Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM query ( quoted post from Bargain alerts )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Is the Crucial RAM linked above decent value ?

I have an Aorus B450 M paired with a Ryzen 2600X and 8GB of Vengeance LPX 2666

I need to upgrade a different PC in the house so was thinking of upgrading my Aorus based pc with the following - 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 3600 / 3600X , and relocating the 8GB RAM and 2600X to the other PC ( with a new motherboard as well )

Should I bite the bullet with the Crucial RAM while it's on offer or is there better value alternatives ?

Thanks .

Yeah it seems to be the best I could find over the past week or so. Memory prices seem to be creeping back ip again but maybe they had just gone as low as they were going to. Either way Ryzen release seems to have caused the increase so I guess it might go back down.

Saying that, I just bought the 32GB 3200MHz version less than 5 minutes ago. RAM prices may fall again but I don't think it will happen soon since some suppliers seem to running short of stock now again. I could be wrong but I've been staring at RAM prices for over 2 months and finally pulled the trigger today. That or my finger just got tired ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Is the Crucial RAM linked above decent value ?

I have an Aorus B450 M paired with a Ryzen 2600X and 8GB of Vengeance LPX 2666

I need to upgrade a different PC in the house so was thinking of upgrading my Aorus based pc with the following - 16GB RAM and a Ryzen 3600 / 3600X , and relocating the 8GB RAM and 2600X to the other PC ( with a new motherboard as well )

Should I bite the bullet with the Crucial RAM while it's on offer or is there better value alternatives ?

Thanks .

Hi.

I bought that kit myself after extensive searching for a few days and weighing up all the options. The timings are good and it seems to clock very well.

There are lots of murmurings in the industry about quite likely price hikes in the DDR world.

Have a quick read through this article or just watch the video,
    https://wccftech.com/semiconductor-price-hike-south-korea/

Winter is coming :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Seems alright to me I paid a bit more for some HyperX recently with the same specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just went ahead and bought from the Crucial site .

This time last year it was £90 stg for the 8GB of Vengeance LPX 2666 I'm currently using .

Thanks all for your input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have a RAM query myself but dont want to start a new thread. Had 10GB of RAM in PC. 3x2GB Mushkin enhanced PC3-10666 Silverline and a 4GB stick(Dont know what it was, robbed from another PC) . Issue with the 4GB so am running on 6GB of RAM. Whats my best cheap and cheerful option to get me back up over the 10GB mark, or will going much higher than this make a difference..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Glebee wrote: »
    Have a RAM query myself but dont want to start a new thread. Had 10GB of RAM in PC. 3x2GB Mushkin enhanced PC3-10666 Silverline and a 4GB stick(Dont know what it was, robbed from another PC) . Issue with the 4GB so am running on 6GB of RAM. Whats my best cheap and cheerful option to get me back up over the 10GB mark, or will going much higher than this make a difference..

What's the rest of the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Glebee wrote: »

What's the rest of the system?

Inter Core i5-2500k, LGA 1155
    ASRock P67 Pro3(B3) sockel 1155 ATX
    Corsair A70 coolee
    Super Flower SF700, Gamer edition, 700w
    1TB samsung SATA hard drive
    Radeon RX 480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why do you also need that much RAM? It's best run in certain configurations, eg. dual or triple channel (this depends on the board/cpu, given the RAM you're using I assume it's fairly old machine) but a random mash-up of RAM for the sake of having it isn't going to be overly beneficial and can hurt performance (unless you literally need all of that 10GB for something specific like 100 tabs at once in Firefox!)

2nd hand a 16GB kit in 2x8GB would cost about €25-30 and is far more optimal.

Advertisement