Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don't think we could have gotten bissaka, Maguire and James along with three attacking players in the same transfer window.. I'd rather have the solid defense and goalkeeper we have now than a good striker and terrible defense..it's not going to be a great season but if we sign three quality players next summer I'd be happy enough. In fairness the current approach makes sense longer term.. it's just going to be painful short term.. now if they don't buy quality further up the pitch then I'll be first one looking for a change. If you look at Liverpool even with the great attack things didn't start to work until they sorted out their goalkeeper and defense.. we have that end right just the attack is lacking

I’d rather we’d concede two goals and have the ability to score two or three, then be as we are now, struggling to score one, against very average opposition..

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jose had to do a complete rebuild himself though and was left with a lot of stuff from 3 previous managers that wasn't good enough, and as doing it with one hand tied pretty much. Pogba was a commercial purchase. But not a Mourinho player, but probably something he agreed to knowing there is talent there. That they finished 2nd and won 2 trophies was a minor miracle.

When they were bringing in Jose, they shouldv'e been giving him the reigns so he good move whomever he wanted out and then a budget and a wage structure and say it's your decision, but within these parameters. Instead there is a massivey bloated scouting dept from the past 4 regimes, each overrulling each other, some guys who are great at commercial deals but who don't know how to negotiate transfers and just terrible mismanagement of the organisation.

Mourinho had a terrible start, but this is going further back. 6 wins in 20. Some of those were complete flukes too. Even when Ole was on a good run, a lot of it was not actually particurly good football, but there was a good feelgood factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Show us an example where a team has bought six top player's in one window? Sure we could have spent 80 million on a striker instead of Maguire...I'd rather have Maguire and suffer q season and buy more then

U0AWais.png

U2Z3AqT.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Incorrect, this time last season we had 6 points after the same amount of games played, less goals scored and more goals conceded. We are pretty much the same or slightly better and thats after a clearout.

It's hilarious how Jose is often referenced after defeats like he is somehow vindicated. The rose tinted glasses are well and truly on. You should go back and watch the game away to West Ham last season. The football is worse? you must be joking, like I said less goals scored and more goals conceded at this time last season.

After almost half a billion spend Jose's footballing plan didn't have any shape, like yesterday it looked aimless. What was his plan? Have you forgotten the Sevilla match. West Ham away. Brighton away. We would play boring ineffective football for 75mins and then bring on Fellaini to play hoof ball to him for the last 15mins. That was in his third season and after huge amounts of spending.

Mid table? Jose had us on course for this type of finish, a worse start than Moyes in his last season. Nobodies happy about the current situation and the way things have gone post Fergie and who knows if Ole is up to the job but the situations aren't comparable. Ole is attempting to rebuild and promote more youth. I don expect us to be competitive for a couple of seasons until this has been attempted, who knows if the board will give him time.

Something people conveniently forget is that Jose's fingerprints are still all over this squad. He spent 100m on Matic and Fred, he said on air yesterday Lindelof isn't great in the air. Another one of his purchases.

Jose has no right to be smug on Sky or else where. He did a terrible job, had a terrible attitude and was rightly turfed out

Yes..........lets just rewrite history to suit your agenda.

2019/2020
    -6 games played
    -8 points
    -8 goals scored

2018/2019
    -6 games played
    -10 points
    -9 goals scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Incorrect, this time last season we had 6 points after the same amount of games played, less goals scored and more goals conceded. We are pretty much the same or slightly better and thats after a clearout.

It's hilarious how Jose is often referenced after defeats like he is somehow vindicated. The rose tinted glasses are well and truly on. You should go back and watch the game away to West Ham last season. The football is worse? you must be joking, like I said less goals scored and more goals conceded at this time last season.

After almost half a billion spend Jose's footballing plan didn't have any shape, like yesterday it looked aimless. What was his plan? Have you forgotten the Sevilla match. West Ham away. Brighton away. We would play boring ineffective football for 75mins and then bring on Fellaini to play hoof ball to him for the last 15mins. That was in his third season and after huge amounts of spending.

Mid table? Jose had us on course for this type of finish, a worse start than Moyes in his last season. Nobodies happy about the current situation and the way things have gone post Fergie and who knows if Ole is up to the job but the situations aren't comparable. Ole is attempting to rebuild and promote more youth. I don expect us to be competitive for a couple of seasons until this has been attempted, who knows if the board will give him time.

Something people conveniently forget is that Jose's fingerprints are still all over this squad. He spent 100m on Matic and Fred, he said on air yesterday Lindelof isn't great in the air. Another one of his purchases.

Jose has no right to be smug on Sky or else where. He did a terrible job, had a terrible attitude and was rightly turfed out

Exactly this. Excellent post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

2019/2020
    -6 games played
    -8 points
    -8 goals scored

2018/2019
    -6 games played
    -10 points
    -9 goals scored

:pac:

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2019/2020
    -6 games played
    -8 points
    -8 goals scored

2018/2019
    -6 games played
    -10 points
    -9 goals scored

Get away with those facts.

I’m just looking forward to the next excuse the lads have.

Next up, how Ole teams are fitter...............

• Incredible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Can we all at least agree we are ****e... regardless of the history or how we got here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Get away with those facts.

I’m just looking forward to the next excuse the lads have.

Next up, how Ole teams are fitter...............

It's okay that things are worse because it's a rebuild is the excuse

I am fine with a rebuild but where are the positives that can be taken

We have no fit striker after depleting the squad

We have no plan b option after selling Fellaini

We have no leader since we sold Herrera

Our manager has the worst win record of a United manager

The managers subs are baffling to say the least

Talk of youth but Greenwood is being played out of position and despite Gomes being great on Thursday he got 10 minutes yesterday

The football is horrible to watch and we were scoring more under Jose

Bar running fast I can't see any positive at the moment

The club is in freefall may struggle for europa league , sponsors are going to drop out and players won't want to come

This is season could set United back years but it's grand because it's a rebuild honestly I just can't understand anybody excusing this it is just baffling blind faith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Let's swallow our pride and bring back Jose. Roy number 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Maybe zlatan might come back.. he's actually get us over the hump... The only other relatively quick fix I could see is poch coming in January and bringing Erikson and Kane with him... We'd look a significantly different team then... Rashford would be perfect to play off the likes of kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Let's swallow our pride and bring back Jose. Roy number 2.

I know your joking but I was thinking about the same yesterday myself.

Jose would only return if Woodward and the Glazers decided they wanted to compete at the top, even then you could hardly trust them.

• beno619 wrote: »
    I know your joking but I was thinking about the same yesterday myself.

Jose would only return if Woodward and the Glazers decided they wanted to compete at the top, even then you could hardly trust them.

Watching him yesterday I actually think he still looked quite gutted over the whole situation.

I always believed it's the job he wanted the most in his entire career.

Nothing he said yesterday was disrespectful IMO. But again I'm being trying to find out what the story is with the non disclosure agreement in place since his contract was terminated.

LVG had his say in July this year when I think it expired.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united--interview-buy-players-rooney-tactics-solskjaer

Watching him yesterday I actually think he still looked quite gutted over the whole situation.

Nothing he said yesterday was disrespectful IMO. But again I'm being trying to find out what the story is with the non disclosure agreement in place since his contract was terminated.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united--interview-buy-players-rooney-tactics-solskjaer

It is the only job in career that he failed to succeed of course he is going to be gutted

I am sure he would come back if Woodward was gone

• Yes..........lets just rewrite history to suit your agenda.

2019/2020
    -6 games played
    -8 points
    -8 goals scored

2018/2019
    -6 games played
    -10 points
    -9 goals scored

Not that I doubted you but I indeed double checked those stats.
    And yes you are 100% correct.

****ing hell like

Great read thanks very knowledgeable man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just for the laugh, results from first 6 PL games 2017/18

-6 games played
    -16 points
    -17 goals scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nuts102 wrote: »
    It is the only job in career that he failed to succeed of course he is going to be gutted

I am sure he would come back if Woodward was gone

He'll be the last manager to win anything here for a while so thats a kinda consolation. Last succesful manager the club has.

• Advertisement

Just for the laugh, results from first 6 PL games 2017/18

-6 games played
    -16 points
    -17 goals scored

It gets better :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So Ole record since he got gig full time reads

W 5 D 4 L8 GF 16 GA 24 (-8)

We be in 13th position in PL had the PL started when he got the job full time

If we continue on the trend we are currently at since he took over we are looking at a Points total of 43-44 points in around 15th place and about 8-9 points off relegation..

That’s how bad it is. (Or good to some)

Ref below
    https://talksport.com/football/605328/premier-league-table-since-manchester-united-appointed-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-jose-mourinho-permanent/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

City won the league by record points last season, Liverpool close 2nd whilst winning the Champions League

City also won the FA Cup by a 6-0 deficit

Jurgen Klopp named FIFA's best coach of 2019, toss up between himself or Pep

All while we have a horrific record under Ole (who I feel got the job of his dreams and couldn't turn it down) and going nowhere fast

It's absolutely sickening. Criminal how Ed and co have allowed this to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

As one of his biggest critics on here I never though id miss him.

A lot can change in 3 years !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

2019/2020
    -6 games played
    -8 points
    -8 goals scored

2018/2019
    -6 games played
    -10 points
    -9 goals scored

I hold my hands up and stand corrected, although it was an honest mistake. I went back to compare and used https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/manchester-united/2019/3/ who list results like below, instead of having the away score on the right and home on the left they list the team your searching with all scores on the left, which I've never seen before

Premier League 2018/2019
    Round date place Opponent Results
    1. Round 10/08/2018 20:00 H Leicester City 2:1
    2. Round 19/08/2018 16:00 A Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3
    3. Round 27/08/2018 20:00 H Tottenham Hotspur 0:3
    4. Round 02/09/2018 16:00 A Burnley FC 2:0
    5. Round 15/09/2018 17:30 A Watford FC 2:1
    6. Round 22/09/2018 15:00 H Wolverhampton 1:1

even that had us at 7 points not 6. D'oh.

• beno619 wrote: »
    As one of his biggest critics on here I never though id miss him.

A lot can change in 3 years !

I do remember some healthy debate with you when he was in charge. I do admit however I probably backed him a bit longer than most and was probably wrong in that regard.

What I will say is that the problems at board room level were present then just not as blatantly obvious as it is now.

Some of the issues LVG had with the owners are still present to this day.

Like Jose, LVG had his faults but underlying issues with the owners are a reoccurring theme both managers can relate too I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would this be a good site to get OT stadium tour tickets ??

https://www.365tickets.ie/manchester-united-stadium-tours

cheaper than through the offical man utd site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So Ole record since he got gig full time reads

W 5 D 4 L8 GF 16 GA 24 (-8)

We be in 13th position in PL had the PL started when he got the job full time

If we continue on the trend we are currently at since he took over we are looking at a Points total of 43-44 points in around 15th place and about 8-9 points off relegation..

That’s how bad it is. (Or good to some)

Ref below
    https://talksport.com/football/605328/premier-league-table-since-manchester-united-appointed-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-jose-mourinho-permanent/

The morning papers say the club will stick with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we’ll get 3 or 4 points from our next 3 and that’ll be the end of the season and Ole.

There will be genuine fear in this squad when Liverpool turn up at OT in a month.

I think we’ll get 3 or 4 points from our next 3 and that’ll be the end of the season and Ole.

There will be genuine fear in this squad when Liverpool turn up at OT in a month.

I can honestly see Liverpool humiliating us we had some decent results in the past few years by parking the bus and setting up to nullify the quality they have in attack

I can see Ole trying to go toe to toe with them and with our midfield I worry they could score 4 or 5 and it will be the last game for Ole

But then who can we go for if he goes in a few weeks, Poch if he would be willing to leave or maybe Howe but very hard to get a new manager at this time of the year or maybe the Norwich manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I can honestly see Liverpool humiliating us we had some decent results in the past few years by parking the bus and setting up to nullify the quality they have in attack

I can see Ole trying to go toe to toe with them and with our midfield I worry they could score 4 or 5 and it will be the last game for Ole

But then who can we go for if he goes in a few weeks, Poch if he would be willing to leave or maybe Howe but very hard to get a new manager at this time of the year or maybe the Norwich manager

Max Allegri is available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I see alot of people clamouring for Poch. Am I the only one not at all convinced by him? He had a poor end to last season in the league and has had a poor start. The core of his team are there since last year plus he made additions in the summer yet they look to be going backwards. I read chatter about him losing the dressing room or falling out with Levy. How would he fare with ed or our squad?

How do we con him into joining us.

pjohnson wrote: »
    How do we con him into joining us.

Money.

It's certainly not what's on the pitch that's going to attract him.

Money.

It's certainly not what's on the pitch that's going to attract him.

The compo pacakage after 12 months would be the only tempting thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I see alot of people clamouring for Poch. Am I the only one not at all convinced by him? He had a poor end to last season in the league and has had a poor start. The core of his team are there since last year plus he made additions in the summer yet they look to be going backwards. I read chatter about him losing the dressing room or falling out with Levy. How would he fare with ed or our squad?

He joined Tottenham the year after they wasted much of the Gareth Bale money, he cleared out all the deadwood and rebuilt a squad to be consistent finishers in the top 4 and make a champions league final.

Exact same thing with Klopp - rebuilt a squad full of deadwood into Champions League winners and Premier League contenders.

I accept that a dramatic change will be difficult with Woodward overseeing things, but both of those managers only spent money generated through transfer sales in their first 2/3 seasons until they proved themselves - i.e they were able to rebuild on limited resources.

The scale of the rebuild required at OT is one of similar proportions. It is a mistake to entrust it to a man who has no track record of note in management and who, to date, has proved as out of his depth as a manager can be. Club legend or not, he is the wrong man for the job.

For every question mark against the likes of Pochettino, there are an almost infinite number against Ole and I cannot for the life of me see how anybody could question him Poch considering the credentials of who holds the position at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I'm not questioning Poch vs Ole, more Poch in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I keep seeing his name mentioned, for all the talk of Jose being negative, Allegri played defensively in the Serie A with comfortably the best team in the league?

I was always wary of poch, but last season he impressed me, given spurs lack of a midfield and the way he managed to vhange thier playing style, while not being able to bring in new players.

I genuinely thought they were going to be very good this season given the new signings and we would see a return to thier pressing best and get kane playing in his best position, the ndombele injury, plus sons suspencion and eriksons uncertain future may have played a part in the stuttering start but it will be interesting to see if he can get it going again or has it all gone stale with him and the players

• I was always wary of poch, but last season he impressed me, given spurs lack of a midfield and the way he managed to vhange thier playing style, while not being able to bring in new players.

I genuinely thought they were going to be very good this season given the new signings and we would see a return to thier pressing best and get kane playing in his best position, the ndombele injury, plus sons suspencion and eriksons uncertain future may have played a part in the stuttering start but it will be interesting to see if he can get it going again or has it all gone stale with him and the players

His frustrations were quite clear during the summer.
    All is not well between him and Levy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why would any manager want to go near the United job at the moment?
    Sure the money will be huge but with the owners/Ed overseeing everything it will only end badly with a big black mark on your CV.

The club needs a complete overhaul and that doesnt seem to be something Ed has any interest doing.

I'm sure the rumours of a DoF will resurface very soon.

• Advertisement

Would prefer someone like Howe who has got the best out of his players and things have not gone stale despite him being at the club for so long

He also plays nice football but his transfer record is questionable

His frustrations were quite clear during the summer.
    All is not well between him and Levy.

Why he would decide to leave Spurs to work under the Dealz bargain bin version of Levy is baffling. Aside from the size of his wage and the size of the severance payment why would he go from bad to much worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well I’d be wary over whether Poch would actually take the job, but he has a proven track record at Spurs of doing exactly what we need done so it’s be irresponsible not to try and get him if did leave Tottenham.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Why he would decide to leave Spurs to work under the Dealz bargain bin version of Levy is baffling. Aside from the size of his wage and the size of the severance payment why would he go from bad to much worse?

I absolutely agree. I don't think he would go near the poison chalice that is Utd.

There's a lack of leadership in the dressing room. A player to pull the likes of Lingard aside and call him out on his dumb videos which he always seems to post at the most inappropriate times.
    Before we had men in the squad who would be ready to box each other if it was for the good of the team,these lads have no direction or sense of responsibility.
    Ole talks about the United way,well part of that is seeing even a draw as an affront but now this group win,lose or draw don't give an impression of caring,a trend that has been at the club for over 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I keep seeing his name mentioned, for all the talk of Jose being negative, Allegri played defensively in the Serie A with comfortably the best team in the league?

Allegri like Jose and LVG might have great credentials. But its not the direction we need to go down as it will be another mistake.

Have we learned anything as fans? We hired Moyes -> LVG -> Jose -> Ole. Each had different philosophies on the game and recruited different types of players, which ultimately has really hurt us as we have had rebuild after rebuild, year after year, coach after coach, plan after plan.

Ultimately United lost their identity. we have been very poorly ran under Woodward who knows little about football. All the managers we have hired have failed to get the fans on the edge of their seats, failed to play 'The United Way' (i dont believe there is such thing myself), and failed to play attacking football. All those managers came in for huge criticism with their style.

Moyes - get the ball out wide and cross it. Aimless crosses
    LVG - possession keep ball philosophy, control the ball, control the game
    Jose - defensive, counter attack

• What's Ole style btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

pjohnson wrote: »

If you're suggesting Spurs have a larger transfer kitty than MU, that's plain nonsense. And MU pay much higher salaries.

Poch clearly unhappy at Spurs. Said in the summer that he has no say over transfers "so call me coach not manager".

He would jump at the chance, but Levy would force MU to pay them a big compensation packet.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

damowill wrote: »
      Allegri like Jose and LVG might have great credentials. But its not the direction we need to go down as it will be another mistake.

Have we learned anything as fans? We hired Moyes -> LVG -> Jose -> Ole. Each had different philosophies on the game and recruited different types of players, which ultimately has really hurt us as we have had rebuild after rebuild, year after year, coach after coach, plan after plan.

Ultimately United lost their identity. we have been very poorly ran under Woodward who knows little about football. All the managers we have hired have failed to get the fans on the edge of their seats, failed to play 'The United Way' (i dont believe there is such thing myself), and failed to play attacking football. All those managers came in for huge criticism with their style.

Moyes - get the ball out wide and cross it. Aimless crosses
      LVG - possession keep ball philosophy, control the ball, control the game
      Jose - defensive, counter attack

I don't think Moyes' style was particularly that tbh. With Valencia and Young that was happening no matter who the manager, Fergie's last couple of seasons that happened plenty, just so happened a peak Rooney and then RVP did everything to get on the end of them.

This mess has it's roots in the sacking of Moyes. "Stand by our new manager" lasted a few months and players had won. Obscene amounts of money sent thrown around to replace reliable performers who would have remained if the man who'd seen them train for an entire season remained.

Even if Moyes' 2nd season had not lived up to expectations either, at least a statement would have been made about who the main man was at the club. LVG had to posture with Di Maria, José got radical with Pogba, all made mistakes. With an increasingly spoiled fan base and seemingly hamstrung investment it's not going to change.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement