Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sheringham did a good job in 99

True but he was 33 in 1999. Zlatan is a lion though etc.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Depends on how you would do it to be honest. If you were bringing him back for his mentality and experience to pass on knowledge to the younger players and come off the bench and play a few games he would be excellent.

If you're u were bringing him back to depend on every game then its a backward step.

I thought nk Zlatan around any dressing room like ourselfs or Chelsea would be awesome for the kids imagine the awe players liek greenwood and gomes would have training beside him.

He can do both. He would finish the season as top scorer at the club, even if he came in November and a fit Zlatan can play every game. Messi Lingard can clean his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our most prolific forward, is Marcus Rashford. Last season he averaged one goal every 3.3 games. Dreadful. He scored 10 goals in the premiership last season, his first time reaching double figures...his stats...

2016/2017 - 32 games / 5 goals
    2017/2018 - 35 games / 7 goals
    2018/2019 - 33 games / 10 goals

Overall - 100 games, over 3 seasons, 22 goals.

The guy leading our attack scores one goal every 4.5 games.

While the lack of creativity has been an issue, we also lack a credible forward option, a finisher, a ruthless and prolific marksman, Rashford who despite his youth and enthusiasm to contribute to anyone with two functioning eyes and half a functioning brain behind them can see that he isn’t the answer and isn’t likely to be. As of now our only solution to goals is opening the wallet and spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Personally I always thought the knee injury pushed Zlatan off the cliff, so to speak. Just didn’t look sharp after that. Speculation of course, but I took the “injury” he picked up in Oct/Nov the following season as simply a gesture of respect from Mourinho to see him through to the January transfer window without there being weekly pieces about “how Zlatan can’t hack it anymore” every time he’d fail to make the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The Nal wrote: »
    True but he was 33 in 1999. Zlatan is a lion though etc.

He can do both. He would finish the season as top scorer at the club, even if he came in November and a fit Zlatan can play every game. Messi Lingard can clean his boots.

But it's not about him coming in and finising top scorer that could easily be done he has such class and ability from penalty spot and free kicks. Its what kind of message would it send you of united abandoned the new direction the club is meant to be going with to bring Zlatan back in and move rashford or martial back out wide and on bench and greenwood out of the squad for an 38 year old short term fix.

Bring up whatever stats anyone likes about rashford and Martial not scoring enough goals but they have never had a chance like they are getting now so give them the season and see which can grab it or if both can grab it or hope greenwood can break into the side later on season that's what the plan was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sad state of affairs hoping for a 38 year old to save the season but thats where we are.

Henrik Larson did a fine job when he joined for a few months and we wanted to keep him on.

We are where we are right now, I wouldn’t be turning my nose up at Zlatan. This team is lacking in any real experience and even his good habits in training (ala Cantona) would be priceless lessons for the younger players. United don’t need anymore youth in that team, they need more strong characters to help show the team what you need to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Sad state of affairs hoping for a 38 year old to save the season but thats where we are.

I don't think anyone was suggesting we'd play him every game and make him the main focal point of the attack.
    But his leadership, undoubted quality and ballsy attitude would undoubtedly lift the squad. And quite simply - he always scores goals.

Wasn't Henrik Larsson 35/36 when Fergie brought him in on loan?
    And it was hailed as a masterly move.

But it's not about him coming in and finising top scorer that could easily be done he has such class and ability from penalty spot and free kicks. Its what kind of message would it send you of united abandoned the new direction the club is meant to be going with to bring Zlatan back in and move rashford or martial back out wide and on bench and greenwood out of the squad for an 38 year old short term fix.

Bring up whatever stats anyone likes about rashford and Martial not scoring enough goals but they have never had a chance like they are getting now so give them the season and see which can grab it or if both can grab it or hope greenwood can break into the side later on season that's what the plan was.

I think the squad is so thin we could do all that with him in it. Theres the league, Europa, FA Cup and pisspot all to come. Throw in a couple of inevitable injuries and he'll be needed.

Good influence in the dressing room, goals, and a great plan B if he starts on the bench. Players are still terrified of him.

And theres still no one better at holding up the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Henrik Larsson was the sort of edge a title challenging side was looking for to get them over the line, beyond age I don't really see how bringing Zlatan back is the same thing.

Results wise he isn't going to have any meaningful effect, selection wise he is just going to take gametime away from the players Ole has already placed his future upon, and if people want a father figure behind the scenes then just get another coach, one who actually coaches as opposed to just being some sort of figurehead.

Results wise he isn't going to have any meaningful effect

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Strumms wrote: »
    Our most prolific forward, is Marcus Rashford. Last season he averaged one goal every 3.3 games. Dreadful. He scored 10 goals in the premiership last season, his first time reaching double figures...his stats...

2016/2017 - 32 games / 5 goals
    2017/2018 - 35 games / 7 goals
    2018/2019 - 33 games / 10 goals

Overall - 100 games, over 3 seasons, 22 goals.

The guy leading our attack scores one goal every 4.5 games.

While the lack of creativity has been an issue, we also lack a credible forward option, a finisher, a ruthless and prolific marksman, Rashford who despite his youth and enthusiasm to contribute to anyone with two functioning eyes and half a functioning brain behind them can see that he isn’t the answer and isn’t likely to be. As of now our only solution to goals is opening the wallet and spending.

While I agree we do need a prolific striker, its unfair to say Rashford is the man leading our line as its been Martial upfront all pre season and in each game this season he's been fit. He looks twice the player Rashford is playing through the middle. He's also the best finisher at the club by a long shot, I hate saying "IF", but if Martial can stay fit this season and stop picking up all these niggly injuries, I've high hopes he might surpass his first season tally of 17.

With James in form on the left, Rashford needs to work on attacking from the right or he could find himself out of the team.

• Advertisement

Why not?

He might get a few goals here and there, some of them might be winners, but he isn't going to meaningfully change the course of our season or turn us from a 5/6 placed side to 2/3rd.

And if he isn't going to do that then what is the bigger picture here?

I can accept a poor season if it serves the long term goal of rebuilding and developing a side, no problem with that at all. But what was the point of getting rid of the likes of Lukaku if we are then going to turn around and play a 38 year old instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Even if he wasn't to play 1 second of football, i would gladly have Zlatan in the squad. His experience and non-acceptance of mediocrity would be fantastic.

Who exactly are our current "young stars" looking up to and learning from? Lingard? Pogba? Mata? Fred? Jones? Bailly? Young? Matic?

But i can't see Zlatan back, for a number of reasons. One possibly being that Ole knows that the guy speaks his mind, and I can imagine Ole being so inexperienced at this level of management might feel like he could be undermined by a character as large as Zlatan. I know its complete speculation...........but if in Ole's shoes, I would be thinking it!!

He might get a few goals here and there, some of them might be winners, but he isn't going to meaningfully change the course of our season or turn us from a 5/6 placed side to 2/3rd.

Finished 5 points off Spurs in 4th last season. A few winners - Huddersfield, Chelsea, Wolves last season - would've meant 4th place.

When he was a his best for us Zlatan was a touch too slow for the Premier league, both pace wise and getting shots away etc.

A bad injury, coming from a way worse league and a couple more years on his age, dont see him offering anything bar a plan b late in games, how would you play any sort of pressing game with him up front

When he was a his best for us Zlatan was a touch too slow for the Premier league, both pace wise and getting shots away etc.

Himself and De Gea are 90% of the reason we won the two cups. He scored 28 goals.

Finished 5 points off Spurs in 4th last season. A few winners - Huddersfield, Chelsea, Wolves last season - would've meant 4th place.

Honestly, I don't give a **** about 4th place. What is the aim here, to scratch into 4th place or to seriously look at what we are doing and try to build a team with a sustainable title challenge in them?

Himself and De Gea are 90% of the reason we won the two cups. He scored 28 goals.

Premier league cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

While I agree we do need a prolific striker, its unfair to say Rashford is the man leading our line as its been Martial upfront all pre season and in each game this season he's been fit. He looks twice the player Rashford is playing through the middle. He's also the best finisher at the club by a long shot, I hate saying "IF", but if Martial can stay fit this season and stop picking up all these niggly injuries, I've high hopes he might surpass his first season tally of 17.

With James in form on the left, Rashford needs to work on attacking from the right or he could find himself out of the team.

Martial is twice the player Rashford is...probably has twice the raw ability and twice the football intelligence to boot, he’s a clever player with bags of ability, pace and usually a reliable finisher too.

Honestly, I don't give a **** about 4th place. What is the aim here, to scratch into 4th place or to seriously look at what we are doing and try to build a team with a sustainable title challenge in them?

Both. Without CL footie players are less likely to come. This is a 3 to 4 year rebuild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Strumms wrote: »
    Martial is twice the player Rashford is...probably has twice the raw ability and twice the football intelligence to boot, he’s a clever player with bags of ability, pace and usually a reliable finisher too.

Amazing how he has everyone convinced of this while putting in sub standard performances for a few years now.

Rashford is the new target for everyone but is a reliable hard working player with absolutely electric pace and good skill on the ball. There are kinks that he has to work on in game with regards his consistency but I'd believe things are coming off in training for him that is not being fully realised on the pitch with regards his ball striking and certain things he tries to pull off. We've seen certain games when it does that he is virtually unstoppable. No concerns about him switching off and not getting involved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would love both, can't see us getting either. Same with Rice. Would require more than could be expected of this group of players, or Woodward. We don't have the squad right now, that is capable of putting us in position to entice Maddison or Sancho.

We are going to struggle to make the top 4, and have no impact at all on the title race.

The poor summer has made signing Sancho and Maddison (or other young, ambitious players with plenty of clubs to chose from) much harder going forward. We needed to go big in the summer and make an impact on the top 4 to show United were heading back to competing at the top; the club didn't do nearly enough and that will show at the end of the season - and Sancho/Maddison will see a club that has little to no ambition of winning titles, and look elsewhere.

Summer 2019 is going to prove to be an extremely damaging summer in the long run, more so than other summers imo. United had the chance to hit the reset button and show real ambition, desire, and vision - and we've ended up making our attack and midfield poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Also rumours we will go back for Dybala in January as we will have time to look into the 3rd party image rights beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Would love both, can't see us getting either. Same with Rice. Would require more than could be expected of this group of players, or Woodward. We don't have the squad right now, that is capable of putting us in position to entice Maddison or Sancho.

We are going to struggle to make the top 4, and have no impact at all on the title race.

The poor summer has made signing Sancho and Maddison (or other young, ambitious players with plenty of clubs to chose from) much harder going forward. We needed to go big in the summer and make an impact on the top 4 to show United were heading back to competing at the top; the club didn't do nearly enough and that will show at the end of the season - and Sancho/Maddison will see a club that has little to no ambition of winning titles, and look elsewhere.

Summer 2019 is going to prove to be an extremely damaging summer in the long run, more so than other summers imo. United had the chance to hit the reset button and show real ambition, desire, and vision - and we've ended up making our attack and midfield poorer.

We will easily entice both Madison and Sancho.

Rice is Tom Cleverly.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    We will easily entice both Madison and Sancho.

Rice is Tom Cleverly.

The talk in the summer was Sancho didn't want to sign for United while out of the CL and uncertainty over their ability to compete for titles. I don't see situation being better next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The talk in the summer was Sancho didn't want to sign for United while out of the CL and uncertainty over their ability to compete for titles. I don't see situation being better next summer.

That wasn't the case. He will be a United player next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    That wasn't the case. He will be a United player next season.

Okay Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What exactly would "making an impact on the top 4" entail? Coming top two? Finishing third? Being in the title race regardless of where we finish?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What exactly would "making an impact on the top 4" entail? Coming top two? Finishing third? Being in the title race regardless of where we finish?

Being a favourite for top 4 through the season a d finishing comfortably with in it, way ahead of 5th place.

Showing that the club is building towards a title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Being a favourite for top 4 through the season a d finishing comfortably with in it, way ahead of 5th place.

Showing that the club is building towards a title challenge.
    Fair enough. Not sure what level of investment would have been needed to guarantee such an outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Anyone watching the Inter game?
    I’m stating to think that Ole may know what he’s doing. Lukaku has been poor and just missed a sitter. Sanchez an unused sub.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’m stating to think that Ole May know what he’s doing. Lukaku has been poor and just missed a sitter. Sanchez an unused sub.

Lukaku will go and score a couple with his next chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fair enough. Not sure what level of investment would have been needed to guarantee such an outcome.

It is still early days for players like James, but that transfer has demonstrated that United does have scouts. And from time to time they can identify players who improve the team immediately, fit into a longer term strategy and don't necessarily cost 100 million or more each.

A couple of midfielders to replace the ones we lost and a forward player would have been reasonable in giving us a very good shot at doing just that. Especially considering what spurs, Chelsea and arsenal did over the summer.

Instead we made or midfield worse and reduced any options we had up top.

Having finished 5th last season.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’m stating to think that Ole may know what he’s doing. Lukaku has been poor and just missed a sitter. Sanchez an unused sub.

Normal lukaku offers nothing in build up play, conte trying to use him as a target man at times which he has no interest in doing, misses sitter nothing new tbh

Normal lukaku offers nothing in build up play, conte trying to use him as a target man at times which he has no interest in doing, misses sitter nothing new tbh

Didn't watch the game but that sounds like conte is making same mistakes with him as jose did last season.

• kerplun k wrote: »

The issue was about replacing Lukaku though when he was let go.
    Which didn't happen.

The issue was about replacing Lukaku though when he was let go.
    Which didn't happen.

Do you think the club is fuked?

Didn't watch the game but that sounds like conte is making same mistakes with him as jose did last season.

Kind of he has Martinez closer to him, in a 2 he has a bit better but as a whole inter were played off the park, that might be a bit harsh they were certainly 2nd best to Prague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just watching some CL football and I’m in no way sorry united are not in it. I’m glad we have more scope to experiment in Europa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just watching some CL football and I’m in no way sorry united are not in it. I’m glad we have more scope to experiment in Europa.

I'm hoping we see Inter drop into the Europa league and face utd some time and we knock the feckers out

would make my season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »

****e in a bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’d love to have Zlatan for the latter stages of the Europa league for sure.

We are probably going to be around 6/7th in the league so another Europa cup is our best chance of CL football next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

I’d love to have Zlatan for the latter stages of the Europa league for sure.

We are probably going to be around 6/7th in the league so another Europa cup is our best chance of CL football next year.

Can't see zllatan with us

Can't see us winning the europa.

Any good news...;)

Do you think the club is fuked?

Can't be fuked already, not now that they are the fittest team in forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Interesting to see Barkley missing the penalty for Chelsea having convinced Jorginho & Willian he’d take it.

Wonder how much media attention this will get now compared to Pogba & Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Only reason Ibra would resign even on loan is if we are serious deep title contenders so he can add to his I won the title here there and everywhere list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I enjoyed tonight

would watch again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Llorente what a player we should have nabbed him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Headshot wrote: »
    I enjoyed tonight

would watch again

They're enjoyable every week. You don't have to put up with misery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement