Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cona wrote: »
    Martial, Rashford and Pogba are starters.

And you were doing so well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

He is getting away with murder in this regard.

Remember that good patch at the start of the year, the one that got him the job? Remember the pace and pressing and all that good stuff that everybody liked? Then that all disappeared and we were told it was because Jose left him an unfit team that couldn't hack the hard work needed.

Well here we are, 9 months and a pre-season later. And bar Herrera and Lukaku we still have pretty much all the players who were involved in that good run.

So whats the deal? Why can't he get the players doing what they did back then? That has nothing to do with boardrooms or financial statements, that is a manager and his players doing what worked for them once before so why can't it happen?

Whats the excuse now?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/26/manchester-uniteds-attacking-style-behind-injury-crisis-admits/

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/what-style-will-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-man-utd-team-play-next-season

These quotes from him are a crock of sh*t.

Talks about play-styles and better fitness levels and the benefits of his pre-season plan and not a shred of any to be seen this season. The man could not be any more out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've seen plenty of poorer performances over the years so I'm not overly disappointed with tonight.

I know it's not a popular opinion round these parts but I was happy to see Pogba back.

Greenwood looks the real deal and he should get some valuable experience this year but hopefully without the pressure to single handedly make our season.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/1176963938384252930?s=19

Rochdale were beaten 6-0 at Peterborough 10 days ago and have lost to Man City's U21s this season. Drawn 1-1 at Old Trafford tonight and their fans are singing "you're getting sacked in the morning" at Solskjaer.

I kid you not. A poster on here was trying to convince is that they are a good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We're through and that's all that matters.

Is that you ED?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was happy to see Pogba back.

What part of it did you like?

Been out muscled by League one players?

League one players showing more desire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Bit better tonight. Forwards trying to make things happen rather than consulting a play book.

Players like rojo being allowed shoot rather than being told who is allowed shoot and who isn’t.

Greenwood good and bad, may end up being our starting centre forward by the Christmas window which is exciting and scary.

Loads of kids on the team. Few players who should be cleared out. I’m still happy writing off the season and letting ole mike phelan and the kids at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Funny I saw that coming from a mile away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

BDI wrote: »
    Bit better tonight. Forwards trying to make things happen rather than consulting a play book.

Players like rojo being allowed shoot rather than being told who is allowed shoot and who isn’t.

Greenwood good and bad, may end up being our starting centre forward by the Christmas window which is exciting and scary.

Loads of kids on the team. Few players who should be cleared out. I’m still happy writing off the season and letting ole mike phelan and the kids at it.

You forgot the better Bonding and Unity helped

• Advertisement

• Headshot wrote: »
    Funny I saw that coming from a mile away

Haha was just going to say

Maybe there was two different games on tonight.

One was a parody TV sketch where Utd played well and the other was the actual match where we were taken to penalties at old Trafford by one of the worst sides in league one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Liam O wrote: »
    Should I be the one to remind people that the last 2 managers have gotten knocked out of this tournament in quite auspicious circumstances. Almost like the blame doesn't rest rest with them?

Nope, fair point, there is blame to be shared in their direction for sure, but rather then keep looking back, we need to look in the present and more recent past.

We can get bogged down in hammering LVG and Mourinho but as regards solving the biggest dilemma affecting this team and it’s ability to win games and accumulate points....it’s the lack of goals and goal scorers.

So far this season in all competitions we have scored 10 goals in 8 games... 4 of those goals came in one game against Chelsea.

Take the Chelsea game out of the equation, that’s 6 goals in 7 games. That’s dreadful. No team with any sort of ambition can be content with that. That’s almost relegation form in terms of goal scoring.

I think we are going to struggle big time for top 4. When injuries and suspension bite further on into the season we are going to struggle even more.

Unless we can do something in January as regards transfers. We need strikers.

We have one win in our last 5 premier league games. The same as Aston Villa. They are 3rd from bottom by virtue of not drawing as many as us.

This is likely to get worse before better.

:(

Strumms wrote: »

I think we are going to struggle big time for top 4. When injuries and suspension bite further on into the season we are going to struggle even more.

Struggle for top 4?

We'll be struggling to be in the top half.

limnam wrote: »
    Struggle for top 4?

We'll be struggling to be in the top half.

It’s a possibility, an injury or two now and we are majorly fûcked, seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wenger eyeing up the job.

RB: Is Manchester United is a poison job? The squad they have is not ready, not good enough, but the expectations are so high. Nobody can do it.

AW: No. Manchester United is a dream job for any manager. At least, any manager with courage and confidence. Yes, they need - in my opinion - 4 first team players. But around those players, I see a squad that is capable of challenging. They aren't as far away as people think.

RB: They won on penalties against a tadpole!

AW: The team have no pattern of play, no pattern of pressing. There is a team there, but it needs to be coached and developed. Like I said, 4 players and they can be challengers. For everything.

RB: You know the 4?

AW: I cannot name them. It would be headlines everywhere. I know them. They lack creativity, flair, players that can expose the defence consistently through dribbling ability and speed. Now it is too horizontal. Side to side. Backwards. Nobody to beat a defender and force chaos, force a one-on-one. They need an overlapping full-back. They need a destroyer. 4 players.

RB: You said a coach needs courage and confidence to do the job. Is that you? You seem to have the ideas. (laughing)

AW: Like I said, Manchester United is a dream job. For any coach. I have confidence, I have courage...and you're right, I have ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Not backing Jose last summer will set this club back years!

• Advertisement

Interesting, it’s almost like him posting a CV... that element aside he is spot on in his assessment regarding the team and it’s requirements.

• Can it become any more parody

#Wengerin next to make us the biggest banter club ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »

RB: Is Manchester United is a poison job? The squad they have is not ready, not good enough, but the expectations are so high. Nobody can do it.

AW: No. Manchester United is a dream job for any manager. At least, any manager with courage and confidence. Yes, they need - in my opinion - 4 first team players. But around those players, I see a squad that is capable of challenging. They aren't as far away as people think.

AW: The team have no pattern of play, no pattern of pressing. There is a team there, but it needs to be coached and developed. Like I said, 4 players and they can be challengers. For everything.

AW: I cannot name them. It would be headlines everywhere. I know them. They lack creativity, flair, players that can expose the defence consistently through dribbling ability and speed. Now it is too horizontal. Side to side. Backwards. Nobody to beat a defender and force chaos, force a one-on-one. They need an overlapping full-back. They need a destroyer. 4 players.

RB: You said a coach needs courage and confidence to do the job. Is that you? You seem to have the ideas. (laughing)

AW: Like I said, Manchester United is a dream job. For any coach. I have confidence, I have courage...and you're right, I have ideas.

I would seriously love this to happen so my avatar can make sense again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

A destroyer Roy keane , an over lapping full back evra, two creative players that can cause chaos rvp and Tevez.
    To be fair to wenger if he had players like that he could get I’d give him the job myself.

Ole probably would too.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I want to talk about the game in its own right, if others want to talk about how **** they think everything that is up to them.

To me United missed really good chances, that has nothing to do with luck. It is bad play to miss chances. I think a team taking over 30 shots, only having 8 on target and missing some greay openings has a lot of work to do on front of goal. Going beyond one game we saw a lot of the same last week in Europa League.

About 20 of those shots were outside the box and many of them not from good positions, we had way too many crosses, and the build up play was very slow.

Very little intricate passing in tight areas, which you need versus a compact defence and almost no passes that got in behind them when they were compact.

This wasn;t a premier league team we were playing either they are a poor league 1 team and while we weren't at full strength the game plan or lack of one was seriously telling.

If we can't work the ball well enough against these to create a lot of good scoring opportunities we have no chance against actually decent sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Source? I want to pass on to an arsenal buddy
    Lord TSC wrote: »

Wenger is 70 next month.... not being ageist or hammering him but.... he didn’t exactly exactly finish off on a high with Arsenal.
    His final season... 6th... he had a better set of players and resources than we have now by some way, a more talented and deeper squad. Yet 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Wenger is 70 next month.... not being ageist or hammering him but.... he didn’t exactly exactly finish off on a high with Arsenal.
    His final season... 6th... he had a better set of players and resources than we have now by some way, a more talented and deeper squad. Yet 6th.

Sometimes things can go stale for a manager at the same club for many years.

See: Klopp at Dortmund, who in his final season had them in the relegation zone until February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Waiting for the “it’s not all that bad” crew to wade in

Rochdale, ****ing Rochdale

Christ

Literally every game this season bar the opener has been so poor, if Chelsea had taken any of those early chances we could be in full meltdown mode now.

Ole needs to go, he shouldn’t have got the job, but I highly doubt a new manager is going to jump on the titanic mid voyage, very little chance of making any major squad improvements in January too. This disaster of a season needs to play out unfortunately, Carrick will probably be interim manager at some stage.

We need to use the next 8 months to get a top manager on board and pull together some kind of plan for the future, anything. No nonsensical decisions, no chasing Gareth fecking Bale, act as if we are a competent football club for once since Fergie left.

Mokuba wrote: »
    Sometimes things can go stale for a manager at the same club for many years.

See: Klopp at Dortmund, who in his final season had them in the relegation zone until February.

True, but i think whatever about United it’s not the best move, for a retired 70 year bloke. Having to take charge of such a huge club, overseeing massive expectations, all the work that needs to get done in a short window of time and expectation to return us to being challengers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Source? I want to pass on to an arsenal buddy

Apparently said it on BEIN tonight as a pundit.

#WengerIn trending now on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

If we make Top 6 (with this squad), it will be quite an achievement.

Talk of top four is unrealistic and really wouldn't do the club any good anyway.
    Limping into the last CL qualification position through good fortune or lack of competition will only stagnate things even further.
    The CL money rolls in.....and the cycle of mediocrity continues.

What CL qualification WILL do is enable us to attract a stronger caliber of player, sponsorship deals etc...

Zeek12 wrote: »
    If we make Top 6 (with this squad), it will be quite an achievement.

Talk of top four is unrealistic and really wouldn't do the club any good anyway.
    Limping into the last CL qualification position through good fortune or lack of competition will only stagnate things even further.
    The CL money rolls in.....and the cycle of mediocrity continues.

Top 6 is also a disaster the Uefa cup does nothing to help teams get into the top 4 unless they win it and its always bad to be relying on that.

But I agree if we luck box it we will be stuck in same cycle so **** knows finish 8th and maybe just maybe the club gets the kick up the hole it needs but if we fall that far, well thats another kind of trouble in itself.

Its all quite depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Phil Jones makes Owen Hargreaves seem like Iron Man.

• Advertisement

What CL qualification WILL do is enable us to attract a stronger caliber of player, sponsorship deals etc...

Forget it.

Forget it.

I’m a reluctant optimist what can I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Liam O wrote: »
    This is it. United have looked good all season against teams of all levels at keeping the ball and getting it up to about 30 yards from goal. That's where it all goes to shít.

Good is a strong word, I mean we can get there but it doesn't look pretty and you could say the same about United for the past 5-6 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

About 20 of those shots were outside the box and many of them not from good positions, we had way too many crosses, and the build up play was very slow.

Very little intricate passing in tight areas, which you need versus a compact defence and almost no passes that got in behind them when they were compact.

This wasn;t a premier league team we were playing either they are a poor league 1 team and while we weren't at full strength the game plan or lack of one was seriously telling.

If we can't work the ball well enough against these to create a lot of good scoring opportunities we have no chance against actually decent sides

Yes that is all true except I think they did create some chances but that was more to do with individual quality than the team. As Liam O said, the control is there but actually doing anything with it when they get around the box is not.

Much of what Wenger has supposedly said about the play is true in how they play it around without any penetrative play and some of that is a player issue but mostly it is the coach. I thought the same under Jose. Patterns of play are lacking.

My biggest concern about Ole is the coaching of the side, I don't think he is a coach like Pep for example. I think the rest of what he is overseeing is the correct approach to reset the club on the pitch. I think his ideals are right but I am not seeing evidence the people tasked with coaching are able to do the job, be that him or people he has working with him.

To me he looks like the DOF we need, the coach should be someone like Den Haag. Ole is 6 out of 10 for me in his manager role and it is the coaching aspect that I would rate him lowest on. Hopefully the coaching level improves and he proves me wrong to be concerned about that part.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Yes that is all true except I think they did create some chances but that was more to do with individual quality than the team. As Liam O said, the control is there but actually doing anything with it when they get around the box is not.

Much of what Wenger has supposedly said about the play is true in how they play it around without any penetrative play and some of that is a player issue but mostly it is the coach. I thought the same under Jose.

My biggest concern about Ole is the coaching of the side, I don't think he is a coach like Pep for example. I think the rest of what he is overseeing is the correct approach to reset the club on the pitch. I think his ideals are right but I am not seeing evidence the people tasked with coaching are able to do the job, be that him or people he has working with him.

To me he looks like the DOF we need, the coach should be someone like Den Haag. Ole is 6 out of 10 for me in his manager role and it is the coaching aspect that I would rate him lowest on. Hopefully the coaching level improves and he proves me wrong to be concerned about that part.

Ya I'd agree with pretty much everything Wegner said and it kind of echos what LVGs assesment on the team although a few years have passed now.

We so badly need A DOF who knows how to keep the squad ticking over even if managers aren't working out or the club has lost faith in them.

Most of the signing this summer are ones that were needed last summer and this years hole will be pushed to next year, we really need to get a grip on this and get ahead of it somehow.

The massive contracts for underperoming players is another serious black mark against Woodward, if Martial, Rashford aren't good enough for the first team we will never move them on and the ridiculous contracts will continue or we wont attract players as they will feel undervalued at he club.

The mess is 100% on woodward but with a better coach we could still be building towards something, now we are just stalling or going backwards.

Only slight positive note is our new signings look like they have fixed the problem areas they were brought in for at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I must have been one of few who thought Fred did alright this evening, pogba and lingard didn't exactly do much in that midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thing is, the start of the season before last, it looked like José had copped to the idea of full backs pushing up and the attackers all flooding the centre in tight spaces and they'd started quite well. I think that season it worked well at times with Lingard in front of Pogba and Matic and Mata out right and cutting in with Rashford/Martial capable of coming in from the other side. I think with a better striker than Lukaku capable of holding it up and intricate passing the consistency would have clicked a lot more. Alas there was times when it did and times when it didn't but then José and Pogba fell out and that was the end of it.

Agreed, especially on the signings, they all in a short time appear to be very good additions indeed... seriously though a big fûck up, selling Alexis and not acquiring even a replacement forward... gonna kill us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I’m a reluctant optimist what can I say.

The only thing we have on our side is that the other challengers seem just as bad half the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jose was at pains to point out on Sunday, even before the game, that United play like a side with no “objective”. Wenger has essentially said the same thing this evening. I think they might be on to something.......

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I must have been one of few who thought Fred did alright this evening, pogba and lingard didn't exactly do much in that midfield

I like Fred he moves the ball quick enough, good in tight situations, good with both feet, can keep the midfield ticking over without being slow, can play some passes to break the line and is a monster defensively, he is a really good box to box midfielder, If we played a staggered 3 in midfield or in a 2.

Slight concentration issues biggest worry, rash at times and a bit tactically ill disciplined but when he gets out of position defensively people dont get passed him, as he will win ball or player.

Trigger wrote: »
    The only thing we have on our side is that the other challengers seem just as bad half the time

Truth, I think if we can establish some sort of form where we can nail about five wins in eight games, draw one or two of the other three, 16 points say, get momentum to get up to and established into the top 4. A firm footing there. Instead of chasing 4th we are in 3rd and playing to cement CL qualification.

Get Martial fit and playing as a striker and good support play from behind him. Be tough I think but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Given the way teams play I could see us beating Arsenal and losing 3 of the next 4 games after, Ole goes after Norwich maybe Bournemouth

We need a goal getter, a hungry hungry fûcker scoring regularly. There are 38 games in the PL for each team, say we play a conservative 6 in Europe and 6 in domestic cup competitions...that’s 50 games on average a season.

Rashford or our main striker should be aiming to score 20 goals a season, all competitions, 18 even, minimum.

He is averaging 1 goal every 4 games currently for United, internationally 1 in 5.

We should not be relying on someone who ok, is relatively young but who can only at present perform and produce goals as poorly as that goal to game ratio suggests. That weight of expectation shouldn’t be all on him, it more or less is..

Ok, the lack of creativity in the team, doesn’t help him any, but... a fast, lethal, intelligent striker with real quality, lightening pace and killer instinct and eye for goal that can guarantee us 20 plus goals, that can scare the bejasus out of the most hardened and classy defender...real fear inducing guy like Rudd is what we need as a lone striker. Fûck development...goals can come now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

58k at the game tonight someone said. Big part of the problem, time to let Woodward and co and a majority of the overpaid madonna's know what we think of them. Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Wenger or Ole. That's like trying to decide if you'd rather be kicked in the face or punched in the bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Imo a 17yr old is arguably our best striker a club looking to challenge for trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What part of it did you like?

Been out muscled by League one players?

League one players showing more desire?
    Can only remember one occasion towards the end of the game where he thought he had more time on the ball and the opposition came in and nicked it off him.

Didn't see anything that made me question his desire last night to be honest.

I just think that it's obvious that he's a step above anyone else who can play in our midfield when it comes to creating something. I think he's actually improved the other side of his game since last year.

I do wonder why he didn't take a penalty though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Imo a 17yr old is arguably our best striker a club looking to challenge for trophies

Agree about the 17 year old, but we're definitely not a club looking to win trophies. And havn't been for a few years now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement