Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Good point, if arsenal score more than united then they'll be favourites to win the game.

Not necessarily. David Luiz OG is probably Uniteds most likely goalscorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Havent really seen anything of Newcastle this season. Does anyone know how Longstaff has been doing for them so for this season? Just interested to know since he seemed to be a big target for Ole over the summer before Newcastle jacked up his price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lindelof's agent has been giving interviews.

Hasan Cetinkaya (Victors agent) has been interviewed in a Swedish newspaper and had this to say about Victor Lindelöf:

"Victor Nilsson Lindelöf was perhaps Manchester Uniteds best player last season and with that comes interest from clubs who are better on the pitch right now. When Mathijs De Ligt chose Juventus, Victor became Barcelonas first choice. His play style, his DNA is very close to the way Barcelonas plays. He's one of the best center backs on his feet and Barcelona wanted him. That was it. I can talk openly about that now.

They contacted Ed Woodward multiples times with concrete offers. I met with their head of transfers Matt Judge to try and get a deal through. But they said "There is no way. Victor is one of our best players". It ended up with a new contract instead even though Victor had three years left on his contract. Normally they don't do extensions with players that have so long left on their contract, but when interest came in from this type of level they had no other alternatives."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Good point, if arsenal score more than united then they'll be favourites to win the game.

Not what he said at all but sure you knew that.

Yet here you still are.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Hasan Cetinkaya (Victors agent) has been interviewed in a Swedish newspaper and had this to say about Victor Lindelöf:

"Victor Nilsson Lindelöf was perhaps Manchester Uniteds best player last season and with that comes interest from clubs who are better on the pitch right now. When Mathijs De Ligt chose Juventus, Victor became Barcelonas first choice. His play style, his DNA is very close to the way Barcelonas plays. He's one of the best center backs on his feet and Barcelona wanted him. That was it. I can talk openly about that now.

They contacted Ed Woodward multiples times with concrete offers. I met with their head of transfers Matt Judge to try and get a deal through. But they said "There is no way. Victor is one of our best players". It ended up with a new contract instead even though Victor had three years left on his contract. Normally they don't do extensions with players that have so long left on their contract, but when interest came in from this type of level they had no other alternatives."

So our players are using barcelona to get huge contracts from ed,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know theres some jokes being made here about Klopp and Pep's squad conditioning but I reckon doping is absolutely rampant in football, I just wish our team could take the right ****ing drugs :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"It ended up with a new contract instead even though Victor had three years left on his contract. Normally they don't do extensions with players that have so long left on their contract, but when interest came in from this type of level they had no other alternatives."

Agent is quids in whether he moves or stays and has to do f*** all

These guys are a curse on the game.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

How the club has come to this. A fella who can’t win a header from a goal kick under any sort of pressure holding Ed Woodward over a barrel for a payrise with 3 years on his contract.

The way people speak about his distribution you would think he has 30 assists a season in him. He gets the ball and gives it to pogba matic Shaw or bisaka. There has been times he is just an extra body in the back 4 that the opposition has to ease out of the way. 2 dms supporting him against the likes of west ham and he still looks exposed.

Agent: Ed Barcelona want to sign my client

Ed: who?

Agent: Lindelof

Ed: remind me

Agent: centre half, great distribution, Japan noodles used him on the cover of their packaging

Ed: how does an extra 50 g sound

Agent: see ye again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Well either Barcelona contacted United about their genuine interest in Lindelof, their agent is lying in that quote when he has no real reason to or the agent and Barca were in cahoots.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well either Barcelona contacted United about their genuine interest in Lindelof, their agent is lying in that quote when he has no real reason to or the agent and Barca were in cahoots.

They could have sold him and bought any mid level centre half with a bit of pace in the premier league and Harry Maguire would look twice as good this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thank Christ De Gea signed a new contract.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Thank Christ De Gea signed a new contract.
    Henderson just made amends.

You could also nearly say he did a De Gea which is just as worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Henderson just made amends.

You could also nearly say he did a De Gea which is just as worrying.

Never got that clichè in commentary. Is it really amends when the initial mistake is still going to cost them the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Henderson has been brilliant so far this year.

Yes he made a blunder but have to remember he’s a young keeper in his first Prem season. Are we going to forget about DDG and even Schmeichel making errors when they first arrived?

Speaking of Schmeichel I see he was on twitter supporting Dean. Definitely that goalkeeper union feel to it.

Don’t get why fans are so quick to jump on their own. Especially young players with ambition trying to prove themselves.

As much as I like DDG I think Henderson has been holding his own this year, despite that blunder. Definitely future number 1. Like I said before if he does leave I’d be more than happy to see Deano given the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Also what’s noticeable is most Blades fans on social media are coming out with support for him while most of the criticism and digs are from MU fans.

I’d say since he’s a crowd favorite with them, and they’ve seen him win them many games on his way to becoming a huge part of their recent rise and success that they are more understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

BDI wrote: »
    He gets the ball and gives it to pogba matic Shaw or bisaka. r

Can I just check, you are talking about a central defender here, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes!

EFjagKFXoAA5h03?format=jpg&name=small

Can I just check, you are talking about a central defender here, right?

They talk of his distribution like he is doing anything other centre backs arnt doing. There’s lads playing under 14 schoolboy football that would be told off for not doing simple things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

RasTa wrote: »
    Yes!

EFjagKFXoAA5h03?format=jpg&name=small

They have a James too!?

Now that is a goalkeeping error that's inexcusable.

• Advertisement

Chelsea look about 10 times the team we are attacking wise, not much between the teams in terms of talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anybody here remember the time before Sir Alex? Big Ron was my first United manager and looking at things today, I've never seen a worse United squad. So many gutless sh1ts on our team, but at least Ole has started shipping some out. But maybe because I remember some barren times, I'm prepared to be patient. So I'll take The Europa Leagues for another couple of season if needs be.

The three summer signings have been a step in the right direction. Three lads who will play for the badge and give their all. I hope the millions squandered on the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez etc, won't be repeated. But Ole must finish the task, the remaining wasters must be cleared out, the likes of Jones, Lindgard, Matic, Rojo, Young, Fred and the waste of space that is Pogba. And I'll be going on the píss for the week if we ever get rid of that clown Jones.

If we can keep making the kind of signings we made this summer, then in 3-4 transfer windows things might look a whole lot brighter. It's great to see the kids getting on the field. But the worry is, they have no quality around them, no role models to guide them & support them and that can potentially damage their development & confidence.

I think we also got to give Ole his fair crack at the whip. We can't forget that the wasters on the field, are guys who were here before he arrived and our three best players are guys he brought in. So he deserves the time to bring in the kind of player he wants and ship out the wasters we don't need. It's gonna take a couple of seasons and don't forget the players he's moved on, has sent a message to the remaining wasters and they aren't going to play for him or badge because they never have.

So afaic, when we reach a tipping point where most of the clowns we need to move are gone. I've no doubt we will see a different team and probably the return of the United we know. We just need to patient and also hope that Ed Woodfúckward doesn't start screwing things up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Things were bad from 2003 to 2007 too if honest. But back then you had a manager you could trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

@sonofVidic

I don’t think anybody has a problem giving a manager time. The problem is we have a manager with no pedigree and a board that’s made mistake after mistake with no actual identifiable plan for nearly a decade. Ole isn’t in the job as a part of some long term strategy planned by the club, he’s an interim manager that got the full time job based on results that were a manager bounce. That’s it. Ole got the job because of two exceptional months and nothing else. If he was some random Norwegian lad there would be uproar but he has a connection with the fans so he gets a pass. A very clever con from the owners, who have been stringing fans along for years with PR bullsh*t.

I don’t mind backing him but logically he’s a massive long shot and no different to backing Moyes around the time he was sacked. That’s how far the club has fallen, we were in better shape with Moyes at the helm. That league winning squad was also dismantled by LVG so it wasn’t just Moyes that was the problem. But it’s taken the club 7 years to go full circle, back to a Moyes type scenario but with a less experienced manager!

The ultimate issue is Woodward and the board who don’t know how to run the footballing side. But while they are making money they don’t really care. That’s why it feels like the club is going nowhere fast. I hope Ole works out but there is no logical reason that suggests it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

Good start for Sanchez, two in two minutes away to Sampdoria

This is it wrote: »

Lukaku was dropped to play him, mad world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Just raid spurs between the next 2 windows for poch kane and eriksen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

This is it wrote: »

First goal was a belter :pac:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1177982945795153923?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/DiscoMirror/status/1177983479306444801?s=20

This guy is like DDGs best friend, seems very close with Mata too.

I do think our coaching staff and fitness staff need a massive shake up. I look at Ole, Phelan, Carrick, and McKenna, none of them strike me as tactical masterminds. Way too inexperienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Arsenal match really is a must win if we lose we'll be 3pts from relegation, 6pts from top 4 and 13pts from the top, very possible we could be in the bottom 3 after the Liverpool game

How ****ing grim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

He's hardly celebrating that, jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

xtal191 wrote: »
    Arsenal match really is a must win if we lose we'll be 3pts from relegation, 6pts from top 4 and 13pts from the top, very possible we could be in the bottom 3 after the Liverpool game

How ****ing grim

Yeah but it's ole at the wheel, needs time because it looks like a plan is a foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

AidoEirE wrote: »
    He's hardly celebrating that, jesus christ

Just got sent off for diving

xtal191 wrote: »

How ****ing grim

****, I didn’t know that. That’s absolutely awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Yeah but it's ole at the wheel, needs time because it looks like a plan is a foot

The way its currently going if he stays at the wheel then we are going to end up in worse shape than Richard Keogh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

The way its currently going if he stays at the wheel then we are going to end up in worse shape than Richard Keogh.

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.. total sarcastic post.

The nail in his coffin for me was Lukaku out the door and no one in. Never bought into the ole at the wheel fluff either, too many below par players here and too many that when it suits them to show what they're capable of and then go hiding as we seen when they reached the peak of 3rd in the table and looking like they could pull the rabbit out of the hat last season.

Mentally there isn't a player I can pick out of those lads that can hack it. I'll actually give Dave a pass cause he's the only one out of them all that has "done it" over a long period, yet his performances have fallen in line with the rest the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Theres a whatsapp group message about the lads that served keogh at the bar and the ambulance person on scene. I got it sent to me last night, his knee is torn to shreds. Shame as he was one of the better defenders last season.
    I'll try and post it up if im allowed

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Theres a whatsapp group message about the lads that served keogh at the bar and the ambulance person on scene. I got it sent to me last night, his knee is torn to shreds. Shame as he was one of the better defenders last season.
    I'll try and post it up if im allowed

Got the same, bar tab too, the knee is flittered if it is indeed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's a team improving
    No Ole, it really isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

how lucky we were to get the 3 points on that 1st game of the season v Chelsea,i say looking back now Chelsea are still kicking them selves or wondering how the lost.

and also our form or lack of form since that result purely shows we were steeped to get the 3 points v Chelsea.i think the top 6 teams will be licking there lips at the taught of playing us :( Monday night could dictate which way our season goes as in if we lose we are in dyer straits and if we win well it won,t change much really as in terms of where we are and where we are going.

would love to be able to see the xmas league table now,could be very scarey and could be the worst xmas table we have ever seen as united fans in quite a long time...…………………………….

Really good post over on reddit regarding Ole’s admiration for Klopp’s Liverpool. A good read.

I mentioned it earlier about our coaching staff as it feels like since SAF, only under LVG had a United team that was clearly well coached.
    Ole repeatedly has been effusive in his praise for Klopp, but you’re essentially looking at the wrong side. He’s expressed his admiration at the Klopp/Buvac sides, not the Klopp/Lijnders ones. This is reflected not only in his literal interviews, but also by examining the difference in playing profiles between the two.

What’s the difference? Buvac was probably the best in the world at coaching the counterpress. It was ruthless, effective and they swarmed the ball immediately after losing possession. “The press is the best playmaker in football,” Klopp used to say. Unfortunately, while they scored a ton of goals on the counter and off of counterpressing (and tell me if this sounds familiar), both at Dortmund and Liverpool things started to go wrong as the opposition began to adjust.

Teams would sit deep and narrow knowing that Dortmund could not really threaten them while in possession. As long as opposition limited the threat of the counter attack and played vertically quickly to avoid being counterpressed after winning the ball, Dortmund were terrible going forward. They ended up playing slow, meandering football and swinging too many crosses per game into the box which were easily handled as none of their players were really equipped to play like that. In a matter of a few seasons, they went from literal Bundesliga winners to last place for a lot of Klopp’s final season there.

Fast forward to Liverpool, similar problem. “Rock and roll” football that sounded good on paper and created a ton of explosive results, but wasn’t always great in terms of efficacy. Even with Salah and Virgil in their first seasons at the club (the former setting the all time record for goals in a PL season) they barely limped into fourth for the second consecutive season, largely based on the embarrassing results of their rivals. However, it was during that season (17/18) that he realized Buvac, his best friend in life and assistant manager for his entire career, could only take him so far and that if he wanted to be successful he needed new ideas.

He found them in Pepijn Lijnders, a coach at Liverpool (now assistant manager) who had returned after leaving in the first place to try to start managing on his own. Lijnders convinced Klopp that he needed to drastically change his style in order to compete, and Lijnders effected incredible change on the side. They secured key summer signings and transformed from a loose-at-the-back, counterattacking machine into a defensively-solid, possession-oriented side. He also preached a more conservative press as to deal with the burnout Klopp’s Liverpool had suffered with during the Christmas period and second half of every English season to reduce the staggering number of muscular injuries sustained from his former desire to constantly press high (this wasn’t as bad in Germany as they play a league season of only 34 matches and have a long winter break).

In months, Liverpool transformed from perennial top four competitors to team that put together the third-greatest Premier League side ever. Their new style also drastically reduced their upset potential by smaller clubs as it not only made them more capable of breaking down deep-lying opposition blocks, but also solidified themselves at the back and decreased the chance of the opposition nicking a goal themselves on the counter. Why am I bothering with this when no one will read this or even attempt to get my point? I’m glad you asked, me replying to myself.

We don’t have Pepijn Lijnders. We don’t even have Zeljko Buvac. The man who is one of if not the best coach of the attacking transition and defensive transition phases in football was not even able to make solely relying on those two things successful even in a supremely-talented squad, so we’re sure as hell not going to with (and no offense to him, great man) Mick ****ing Phelan as our assistant manager. As I yell repeatedly into the void on this subreddit, big teams require a possession-based game model. They need to be stellar in the attacking organization phase first and foremost, it cannot be an afterthought or lacklustre if they want to compete. We’re running into a lot of the same issues they did, only with a laughably worse manager and considerably worse coaching staff, and both of these things, even if they were on the same level as Pool’s staff, it wouldn’t matter as they’re idealizing a style that didn’t even work for Pool.

TL:DRYou’re comparing Ole to the wrong Liverpool game model. Their game model now is incredibly different from the playing profile he gushed praise in favor of and is clearly attempting to imitate on the pitch. All of these problems we’re having were hilariously predictable and that’s why I was frustrated at the possibility of his permanent appointment even during our winning run.

It’s unlikely we ever evolve like they did seeing as he hasn’t addressed any of these issues in nine months so unless some magical world class coach shows up on his doorstep and Ole sacks his assistant manager who is one of his best friends (which is EXACTLY what Klopp did to achieve success, before you say I’m being dramatic, only he was even closer to Buvac than Ole is to Phelan) we’re in for a pretty **** time and he’s probably not the man for this rebuild.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Removed this post, and will be reviewed by the mods.

That is just tragic. You lot take more pleasue from Mick than any number of CL wins.

It'd be funny if it wasnt so depressing. Get help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

U ok hun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

BMMachine, next time free call 116 123

pjohnson wrote: »
    That is just tragic. You lot take more pleasue from Mick than any number of CL wins.

It'd be funny if it wasnt so depressing. Get help.

nah, Im just right. Hes small time and you love it. He makes the forum go vroom! Just the latest in a long list of small time Utd trolls. Tbh though, he has lasted a longer time. But yeah, theres the "get help" post front and centre. I need to be crazy or something yeah? Its not that this forum and thread is just a sh*tshow for the most part and that actual good, quality posts and posters are the exception and not the norm? Took a dive in 2012 and now its just this big sh*tshow with a few clowns front and centre (oh I forgot about "Turtdyturd or whatever the f*ck hes called. Lets be fair, Im a Liverpool fan this guy is grade A sh*tomite. A man and poster of no value, but hey hes all over Liverpool threads with his HILARIOUS jokes like the kind of rash you get from ill fitting Dunnes trousers).

BMMachine wrote: »
    nah, Im just right. Hes small time and you love it. He makes the forum go vroom! Just the latest in a long list of small time Utd trolls. Tbh though, he has lasted a longer time. But yeah, theres the "get help" post front and centre. I need to be crazy or something yeah? Its not that this forum and thread is just a sh*tshow for the most part and that actual good, quality posts and posters are the exception and not the norm? Took a dive in 2012 and now its just this big sh*tshow with a few clowns front and centre (oh I forgot about "Turtdyturd or whatever the f*ck hes called. Lets be fair, Im a Liverpool fan this guy is grade A sh*tomite. A man and poster of no value, but hey hes all over Liverpool threads with his HILARIOUS jokes like the kind of rash you get from ill fitting Dunnes trousers).

Your last 8 posts over the last year have all been in United threads bítching/crying about Mick and TSC. The only suprise re. Trolling is that you can still post on the site tbh.

oh here tell me how Fellaini isn't f*cking awful again :D
    and yeah, thats because i do not give one iota of a f*ck about this forum and the way it works anymore. The only thing that made me post all that was that joke of a feedback thread which tbh I shouldnt have read (i mean look what its led to!). But thats the thing, the mods wont do anything about Mick mainly becuase Ive said it (yes they are that petty, even though I dont matter at all and that loads of the feedback was about him, being a troll who apparently had one more chance not to troll). Him and the way hes treated is just a fantastic example of how bollocks this place has become. LORDTEAMSHADOWCLAN resigning out of this false sense of pride and principle when hes deleting a trolls posts because he likes the trolling. Then the mods and admins pretend something is important and matters :D

Oh a good while ago (over a decade!) there was this poster called Applehunter. He posted this thing about how Liverpool fans were murderers and all this toxic sh*t. A mod deleted it and pretended it didnt exist. Applehunter wasnt a Utd fan, he was a LoI fan and knew a few people so it was grand. Thanks4thefish might know about it, but hes been modding this sh*thole 13/14 years or something. Imagine that. Imagine your life doing that. Pretending some little toxic troll isn't a troll because the sense of balance and moderation in your head has been warped by years or disconnected forum use. Thats pretty much where he is and thats why guys like Mick^ can troll and troll, but hey, Irish Man Utd fan syndrome :)

I havnt seen rants like that in quite some time, shine on you crazy diamond.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement