Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Honest question, do you think bringing in Big Sam or Harry as interm manager we see us over the hump, and challenge for top 4 ? Has it gone that sour for Ole?

For the record, I don't want either of them near the club, just asking a hypothetical question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Honest question, do you think bringing in Big Sam or Harry as interm manager we see us over the hump, and challenge for top 4 ? Has it gone that sour for Ole?

For the record, I don't want either of them near the club, just asking a hypothetical question.

No good bringing anyone else in until we get rid of Woodward and those glazier fukcers. Nothing going to change just more draining and destroying of our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I know the Saudis have a poor human rights record but I wouldn't mind them purchasing the club and getting us back where we belong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anyone still talking about top 4 at this stage is surely deluded.

We are more likely to finish 10th than 4th, we will be giving up on the league after Christmas to focus on the europa, not that we will have a choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wenger or Ole. That's like trying to decide if you'd rather be kicked in the face or punched in the bollix.

Harsh on Wenger.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be the first name on my list (Poch is, probably).

But Wenger was known as someone capable of delivering top 4 regularly on a very meager budget, while playing nice football and developing players. Tbh, I'd take that right now, and I'd say the club would adore that. We're a few steps below that level currently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Strumms wrote: »
    Rashford or our main striker should be aiming to score 20 goals a season, all competitions, 18 even, minimum.

He is averaging 1 goal every 4 games currently for United, internationally 1 in 5.

Welbeck numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Harsh on Wenger.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be the first name on my list (Poch is, probably).

But Wenger was known as someone capable of delivering top 4 regularly on a very meager budget, while playing nice football and developing players. Tbh, I'd take that right now, and I'd say the club would adore that. We're a few steps below that level currently....

If AW were to come in now and was guaranteed to only be in situ til the summer then I'd accept it but there is a very high probability that if he was to come in and did ok he would get the gig full time, much like Ole did. That would be a huge step backwards imo. His time came and went a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Watching last night, we had a Pogba and Lingard both on the pitch and couldn’t get anything moving through midfield.

2 of the highest paid players in the squad, 2 of our senior players. And can’t get anything moving.

James comes on and we seem to have a spark again..

It should not, in any scenario, take a 21 year old to come on and spark a game against a League One side, and a poor L1 side at that!

I’ve been optimistic of a plan all season, but last night was just putrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Nal wrote: »
    Welbeck numbers.

Yes, for Rashford, our lone striker, a goal every 360 minutes of football on average currently. :(

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Watching last night, we had a Pogba and Lingard both on the pitch and couldn’t get anything moving through midfield.

2 of the highest paid players in the squad, 2 of our senior players. And can’t get anything moving.

James comes on and we seem to have a spark again..

It should not, in any scenario, take a 21 year old to come on and spark a game against a League One side, and a poor L1 side at that!

I’ve been optimistic of a plan all season, but last night was just putrid
    Sadly that's what we have became, a poor league 1team at worst or middle table championships team at best. Staying out of the relegation zone will be a struggle this year is my fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

There were a lot of negatives last night which highlight the big problems we have, mainly Creativity in the final 3rd. One positive was the emergence of Brandon Williams at left back. He is two footed so can play RB or LB but he demonstrated last night how comfortable and accomplished he is on the ball. He is quick and sizeable and looked like a good defender. He was made captain of the u23s this year and yet he is only 19. He looks like he has a bright future. United let Leo O'Connor go to Celtic, mainly because of Williams and Ethan Laird.

Wan Bisska has been getting plaudits since the start of the season, but he made a mistake for West Hams 2nd goal and last night, i think he should have been able to head the initial cross away for Rochdales goal. His limitations going forward were again on display last night. I love him defending 1:1, nothing gets past him but there are a few too many holes in his game at the moment.

United only spent 60m net in the summer. Rumour had it we only had 100m (net) to spend. If that was the case, then why did we spend 50m on a fullback, when we have Dalot, Williams and Ethan Laird? That money would have been better served going towards an attacking mid, winger or striker, to provide a creative spark we so badly lack. If its a rebuild then why not rebuild with Dalot, Williams and Ethan Laird. I cant bare to see more of Pereira, Lingard, Fred and Chong this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Talk of this team challenging for Top 4 reminds me of the Rooney apologists who couldn't see, or accept, the fact that he was not up to the standard anymore. Despite many obvious cases during games of his legs gone and form overall, they would point to some ambiguous number of stats to try and prove their point, whereas to anyone actually watching him could see his time at this level was over.

This is the same with the current Ole sympathizer's......they simply can't, or refuse to, see the obvious terrible performances. And this form has been present since the PSG game. Heck, even before that game some of our performances were terrible.....Spurs could have put 5 or 6 past us in the second half of that, a game we absolutely poxed it to win. We've heard all the excuses......no smiles, shackles, not a happy dressing room, players afraid of expressing themselves, the style of football, the wrong players. These are all drying up now. Ole can talk the talk, but in reality, he is failing to walk the walk.

Someone mentioned that we seem to play well from defence to midfield and then fall apart up front. But has anyone twigged that teams are letting us play in our half, 2 thirds of the pitch. The blu-print is there to nullify us......let us have the ball and keep it compact, knowing we don't have the creativity or guile to open up such defences. I would nearly guarantee when we come up against teams who will press on the front foot such as Liverpool, City and even Arsenal we will see our midfield chasing tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes, for Rashford, our lone striker, a goal every 360 minutes of football on average currently. :(

It was a screenshot of some twitter account I saw on Facebook so more than likely made up

It said Greenwood has scored the same goals from open play in the last two games as Rashford has in 2019

I wouldn't think so I remember Chelsea and I think it was Brighton at home in January but it wouldn't shock me either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Being back tc23 get up those social media numbers

Rochdale lost 6-0 to Peterborough last week.

Theres a record amount of people downloading the club app though so alls good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Talk of this team challenging for Top 4 reminds me of the Rooney apologists who couldn't see, or accept, the fact that he was not up to the standard anymore. Despite many obvious cases during games of his legs gone and form overall, they would point to some ambiguous number of stats to try and prove their point, whereas to anyone actually watching him could see his time at this level was over.

This is the same with the current Ole sympathizer's......they simply can't, or refuse to, see the obvious terrible performances. And this form has been present since the PSG game. Heck, even before that game some of our performances were terrible.....Spurs could have put 5 or 6 past us in the second half of that, a game we absolutely poxed it to win. We've heard all the excuses......no smiles, shackles, not a happy dressing room, players afraid of expressing themselves, the style of football, the wrong players. These are all drying up now. Ole can talk the talk, but in reality, he is failing to walk the walk.

Someone mentioned that we seem to play well from defence to midfield and then fall apart up front. But has anyone twigged that teams are letting us play in our half, 2 thirds of the pitch. The blu-print is there to nullify us......let us have the ball and keep it compact, knowing we don't have the creativity or guile to open up such defences. I would nearly guarantee when we come up against teams who will press on the front foot such as Liverpool, City and even Arsenal we will see our midfield chasing tails.

Was thinking this last night. Rochdale were rightly happy to sit back and frustrate us but that just won't happen when we play city and Liverpool.
    As bad as it's been, they'll need to put up a parental advisory warning when we play those two. It's going to be nasty stuff. Although by the time we get to the city match in December we could very well have a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

damowill wrote: »
    There were a lot of negatives last night which highlight the big problems we have, mainly Creativity in the final 3rd. One positive was the emergence of Brandon Williams at left back. He is two footed so can play RB or LB but he demonstrated last night how comfortable and accomplished he is on the ball. He is quick and sizeable and looked like a good defender. He was made captain of the u23s this year and yet he is only 19. He looks like he has a bright future. United let Leo O'Connor go to Celtic, mainly because of Williams and Ethan Laird.

Wan Bisska has been getting plaudits since the start of the season, but he made a mistake for West Hams 2nd goal and last night, i think he should have been able to head the initial cross away for Rochdales goal. His limitations going forward were again on display last night. I love him defending 1:1, nothing gets past him but there are a few too many holes in his game at the moment.

United only spent 60m net in the summer. Rumour had it we only had 100m (net) to spend. If that was the case, then why did we spend 50m on a fullback, when we have Dalot, Williams and Ethan Laird? That money would have been better served going towards an attacking mid, winger or striker, to provide a creative spark we so badly lack. If its a rebuild then why not rebuild with Dalot, Williams and Ethan Laird. I cant bare to see more of Pereira, Lingard, Fred and Chong this season.

We had a lot on here looking for 2 CBs and a RB, and even then it was a DM or two on top of it during the summer, better replace Herrera and Fellaini yada yada.... A RB, RW, number 10 and a striker were my priorities. As I said before the summer, good teams now reverse the traditional approach and build from the front, rather than the back. Both Pep and Klopp prioritised getting an attacking set up in place before finally solidifying defensively.

On a separate note, Top 4 is still a possibility even though some may think it's deluded. But don't mistake Top 4, as being good. The reality is that as bad as we may seem, it's a sh1tstorm out there with other clubs.

AWB is a great signing imo but we'll need to add a LB, LWB that can really attack over the next 2 windows.

Was thinking this last night. Rochdale were rightly happy to sit back and frustrate us but that just won't happen when we play city and Liverpool.
    As bad as it's been, they'll need to put up a parental advisory warning when we play those two. It's going to be nasty stuff. Although by the time we get to the city match in December we could very well have a new manager.

Who though? Especially with that squad. Its becoming a poisoned chalice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We could, be we won’t have new fûcking players so what difference at least in the short term a new manager might make....

• Advertisement

A new manager, caretaker or pep himself cannot sort this.
    Has to be total clear out of all the leeches who run the club.Woodward and company are going to run this club into the ground if they already haven't. Only hope now is for change of ownership, I can't see any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PARlance wrote: »
    We had a lot on here looking for 2 CBs and a RB, and even then it was a DM or two on top of it during the summer, better replace Herrera and Fellaini yada yada

Some did, but every 2nd post in here for the last month of the transfer window was people pointing out the blindingly obvious reality that it would be a huge mistake not to replace Lukaku or address the attacking options.

I'm not even joking, it was topic number one for most of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There is an inconsistent press the last few months and that's a huge problem. You have some players holding position and some closing the ball. It being like that means that there is gaps to play through midfield without too much of a problem. Against West Ham it got to the edge of the United box and there was no pressure on the ball and everyone seemed to be expecting someone else to do it. Even supposed leaders like Maguire. They lack an on pitch presence to remind them of their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

A new manager, caretaker or pep himself cannot sort this.
    Has to be total clear out of all the leeches who run the club.Woodward and company are going to run this club into the ground if they already haven't. Only hope now is for change of ownership, I can't see any other way.

The season before Klopp arrived at Liverpool they lost 6-1 at Stoke.

The season before Pochettino arrived at Tottenham they lost 6-0 to Man City, 5-1 to Man City, 5-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Chelsea.

We are not as far away as people think if the right man with a proven track record and a clear identity and play style comes in.

PARlance wrote: »
    We had a lot on here looking for 2 CBs and a RB, and even then it was a DM or two on top of it during the summer, better replace Herrera and Fellaini yada yada.... A RB, RW, number 10 and a striker were my priorities. As I said before the summer, good teams now reverse the traditional approach and build from the front, rather than the back. Both Pep and Klopp prioritised getting an attacking set up in place before finally solidifying defensively.

On a separate note, Top 4 is still a possibility even though some may think it's deluded. But don't mistake Top 4, as being good. The reality is that as bad as we may seem, it's a sh1tstorm out there with other clubs.

AWB is a great signing imo but we'll need to add a LB, LWB that can really attack over the next 2 windows.

We should have bought a RW and AMC in my opinion. They along with CB were priorities. The reason we didnt, was the Glazers didnt give us the money.

AWB is a good player and I'm happy we have him instead of Ashley Young. He is obviously further along than Dalot, Williams and Laird. But this season and next are rebuild seasons, so why not give Dalot the opportunity to develop? Why did we buy him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Mokuba wrote: »
    The season before Klopp arrived at Liverpool they lost 6-1 at Stoke.

The season before Pochettino arrived at Tottenham they lost 6-0 to Man City, 5-1 to Man City, 5-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Chelsea.

We are not as far away as people think if the right man with a proven track record and a clear identity and play style comes in.

Agree 100%, we do have some good to very good players. Ole, bless his cotton socks, either doesn't know how to or simply cannot get the best out of them. We've made good strides in getting rid of the likes of Smalling but several clear outs are needed. It's no coincidence that alot of the same players are stuttering and misfiring under a third different manager.

• Advertisement

Lads clearout is definitely needed, but anyone who thinks a different manager is going to solve this mess in my opinion is missing the big problem and that is the owners, board, directors and all the other money men don't give a damn about the football it's all about the brand. One of the best managers in football failed at utd so who could come in and make a change. Who would want to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We should have bought a RW and AMC in my opinion. They along with CB were priorities. The reason we didnt, was the Glazers didnt give us the money.

AWB is a good player and I'm happy we have him instead of Ashley Young. He is obviously further along than Dalot, Williams and Laird. But this season and next are rebuild seasons, so why not give Dalot the opportunity to develop? Why did we buy him?

I was thinking this myself recently. Was there a need to spend £50m on a RB when one was purchased the summer previous. One which the manager called the best RB in Europe for his age. It was obvious that Maguire was the man going to be signed to transform the defence so concentrate on him.

Why not go to Palace and ask 'if you want £50m this summer, how about we'll give you £55m next summer as long as you don't sell him to anyone else'. The use that £50m ear-marked for this summer on a CM.

It's not as if AWB has pulled up trees this season so far either. Not doubting him as a player at all, but he hasn't been a game changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

FitzShane wrote: »

It's not as if AWB has pulled up trees this season so far either. Not doubting him as a player at all, but he hasn't been a game changer.

huh.

If been the best right back in the league with most tackles etc etc etc etc
    is not pulling up tree's who is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

limnam wrote: »
    huh.

Exactly, while Dalot has a lot of potential, he's a sh1te defender, and AWB is streets ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

huh.

Most tackles does not equate to being the best right back, the same way that making the most saves does not make the GK the best in the league.

There is no doubt that he is a great tackler, but from what I've watched this season, there has been many tackles from AWB that have been recovery tackles out wide, where he has been beaten by the winger and then has used his pace to recover and tackle the winger, and put the ball out for a throw-in etc.

His attacking play has been poor, as evident in the loss to West Ham - overhitting crosses. He has been solid defensively, which was expected from his tackling ability we saw last season but a let down offensively IMO, so therefore not 'pulling up trees'.

• Advertisement

huh.

I can understand the point though.

As a standalone signing it was a good one.

In the context of so much needed elsewhere, the club being in a rebuild anyway and already having young full backs at the club, was it really the right thing to do?

I like him, I really do, such investments are worthwhile but I can see where the question is coming from. I'm also not going to overrate him after 6 games like some people are doing but that is a different issue.

Personally I think awb and James have been two great additions so far, McGuire I'm still not convinced he's worth that money but time will tell. But how long before these players realise it's not the club they had been expecting to join and end up like lingard, martial, pogba and co. Just going through the motions and not giving a fcuk .

Lads clearout is definitely needed, but anyone who thinks a different manager is going to solve this mess in my opinion is missing the big problem and that is the owners, board, directors and all the other money men don't give a damn about the football it's all about the brand. One of the best managers in football failed at utd so who could come in and make a change. Who would want to .

I wouldn't count Jose as a failure. He won 2 trophies in his first season and had us 2nd and FA cup finalists in his second season. He threw the toys out of the pram in classic Jose style, having not got backed in the transfer market that summer and overruled on key decisions.

In the case of Poch and Klopp they had a negative net spend in both of their first 2 seasons, so it's certainly possible to rebuild in circumstances where the board are not showing ambition financially. Literally the teams that have overtaken us were in the exact same position not so long ago, but they got the right man in.

In Klopps case, he took a team on the fringes of European football to title and champions league challengers. So is it any surprise to see him succeeding at the same task with Liverpool? Our most successful period since Ferguson correlates with the best manager we have had since Ferguson. The results under Ole correlate with a manager in charge with no meaningful experience at the top level and his only other experience in the league was a catastrophic failure.

No doubt in my mind that a new manager with a clear system, ideology and track record given a long term deal will have us challenging again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

FitzShane wrote: »
    I was thinking this myself recently. Was there a need to spend £50m on a RB when one was purchased the summer previous. One which the manager called the best RB in Europe for his age. It was obvious that Maguire was the man going to be signed to transform the defence so concentrate on him.

Why not go to Palace and ask 'if you want £50m this summer, how about we'll give you £55m next summer as long as you don't sell him to anyone else'. The use that £50m ear-marked for this summer on a CM.

This is really not good logic. Just because we spent money on a position, does not mean the player that was recruited was the right one. See the most recent £900m spent.

The jury is very much still out on Dalot. If he picked up a knock (as he did in preseason), if we had not signed anyone else, I can only imagine the absolute sh*t fit that people would have had, had we had Ashley Young as a RB on opening day.

AWB is a far, far better player than Dalot is currently. He has been one of the best RBs in the league so far, so if you don't think he has been "pulling up trees", it would be interesting to see how dreadful you think the other ~39 RBs in the league have done so far.

Reading all of the negative comments here over the last few days, and it's hard to disagree with a lot of them. We still have dross in the squad, we can't score goals, we've no center forwards fit, Rashford doesn't score enough, Lukaku wasn't replaced, we're crying out for 1 or 2 CMs with creativity, we're crying out for a RW, Periera isn't good enough, Lingard is poor, Woodward is clueless.......... but Jesus, people questioning Maguire and AWB is madness when they've actually done quite well, considering the total sh*t show going on around them.

The only positives I can take from the season so far is that the players who were recruited last year look like good investments (just not enough of them), and that we've a 17 year old two footed kid that looks like he will score a hell of a lot of goals for the first team over many years - injury and attitude permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I can understand the point though.

As a standalone signing it was a good one.

In the context of so much needed elsewhere, the club being in a rebuild anyway and already having young full backs at the club, was it really the right thing to do?

I like him, I really do, such investments are worthwhile but I can see where the question is coming from. I'm also not going to overrate him after 6 games like some people are doing but that is a different issue.

Thats exactly the point. Most fans would prefer Dalot and Sancho (as an example) over AWB and Pereira. It was great to get AWB but bemusing when there are positions in the squad that are so weak that badly need upgrading. I think we all expected a midfielder and winger to come in after AWB but it didnt happen. So knowing you have x amount to spend, i just think it was a strange position to bolster, when we have potential at the club in that position already. And while AWB is good, there are many facets to his game that needs working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

We need a goal getter, a hungry hungry fûcker scoring regularly. There are 38 games in the PL for each team, say we play a conservative 6 in Europe and 6 in domestic cup competitions...that’s 50 games on average a season.

Rashford or our main striker should be aiming to score 20 goals a season, all competitions, 18 even, minimum.

He is averaging 1 goal every 4 games currently for United, internationally 1 in 5.

We should not be relying on someone who ok, is relatively young but who can only at present perform and produce goals as poorly as that goal to game ratio suggests. That weight of expectation shouldn’t be all on him, it more or less is..

Ok, the lack of creativity in the team, doesn’t help him any, but... a fast, lethal, intelligent striker with real quality, lightening pace and killer instinct and eye for goal that can guarantee us 20 plus goals, that can scare the bejasus out of the most hardened and classy defender...real fear inducing guy like Rudd is what we need as a lone striker. Fûck development...goals can come now !

Add in the other player ole is relying on to be the striker, is a guy who put in shift when contract negotiations were going on, new deal signed and his performances fell off a cliff.

I wouldn't count Jose as a failure. He won 2 trophies in his first season and had us 2nd and FA cup finalists in his second season. He threw the toys out of the pram in classic Jose style, having not got backed in the transfer market that summer and overruled on key decisions.

In the case of Poch and Klopp they had a negative net spend in both of their first 2 seasons, so it's certainly possible to rebuild in circumstances where the board are not showing ambition financially. Literally the teams that have overtaken us were in the exact same position not so long ago, but they got the right man in.

In Klopps case, he took a team on the fringes of European football to title and champions league challengers. So is it any surprise to see him succeeding at the same task with Liverpool? Our most successful period since Ferguson correlates with the best manager we have had since Ferguson. The results under Ole correlate with a manager in charge with no meaningful experience at the top level and his only other experience in the league was a catastrophic failure.

No doubt in my mind that a new manager with a clear system, ideology and track record given a long term deal will have us challenging again.

First of all it's the clear system of the board and there ideology that's destroying anything a new manager we get trys to do. Also players who are not good enough to play for Manchester United. Hope you are right but I think its more than a new manager needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Wenger being touted as a possible new manager..... am I reading that correctly??

Jesus.

CheerfulWavyBrant-size_restricted.gif

First of all it's the clear system of the board and there ideology that's destroying anything a new manager we get trys to do. Also players who are not good enough to play for Manchester United. Hope you are right but I think its more than a new manager needed.

For sure there are new players needed and players here who need to go, but Poch and Klopp operated at a minus net spend for 2 seasons and managed to rebuild. Only after they had proven themselves were they given loads of cash.

A manager with a clear system and a clear idea of the players required to play in it is what will have us challenging, literally the exact same as Poch and Klopp. Our current manager has no discernible tactics and a transfer policy which amounts to : buy british.

• Advertisement

I was actually not a Pochettino fan when he was being touted around a few years ago, back when United were still a big club targeting big trophies. I wasn't convinced that he was a manager who could get a team across the line in the tight games.

Conversely, now that the scenario is different I do think he could be a very good choice, if he was willing to come and put in another few years quietly building a side. That is something we need and something that he has shown that he can do very well, he could be a far better fit now than he was back then.

Is he willing to come is the big question though, he will leave Spurs but I'm sure he would have other options.

For sure there are new players needed and players here who need to go, but Poch and Klopp operated at a minus net spend for 2 seasons and managed to rebuild. Only after they had proven themselves were they given loads of cash.

A manager with a clear system and a clear idea of the players required to play in it is what will have us challenging, literally the exact same as Poch and Klopp. Our current manager has no discernible tactics and a transfer policy which amounts to : buy british.

We will see when the next manager takes over and the next which won't be to long. Hopefully we will still be in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I was actually not a Pochettino fan when he was being touted around a few years ago, back when United were still a big club targeting big trophies. I wasn't convinced that he was a manager who could get a team across the line in the tight games.

Conversely, now that the scenario is different I do think he could be a very good choice, if he was willing to come and put in another few years quietly building a side. That is something we need and something that he has shown that he can do very well, he could be a far better fit now than he was back then.

Is he willing to come is the big question though, he will leave Spurs but I'm sure he would have other options.

It is another remarkable illustration of how the club is slipping. Iirc, in the Summer of 2014 both ourselves and Spurs wanted LvG, with Pochettino certainly being the alternative for them but a candidate for us also. We moved for LvG later than Spurs but got him and now here we are today wondering whether Pochettino would even be willing to come to us if we asked.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It is another remarkable illustration of how the club is slipping. Iirc, in the Summer of 2014 both ourselves and Spurs wanted LvG, with Pochettino certainly being the alternative for them but a candidate for us also. We moved for LvG later than Spurs but got him and now here we are today wondering whether Pochettino would even be willing to come to us if we asked.

Elephant in the room really. In my belief we will not be able to attract a suitable manager the way things stand now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

When are you going to realise that the Glazers don't give a **** about what happens on the pitch? You only have to look at their NFL team to realise that.

There's constant posts here about changing managers and transfer windows. The Glazers aren't going to finance what's needed to get United back to being a title challenging team again. They do what parasites do, they'll bleed United till there's nothing left to bleed, then they'll move on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Necro wrote: »
    Wenger being touted as a possible new manager..... am I reading that correctly??

Jesus.

CheerfulWavyBrant-size_restricted.gif

He was asked in an interview with Bein if Utd was a job nobody wants now and he went on to say its a dream job everybody wants and we are 4 top players away from competing for everything.

Twitter and the press going nuts declaring he is putting himself forward for the job. Bein have since come out and said the quotes are not from their interview.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    When are you going to realise that the Glazers don't give a **** about what happens on the pitch? You only have to look at their NFL team to realise that.

There's constant posts here about changing managers and transfer windows. The Glazers aren't going to finance what's needed to get United back to being a title challenging team again. They do what parasites do, they'll bleed United till there's nothing left to bleed, then they'll move on :(

The Glazers did spend a lot of money from 2014-2017, but it was very poor recruitment and there wasnt much of a return in terms of results, bar FA Cup, League Cup and Europa league wins.

I'm not sure what happened but in 2018 and 2019, they have been extremely tight with the purse strings. 2018 they spent 40m net and in 2019, in a rebuild year, when you need your owners the most, they spend 60m net.

People now are saying Ole isnt good enough. But he wasnt backed the same way LVG and initially how Jose was backed. We were ****e last season, a clearout was needed, but we needed minimum 5 players.

We finished 6th last year and we bought 3 players. 7 left. Unfortunately thats not nearly good enough with Liverpool and City so far ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ole, seems quite good at identifying players. I'm extremely pleased with the level of talent he's brought in. The real question is....if he was to get 11 of HIS players on the pitch can he convey his vision and get them playing to the beat of his tune. I'm not so certain.

I look at some of the decisions he's made from a squad management perspective and its extremely worrying.

Ultimately results will dictate the next move, as it stands on current form, those results look likely to be on the negative side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ozzy jr wrote: »

Imagine if there was no leveraged debt and the club kept the £1 billion or so they leeched out of the club?
    What they did should never have been allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The reason we didnt, was the Glazers didnt give us the money.
    The Glazers did spend a lot of money from 2014-2017

The Glazers spent nothing. They have never spent anything.

It was the club's money.

Never, ever forget that.

The only thing they ever gave this club was a massive debt.

Scrap the cap!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement