Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowpiercer [TNT/Netflix] (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No doubt this is what you were referring to:

517391.png

Probably in the back of my mind (which reminds I must get to seeing that film, passed me by), but I think in general any concept or structural setting containing "levels" - be they literal or metaphorical - automatically lends itself to a narrative theme of division of class warfare; be it something outlandish like a train with 1001 carriages[*] or a humble suburban office setting.

[*] Which reminds that it often feels like the scriptwriter wasn't talking to the FX team with this decision: 1001 carriage feels like a LOT, the train surely stretching for kilometres in length - yet in the CGI, the train never appears as long as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Wow! That episode was .. well.. it was really good!

So much going on but they are showing it really clearly. So many stories!

That scene with with
    Melanie plugging the cable back in was so tense. I couldn't say I was 100% sure they wouldn't botch it up, kill some passengers and maim her in the process.

Then the
    speech by Ruth and the music and all together.. I was like How Very Dare you bring in sympathy for this character... but it worked. Alison Wright doing a top notch job in this role.

A real
    Phew! moment all round when the repair worked out though!

Oh and
    the mother dieing in the tai
    l :(
    I thought she might make it.

7: Oh!
    That's gotta be a civil war (or two) building in first! There'll be a fair bit of shuffling before this deck is through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well at least episode 5 answers the question I have been wondering: how long IS the train?

5 miles according to one character, so if there are a 1001 carriages that means each one is approx 8 metres long (if my quick bit of math is right). That feels about right given what we see in show of the carriages.

Dunno why but it really peeked my curiousity each time the intro referenced the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Snowpiercer is 10 miles long it's referenced in the latest episode. Of the 1001 carriages they built 20 for the sets used in the show.

• Advertisement

Daxve wrote: »
    Snowpiercer is 10 miles long it's referenced in the latest episode. Of the 1001 carriages they built 20 for the sets used in the show.

Literally watched episode 5 an hour ago and the nightcar lady said 5 miles long so *shrug* ... who in the show said it's 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

pixelburp wrote: »
    Literally watched episode 5 an hour ago and the nightcar lady said 5 miles long so *shrug* ... who in the show said it's 10?

In episode 7 one of the characters about halfway thru says "It's a 10-mile mark from Tail to Engine"

In episode five someone says "It's five miles uptrain,
    where a jury of First and Second..." - obviously they were at the halfway point then

8:
    Revolution! Stopped by that gas I reckon and this soldier probably about to slow take carriages and kill people from them in front of Layton in order to 'grind' him down
    as yer man says.
    Maybe Melanie lives. Maybe I think. Gotta keep the engine running. Don't wanna be down an engineer especially if she knows the most. I guess it's really down to if Jennifer Connelly wants to keep with the show.
    She's doing great so far.
    At the top. It's probably first splitting into two groups with Nolan, Ruth and the Folgers (main) on one side but then the young Folger .. it feels like she might be another force up there. She'll need to keep her head down for now but I think she
    might be well placed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the tail section should be worried about being decoupled. Thats the first thing I would be thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think the tail section should be worried about being decoupled. Thats the first thing I would be thinking of.

Circling track around the planet. Would end up been an obstacle on the revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

corkie wrote: »
    Circling track around the planet. Would end up been an obstacle on the revolution.

They already mentioned in the 1st or 2nd episode that they can shunt detached cars into a siding.

Also
    the name of episode 10 hints that this is exactly what they will do

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be a two hour season finale on Sunday/Monday.

Damn that was a great little twist at the end.

Also I guess we now know who Sean Bean will be playing next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Damn that was a great little twist at the end.

Also I guess we now know who Sean Bean will be playing next season.

So, any guesses about how this Sean Bean character kicks the bucket!
    As soon as she got on top of the train I was hoping they wouldn't go with the cliche of falling off the moving train, though really happy she survived, one of the few characters I really want to see played out in the show

9:
    Ooof! .. for Layton.
    As an episode dedicated to
    his choice, it was well done.

Then that kinda look of relief on Melanie!

10: Oh wow! That was good! Gonna need to be seeing season 2 now!

Kinda reminds me a little of
    the opening of Battlestar Galactica Razor!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Excellent 2 episodes to end the series, sets up season 2 brilliantly.
    Sean Bean will make an excellent Wilfrid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Great season 1, kind of feels like a guilty pleasure in the sense that there is a greater than usual suspension of disbelief required for this kind of story. Apparently they were almost finished filming season 2 in March of this year but got shut down due to covid, hopefully they can get it finished and released early next year

Finished this up today and definitely one of those middling shows I broadly enjoyed in fits and starts. The personal drama was a bit meh, while sometimes took itself way too seriously - when the premise and class structure should have been played up more.

Still, would keep watching if it got a season 2. Would like it to embrace the silly a little more. I had read this was meant to tie in with the film, that it wasn't a separate universe and I'm still not sure how that squares. I wonder is the
    supply train the movie train perhaps? It's 40 cars long, and there's apparently folk on it so maybe that's where the movie happened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 2 returning on January 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does Sean Bean die - that's the question on everyone's lips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just watched the last episode as I would not be interested in revolution politics on the train.

Why is Mr. Willfords arival seen with such dread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've no clue what happens in the comics but the big question for me is will Sean Bean die or not?:P

AFAIK this will be airing weekly on Netflix again too; looking forward to this being back. It has always lacked that certain X factor to make me recommend or enthuse about the show too much, but as solid no-frills entertainment it has kept me watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

pixelburp wrote: »
    AFAIK this will be airing weekly on Netflix again too; looking forward to this being back. It has always lacked that certain X factor to make me recommend or enthuse about the show too much, but as solid no-frills entertainment it has kept me watching.

This exactly. I will probably watch the next series but it is not something that I am overly excited about.

Renewed for a 3rd season ahead of season 2's start.

• Advertisement

Advertisement