Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop email notification from sub-forum, want main forum only?

Options
  • 21-07-2019 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

It's a sub forum. So unless you have followed it you shouldn't get notified of the threads. I think this is what you are referring to but the your post isn't exactly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Thanks for the reply. I follow bargain alerts main forum - does that mean I am automatically inflicted with the sub-forums? I can't find any way to unsubscribe the sub-forum on it's own and to keep the primary subscription.

Thanks for the reply. I follow bargain alerts main forum - does that mean I am automatically inflicted with the sub-forums? I can't find any way to unsubscribe the sub-forum on it's own and to keep the primary subscription.

Go into the referrals forum and press unfollow up the top left.

It's not followed. I only follow the main forum. I can click "follow" in the sub-forum itself - but you can only unfollow if you are already followed, if you dig me.

It's not followed. I only follow the main forum. I can click "follow" in the sub-forum itself - but you can only unfollow if you are already followed, if you dig me.

You're doing something wrong would be my guess. Where exactly are you seeing these threads?

Do you see them here? https://touch.boards.ie/myforums

• Advertisement

I don't use the app I use a PC, but no - only BA is listed in my forums (and a couple of others I subscribe to).

I don't find it complex enough to get wrong - follow or unfollow leaves little room for error. In the BA main forum I get the option to "unfollow forum" and in all the sub options I get the option to "follow forum". However, since this referral codes forum went live, my daily "Bargain Alerts" email now includes every single referral thread in the "these threads are new" section. So about 3 bargain alerts and about 20 referrals. I just want to turn off the sub-forum. Perhaps it's not possible. Maybe a mod will reply.

I don't use the app I use a PC, but no - only BA is listed in my forums (and a couple of others I subscribe to).

I don't find it complex enough to get wrong - follow or unfollow leaves little room for error. In the BA main forum I get the option to "unfollow forum" and in all the sub options I get the option to "follow forum". However, since this referral codes forum went live, my daily "Bargain Alerts" email now includes every single referral thread in the "these threads are new" section. So about 3 bargain alerts and about 20 referrals. I just want to turn off the sub-forum. Perhaps it's not possible. Maybe a mod will reply.

Do the emails ever include bargain alerts requests or posts from living frugally? If not you could flag it in the feedback forum. It may be a glitch with the new forum.

I think I might? - but both forums are fairly inactive. I actually think there might be no way to do it. Maybe subscription to the main forum means alerts for the sub forums too?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Yes can a mod stop referrals being posted to people who are not subscribed to the referrals sub-forum please.

For example - tonights alert - 14 new threads for BA - how exciting!

But no... 13 of them are for the referrals forum. Which I'm not interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Yep exact same problem here... Anyone have a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Referral codes sub-forum to Help desk

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks, this isn't typical behaviour but hopefully we've flicked the right switches to rectify this. It may be tomorrow before we know for sure (depending on timing of emails), but fingers crossed.

cheers!

ALAS POOR YORRICK!

Still getting them - thankfully there were only 3 this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

ALAS POOR YORRICK!

Still getting them - thankfully there were only 3 this time

Yep not fixed my end either but I guess it's a fix one fix all situation

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi folks,

I subbed to the forum, but I think this is just how the system handles it (we just haven't gotten complaints elsewhere).

I can see that the issue here might be that it's telling you, "The following threads are new" and only listing Referral Codes threads. But that is likely a by-product of the forum being new, the subject matter contributing to a lot of new threads (always new services, etc. that grant referrals), and Bargain Alerts being populated with lots of mega threads.

Under "The following threads have been updated" there are mentions of threads within Bargain Alerts [Requests], which I also didn't follow. We'll look into the settings attached to notifications, but I'm afraid that it's likely that this is down the list of priorities unless it turns out to be a very simple setting change.

Advertisement