Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Amount of fans saying this all summer.
    Incredible how it couldn't have been done the summer gone and got the players we so obviously needed up front while still losing Lukaku in the process. Lukaku leaving was obvious since Ole took over. Nevermind the summer gone.

Backpedaling as the realization sets in that Rashford can't get you 20+ goals a season. The decision him or the board (or both) made only a few months ago.

Now Ole saying he needs a striker publicly will guarantee we will be robbed blind in the transfer market.

It wasn't long ago Jose got criticized for apperantly affecting Rashford by "not playing him" or chosing Lukaku and Ibra over him.
    Even by some critics.
    Fact is he played tonnes of games and was actually more productive in a positional rotation for Jose than he is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Even with all our injuries and our bad run of form I feel little different going into this game as I have going into it the past few season. I wouldn't be surprised if United win, lose or draw and there could be small margins that decide the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Even with all our injuries and our bad run of form I feel little different going into this game as I have going into it the past few season. I wouldn't be surprised if United win, lose or draw and there could be small margins that decide the game.

Our expectations have basically been taken away from us. We used to expect to win every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Creative striker I.e Manzukic. Hardly inspires confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

billyhead wrote: »
    Creative striker I.e Manzukic. Hardly inspires confidence.

Think he was talking about 2 different players, a goalscorer (who knew we would need one of those eh?) And a creative player, I'd say a no 10 or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Trigger wrote: »
    Think he was talking about 2 different players, a goalscorer (who knew we would need one of those eh?) And a creative player, I'd say a no 10 or so

It only took until the end of September to realise that Rashford isn't a CF despite the player himself saying it and the realisation that Mata isn't up to it anymore and all Lingard is good for is making dumb videos and keeping Pogba and Beanz entertained.
    Love or hate Pogba,the fact is that he's the only truly creative player we have that can pull something different off to unlock a defence. Long gone are the days when the goals were spread through the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

100% agree with the manager's view

“If the right one [had been available], if it was there, we would have [signed a forward],” Solskjaer said. “It was time for Rom to go. He knows that. He didn’t want to be here. What is the point in having players that don’t want to be here?

“And there’s no point getting players in that you’re not 100 per cent sure about. When you get players in, you need the right ones that are going to stay here for a longer period and that’s the long-term thinking we have to show. I cannot think, ‘I need a player because this is my reputation’. No, it’s the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

DM_7 wrote: »

“If the right one [had been available], if it was there, we would have [signed a forward],” Solskjaer said. “It was time for Rom to go. He knows that. He didn’t want to be here. What is the point in having players that don’t want to be here?

“And there’s no point getting players in that you’re not 100 per cent sure about. When you get players in, you need the right ones that are going to stay here for a longer period and that’s the long-term thinking we have to show. I cannot think, ‘I need a player because this is my reputation’. No, it’s the club.

I agree with his principles that's fine but he had all summer to sign forwards, and midfielders we need both equally as much it's not just a case of we need one striker nope we need creative midfield players, need defensive midfield players, need right attacker, need striker and possible a number 10 depending on how he wants to line up.

If the only attacking player that was sure about joining United is Daniel James then we are well and truly fuked. Hirving lozano and Tielmans moved this summer two players united well and truly would need to be add to the squad... So ole telling us he couldn't persuade either one of them to join the squad?

I support ole and will give him time but please cut out the bullsht to the media. If he ain't gonna tell the truth then just dodge the question people will lose faith of he continues with the sound bites.

Welcome to June 2019 OLE :o

Thinking more about it, maybe it's a thinly veiled dig at Woodward. Ole probably had his targets and no doubt Woodward vetoed that and wanted to bring in someone else.
    Wouldn't be the first time that happened,just look back to last year with Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Thinking more about it, maybe it's a thinly veiled dig at Woodward. Ole probably had his targets and no doubt Woodward vetoed that and wanted to bring in someone else.

Exactly this. It's highly likely that Ole had a budget for this summer and the players he wanted were available.

Maybe he should have go an attacker instead of AWB but it could be that none fit the profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

The vast majority of viewers could see we needed a forward and a creative midfielder, either to play a bit deeper or one to link midfield and our attack line. So here we are at the end of September and our manager is admitting such!!

It all sounds lovely talking about the right players, and players staying the course but this is not modern football. A player coming from another region of the UK or abroad has no affiliation to United......that is absolute fairytale stuff!! Ole's romantic ideals will be his down fall. You buy to improve the team.

Ole saying the right players weren't available in the summer, despite having months to search and negotiate deals, what makes him believe that 1) the right players are suddenly going to be available in January 2) that Ed and the team can manage to identify said players and be able to negotiate a deal, considering the length it took to finalise summer deals 3) will we be an attractive proposition to the "right" players. If we are struggling in the league, will players that can improve us be attracted by a move here. I said last month, that no CL would affect us signing top level players, and that if we miss out next season, or seem to be missing out, then that will further add to the stumbling block, and that we will either sign sub level players or players because we offered huge wages which then goes against what Ole just said about the "right" players.
    The longer it goes on, the last 2 summer transfer windows have been atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I did recoil a little when they mentioned on Wednesday night that they had opened contract negotiations with Paulie. Prepare for a tabloid saga of Homeric proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Take with a pinch of salt but still

Given his contribution thus far he shouldn't be on more than 100k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Dunno if anyone else has been watching Full Time Devils podcast with Laurie Whitwell from The Athletic but on the most recent one, he said Ole was the one who said he was happy with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Exactly this. It's highly likely that Ole had a budget for this summer and the players he wanted were available.

Maybe he should have go an attacker instead of AWB but it could be that none fit the profile.

Agreed. I believe he could have signed some like mandzukic or llorente but decided against. The Dybala deal was a swap deal with Lukaku, not cash!

It wasnt like Ole had £150m to spend on a striker and midfielder. If he had, I've no doubt in my mind, that he would have spent the money!!!

The problem i have tho is buying AWB when we have Dalot, Laird, Williams, Young (even hang onto Darmian). The dogs on the street know Creativity is and was a bigger problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Now Ole saying he needs a striker publicly will guarantee we will be robbed blind in the transfer market.

It wasn't long ago Jose got criticized for apperantly affecting Rashford by "not playing him" or chosing Lukaku and Ibra over him.
    Even by some critics.

By saying he needs a striker publicly puts pressure back on the club, to recognize this and recruit the striker/strikers we need. Maybe Ole feels the club have been dragging their heels regarding getting him a striker and the only way to do something is to call them out.

Any supporter knew from watching the team of late that we struggle to score. A big factor is down to our lack of strikers and forwards.. another transfer window and nothing done to fix this.... something HAS to be done. If Ole publicly coming out and stating the obvious can help I’m all for it...a smart move I think the ball is firmly now back in the court of the board to deliver...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dunno if anyone else has been watching Full Time Devils podcast with Laurie Whitwell from The Athletic but on the most recent one, he said Ole was the one who said he was happy with Martial, Rashford and Greenwood.

I'd have zero doubt about this, tbh.

Ole has made it abundantly clear since he joined that Rashford was the striker he wanted to build around. He benched Lukaku and pretty much had amassive falling out with him, and we barely got linked to any striker in the summer (and we get linked to everyone). Even the Manduzkic links are ones to a player who'd be a squad player.

I hate going for "told you so" style posts, but it's been said plenty in recent months that Ole was staking his job on whether or not Rashford could suddenly become a 20 goal a season striker. And it's not paid off at all.

Maybe now we can shut down this narrative though that all the players like Rashford needs is for "da shackles to come of". We've been that obsessed with playing kids from the academy that we've lost the obsession with actually building the strongest team we could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Strumms wrote: »
    By saying he needs a striker publicly puts pressure back on the club, to recognize this and recruit the striker/strikers we need. Maybe Ole feels the club have been dragging their heels regarding getting him a striker and the only way to do something is to call them out.

Waiting until September to finally say something would be the dumbest way of doing that possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

damowill wrote: »
    Agreed. I believe he could have signed some like mandzukic or llorente but decided against. The Dybala deal was a swap deal with Lukaku, not cash!

It wasnt like Ole had £150m to spend on a striker and midfielder. If he had, I've no doubt in my mind, that he would have spent the money!!!

The problem i have tho is buying AWB when we have Dalot, Laird, Williams, Young (even hang onto Darmian). The dogs on the street know Creativity is and was a bigger problem.

You would have been happy going into this season with Laird, Williams or Young starting for United? Right back has been a huge problem for United for years and AWB has sorted it. I'd hope that Dalot is being looked at for a wide right role as I think he has the skillset, kind of like Bale was on the other side at a similar age (injuries included :p ).

Not sure what the solution is in the very short term bar hoping the injured players come back soon but the crippling negativity has already taken over as expected. Nothing really changes does it? Nor will it when players and agents have more power than the manager. Everyone talks about wanting the club to move a different direction but are then not able to handle the pitfalls associated with that change.

Listened to one the other day,the blame was laid squarely at Woodward's door yet one thing they agreed on is if Ole was complicit in agreeing that a subpar squad was okay then he should head for the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »

Ole has made it abundantly clear since he joined that Rashford was the striker he wanted to build around. He benched Lukaku and pretty much had amassive falling out with him, and we barely got linked to any striker in the summer (and we get linked to everyone). Even the Manduzkic links are ones to a player who'd be a squad player.

I hate going for "told you so" style posts, but it's been said plenty in recent months that Ole was staking his job on whether or not Rashford could suddenly become a 20 goal a season striker. And it's not paid off at all.

Maybe now we can shut down this narrative though that all the players like Rashford needs is for "da shackles to come of". We've been that obsessed with playing kids from the academy that we've lost the obsession with actually building the strongest team we could.

If he was putting faith in Rashford being a 20 goal a season striker then he probably would have played him there at the start of the season tbh...

Ronaldo is an anomaly I know and Rashford won't become that player in all likelihood but he wasn't a 20 goal a season player until he was a little older than Rashford. Look at how much the likes of Callum Wilson, Jamie Vardy, Daniel Sturridge, Defoe and a good few other English strikers improved in their mid 20s. Ole is supposed to be growing players but is being suffocated by the win now mentality and it is affecting the players already.

Ole getting thrown to the wolves by woodward most likely

• Strumms wrote: »

Any supporter knew from watching the team of late that we struggle to score. A big factor is down to our lack of strikers and forwards.. another transfer window and nothing done to fix this.... something HAS to be done. If Ole publicly coming out and stating the obvious can help I’m all for it...a smart move I think the ball is firmly now back in the court of the board to deliver...

As much as I despise the board, I think there is slightly more evidence to suggest that Ole made the call here and has learned the hard way that Rashford just won't give him what he thought he could. He took a massive risk and it was a poor risk to take. But again board have proven time and time again they are useless at footballing decisions so who am I to say who's fault it is. Just sharing my thoughts.

Out of interest, how do you think Rashford feels about todays comments?

As much as I despise the board, I think there is slightly more evidence to suggest that Ole made the call here and has learned the hard way that Rashford just won't give him what he thought he could. He took a massive risk and it was a poor risk to take. But again board have proven time and time again they are useless at footballing decisions so who am I to say who's fault it is. Just sharing my thoughts.

Out of interest, how do you think Rashford feels about todays comments?

I'd say Rashford is relieved,he clearly can't play the role of main striker and his form is hitting rock bottom. Maybe this injury is a blessing in disguise,get him out of the limelight for a while and hopefully Martial is back next weekend to take up the slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Did ole not commit to buying a striker in the hopes it was what rashford needed to take the next step?, he was gonna be the main striker with no other main backup so he knew he was the main guy and would boost him, obviously it's not working so he has to go for a striker now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Alright lads, LFC fan here just dropping in to say im really looking forward to this game, I honestly havent looked forward to watching a UTD game in a long time so hopefully it will be one where ye come out playing.

Im obviously up for Arsenal but do want to see what ye can produce when the chips are down.

For me its games like this that makes football worthwhile, as the man says...this is what we play for.

He started with Martial as his main striker though this season which would suggest he didn't see Rashford as his main goalscoring forward, or at least recognised that he's not going to do it from a central position. That's the bit that always gets lost in this narrative. I'm not defending Ole per se, because I made my opinion clear on him last season, but I don't believe Rashford's deficiencies as a centre forward are only only dawning on him now.

As for our transfer activity, I don't believe Ole has that strong a say in it anyway. As he said himself, he only comes in at the end of the process. Our deficiencies in that area were down to a combination of our usual ineptitude and there not being as a big a bag of cash to spend as people sometimes think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

IK09 wrote: »
    Alright lads, LFC fan here just dropping in to say im really looking forward to this game, I honestly havent looked forward to watching a UTD game in a long time so hopefully it will be one where ye come out playing.

Im obviously up for Arsenal but do want to see what ye can produce when the chips are down.

For me its games like this that makes football worthwhile, as the man says...this is what we play for.

Glad someone is! :pac:

Unfortunately I don't have your enthusiasm where United will come out playing given the recent form we're in. Would love to be surprised obviously.

I am looking forward to Greenwood v David Luiz though, a young Englishman made his debut v Arsenal couple years ago and he did alright that game. Greenwood could terrorise them if he plays with no fear.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Glad someone is! :pac:

Unfortunately I don't have your enthusiasm where United will come out playing given the recent form we're in. Would love to be surprised obviously.

I am looking forward to Greenwood v David Luiz though, a young Englishman made his debut v Arsenal couple years ago and he did alright that game. Greenwood could terrorise them if he plays with no fear.

Fingers crossed

Ya i know what you mean. Greenwood looks like a really talented player from what ive seen. Are you going into this fixture with an impending sense of doom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    He started with Martial as his main striker though this season which would suggest he didn't see Rashford as his main goalscoring forward, or at least recognised that he's not going to do it from a central position.

The bigger point at hand actually applies to both of those players, its just that teflon Martial is yet again out of the firing line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think the only game I've seen Greenwood play as a striker in was the one last season right at the end. Forget who it was against, and I feel the result was poor.

But Greenwood was making runs and trying (and coming close) to get on the end of balls. I think he'll thrive IF there's some creativity behind him, and while I wish it wans't against Arsenal and wish it wasn't forced by injury, I'm actually curious to see how he does leading the line. Rashford needed time off one way or the other.

Ya i know what you mean. Greenwood looks like a really talented player from what ive seen. Are you going into this fixture with an impending sense of doom?

Arsenal could let us play to our strengths and how ole wants to play but we have lots of injuries to the players who make it work, defensively we are ok and arsenal dont have much creativity in midfield, could possibly see it being a **** game with no one able to control midfield.

If cellobas plays id make arsenal favorites, a lot depends on the starting 11s for me

Wouldn't say doom necessarily but it's a tough watch these days.

The Chelsea game gave so much hope but since it's been brutal. No sense of creativity, urgency, finishing ability. Everything has been negative.

Lots myself and others mentioned in here over the Summer have come to fruition and it's tough because how can we see it, whereas those in charge don't?

All stems down from the owners and Woodward really. United are a commercial business who happen to play football these days. Their ambition is the complete opposite of the fans and it's really showing on the pitch.

I'm off to the match tonight, maybe I'll be the hero we need but not the hero we deserve.

I'm off to the match tonight, maybe I'll be the hero we need but not the hero we deserve.

Can you play right wing or as a number 10?

Can you play right wing or as a number 10?

Ironically right and left wing with the odd stint in CM was where I used to play. Living in Manchester a year and a half waiting patiently for Woody to see some sense and call me up.

• Advertisement

There ye are now :pac:

Enjoy the game

• I'm off to the match tonight, maybe I'll be the hero we need but not the hero we deserve.

Enjoy, be nice to get the win for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

DM_7 wrote: »

Eh Pogba?

Eh Mandzukic?

https://twitter.com/AlexKayJelski/status/1178553504077623296

I'd agree if I believed a word he's saying

Lord TSC wrote: »

Avoid told you so is a good idea when Ole wants Martial as his CF and said he wanted a striker if Lukaku left in the summer.

I agree Ole may have said okay to the strike options he would have if the type of player wanted was not available. Good to see a manager make a brave call like that, where the manager puts the club above all else. Pointless signing more Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku, Mkhitaryans who are gone inside 24 months (evidence by the up down nature of the team last few seasons).

We all know the club had relatively weak options this season. It is about foundations this season, getting people out and getting squad players established is as important as bringing in players for long term like Maguire and AWB. Ole has done a very good DOF type job so far. Needs to do a lot more on coaching side.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Eh Pogba

Nobody put the money up so it was never an option for him to go.

Lukaku was player who wanted to go to a club and that club was willing to put up the money asked.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree with his principles that's fine but he had all summer to sign forwards, and midfielders we need both equally as much it's not just a case of we need one striker nope we need creative midfield players, need defensive midfield players, need right attacker, need striker and possible a number 10 depending on how he wants to line up.

If the only attacking player that was sure about joining United is Daniel James then we are well and truly fuked. Hirving lozano and Tielmans moved this summer two players united well and truly would need to be add to the squad... So ole telling us he couldn't persuade either one of them to join the squad?

I support ole and will give him time but please cut out the bullsht to the media. If he ain't gonna tell the truth then just dodge the question people will lose faith of he continues with the sound bites.

He said last summer he wanted a striker if Lukaku left and had always said he only wants the right type of player to come in so the last paragraph confuses me.

I agree that it appears players were available who United could try to sign but we know far more goes on. Tielemans for example had a horrible time at Monaco, every chance United would be reluctant to take a player with a recent history of having a bad time.

In the end the Club need to get players they are convinced about. Makes sense to make use of McTominay or Martial or Shaw, give them chance to be the best they can over buying a player they are unsure of. We already saw Young, Mata, Fellaini repeatedly do better and retake their places above the big signings brought in. Can't keep making that mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Made my way over to Manchester today, think I'm more looking forward to the blaize then the game

Sirsok wrote: »
    Made my way over to Manchester today, think I'm more looking forward to the blaize then the game

Haven't been in there in ages, it's a cattle mart.
    The Sam Platts crew are all up in the Tollgate, about a 10 minute walk from the ground,not ideal if it's raining. The Matchstick Man is where I like to go for pre match pints.
    It'll be interesting to get your feedback on what the locals have to say about what's going on with the club.
    One thing is that the match going fans are always behind the team no matter what. They put no truck in what some fella in Galway or Hong Kong who never went to a game says online.

Was happy reading the first part...........not so much the second.

What's the betting Pepe has his coming out party tonight against one of our auxillary FB's? Auba was always going to give them the run around but with the added threat of the other now I fear a little for us if we concede early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wouldn't start Rashford. Also living in Manchester and can see Old Trafford from the bedroom window but not giving the Glazers any money tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement