Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowpiercer [TNT/Netflix] (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

First 2 episodes are now available on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They kept keeping freezing and smashing of limps from the film.

They also seem to be able make opium so they must be growing poppy somewhere on the train.

There is going to have to be land or another train involved at some stage it can't just be a different murder every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

First 2 episodes are now available on Netflix

I can't see it on Netflix, am i missing something?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I can't see it on Netflix, am i missing something?

The first two are there on the Irish Netflix alright.

The first two are there on the Irish Netflix alright.

This is so weird, not showing for me but it's on my phone app, not the LG app.

• Advertisement

Plugged out the telly for 10 seconds, back on started Netflix and there it is. Very weird. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I watched the first two episodes. I hadn't seen the film but I'm familiar with the plot.
    I'm enjoying it so far. I've only known Daveed Diggs from Hamilton so I'm interested to see how he works as the leading man.
    The scene in episode 2 with the
    Mothers arm being frozen and smashed
    was a bit mad but shows how insane it is outside.

I used to hate waiting for weekly episodes of shows but I'm a fan now as I wont be back in the office till September at the earliest and it marks the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the episodes on Netflix I am enjoying it.
    It's more like a police procedural than anything like the film. But the setting is still a lot of fun, Jennifer Connelly is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2: Solid story being developed! They've definitely got an arc or two figured out.
    That scene with the arm!
    Yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Slydice wrote: »
    2: Solid story being developed! They've definitely got an arc or two figured out.
    That scene with the arm!
    Yikes!
    Ah in fairness
    that happened in the film so I wasn't shocked tbh...I would have been I'd they did it with the child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gmisk wrote: »
    I have watched the episodes on Netflix I am enjoying it.
    It's more like a police procedural than anything like the film. But the setting is still a lot of fun, Jennifer Connelly is excellent
    Yeah very different. Only recently watched the original so my view of it is coloured! It's OK but not fully sold on the episodic story or premise.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah in fairness
    that happened in the film so I wasn't shocked tbh...I would have been I'd they did it with the child!

I think it might have been the
    actress really got me on the pain of the cold. Then later she did well with the deliriousness

3: Ah of course. I bet
    he's working for daughter being played by Annalise Basso. Hard to imagine she's come to the series not to be high profile. I'd say she might be a kind of kingpin.

Everything still feeling new and exploring the train.

One thing caught my attention though, when
    everyone started fighting in the fight carriage, it looked very spacious. I thought I was imagining it but then they switched to the tail and it felt more narrow. Guessing it's an artistic thing to give the different feels of the different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Loving this show! Hadn't realised it was a prequel which definitely limits the possibilities for where they can go with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Sleepy wrote: »
    Loving this show! Hadn't realised it was a prequel which definitely limits the possibilities for where they can go with it.

Is it possible that this is a second train and the real Wilford is on the other one - the film centred one? Therefore maybe allowing them to go a different direction with it?

I never saw the film, must watch it after this.

Also, when googling yesterday to see when episodes get released on Netflix, the top links were for "disgusting scenes where a teenager is made perform oral sex for medicine". I saw about 2 seconds of that description in the intro (didn't look like a teenager though) and thought oh, there must be a much worse bit coming up....and it never did.

I can't believe people got upset over that. Well it's 2020 so I can believe it but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I wonder if
    Ed Harris will make a cameo
    or maybe even be a central character in a later season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given this is meant to be a prequel to the film, if we references character or events from that, maybe pop some spoiler tags on it. Seems a fair request for the varying exposure people will have to the property.

Only caught the first episode and liked what I saw: the Murder Mystery is a slightly hackneyed approach in getting a lead easily into the various class strata of the train itself - but it worked. A detective opens (and closes!) a lot of doors, and helped contextualise the various class struggles.

The lack of zippy, slightly insane energy of Bong Joon-ho is kinda lacking - but that was always to be expected. The train still had a captivating aesthetic to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't understand how the class structure works. Are they paying for their passage and if so how? Since the world outside the train is no more and money is somewhat useless. Also who is the autority on the train and how do they prevent the poice or whatever from taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I don't understand how the class structure works. Are they paying for their passage and if so how? Since the world outside the train is no more and money is somewhat useless. Also who is the autority on the train and how do they prevent the poice or whatever from taking over?

It was kind of touched on in the latest epsiode that the first class passengers helped fund the building of the train with their wealth before the big freeze, so that was the cost of their ticket in a sense. As for other classes not sure, maybe they pay for their tickets with their service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was never impressed with the film - thought it was a disjointed badly edited mess, only found out checking out the series that there was two versions of the film (the original directors version being the better one and the same guy in charge now)

The series, for me, doesn't seem to be anything but a whodunnit with the books subject matter thrown in as an excuse for "this is a different story" and even those bits seem to be a throwaway part of the story like the freezing the womans arm - who is the woman, we don't know her, we don't care

So much they could have done with the story but no lets just make it a murder/mystery

Nice twist to the end of this weeks episode, interested to see where they go now that the murder has been solved.

4:
    I knew it! but..
    I did not see that end coming.
    Slydice wrote: »
    3: Ah of course. I bet he's working for daughter being played by Annalise Basso. Hard to imagine she's come to the series not to be high profile. I'd say she might be a kind of kingpin.

Nice twist to the end of this weeks episode, interested to see where they go now that the murder has been solved.

Yeah, how're they gonna structure it from here. Maybe more spy stuff from the tail.

Also I'm not convinced the Doc who played Brudo the Serial Killer in Mindhunter isn't gonna have some kind of bigger role.

5: Damn that was a good episode!

Can't help but get the feeling the arc is a build up to a lot of violence!

Class warfare is coming.

I still can see the whole two seasons taking place on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

Starting to really enjoy this. The 5th episode really kicked it up a notch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have just finished episode 2 and think it is a reasonable plot so far. One question I have though and maybe I need to watch the film but why are they on a train?
    Seems to be something that needed to be explained in episode 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have just finished episode 2 and think it is a reasonable plot so far. One question I have though and maybe I need to watch the film but why are they on a train?
    Seems to be something that needed to be explained in episode 1.

It's just the conceit, it's intentionally fanciful. The movie and TV show are based on a French as the main source; I think it's just a train cos it's effectively a horizontal high rise, making for an equally neat fit for a story of class division.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's just the conceit, it's intentionally fanciful. The movie and TV show are based on a French as the main source; I think it's just a train cos it's effectively a horizontal high rise, making for an equally neat fit for a story of class division.

Maybe not a good place to go in a search for realism then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »

No doubt this is what you were referring to:

517391.png

Advertisement