Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT graduates earn €815 a week within 5 years after graduation?

Options
  • 21-07-2019 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

This article says IT graduates are on average the highest earners among all workers five years post graduation:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/tech-graduates-earn-most-within-five-years-of-college-exit-1.3960806

It says they earn €815 a week on average. I'm have not lived in Ireland for several years so I'm not sure if this means €815 before or after tax. So is this the average take-home pay after tax? And how much would it increase to over another five years, i.e., how much on average do you expect an IT graduate ten years out of college is making?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,167 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would want to be after tax and seems quite low especially for the highest earners. I don't think you'd get someone in IT sales out of bed for that money with a degree and 5yrs experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

While typically such figures are quoted before tax, these numbers are far too low for pre-tax. €815 per week is only €42K per annum.

Depends on what area a person is in, but in software engineering/development, one would expect to earn a lot more than that. While the vast majority won't earn €100K after just 5 years (typically that figure should be reached after circa 10 years), that should be the target (aim high) and settle for ~70K after 5 years, if one is good at their job.

Therefore, the figure above has to be either post-tax, excluding bonus/pension/overtime etc or including a lot of people who work in low-paying "call-center jobs" etc that have been included in the classification of "IT" and bringing down the average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Before tax and it is an average so not that bad. IT covers all sorts of roles, not all IT staff are developers, lots of lower to mid level roles which brings down the average.

Also covers those that got a 1.1 down to pass...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Before tax and it is an average so not that bad. IT covers all sorts of roles, not all IT staff are developers, lots of lower to mid level roles which brings down the average.

Also covers those that got a 1.1 down to pass...

Doesn't even say they're working in IT. Just that they graduated from an IT course. They could be doing anything or not working at all. The article even says that the most popular industries for new graduates are retail and wholesale. If you exclude those IT grads who started working in retail after graduating then it would push up the average.

Advertisement