Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you describe the way you want your fringe cut?

Options
  • 20-07-2019 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

Most barbers seem to cut a boring straight line. I think it looks horrible!

I seem to see some barbers turn the scissors at an angle in order to make sure that every hair is not the exact same length. It gives a sort of more natural look. That's the only way I know how to describe it. But when I say "could you give the fringe a natural look?" the barbers just nod as if they know what I mean and then do the boring straight line fringe anyway. When they're foreign you're never really certain if they understand you. Wouldn't it just be easy to use a trimmer scissors to create this effect? I never seem to see that being done though. Also, they're nothing more annoying than when the barber cuts too far in at the corners of the fringe, creating too extreme an arc.

Rather than risking all this, what I do is I ask them to cut the fringe a little bit longer than what I'd want it, and then I sort it out myself at home. I always feel that I shouldn't have to do this, that I should be able to get the barber to do what I want. I only ever feel comfortable enough to ask for what I actually want with a native cutting my hair. Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me?

I've given barbers the benefit of the doubt before and have regretted it. Think of how awkward it would be to have to shout "stop" when it looks like they're about to do wrong, when you know full well that you mightn't even be quite able to properly describe what it is that you want anyway. Or are you going to say "you've done that wrong" just after they've made the mistake.

I tried correcting someone before and it was such an awkward experience with the dude for the rest of the duration of the hair cut. From there on anytime I'd ask a question he would get defensive. At the end then I asked to see the back of my hair with the mirror, he sarcastically answered "just give me a moment" as if to imply that I was being impatient. It's very difficult to win an argument with someone when they're standing over you cutting your hair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Bring a photo of the style you'd like? Might be an easier way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Bring a photo of the style you'd like? Might be an easier way
    Yeah, because that's what everybody else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yeah, because that's what everybody else does.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but yes, it's a commonly known practice to show a photo as a visual aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Maybe ask for a "choppy" fringe "rather than just straight."

Also, as above, showing a photo is really normal and effective so you could try that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When I get my son's hair cut I ask for the fringe to be feathered.

And yes I agree with the photo thing- I have shown photos to the hairdressers tonnes of times. I also brought a photo of my son's last haircut to the hairdressers as it was lovely and I wanted the same again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

When I get my son's hair cut I ask for the fringe to be feathered.
    Was the person foreign, and did you feel they'd know what feathered would mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

The terms feathered, choppy, layered etc are pretty common and even technically correct in the industry so anyone working as a hairdresser or barber in an English speaking country should have no bother understanding them, regardless of nationality. Coupled with the photo you should have no bother. Best of luck!

Advertisement