Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

McTominay with some proper ****housery in the corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How was there 6 mins of stoppage? 2 max!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Tame effort by Leicester really

Penalty needed to win it but we’ll take it with the injuries, forgettable stuff, no style on show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Much needed 3 points!! McTominay is my MOTM. Great shift from him today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Very lucky to win that.

We created nothing much going forward.

Rashford was decent from the 2 fk's he had around the goal, didn't offer much else.

Defensively average, Leicester just fluffed their chances. Ndidi miss kicking it was the difference between 3 points and 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

bloody awful game to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought Young played well. Performance doesn't matter. Good win.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Thought Young played well. Performance doesn't matter. Good win.

For the most part he was class.

So reliable for a 34yr old winger playing left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Good win. Onwards we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Performance wasn’t great but a win is a win. Leicester didn’t really trouble us much tbf bar 1 real chance. Hopefully we put a few past Astana on Thursday and build some confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Delighted for all the lads in here lining paddy powers' pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Onwards and upwards, delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liam O wrote: »

I threw a 10er on United at evens.. it's all my fault we won.. sorry lads :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Defensively average, Leicester just fluffed their chances. Ndidi miss kicking it was the difference between 3 points and 1.
    You'd swear he failed to tap the ball into an empty net. That was an extremely difficult chance to convert and probably Leicester's second best chance of the game which says a lot.

Did we use the ball well for the last hour of the game? Not really. But beyond that there was plenty that I was happy with, especially the 3 points.

• Liam O wrote: »

Betfair*

• Happy Rashford burried the penalty. Always good to get the win, as poxy as it was

We are **** up front, but again unsurprising

Rashford Needs to stay on the Penos now and Ole needs to grow a pair and keep ****ing Pogba away from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

limnam wrote: »
    bloody awful game to watch.

Wasn't Ole promising to change that?
    The game today was a carbon copy of so many over the last season under Jose.

Liam O wrote: »

Excuse me :mad:

It was Boylesports, I wouldn't give PP a cent.

Skybet, myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

United got the job done. Now onto Ciarrai.

• Advertisement

Fùcking hell, Norwich.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Curious to see what Ole will do this second half. Third time this season we've been in the exact same position, hopefully third time lucky.
    Happy with his subs. Took 65 minutes to make the change but Fred and Chong to a lesser extent upped the energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fùcking hell, Norwich.

They're going to be fellating each other later in THAT thread if the result holds

paulbok wrote: »
    They're going to be fellating each other later in THAT thread if the result holds

Posts like that are just gonna draw them in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Liam O wrote:

Ladbrokes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Missed the match today with work. Did the team play well or was it a bore and we had to hang on for the win?

Missed the match today with work. Did the team play well or was it a bore and we had to hang on for the win?

The usual display,played well for the first half an hour and just seemed to run out of steam and ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

lol if not for two missed penalties we'd be second despite how poor we've been with a paper thin squad.

FatherTed wrote: »
    lol if not for two missed penalties we'd be second despite how poor we've been with a paper thin squad.

Take your alternative tables talk elsewhere.

We're united.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wasn't Ole promising to change that?
    The game today was a carbon copy of so many over the last season under Jose.

I think that’s my biggest frustration about Ole.

For bits and pieces, you can see the high press, but it’s only ever for a little bit and then it’s very conservative, boring football. The second half was boring as anything previous managers have put out.

I’m sure a large part of that is the personnel. I don’t believe any manager will get much out of Mata, Matic, Perreira and Rashford as the main driving force of the team.

But the whole reason we went for the inexperienced manager was the promise of cavalier, youthful football, and I don’t think we are getting that after the eight months he’s been there.

Role on Thursday. Expecting the kids to play, and expecting them to put on a performance to earn the chance to get more time.

Hoping Fred plays his way into the team resulting in us moving to a 4-3-3 with Pogba playing further forward.

I think there are differences between how we are playing now and how we used set up to play 18 months ago. Hopefully that will deviate even more so as the season goes on.

There were definitely times today when we were happy to let Leicester knock it around at arms length and I'd be curious to know if that was the managers wish or whether the players naturally sat back while Ole demanded something else from the sidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Hoping Fred plays his way into the team resulting in us moving to a 4-3-3 with Pogba playing further forward.

I think there are differences between how we are playing now and how we used set up to play 18 months ago. Hopefully that will deviate even more so as the season goes on.

There were definitely times today when we were happy to let Leicester knock it around at arms length and I'd be curious to know if that was the managers wish or whether the players naturally sat back while Ole demanded something else from the sidelines.

if there is one thing ole wont do is demand anything from the sideline.

'this is manchester united, the biggest club in the world', how often does he say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I genuinely don’t think we have any other midfielder at the club capable of playing, even halfways, a deep lying creative role. Pogba, by default, has to play there unless we’re desperately chasing a game in the final minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

While we're not at the level we'd like to be we are going in the right direction. We've gotten rid of a few players who didn't want to be there and hopefully a few more will be gone in Jan. We've replaced them with 3 players who look like the real deal ar long last. All 3 nominated for Aigust potm. Hopefully this type of scouting continues. Theres another big cull ahead in the next two windows so I'm not expecting much this season.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I genuinely don’t think we have any other midfielder at the club capable of playing, even halfways, a deep lying creative role. Pogba, by default, has to play there unless we’re desperately chasing a game in the final minutes.

We dont really need him to do it against teams that play a low block, fred, mcguire and linderoff should be able to progress the ball up the pitch to him.

After being a bit meh about Mct so far I thought he played well today, one of his best games for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We dont really need him to do it against teams that play a low block, fred, mcguire and linderoff should be able to progress the ball up the pitch to him.

After being a bit meh about Mct so far I thought he played well today, one of his best games for us

with pogba a bit further forward, I think McTominay and Fred would have the energy behind him - and I think their passing is good enough and progressive enough when they are at their best.

with pogba a bit further forward, I think McTominay and Fred would have the energy behind him - and I think their passing is good enough and progressive enough when they are at their best.

For all our games? I don't think it will happen anyways as Ole will look to play counter attacking against the bigger teams mostly and will want pogbas long range passing for that.

The thing I like about Pogba playing further forward against defensive teams is he tries too much at times and when it doesn't come off it leaves us exposed but further forward he will have cover in behind.

I still think defensively Fred is a beast tackling wise but looks like he is last on the list of starting midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Annabella1

4th place not bad
    Two points off 2nd
    West Ham away next
    Long time bogey fixture

I think if Herrera was still at the club he'd be struggling to get into the team ahead of him.

Hopefully he continues to improve.

I think if Herrera was still at the club he'd be struggling to get into the team ahead of him.

Hopefully he continues to improve.

He still doesn't do anything very well but he seems to have added to his game a good bit this year (or in the last game :D)

I'll be very sacrilegious here but IMO Herrera was exceptionally good at finding space on the ball with little touches to the side or oversteps similar to Scholes although no where near the player scholes was and not as good as he was at it.

There is no stats for this type of play (yet at least) McT has shown similar work rate, similar tackling, better goal threat and in the last game better running with the ball.

Herrera was just a smart player for me, little things like above that would never be talked about on commentary or in analysis.

But I do think it would have been a fight for position no doubt, If McT can learn that, I'll call is space creation in tight situations he could become a great player

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »

I was thinking a bit differently about that after the game - If not for penalties this season we'd be worse off in the league.

I was thinking a bit differently about that after the game - If not for penalties this season we'd be worse off in the league.

There was a few around yesterday having a moan about the amount of penalties we've won this season.;)
    Well if defenders keep making dumb challenges in the box penalties will be given.

If anything we should have had more penalties given already this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Annabella1 wrote: »
    4th place not bad
    Two points off 2nd
    West Ham away next
    Long time bogey fixture

Speaking of bogey fixtures. I watched MoTD this morning and seen the Wolves rolled over and let Chelsea tickle their soft furry bellies.

when they play us they’re like a pack of rabid animals.

There was a few around yesterday having a moan about the amount of penalties we've won this season.;)
    Well if defenders keep making dumb challenges in the box penalties will be given.

Yeah. Simple answer here is VAR. if it’s not a penalty then it won’t be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yeah. Simple answer here is VAR. if it’s not a penalty then it won’t be given.

That's really proving not to be the case though. There have been multiple scenarios where the ref really has gotten it wrong but Var doesn't amend anything.

That's really proving not to be the case though. There have been multiple scenarios where the ref really has gotten it wrong but Var doesn't amend anything.

Maybe so, but you bet your bottom dollar that if any of our PKs this season weren’t stone walls, they’d be over turned in a hot second.

Have there been many examples of penalties given which VAR then over ruled? Or more importantly, incorrectly over ruled?

There are plenty of occasions where penalties have not been given and the on field decision has not been changed.

So for every penalty we have been given there has been a review that ensured that the referee has not made a clear mistake. I'm not sure how that doesn't back up the fact that the penalties United have been awarded have been valid penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the biggest plus for ole so far, because the football definitely hasn't been consistent, is that all of his signings seem to have improved the team. Which should give the board confidence the back him in January hopefully.

• Any word on James if he's injured or not?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement