people think they are a legal requirement.

Unfortunately your tickets would be classed as sold as seen, the seller did not mislead or sell the wrong product so you are relying entirely on their goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Put them on ticketswap, you might have to discount them to sell, but better a 20% hit than a complete loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They’ve told you there’s no refunds so all you can do is take your case to the proper authorities.
    The change of mind 14 day cooling off period doesn’t apply to festival tickets.
    Contact this body.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/your-rights-online/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ylECXmpfKZ_WvNam_bA802vaEEB599OCo59ZIya0UHlrJ3YSm3-aARoC42gQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

splinter65 wrote: »
    They’ve told you there’s no refunds so all you can do is take your case to the proper authorities.
    Contact this body.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-online/your-rights-online/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ylECXmpfKZ_WvNam_bA802vaEEB599OCo59ZIya0UHlrJ3YSm3-aARoC42gQAvD_BwE

I'm struggling to figure out the point of your post. You said the OP should contact the 'proper authorities' but you then point out (correctly) that he or she has no basis for redress based on a cooling off period i.e. change of mind.

What do you suggest the OP should say to the Consumer Protection Commission? Are you holding out false hope here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

splinter65 wrote: »
    Contact this body.

The op would only be wasting their time and CCPCs time by contacting them, it makes no sense why you suggested this.???

The ops option s are limited, either sell on or take the hit. There's no liability on the event to give any refund by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Did the advertisement mention the festival you were actually interested in? If so you have a case due to false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did you buy on Ticketmaster? They allow a change of mind up to 24 hours after purchase as long as the event is more than two weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately, you have no legal right to a refund. The mistake was yours.

You could plead for goodwill or sell the tickets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm struggling to figure out the point of your post. You said the OP should contact the 'proper authorities' but you then point out (correctly) that he or she has no basis for redress based on a cooling off period i.e. change of mind.

What do you suggest the OP should say to the Consumer Protection Commission? Are you holding out false hope here?

Sorry so late coming back to this thread. I refer him to the CPC because it helps sometimes to be told by officialdom that you don’t have any options. That’s all.

• Advertisement

Did the advertisement mention the festival you were actually interested in? If so you have a case due to false advertising.

No its a simple case of me being a completer dope.

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I just have to sell them on.

Also while I have you, I'm selling two tickets to Another Love Story if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Maybe go the festival. It might be good

I never even heard of it. It might be hard to resell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sell them on toutless - you might even get ATN tickets there too

https://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?t=34127

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

No its a simple case of me being a completer dope.

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I just have to sell them on.

Also while I have you, I'm selling two tickets to Another Love Story if anyone is interested.

You could try keeping an eye on Consumer Issues for someone who's done the reverse?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MOH wrote: »
    You could try keeping an eye on Consumer Issues for someone who's done the reverse?

Or buy a ticket in the Lotto :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

coylemj wrote: »
    Or buy a ticket in the Lotto :rolleyes:

Whoosh

Festival just sold out :)

Advertisement