Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

derossi wrote: »
    Ill say again, what have the Glazers an why blame them. They have always provided cash for top players and wages. No issue of signing a top player,,,so why glazer out?

Because they haven’t put 1c of their own fortune into the club. They are leeches and will sell when/if the club stops generating them dividends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ill say again, what have the Glazers an why blame them. They have always provided cash for top players and wages. No issue of signing a top player,,,so why glazer out?

Who created the shyt storm by not backing Jose in the transfer window the summer after our best finish since SAF left?

Who gave Ole a full time job?

Who has saddled the club with massive debts while siphoning off tens of millions from the club?

Who has zero experience in running a football club yet persists with not putting the required structures in place for running the off field, football matters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

As long as the Glazers at are the helm, United will not be a team challenging for the title.

They see the PL title as a hinderance as it would take too much investment for little reward.

Qualifying for the CL is where they can make the most money, pushing on to challenge City and Liverpool would take significant investment for no guarantee.

For that reason, we’re a top 4, top 6 team and for us fans who have been relatively used to success and challenging over the last 25 odd years, that’s not good enough.

One of the richest clubs in the world so there’s no shortage of money. Barca or Real Madrid wouldn’t ever be in this position as they’re football clubs. United is run as a business and money making scheme.

The only upside I have for the weekend is that following Arsenals win today I've won the football buster at work and am about €400 better off, nice end to the turd sandwich of a footballing day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don’t know what Jones says in that video but Woodward definitely says “we’re on camera, stop”

Does he say “laps in the morning”? Or ”sacked in the morning”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

They see the PL title as a hinderance as it would take too much investment for little reward.

Qualifying for the CL is where they can make the most money, pushing on to challenge City and Liverpool would take significant investment for no guarantee.

I don't even think qualifying for the CL matters too much to them in the short term. I think they are happy enough that the club remains a soap opera/in the media spotlight, keep the clicks/interest coming.

Once the transfer window closed the pattern for the season was decided, defense improved on last season, front 6 (full squad options) were weakened to the level of teams vying for positions 6-10 in the PL.

So I don't get too excited by sneaking a win v Leicester as ultimately it doesn't matter in the grander scheme and today is probably as expected given our expected goals return this season based on the front 6 options.

We will create and score little this season as per squad design. Once in a while there'll be a blip where we hit someone for 3 or 4 but we'll average barely over a goal a game for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I don’t know what Jones says in that video but Woodward definitely says “we’re on camera, stop”

Does he say “laps in the morning”? Or ”sacked in the morning”

Which video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Woodward is the biggest problem, but at the end of the day, if the Glaziers weren't happy with the job he's doing, they'd have sacked him. That's why I get frustrated with the Glaziers. They either aren't paying attention to the **** job he's doing, or they don't think he's doing an awful job. By not removing Woodward, they are letting the level we're at become set in stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It’s amazes me how the general football public do not realise what has gone on at Manchester United at the highest level over the last 15 years?!

In a nutshell in that timeframe the Glazer family have siphoned over £1bn out of the club, while across the City Sheik Mansour has invested over £1bn of his own money into their club.

It’s not rocket science that the land lies the way it does now in the premier league.

For Utd fans it’s scandalous what has happened to the club.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1175776029123760128

Given Stone is Woodward's mouth piece, its interesting to see the blame for that being shifted squarely onto Ole's shoulders.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Given Stone is Woodward's mouth piece, its interesting to see the blame for that being shifted squarely onto Ole's shoulders.

Thought the exact same when I saw that tweet earlier too. Laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

“You know what I would really appreciate?.. If you sold my one , senior, most recognized striker and didn’t replace him” said no manager ever...

Biggest shame is that the bullsh*t PR that protects the owners/Woodward is more effective then their ability to run the club. We all knew Ole was hired as a human shield for that shower, stuff like this only really reaffirms it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Woodward is the biggest problem, but at the end of the day, if the Glaziers weren't happy with the job he's doing, they'd have sacked him. That's why I get frustrated with the Glaziers. They either aren't paying attention to the **** job he's doing, or they don't think he's doing an awful job. By not removing Woodward, they are letting the level we're at become set in stone.

This.

Theres only one performance Glazers are worried about:
    https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/267735/revenue-of-manchester-united.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why wouldn't it be? I genuinely think that it was Ole's decision. Woodward might be incompetent but if Ole wanted to keep any player in that squad then I think he would have been allowed to keep him.

It was Ole who marginalised Lukaku last season, not Woodward. Woodward might have signed the final paperwork but it was Ole who created the situation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are far more likely to come 12th than we are 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I've fallen out of love with the game the last few years. Its become such a hollow sport driven by nothing but money and greed.

I think you're conflating falling out of love with Utd for the way it has and is being run since Sir Alex retired and football in general. Yes there is more greed and self serving (players, agents and even managers) behaviour than ever before but there are still fantastic stories which have nothing to do with money or greed such as Norwich or Sheffield Utd that should keep all football fans regardless of their club loyalty watching games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why wouldn't it be? I genuinely think that it was Ole's decision. Woodward might be incompetent but if Ole wanted to keep any player in that squad then I think he would have been allowed to keep him.

It was Ole who marginalised Lukaku last season, not Woodward. Woodward might have signed the final paperwork but it was Ole who created the situation.

And when do you think Ole would of told Woodward that he didn’t want Lukaku and would need a replacement? It’s not rocket science, you don’t have to be a world class manager to see how United’s options up front would be stretched with Lukaku gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

As an out ans out goalscorer Rashford is championship standard what a con but he can run fast

• Advertisement

To be fair to Ole I think he did say in an interview that Lukaku would be replaced if he left, which would indicate to me Woody failed to get a replacement, wasted time on Dybala possibly.

They knew very early in the year that Lukaku wasn’t part of the plans which is the worst part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Even after the window closed they could have tried for Llorente but maybe they did and he wasn't interested. Started off great at Napoli anyway. And happy to be a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Offering Rashford a mammoth contract was madness. What exactly has he achieved to earn it? Also as said if they knew for a while Lukaku was to be sold I dont understand why a replacement wasn't lined up. To think Greenwood could step up to be a 20 goal a season striker is ridiculous. Ole was thinking thaty the goals woul be spread around but thats a huge gamble.

I don’t think there is a club in the world that would have given Rashford north of 150k a week, naturally we gave him 100k over that for whatever reason.

He used Martial as leverage which is where the problem stems, Martial should have been sold over his demands if anybody would have bought him, I remember Spurs sniffing around but again they would have offered him half the wages we did.

Both of those contracts will screw us in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Think the Rashford abuse is a bit harsh, the rest of the team havent played well, especially the defense. With the amount of money invested in that backline, id guess 60-70% of our investment they still look lethargic. Maguire just stood standing watching yarmolenko recieve the pass.
    DeGea's weak hand letting in that FK, Mata's sitter.

Regarding Rashford, its obvious he's better out wide and i think Ole's plan is to have Martial as our number 9.

This **** is not great for sure but its not all down to Rashford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

54and56 wrote: »
    I think you're conflating falling out of love with Utd for the way it has and is being run since Sir Alex retired and football in general. Yes there is more greed and self serving (players, agents and even managers) behaviour than ever before but there are still fantastic stories which have nothing to do with money or greed such as Norwich or Sheffield Utd that should keep all football fans regardless of their club loyalty watching games.

I agree to a certain level alright its nice to see these other clubs doing well! I dunno I just don't feel same about football I wish I still loved it like I did! Ha.

I actually watch a lot of older games and clips online these days. Not just United football in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Think the Rashford abuse is a bit harsh, the rest of the team havent played well, especially the defense. With the amount of money invested in that backline, id guess 60-70% of our investment they still look lethargic. Maguire just stood standing watching yarmolenko recieve the pass.
    DeGea's weak hand letting in that FK, Mata's sitter.

Regarding Rashford, its obvious he's better out wide and i think Ole's plan is to have Martial as our number 9.

This **** is not great for sure but its not all down to Rashford.

It’s not down to Rashford, it’s down to the club ensuring they leave us with one and only striker, sorry forward Rashford who averages one goal in four, who creates fûck all, forges a career by living in the pockets of average defenders and is about as much of a threat as throwing a polo mint at a fûcking bear, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lukaku refused to return to training, he went on stirke, Ole and the club had little choice but to get rid of him. The player no longer wanted to put on the jersey, simple as that.

If they forced him to stay it would have been a bad energy to have around the squad especially among the younger players.

Lukaku refused to return to training, he went on stirke, Ole and the club had little choice but to get rid of him. The player no longer wanted to put on the jersey, simple as that.

If they forced him to stay it would have been a bad energy to have around the squad especially among the younger players.

Yeap. One day, Lukaku went “ya know, life is good but I think I’ll down tools without provocation”.

Certainly wasn’t that he was told he was going to be number two behind Rashford, and if he wasn’t happy, he was free to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Also for Ole to think Martial can be come a consistent scorer in the number 9 position. Give me a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Yeap. One day, Lukaku went “ya know, life is good but I think I’ll down tools without provocation”.

Certainly wasn’t that he was told he was going to be number two behind Rashford, and if he wasn’t happy, he was free to leave.

Well if he was told that there were better ways to deal with it.

Agreed, but that situation had being coming to a head. Plus before him being sold we actually needed an increase of forwards to compliment him...STILL we signed no forward attacking player...NOBODY who automatically and immediately was going to score goals for us.... it’s really just not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

So far it looks like a great decision for Lukaku to force his way out of the club, I think he seen what was coming at Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'll ignore the sarcastic over simplification first line but even if he was told that it was not without its reasons.

He was bad for us. Martial, and Greenwood are both injured and would have come on today. Its just the usual overreaction to a loss we get on here, with the what was Ole thinking in selling Lukaku. Ole cant control injuries and players wanting out of the club and lets not forget the slating Lukaku would get in here on the regular, he had some terrible performances for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads, missed the game today thankfully. Were we really as bad as made out? It's depressing at this stage.

He shouldn't have went on strike but he was poorly treated by Ole last season and was reduced to a bit part player role by a player that showed little to warrant that kind of faith. Ole has obviously pinned his hat on Rashford and has the romantic idea of creating his own version of the class of 92 but at this point in time Rashford looks more like another Wellbeck than anything else, he tries hard, is a product of the academy, has occasionally had barnstorming performances but ultimately is not good enough for a team with any notions of challenging for the big trophies.

I'll ignore the sarcastic over simplification first line but even if he was told that it was not without its reasons.

He was bad for us. Martial, and Greenwood are both injured and would have come on today. Its just the usual overreaction to a loss we get on here, with the what was Ole thinking in selling Lukaku. Ole cant control injuries and players wanting out of the club and lets not forget the slating Lukaku would get in here on the regular, he had some terrible performances for us.

Our top scorer for the last two seasons was bad for us.

Then what the hell would you say about Rashford et al?

And you talking about over simplification.

Go way outta that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Wilfried Bony and Leon Best are free agents.. Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

I agree to a certain level alright its nice to see these other clubs doing well! I dunno I just don't feel same about football I wish I still loved it like I did! Ha.

I actually watch a lot of older games and clips online these days. Not just United football in general.

It's easy when you're winning, a real fan will stick around.

Our top scorer for the last two seasons was bad for us.

Then what the hell would you say about Rashford et al?

And you talking about over simplification.

Go way outta that lad.

Well he's going to be top scorer if he's starting every game. He was aboslute dog **** for us not in comparison to Rashford, just in general.
    He was given a right old slating on this forum while here. Overweight, terrible touch, didnt have the best finishes, went on strike basically and didnt show any effort to get back in the team when droppes.

A real comparison would have Rashford play as the main striker for 2 seasons, they'd be an argument to made then.

Not sticking up for rashford just this comparison ****e is chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Number 2 behind Rashford and yet Martial started the season first choice CF? Lukaku was never good enough for what United want. It is a travesty that he wasn't replaced but getting rid was the right move. I wonder how it worked out in the alternative timeline where United signed Aubameyang over him...

There are people in here moaning about “throwing toys out of the pram”. That would be the case if it were a couple of years since we won a league title. It’s coming up to a decade and beyond, that’s unforgivable, the richest club in the world.

In the last 15 years Chelsea have finished outside the top 3 just 3 times, we’ve finished outside the top 3 5 of the last 6 seasons, 6 in 7 if you include this season because there’s not a hope we are finishing in the top 4.

Drumpot wrote: »
    And when do you think Ole would of told Woodward that he didn’t want Lukaku and would need a replacement?
    What do I think Ole told Woodward? Some variation on this:
    billyhead wrote: »
    To think Greenwood could step up to be a 20 goal a season striker
    Ole has obviously pinned his hat on Rashford and has the romantic idea of creating his own version of the class of 92

We all assume that Ole demanded new strikers and that Woodward did not provide, but I just wonder if things played out a little differently. That Ole wanted to get rid of players and also was not interested in certain available replacements because he completely overvalued the potential and abilities of the younger players.

Its actually what plenty of people described this summer as being, getting rid of the deadwood and starting a rebuild based around the young players. Except that it was always a ****ing pipe dream and mixing those unproven young players with a squad of long term failures was always going to end in tears.

But it is what Ole wanted. I think a different manager would have tried to keep the likes of Herera and Lukaku and would have been facilitated in doing so. I think a more experienced manager would have pushed harder for more attackers instead of happily sticking with the young guns, and would have gotten somebody, but does anybody really think Ole wanted the likes of Llorente anywhere near his team?

I think Oles fingerprints are all over the current state of that squad. He had a dream of all these young kids magically turning into title winners 3/4 years down the line and made that his plan. And it was stupid, because cold reality means he will be long gone before that ever comes to pass.

He shouldn't have went on strike but he was poorly treated by Ole last season and was reduced to a bit part player role by a player that showed little to warrant that kind of faith. Ole has obviously pinned his hat on Rashford and has the romantic idea of creating his own version of the class of 92 but at this point in time Rashford looks more like another Wellbeck than anything else, he tries hard, is a product of the academy, has occasionally had barnstorming performances but ultimately is not good enough for a team with any notions of challenging for the big trophies.

Thing is the class of 92 had the likes of Bryan Robson, Cantona, Bruce, Pallister, Hughes, McClair, Ince, Kanchelskis to look up tp, try to emulate try to get to play with.

Players with a tonne of ability, personality, will to win at all costs and trophies all ready stacked in the cabinet. A great example.

Now these young guys have DeGea, Maguire, mata, Martial ? That’s about fûckin it.

Ole cant control injuries and players wanting out of the club

Yeah, who could have forseen the effect injures might have, why on earth would those have needed to be taken into account, thats just crazy talk!

And as for players wanting out of the club, well, no manager has ever had any part to play in that scenario, none whatsoever.

Also, it was not pointed out literally dozens of times in this forum that injuries were going to be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Jose was right when he said lukaku was better than rashford as a number 9. Still don't think lukaku or rashford are good enough to get the job done..martial isn't the answer either.. we have a great keeper, good back four, pogba and James..everyone else just isn't good enough..Mata, matic, lingard, mctominnay, Fred, Pereira.. rashford..
    Greenwood it's to early to judge him..

It was interesting seeing garragher almost defend the team today saying he felt Liverpool were similar till suaraz came in..

Rashford has had five seasons now...he's not going to get any better..

We need at least three quality players to get us more goals ASAP...which is probably next summer...don't think ole will be there till end of the season... putting someone else in now would make no difference..we need a creative midfielder and a 30 goal a season man up front..

I don't think anything is overreacting or new... It was a bad risk to sell lukaka without a replacement.. evn though I hated him he'd score enough goals to keep us scratching about the top four... If we can't breakdown the likes of Astana then it's going to be a long season

Also just on transfers, I don’t think Declan Rice, James Maddison and Sancho are the way to go

Signing the England team when we can’t sign their 4 best players in Kane, Sterling, TAA and Stones is stupid, it’s not like England are winning world cups either.

It’s a silly transfer policy, fair enough signing the best of the English talent but signing a load of above average England internationals for mad money and finishing 6th sounds like something that would happen to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Also just on transfers, I don’t think Declan Rice, James Maddison and Sancho are the way to go

Signing the England team when we can’t sign their 4 best players in Kane, Sterling, TAA and Stones is stupid, it’s not like England are winning world cups either.

It’s a silly transfer policy, fair enough signing the best of the English talent but signing a load of above average England internationals for mad money and finishing 6th sounds like something that would happen to us.

Stones one of England's best players lol

We need two strikers and two quality attacking and creative midfielders. I’d like if we could get back to 4-4–1-1 with a lethal forward and say Martial just in behind..

Pogba and a Keane-esq player in midfield and two proper wingers. Back four isn’t too shabby, we just need a midfield with cutting edge, creativity and the ability to dominate play and the opposition, Martial and say Mandzukic up front would warm my cockles, midfield is a harder fix.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Thing is the class of 92 had the likes of Bryan Robson, Cantona, Bruce, Pallister, Hughes, McClair, Ince, Kanchelskis to look up tp, try to emulate try to get to play with.

Players with a tonne of ability, personality, will to win at all costs and trophies all ready stacked in the cabinet. A great example.

Now these young guys have DeGea, Maguire, mata, Martial ? That’s about fûckin it.

Souness made that same point today and you couldnt disagree with him although i do 90% of the time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement