Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clinginess

• 21-07-2019 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Our little one is just about 6 months old. In the last month ive joined a gym going two nights a week for an hour, leaving her at home with her dad.
    She will not settle for him, works herself up into hysterics and will only calm down once she's in my arms.
    I'm due back in work in the next couple of weeks and she will be going to creche.i am in a panic about leaving her when she won't even settle for her father.
    Has anyone had experience of this? I've been letting them have as much time as possible together and am leaving the room so she os just with him while I'm still here but tonight i went out and hubbie phoned after an hour , she'd made herself sick crying ao much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

That’s the normal age for separation anxiety to start. She has just realised that you are separate people and that you can leave her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Very normal.All you can do is settle her slowly into the creche.Daddy probably starts to get uptight too when you are going and babies sense that.There is not much you can do, maybe try leaving him with her for 30mins here and there with him to go for coffee or pop to a shop or something during the day (weekends if needed).She will get used to it!
    Although I just went to the bathroom and my one year old nearly lost his life when the door closed, so it takes a while to pass!

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The creche will have seen it all before, so don't stress about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The creche will work out, usually the first week or two you will stay there with them and gradually build up time from 10-15 mins to a few hours so that the little one becomes familiar with the new surroundings. Then you will start stepping out for a few minutes each day, gradually building up the the time you disappear until they are settled in.

There will of course still be days where they tear the roof down because they don't want you to leave them. This is heart breaking at the beginning but gets better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Thanks for the replies. I know the creche is great, her older sister goes and loves it. The girls are all lovely.
    Its just getting me into such a panic already when she won't even settle for her dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

MiliMe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I know the creche is great, her older sister goes and loves it. The girls are all lovely.
    Its just getting me into such a panic already when she won't even settle for her dad.

My 6 month old daughter did the exact same to me after mommy started going to gym in evenings, she got past it in 2-3 months.

Completely normal - she spent 24/7 with mommy for first 6 months so completely expected to be unsettled for daddy for awhile, not matter what a superstar Dad you are, you just can't compete with mommy.

Advertisement