Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think its more in hope that he will improve. Mourinho didnt have much faith in Rashford, I remember he was criticized for not playing him much. Solskjaer seems to think he can become a world class striker but he has only began working with players of this level for about 8 months compared to Mourinho's 10 years+

Mourinho played Rashford plenty. More than he would normally play people of that age. He was trying to develop both Martial and Rashford but kept getting criticism for his methods. Martial I thought was more clinical under Jose than he'd been previously or since and some of Rashford's best games were late Mourinho. There are a lot of things you can judge José on but I think he had faith in those 2 and was pushing them to be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He was Utd's best palyer

This comment here is bolox IMO (No offence) "Felt like one step forward, two steps backwards with Fred this week.
    Fair enough. What I'll say is that my comment was a gross over simplification of what I felt while watching Fred's cameo on Saturday and yesterday's performance.

On Saturday when he came on and impressed it felt like he could be the solution to our gaping midfield problem. Put him in beside McT, push Pogba further forward etc.

Last night I saw some fundamental elements of his game that made me think he's not quite the answer to all our problems.

Maybe it's rustiness and maybe my expectations are too high for thinking Fred has the ability of being this missing piece of the puzzle but my optimism levels certainly dropped last night. Hence the one step forward, two steps backwards comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If the purpose of the Europa is to establish whether youth players are ready to step up and whether fringe players are deserving of a call up, that was an extremely useful exercise.

Rojo and Fred both played well. It serves as an indicator that they are worth considering for the Premier League.

I thought Dalot looked good for the most part, but the question of where to play him is a sticky one - long term I can see him in the midfield. Greenwood looks there or thereabouts in terms of readiness. Gomes and Tuanzebe are looking promising; I'm delighted as I thought Tuanzebe looked great a couple of years ago.

Equally, it served to show that Jones and Matic are no more than squad players. I'm a fan of Matic too, so that's a shame as far as I'm concerned.

I actually thought Matic dictated the play a fair bit last night. I would have only seen him as a squad player this year but as one of the most important squad players... to give McTominay rests here and there, to be a good model/leader for the younger lads.

I'd have no problem using him against the better teams when we're sitting deep.

Enjoyed watching Rojo last night. Whatever about the football, he's just entertaining to watch.

Thought Jones looked brutal out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Not much you can take from a game like that last night. Astana were very poor, couldn’t keep the ball at all. We’ll draw Football League sides in the cup this season that will have more quality than that.

If you were to say anything at all it’d be that we don’t know how to work the ball through teams that play two deep defensive lines at all, no matter how poor they are. It’s not just a problem restricted to Premier League sides we face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Never mind his wages last night summed up why we won't be able to sell Jones

A cruise ship turns quicker God he was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nuts102 wrote: »

"Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player"

Alex Ferguson. 2011.

Other than that time I'd say you're referring to when he got turned and made a recovery challenge. Something he is very good at.

The difference between United and the likes of City and Liverpool is that defenders get caught 1 on 1 so much more. Look at what happened to Laporte on one of the few occasions City didn't defend as a team/cynically foul when beaten. These situations happen to United 10 times as much because they don't press as a team and that creates space for the other team to get one on one with CBs. This creates a problem for any team and is something that should be addressed.

For that though you need a dedicated DM and United seem to be trying to get away with anyone in Midfield having license to break forward and not cover for marauding full backs which creates, you guessed it, more space for the other team to attack and makes them extremely susceptible to counter attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

Was hoping the fact that Matic started last night was a sign that Pogba was going to be fit. Not a great decision on Ole’s behalf given that Fred or McTominey would be far more suited to two games in 4 days than him.

Liam O wrote: »
    Other than that time I'd say you're referring to when he got turned and made a recovery challenge. Something he is very good at.

The difference between United and the likes of City and Liverpool is that defenders get caught 1 on 1 so much more. Look at what happened to Laporte on one of the few occasions City didn't defend as a team/cynically foul when beaten. These situations happen to United 10 times as much because they don't press as a team and that creates space for the other team to get one on one with CBs. This creates a problem for any team and is something that should be addressed.

For that though you need a dedicated DM and United seem to be trying to get away with anyone in Midfield having license to break forward and not cover for marauding full backs which creates, you guessed it, more space for the other team to attack and makes them extremely susceptible to counter attacks.

There was twice in the first half he was taken out of the game and allowed the attacking player through one on one, both through his usual schoolboy error of attempting to win unwinnable balls. In the Premier League you’ll more often than not concede from at least one of those. He’s a poor centre half that’s still making the same mistakes he was nearly 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

Twice I remember him being caught out and making his usual big lunge to recover which is why he gets so many injuries

He just can't do the basics correctly and is making the same mistakes he was as a teenager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

How anyone could defend the performances of Phil Jones is mind boggling. He would have cost us the game against a competent team, he was roasted on a couple of occasions against a very, very poor side. He is incapable of the basics and is only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Last nights game was hard to judge. That 11 had a lot of young lads and as a team have never played with each other before. That said, Astana were poor, very poor and we should have beaten them comfortably.

Rashford, could have had a hat trick. He at least got into great positions that a No.9 should, but the misses proved again he is probably better coming from the left and isnt a natural striker.

Greenwood, looks very assured. He has the physique to cope with this level and at 17 is an outstanding prospect. martial is out on Sunday so i'd like to see him start as a striker.

Gomes and Chong both did OK. Gomes was constantly looking for space but with a team sitting very deep it was difficult. These 2 probably need to go on loan or get more game time in the coming months. They have the ability, they just need to be playing at a higher level than the u23s now

I dont think anyone played badly last night but i was hoping for a lot more.

v3ttel wrote: »
    How anyone could defend the performances of Phil Jones is mind boggling. He would have cost us the game against a competent team, he was roasted on a couple of occasions against a very, very poor side. He is incapable of the basics and is only getting worse.

See it's stuff like this that is ridiculous. How he could have cost United a game where they scored 1 goal from 18 attempts and were sluggish in attack the whole game is just pure scapegoating. He didn't play well by any means but he hasn't played in a month and these guys, bad as they were are in the latter stages of their season so are going to be sharper.

Jones has shown in the past that he is very good when he has played a string of games. He's not played much the last year or so. Name one 3rd or 4th choice CB who comes in once a month and looks sharp as if they've played the previous 5? The defense had to play high last night and that can lead to quicker players gaining an advantage the odd time.

I'm not defending his performance as it was below par. People are acting like there is no other factors that may have contributed to that though. I could point at 2 or 3 preseason games where he was the best defender to deify him but I don't understand why a player has to be either really good or really bad, maybe it's just the internet?

damowill wrote: »
    Last nights game was hard to judge. That 11 had a lot of young lads and as a team have never played with each other before. That said, Astana were poor, very poor and we should have beaten them comfortably.

Rashford, could have had a hat trick. He at least got into great positions that a No.9 should, but the misses proved again he is probably better coming from the left and isnt a natural striker.

Greenwood, looks very assured. He has the physique to cope with this level and at 17 is an outstanding prospect. martial is out on Sunday so i'd like to see him start as a striker.

Gomes and Chong both did OK. Gomes was constantly looking for space but with a team sitting very deep it was difficult. These 2 probably need to go on loan or get more game time in the coming months. They have the ability, they just need to be playing at a higher level than the u23s now

I dont think anyone played badly last night but i was hoping for a lot more.

Gomes and Chong are world's apart from what I have seen

Gomes showed great touches and his ability to find space in tight situations is what we are lacking

I would like to see him in a game like Monday where I assume West Ham won't be parking the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Feel free to accuse me of jumping the gun here, but does Greenwood remind anyone else of RVP. His moments, technique and ball control reminded me a lot of RVP last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Thought Chong struggled last night. Looked like he wasn't physically strong enough to hold onto the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I would like to see him in a game like Monday where I assume West Ham won't be parking the bus

We are playing at 2 on Sunday, in case this catches you out.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Feel free to accuse me of jumping the gun here, but does Greenwood remind anyone else of RVP. His moments, technique and ball control reminded me a lot of RVP last night.

Something Hargreaves and Owen both alluded to in the post game analysis, due to his technique of faking and chopping it back to take a shot, and the ability to shoot and be accurate with power on both feet.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I took Rashford out of my FPL team. Expect it to start raining goals for him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Last night was the first time we have had back to back wins since March. Fookin hell.

VW 1 wrote: »
    We are playing at 2 on Sunday, in case this catches you out.

Was just testing somebody actually cares to read my posts ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Chong was very bad last night. 3/10 in the MEN

Too lightweight, little skill shown, not enough pace, doesn't beat a man or pick passes. Least likely of the three played last night to make it, by some distance for me. not sure what it is exactly he offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

HOT TAKE from Jamie O'Hara

United are not as good as when they had Keane, Scholes and Rooney.

Where can I subscribe to this man's newsletter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

HOT TAKE from Jamie O'Hara

United are not as good as when they had Keane, Scholes and Rooney.

Where can I subscribe to this man's newsletter?

It was basic stuff really. "Teams don't fear United any more", as if that hasn't been true for a long time now. Why fear a team that is so trivially easy to set up against, just sit deep and watch as they sweep the ball left and right with zero cutting edge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It was basic stuff really. "Teams don't fear United any more", as if that hasn't been true for a long time now. Why fear a team that is so trivially easy to set up against, just sit deep and watch as they sweep the ball left and right with zero cutting edge..
    Exactly. Fear is built through winning. Nobody feared Liverpool until the last couple of seasons. When Pep steps off and City go through a transition, people won't fear them as much either. **** tier punditry as per.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

This is how I would line up vs westham if the same players are missing

McTominay - Matic or Pereira - Fred

Lingard or Mata

Greenwood - Rashford

A bit more narrow but the players still have the option to go wide if needed.

Would probably go with Lingard if Matic plays and Mata if Pereira plays.

Given that we are already down some players I certainly wouldnt be risking Pogba or James by rushing them back too early.

If the purpose of the Europa is to establish whether youth players are ready to step up and whether fringe players are deserving of a call up, that was an extremely useful exercise.

Rojo and Fred both played well. It serves as an indicator that they are worth considering for the Premier League.

I thought Dalot looked good for the most part, but the question of where to play him is a sticky one - long term I can see him in the midfield. Greenwood looks there or thereabouts in terms of readiness. Gomes and Tuanzebe are looking promising; I'm delighted as I thought Tuanzebe looked great a couple of years ago.

Equally, it served to show that Jones and Matic are no more than squad players. I'm a fan of Matic too, so that's a shame as far as I'm concerned.

Play dalot rb play van bisska defensive midfield then play 8 strilers ahead of him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Is there potential in Dalot to be more of a winger than defender, if he was played further forward more often? Seems fit to take on a man and get ball into the box. Delivery not 100% but that's nothing new with the crossing to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Is there potential in Dalot to be more of a winger than defender, if he was played further forward more often? Seems fit to take on a man and get ball into the box. Delivery not 100% but that's nothing new with the crossing to be fair.

Makes a change from using wingers as full backs , breaking a trend, reverse psychology. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Few bizarre video of Mason Greenwood leaking on twitter today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Berbatov has officially retired today.

He might have looked slow and disinterested but jèsus the control, touch and finishing ability he had was insane.

berba2nd.gif

R9eSS6.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was a wing back yesterday, could stay wide and had an attacker going inside to make that space for him, did not have much defending to do. Hard to know what he would be like if a had a defender behind him and it was his job to move inside a lot and leave space for the full back.

He certainly looks good at getting up the pitch wide from full back.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Few bizarre video of Mason Greenwood leaking on twitter today

With his missus, in the car? It was around a week ago.. always got to be careful what gets online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

secman wrote: »
    Makes a change from using wingers as full backs , breaking a trend, reverse psychology. :)

Sure every option must be explored :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

7 games in 23 days coming up. Hopefully we'll score more than a goal a game in these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

7 games in 23 days coming up. Hopefully we'll score more than a goal a game in these.

Jesus, I just noticed that we haven't scored more than a goal in any game since opening day v Chelsea and not exactly against elite teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Roy Keane has joined Sky Sports.

A reason in itself not to watch before or after the 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Roy Keane has joined Sky Sports.

A reason in itself not to watch before or after the 90 mins.

Just shows that in general people are more interested in hearing from people like Keane and their take on things.

I agree with you btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Keane's aura is long gone. Just another rent-a-mouth who says stuff for headlines or to take bitter potshots.

Not an ounce of substance to the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I agree but I think he says what a lot of us are thinking about those United players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree but I think he says what a lot of us are thinking about those United players

Exactly.

Very Same thing happened with Jose when he said exactly what most fans thought and wanted. We wanted more signings and the players were never good enough to mount a proper title challange. Yet when Jose said it, people whinged that he should shut up and put up.

There is such a weird reaction from people to pundits or managers who may divide opinion. Quite often people attack the speaker (cause they don’t like them) instead of discussing what they are saying. Happens in politics aswell to be fair.

I’ve stayed away from here a lot. I’m finding it hard to bury my major concerns that I’ve had since Ole was appointed but don’t want to troll the thread with negativity. The one positive is the summer transfer signings who thus far look good buys. But that’s it. Nothing else points to anything good happening anytime soon and that would be fine if we had an experienced/successful manager and/or board to trust. But we don’t. We have a likable manager with no credentials to make us confident he can do what more experienced managers could not. We have owners who have done nothing to change anything meaningful or that we can point to that suggests things will be different.

I will still watch and cheer on the team and hope that in spite of all the warning signs it all somehow works out in a Mr Bean kind of way.

He’s great for TV channels in this era of creating short clips and throwing them out on social media.

“Jamie Carragher thinks Jordan Henderson is the greatest midfielder of all time, you won’t believe how Keane responds”

• Adamcp898 wrote: »
    He’s great for TV channels in this era of creating short clips and throwing them out on social media.

“Jamie Carragher thinks Jordan Henderson is the greatest midfielder of all time, you won’t believe how Keane responds”

Absolutely, Sky is just as bad as The Sun

Clickbait bull****e

Even if that’s true, I think it always does more harm than good. If you look at some of the popular Liverpool pundits, they always back the team and players.

Look at some of the comments from Scholes, Keane and the likes, they are always negative, and it doesn’t do the team any good. I always maintain that if Depay signed for Liverpool instead of us, he’d be still in England and he would be considered a good player.

I’ve often accused the Liverpool pundits of being deluded, especially in the past when they weren’t contenders, but at least they always backed their team, taking any unnecessary pressure off the team and players, whereas it seems that our former players do the opposite and give the guys struggling a hard time. I mean it’s not like Frimino got off to a flyer.

The fact is, pundits do have an influence on the media, mangers and press, and in turn, the media have an influence on referees, something which Clattenburg admitted in 2017,
    There should have been three red cards to Tottenham. I allowed them Spurs to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: ‘Tottenham lost the title’.

If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? ‘Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title

I think some of our former players should be a bit more biased when it comes to defending some of our players. At the very minimum they should stop sticking the boot in when the chips are down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Even if that’s true, I think it always does more harm than good. If you look at some of the popular Liverpool pundits, they always back the team and players.

Look at some of the comments from Scholes, Keane and the likes, they are always negative, and it doesn’t do the team any good. I always maintain that if Depay signed for Liverpool instead of us, he’d be still in England and he would be considered a good player.

I’ve often accused the Liverpool pundits of being deluded, especially in the past when they weren’t contenders, but at least they always backed their team, taking any unnecessary pressure off the team and players, whereas it seems that our former players do the opposite and give the guys struggling a hard time. I mean it’s not like Frimino got off to a flyer.

The fact is, pundits do have an influence on the media, mangers and press, and in turn, the media have an influence on referees, something which Clattenburg admitted in 2017,

I think some of our former players should be a bit more biased when it comes to defending some of our players. At the very minimum they should stop sticking the boot in when the chips are down.

Ex United and Liverpool players still have passion for their clubs and obviously still support them.

The difference between the two clubs right now is night and day though so why shouldn't they be allowed vent their frustration at the terrible decision making at United over the past 7 years? They're fans at the end of the day like you and I.

You only have to go on here Thursday night to feel the frustration towards Summer decision making and our current crop of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I totally disagree. If things that a pundit or former footballer of your club affects your performance to the point that you play poor ,maybe you aren’t cut out for the elite level of the game?. Seriously , one of the things that separates top players from players or equal ability is application , drive and mental strength. You are advocating junk punditry so players feelings aren’t hurt!!! Fuppin Hell.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I totally disagree. If things that a pundit or former footballer of your club affects your performance to the point that you play poor , that’s pretty weak mental strength you must have. Seriously , one of the things that separates top players from players or equal ability is application , drive and mental strength. You are advocating junk punditry so players feelings aren’t hurt!!! Fuppin Hell.

Nothing to do with anyones feelings, as I pointed out, these guys have an influence on players and in some cases refs. For instance, Daniel James getting 2 yellows in two games for essentially getting kicked around the pitch is a disgrace. Why are none of our guys coming out and talking about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement