Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20th of July Boxing (Thurman v Pacquiao & Whyte v Rivas)

• 20-07-2019 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

First good night of boxing in a long time. The Thurman v Pacquiao card is superb.

Think Whyte might have a few issues but come out with the win. Might need friendly cards. Rivas is solid imo.

Slightly favouring Thurman tonight but there's so many unknowns with both I couldn't possibly pick a winner with any conviction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was a brutal KO by Chisora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I'm so ashamed of how excited I am for Allen/Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Filthy from Chisora there, I was thinking that was gonna be an interesting match but he put that one to bed.

I'd be leaning towards Whyte and Thurman winning later, might have a nibble on Thurman because he is a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I think Price is boxing really well to be fair. Nice jab goin and landing some nice uppercuts. Hopefully his stamina holds up and he can get a win for himself.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Fair play to Price - a top man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Delighted for Price. Not that I hate David Allen, but for Price to keep coming back after those knockouts shows real courage. Particularly knowing that he is always within a hare's breath of being viciously knocked out with that chin of his. To go in there knowing that he has such a huge vulnerability and still accept the call is hugely admirable.

Bellew has chunked up a fair bit.

Well there's a small part of my life I'll never get back. Bizarre from start to finish.

Not a great fight to watch but Price boxed to his strengths and used his frame well. Made up for him tbh, I've no opinion on Allen one way or the other, but I can't help but root for Price.

Big big risk for Dillian Whyte. You have to admire his b@lls for taking the fight, I think anybody else would have sat it out and waited out for the title shot. Hope he wins and gets the fight against Povetkin.

F**k sake, the spanish inquisition of Dillian Whyte and him trying to get ready for the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This is chronic, get on with the boxing

Whyte very tentative here. And rightly so. This guy is a serious dude, really throwing here in the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Whyte looking comfortable enough here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

whyte is blowing out his arsehole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Good knockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What's happening in this fight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Rivas need a KO in the last 2 here you'd think.

I'm a fan of Whyte but the Sky bias is making me shout for Rivas.

Great fight as usual from Dillian, always makes the fights entertaining. Rivas must knock him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yeah whyte has kept the fight at his pace bar that one knockdown, I'd have whyte 4 rounds up even with the knockdown

I'm a fan of Whyte but the Sky bias is making me shout for Rivas.

Great fight as usual from Dillian, always makes the fights entertaining. Rivas must knock him out.

Agreed but to be fair, I like Whyte cause he'll fight anyone. Rivas has been disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭banie01

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yeah whyte has kept the fight at his pace bar that one knockdown, I'd have whyte 4 rounds up even with the knockdown

Same after the 11th I have Whyte 5 up even tho he was knocked.

banie01 wrote: »
    Same after the 11th I have Whyte 5 up even tho he was knocked.

Just needs to keep outta trouble here and it's a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, it has turned out to be a far better scrap than I expected. Whyte a points winner imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Rivas is decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

116-111 x 1, 115-112 x2 Unanimous decision Whyte.

Whyte was wobbled at a few points tonight and definitely gassed before he got put down, against a bigger puncher/opponent and this could have ended badly for Whyte, but he gritted his teeth and saw it out. Reasonably good scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Big money being bet on a draw for the Pacquiao fight.

Incredible. What a fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Split decision a joke but thankfully Pacman was on the right end of it. What a fighter. Fair play to Thurman for reaching the final bell. Was hurt badly a couple of times but recovered well. Pacquiao Spence early next year could be tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Am i wrong for wanting mayweather v pacquiao 2?
    I feel a bit dirty for suggesting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Am i wrong for wanting mayweather v pacquiao 2?
    I feel a bit dirty for suggesting it.

Was thinking the same thing watching that fight myself.

I believed Pacquiao when he said he was injured during the Mayweather fight. He knew if he pulled out injured he wouldn't get another shot. Made the win seem a little bit hollow. To be honest I don't think Mayweather would do it though. He already beat Marciano's record and he wouldn't risk losing that undefeated record for all the money in the world. He can make money off his legacy alone now and risking that would be stupid at this stage.

Who knows, we might hear in a year or two about some IRS troubles and all of a sudden he won't really have a choice but to fight again. I hope he does as well. Having McGregor as a winning retirement fight to break Rocky's record doesn't really sit well for me. Him beating Pacman or making bits of Canelo in his mid 40s would really be something special.

Dave Allen was taken out on a stretcher. He got a scan in the hospital - he's got a broken orbital bone and a laceration on his tongue. Took some serious punishment last night, like he did in the Tony Yoka fight. Kind of role reversal that we come out of a fight saying that his opponent should consider whether he should keep fighting because of all the punishment he is taking.

I don't remember seeing Dave Allen on a stretcher in the Sky Sports coverage. Did they not show that?

I thought the cards were very good tbh. I'd it 115-112 to Manny as well but the fight was much closer than people think and felt.

I think Thurman's layoff has taken a lot out of him. The guy who beat Porter and Garcia beats this version of Manny every day. Taking nothing away from Manny though, you can only beat the guy in front of you on the day. I still felt Thurman would beat him and he proved me wrong. His recent resurgence is remarkable. Is everyone ready for Floyd to weasel his way out of his strip club and talk up a rematch?

However I hope he retires, Spence and Crawford could cause some serious damage. No better way to go out than now.

As for David Allen I hope he retires. As much as he likes to deny it vehemently, he's been slurring hard for a few years now and that's two fights where he's taken potential life threatening damage. The first was against Yoka, and actual talent, the second against one of the worst HWs imaginable. Time to call it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

The craft and speed he still has at 40 is amazing. Think Thurman underestimated him a bit to be honest and took a long time to figure out he was fighting the wrong fight. Manny just didn't wear down and didn't have major problems with Keith's power. Nor did he have to take serious punishment to score himself.

Can't really blame Thurman if he was over-confident. But boy did he get a lesson. He should be thankful it wasn't a prime Pacquiao he was facing, because that would have been a massacre.

Advertisement