Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veneered table got wet, any way of repairing?

Options
  • 20-07-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

The veneer on the sides of a lovely table I have has cracked after it was left out in the rain. Everything else looks fine but it has cracked all along the sides. can this be removed am new veneer fitted at all?

Comments

Capra wrote: »
    The veneer on the sides of a lovely table I have has cracked after it was left out in the rain. Everything else looks fine but it has cracked all along the sides. can this be removed am new veneer fitted at all?

It’s very likely to be repairable if it’s real wood and veneer, not so much so if it’s a MMF substrate without more effort and expense.

It’s very hard to give specific answers without some photos of the table and the damaged veneer to go on.

Any chance of a few good photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

JayZeus wrote: »
    It’s very likely to be repairable if it’s real wood and veneer, not so much so if it’s a MMF substrate without more effort and expense.

It’s very hard to give specific answers without some photos of the table and the damaged veneer to go on.

Any chance of a few good photos?

I only have one photo right now which is attached. It's definitely some form of composite and not real wood though.

I only have one photo right now which is attached. It's definitely some form of composite and not real wood though.

Yeah, that’s kind of a gonner IMHO. You could let it dry and tidy it up with some body filler and paint, but not worth a lot of effort unless it means something to you.

Yeah, that’s kind of a gonner IMHO. You could let it dry and tidy it up with some body filler and paint, but not worth a lot of effort unless it means something to you.

Ugh I hope not. It's not actually mine, I collected it on behalf of a friend and then they weren't able to collect it from me for 6 week's and I had nowhere to store without moving it in and out constantly so it got left outside for a few days but then the heavy rain came the other day. I'd refer get it fixed than give them the €170 they paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Ugh I hope not. It's not actually mine, I collected it on behalf of a friend and then they weren't able to collect it from me for 6 week's and I had nowhere to store without moving it in and out constantly so it got left outside for a few days but then the heavy rain came the other day. I'd refer get it fixed than give them the €170 they paid for it

Their own fault for leaving it with you for so long when you didn't have room for it. I don't see why you should pay for it.

• Advertisement

Had a look on the laptop now and I can tell you for sure that table top is done for. The edges of the board have swollen and deformed, breaking up the finish coat/laminate in the process.

Economically, it's a write-off. Not worth the expense of trying to repair it (really, don't, it won't work) and can probably be replaced with something else for similar cost anyway.

Sorry, but that's how it looks from here, and I'd try to fix almost anything before dumping it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The edges of the board have swollen and deformed, breaking up the finish coat/laminate in the process.
    what he said. the top is essentially unrecoverable.

I probably didn't make it clear enough of how tight for space I was so it's at least partially my fault.

I wonder is there anyway of saving it temporarily as they do need a table and money is tight for them at the moment. Could the edges be routed as the top doesn't seem to be lifting or splitting? The cracking is only on the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Adverts . Free section search table.

And future note . Don't leave inside furniture anywhere near the outdoors unless your sitting at it or on it. Then bring it with you :) when done

listermint wrote: »
    Adverts . Free section search table.

And future note . Don't leave inside furniture anywhere near the outdoors unless your sitting at it or on it. Then bring it with you :) when done

I get you, but any scenario is going to cost me €170 minimum as I will give them their money back if there is no possible repair. So if I can do something to save me some money and them some hassle for a bit less that would be welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement