Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’m thinking he’s probably more suited to a false 9.

A false one?

One that doesn't score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This has to be one of the worse utd European performances I've ever seen.

My heart goes out to the utd fans who paid to attend this match, they don't deserve this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

limnam wrote: »
    A false one?

One that doesn't score?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Rojo MOTM for me...

Referee for me for only adding on 2 minutes. Thank Christ that’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Just got in. 1-0. Hmmm. Rashford I am guessing hasn't done it. If he can't score a couple against this lot then he's not a forward. Full stop

Headshot wrote: »

My heart goes out to the utd fans who paid to attend this match, they don't deserve this crap

Dunno, Leicester was pretty woeful.

At least this one had the greenwood finish.

nevermind, just saw european :D:D

• Some positives

Greenwood, Fred, Jones and Tuanzebe had decent games

Negatives

Awful game to watch

Tactically terrible from Ole in almost every aspect
    I still don't see what the plan is in the final third
    It's slow and static and it's been going on since February
    A piece of individual brilliance from a youth player saved us from the draw
    Rashfords form and general constancy is just not good enough
    This is at home against one of the worst teams in this competition who actually had some half chances in the second half which could have been embarrassing

I would only imagine the rage if Jose was in charge of that game

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

unplayable wrote: »
    Very exciting team. Can’t see us hammering them tbh. I’ll go 1-0 win
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

On the one hand, having that may changes and youth players in the team it was a good win.
    However Astana are such a bad team, it has to go down as a poor result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Europa league is going to be such a drag this season. My god was that brutal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

ankles wrote: »
    Just got in. 1-0. Hmmm. Rashford I am guessing hasn't done it. If he can't score a couple against this lot then he's not a forward. Full stop

11-leave-britney-alone.w330.h330.jpg

STOP BASHING RASHFORD!!!!!!

unplayable wrote: »
    :cool:

You got the exciting part wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Our European performances have been that bad for years. Our last EL campaign was an awful watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

11-leave-britney-alone.w330.h330.jpg

STOP BASHING RASHFORD!!!!!!

Lololol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It pains me that we’re reliant on a 17 year old (albeit potential superstar) to beat Astana at Old Trafford

Still the same player were reliant on bringing into PL games to change the game, like vs Palace

Rashford was pïss poor again. Big chances missed. He needed this game to score and get his confidence up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

18 shots

8 on target

1 goal

Really need to fûcking sort this attack out. Playing at home vs Astana, come on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

An all too familiar laboured win. These boys are 3rd in the Khazak league and it took a piece of individual brilliance from a 17 year old to get us 3 points. Aside from the kids getting minutes, very little positives to take from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rashford went one man band again he is one of the best players we have but he needs to play the ball to others and make chances rather than take chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sold the one player we had who was a proven goal scorer.

Rashford went one man band again he is one of the best players we have but he needs to play the ball to others and make chances rather than take chances.

He misses far too many chances, he isn’t adept or cute enough to be a consistent creative threat when played centrally. He doesn’t possess the pace or flair to influence the game from wide positions... is it January yet ! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The utter cowardice from Jose in the CL against(was it against Valencia?)
    That was a shameful night for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

adox wrote: »
    Sold the one player we had who was a proven goal scorer.

Are we still going on about letting Fellaini go?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I enjoyed that game, not too often United play a team with 6 players 21 or younger.

Loads of changes yet it was a valuable game to get some time for likes of Fred, Rojo and Jones.

Thought Tuanzebe was really comfortable, had a great night. Surprised by Dalot's sharpness.

Obviously most intetesting thing to see was the really young guys get a chance to play. Delighted Greenwood got the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Was a horrible game to watch, but I think it wasn’t a total waste. The game answered some questions and we got the win, and gave youth players some valuable experience.

Rashford needs to take a look at himself and think about what type of player he wants to be. He’s looking less and less likely that he can play as a CF

Chong looks like a non starter. Would drop him for other fringe players or maybe give him one more chance. I dunno, very unconvinced after tonight.

Gomes had some nice flashes, I’d keep in for other games like this and see how he progresses.

Greenwood an obvious highlight.

Tuanzebe has potential. It was the right decision to get rid of Smalling or Jones to make room for this guy as back up.

The fringe back 4, and GK are very strong for a second string team.

There’s a good balance of youth and back up for the League Cup and EL games. Obviously some adjustments need to be made, but that’s what these game are all about, especially if you get a win as well. Personally I’d swap Chong for Mata, and drop Rashford to a deeper role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

DM_7 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that game, not too often United play a team with 6 players 21 or younger.

Loads of changes yet it was a valuable game to get some time for likes of Fred, Rojo and Jones.

Thought Tuanzebe was really comfortable, had a great night. Surprised by Dalot's sharpness.

Obviously most intetesting thing to see was the really young guys get a chance to play. Delighted Greenwood got the goal.

Saw a fair chunk of the first half and have the second half recorded but said I'd pop in to see the reaction/meltdown on here first.

First half was very positive I thought, given the team that went out imo. Some decent football bar the lack of goals.

adox wrote: »
    The utter cowardice from Jose in the CL against(was it against Valencia?)
    That was a shameful night for the club.

Was that the night he was screaming at them non stop to go forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If you have watched every game this season and genuinely believe we will finish above 5th you just cannot be helped, the Woodward syndrome has taken full effect.

The games speak for themselves, as much positive spin people will try to put on them. 9 wins in our last 25 competitive games. 27 from 75 points is relegation form, Cardiff went down last season with the same win ratio.

We have placed much of our faith and hopes for the next 5 years in Rashford and it is unravelling after 6 games, at the very least he is nowhere near ready for this and probably won’t be for another 3/4 years.. if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In Woodward we trust...

Or maybe not!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really can't see how people can be happy with performances recently, never mind going back to the rubbish we saw last season. No way you can watch the Leicester game or that tonight and tell me that team is playing well, some of the stuff I've been watching has been as bad as its ever been in the last few years.

Beyond that, I think tonights game was a good example of why going all in on the "yoof" is so inherently risky. "Go with Gomes and Chong, they are the next big thing!!!" Except that history has shown that no, they probably arent the next big thing, they are far more likely to be a Januzaj than a Ronaldo.

Yet we are going to be heavily reliant on all of them this season. Guess how that is going to end up...

If you have watched every game this season and genuinely believe we will finish above 5th you just cannot be helped, the Woodward syndrome has taken full effect.

The games speak for themselves, as much positive spin people will try to put on them. 9 wins in our last 25 competitive games. 27 from 75 points is relegation form, Cardiff went down last season with the same win ratio.

We have placed much of our faith and hopes for the next 5 years in Rashford and it is unravelling after 6 games, at the very least he is nowhere near ready for this and probably won’t be for another 3/4 years.. if ever.

Some don’t want to admit it but that summarizes it quite succinctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really can't see how people can be happy with performances recently, never mind going back to the rubbish we saw last season. No way you can watch the Leicester game or that tonight and tell me that team is playing well, some of the stuff I've been watching has been as bad as its ever been in the last few years.

Would it be to extreme to say we've gone backwards? To me this is like LVG all over again and probably worse.

To me Ole has alot to answer but your only papering over the cracks if he's fired as the board room are the cancer of the club

I love my club but you could not pay me to sit at Old Trafford and watch this awful utd team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Would it be to extreme to say we've gone backwards? To me this is like LVG all over again and probably worse.

To me Ole has alot to answer but your only papering over the cracks if he's fired as the board room are the cancer of the club

I love my club but you could not pay me to sit at Old Trafford and watch this awful utd team.

No I can see progression for sure. Very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

PARlance wrote: »
    Saw a fair chunk of the first half and have the second half recorded but said I'd pop in to see the reaction/meltdown on here first.

First half was very positive I thought, given the team that went out imo. Some decent football bar the lack of goals.

I agree with the positive description, 750 passes, 75% of the ball, 20 shots, 13 corners from a mostly B team.

Within the context of the team out there I thought it was a good day, the right approach, right use of the squad in a home group stage game.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I agree with the positive description, 750 passes, 75% of the ball, 20 shots, 13 corners from a mostly B team.

Within the context of the team out there I thought it was a good day, the right approach, right use of the squad in a home group stage game.

Absent any context I wouldn't worry much about it, B team out against poor cup opposition etc etc.

Its the context that makes it worrying. A team or B team we still can't attack worth a blue ****, we still can't break any teams down. We pinned a lot of hope on Rashford and he still doesn't look like he is capable of doing what we need. We put a lot of faith in the kids to make the step up, well here they are and actually no, they don't look like much at all. That might be harsh, but we can't afford them to come in and play like that, they are going to be needed this season.

I'm not going all chicken little here, its just one game. But its also yet another example of the issues that have characterized Ole's reign going right back to last January, and it is very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Absent any context I wouldn't worry much about it, B team out against poor cup opposition etc etc.

Its the context that makes it worrying. A team or B team we still can't attack worth a blue ****, we still can't break any teams down. We pinned a lot of hope on Rashford and he still doesn't look like he is capable of doing what we need. We put a lot of faith in the kids to make the step up, well here they are and actually no, they don't look like much at all. That might be harsh, but we can't afford them to come in and play like that, they are going to be needed this season.

I'm not going all chicken little here, its just one game. But its also yet another example of the issues that have characterized Ole's reign going right back to last January, and it is very worrying.

Plenty of chances were created tonight, plenty and from decent play too. It's a cliche, but on another night, it could have had 4 or 5.

Rashford isn't a 9, never will be imo. Ole has already realised he was wrong in backing him as a 9 last April. The evidence has been Martial being favoured there ahead of him this season. We also saw Ole switch Rashford to wide left at half time tonight, with Greenwood moved into 9. It may have taken longer than I liked but I think it's clear that he's seeing that it's not Rashford's position.
    If he has realised and it's still only September... then great, lets move on with Rashford on the left... his best position and a position where he can become real top player.

I think you are being harsh on the kids... Greenwood was very good, as was Gomes. They may be needed this season but our season won't hinge on them. Greenwood may stake a claim for himself possibly.

The only real negatives from tonight was the disappointing scoreline, Jones looking very poor and it's clear to see that Dalot doesn't really have a real defenders instincts (tbf, a quality lacking in a lot of younger FB/WB's these days). If Ole has now realised that even Greenwood is ahead of Rashford at 9, then it's a major positive to take from tonight.

(All that said, Rashford's chances in the first half were far from simple)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Greenwood took his goal well but I thought Homes was the pick of the bunch, yet to see anything on note from Chong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Gomes was brilliant his close ball control is great he deserves to start the weekend

If Martial is out the weekend Greenwood should be leading the line he will be full of confidence

I have never seen anything of Chong to think he will make it

Tuanzebe looked very comfortable but it was an easy night in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Greenwood looks like the only one who is ready for the step up now, from a physical perspective anyway.

Wasn't overly impressed with some of the performances last night but I'm not going to have a meltdown over it, I've seen plenty of poor European performances by United, pre and post Fergie and especially when a team with 9 changes gets fielded.

Felt like one step forward, two steps backwards with Fred this week.

I'd take Ashley Young over Rojo any day of the week and while he gets a lot of stick I think he's a very decent squad player to have right now.

A win at the weekend is pretty crucial and a comfortable win would be a real boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Rashford I think is a bit a of myth sadly. Has pace and has a high number of sprints in a game, but technically he is not that good . Not sure he will ever be a prolific goalscorer. Martial I think has better ability to become one but unsure he has the mentality to be one. Never seems desperate to score . Hopefully see more of Fred in the Premier League. Think he could become a decent option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think a lot of pre conceived notions are being achieved in here recently and people are so entrenched in their views that it's just going to become an echo chamber.

United have played well this season up to a point. That point is about 30 yards from goal where there appears to be a level of cluelessness or lack of intensity or something. This something is not new and actually affects a lot of teams going through transitions. The buildup play and defense have been good and United comfortably on top in the majority of games this season. There have been mistakes in midfield/defense but a team like United should be looking to get more than 1 goal a game to put a bit of a gap between them and opponents so hard to blame the defense bar probably the Palace game.

Last night wasn't good. When there are players who either haven't played or have been playing games at an U23 level or not at all it can be tough to raise the intensity I'd say. People have already made conclusions on players based around it which is unfair imo.

On the plus side: Rojo played with great intensity. A bit of a liability with his tackling but has this innate ability to get away with it so not so bad. Gomes looked good at taking the ball in at the 10 position and turning on it which will lead to chances if he's played there. Lingard came off the bench and immediately brought the intensity of attack up a level even if he was a bit erratic at times. Rashford was getting into positions to score even if it didn't come off for him. Dalot is back and looking a good outlet on the right even if he is prone to pointless crossing (probably learned at United).

I think there will be more long term benefits to this game than people realise but that is not something we can really quantify at the moment.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Rashford I think is a bit a of myth sadly. Has pace and has a high number of sprints in a game, but technically he is not that good . Not sure he will ever be a prolific goalscorer. Martial I think has better ability to become one but unsure he has the mentality to be one. Never seems desperate to score

The real issue is that Manchester United have spent 5 years and 353 senior games to get to that conclusion, and are going to spend another few years sticking with it just in case they are wrong.

• I want to see Fred start again on Sunday
    And Greenwood deserves a place on the bench
    Put Rashford out wide or something as it's the only place he can provide something to the team

Is Pogba available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Really?
    I was really disappointed with his close control at times. The series of events that led up to his yellow card were just one example of many where a poor touch led to him losing possession.

• Advertisement

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with his close control at times. The series of events that led up to his yellow card were just one example of many where a poor touch led to him losing possession.

He was Utd's best palyer

This comment here is bolox IMO (No offence) "Felt like one step forward, two steps backwards with Fred this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The real issue is that Manchester United have spent 5 years and 353 senior games to get to that conclusion, and are going to spend another few years sticking with it just in case they are wrong.

I think its more in hope that he will improve. Mourinho didnt have much faith in Rashford, I remember he was criticized for not playing him much. Solskjaer seems to think he can become a world class striker but he has only began working with players of this level for about 8 months compared to Mourinho's 10 years+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »

He had the ball with no options available and three opposition players around him, he tried to play his way out of it, and when he lost it he tried a tactical foul to stop the break. It actually helped as without that fell it was 2 on 2 and not 3 on 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

If the purpose of the Europa is to establish whether youth players are ready to step up and whether fringe players are deserving of a call up, that was an extremely useful exercise.

Rojo and Fred both played well. It serves as an indicator that they are worth considering for the Premier League.

I thought Dalot looked good for the most part, but the question of where to play him is a sticky one - long term I can see him in the midfield. Greenwood looks there or thereabouts in terms of readiness. Gomes and Tuanzebe are looking promising; I'm delighted as I thought Tuanzebe looked great a couple of years ago.

Equally, it served to show that Jones and Matic are no more than squad players. I'm a fan of Matic too, so that's a shame as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The midfield and attack needs so much work

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement