Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Didn't think Young was ever getting across to that in time and PEAs finish meant DDG had no chance.

Thought we did alright second half and a freak mistake was punished.

I still wonder why Ole's tactical change when we need a goal is to go 4-3-3 with Pogba pushed further up the pitch yet he refuses to go with this approach for the full 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Nobody does, but the trap is to give Ole time for the wrong reasons.

A- Has Ole earned more time in the job, does he merit it on his own performances?

B- Or is he getting it because other managers failed and the club don't want to keep changing?

I want it to be the A but I'm concerned that it is B.

And you could well be right. But personally I wouldn't be up for getting him out the door right now like some.

Would prefer to see how we are set around December/January. I know some people will argue that could be too late to act but would rather see if he can actually turn it around and prove himself.

More than likely his make or break period with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Really? I thought if he was to be your main man defender and that he'd be organising the defence? Not too much to ask for 80m I would have thought.

If Tuanzebe's pass was 2/3 inches to the right, this whole conversation would be null and void as the ball would have probably been moved up the pitch easy enough. think about that.. a miss placed pass.. that's where the problem was.. nothing to do with organisation..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This is it wrote: »
    I hope you're trying to troll United fans, if not you haven't a notion. Best ignored either way I suppose :)

Strange response, but not surprising I guess given the tribal devotion to these clubs.

When you pay that much for a centre back, you want him to be someone that will lead the defence I'd imagine. Like Van Dijk at Liverpool for example (I'm not a Liverpool fan). That player should have been passing back to Maguire instead of across the way. Maguire should have been demanding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I reckon he will be gone during the internationals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Love Roy on MNF

Keano chatting on Sky the now. Always find him interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Nobody does, but the trap is to give Ole time for the wrong reasons.

A- Has Ole earned more time in the job, does he merit it on his own performances?

B- Or is he getting it because other managers failed and the club don't want to keep changing?

I want it to be the A but I'm concerned that it is B.
    Trigger wrote: »

Don't think so for the reason BucketyBuck has exactly said in B. Whether it's the right or wrong decision only time will tell.

3 signings have been great

In game subs and team selections at times have been puzzling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Strange response, but not surprising I guess given the tribal devotion to these clubs.

When you pay that much for a centre back, you want him to be someone that will lead the defence I'd imagine. Like Van Dijk at Liverpool for example (I'm not a Liverpool fan). That player should have been passing back to Maguire instead of across the way. Maguire should have been demanding it.

Tribal? I'm far from a United fan, I bask in their demise, but enough about me.

Maguire made himself available, it should have gone to him to send it up the pitch. As soon as he saw the mistake, made by another player, he drove forward to try catch them offside, that was the best he could do considering the pass took him well out of the game. I'm no fan of Maguire but he wasn't at fault, whether he cost 80m or 800m, makes no odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Keano chatting on Sky the now. Always find him interesting.

Haven't liked him talking in the past but has come across well tonight in fairness

This is it wrote: »
    Tribal? I'm far from a United fan, I bask in their demise, but enough about me.

Maguire made himself available, it should have gone to him to send it up the pitch. As soon as he saw the mistake, made by another player, he drove forward to try catch them offside, that was the best he could do considering the pass took him well out of the game. I'm no fan of Maguire but he wasn't at fault, whether he cost 80m or 800m, makes no odds.

I disagree. The other Man U player should've passed it to him because he should be imposing himself on that defence as the number one guy. When/if he called for the pass back to him it should be going to him.

What's the 80m for if you're not getting that?

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Haven't liked him talking in the past but has come across well tonight in fairness

He's always good value. He'll get plenty of gigs in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

kerplun k wrote: »
    Blarrrrh, I’m signing off. Too upset now after that, I’m too vulnerable right now for reacting negatively to trolling comments. Probably best I just go to bed.

If you're upset after a result and react negatively to trolling comments you aren't held responsible for your actions, tbf. As long as you make sure to state your emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

80m spent on Maguire and theres no milk in the fridge for my cuppa tea.

God damn you Maguire!

pjohnson wrote: »
    80m spent on Maguire and theres no milk in the fridge for my cuppa tea.

God damn you Maguire!

Not been good value yet anyway. I recall Pallister being signed for a recored fee at the time and it took him a a good while to justify his fee. Maguire there has some job on his hands to justify that price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Holding a player responsible for another player not passing to him is one of the most bizarre things I've read in the soccer forum. He could have cost 2 billion and he still won't be able to Jedi mind control his team-mates.

• VW 1 wrote: »
    If you're upset after a result and react negatively to trolling comments you aren't held responsible for your actions, tbf. As long as you make sure to state your emotional.

Either that or hold off till Sunday morning, square away 2 bottles of Bucky and go on a 'scary next level show up at your front door with an axe' style abusive rant

Holding a player responsible for another player not passing to him is one of the most bizarre things I've read in the soccer forum. He could have cost 2 billion and he still won't be able to Jedi mind control his team-mates.

Hmmmm. I'll leave it there. 5 Thanks and counting for that one:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is coming across as quite insightful, calm and thoughtful instead of the negative, reactionary, almost grudge holder that he has often seemed when a camera is put in front of him.... I’d imagine before sky allowed him to appear he’d have to undertake some media training and demonstrate a competency to carry out the task before he is put in front of a few million households.

Am I right in thinking we have 2 points more this season compared to the corresponding fixtures last season?

And looks like we've scored the exact same amount of goals in those games too.

While we should be seeing some sort of progress in terms of results from last year I think there have been some small improvements in terms of performance. A long long way to go to get where we want to be but I don't think it's the catastrophe that means Ole needs to be let go in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Trigger wrote: »

Relax, The club has a plan, I have some tips to help you get on board with this strategy..... Make sure you are sitting down before you start.

Repeat after me “Rebuild”

hypnotize.gif

Now repeat “Give him time”

cfb79f8ad15d021f45043632deb165ac.gif

Now repeat “Manager credentials are over rated”

tenor.gif

Now anytime you get disappointed with how things are going you will Instinctively convince yourself we are on the right road with no idea why you think it....

• For a moment that worked
    Was nice to have a short feeling of positivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fairly sure he's using it as a shop window, he has definitely mellowed his words on Ferguson.

That header from the corner on the 70th minute 5 yards out that was put over when the player was unmarked, I can’t remember who had that chance but just so fûcking wasteful...and crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking we have 2 points more this season compared to the corresponding fixtures last season?

While we should be seeing some sort of progress in terms of results from last year I think there have been some small improvements in terms of performance. A long long way to go to get where we want to be but I don't think it's the catastrophe that means Ole needs to be let go in the morning.

We are 1 point worse off, compared to corresponding games of last season.

Considering at this point last season it was said Jose had lost the dressing room, was fighting with the star players and that the performances were horrid........I'm really not sure how much positive spin can be put on this season so far.
    I know people will try to be optimistic but I can't fathom why bar some romantic hope that Ole succeeds. Because, nothing in the last 7 months indicates he will. It's just excuse after excuse......players not happy, football too defensive, fitness.....now it's rebuild(despite the previous 3 managers having to try to rebuild too!!!), "right" players not available. Where is the attacking "United Way" football we were told we would get? Ole sounds great in interviews and presser's saying the right things, but the evidence on the pitch is not backing it up.

No we have one point less then this time last season

Leicester w 2-1
    Brighton L 3-2
    Spurs L 3-0
    Burnley w 2-0
    Watford w 2-1
    Wolves 1-1
    West Ham L 3-1

Points - 10 goals - 9 united scored in 6 of 7 games. Would of been less goals conceded had Ed poneyed up for maguire aswell.

Drumpot wrote: »
    No we have one point less then this time last season

Leicester w 2-1
    Brighton L 3-2
    Spurs L 3-0
    Burnley w 2-0
    Watford w 2-1
    Wolves 1-1
    West Ham L 3-1

Points - 10 goals - 9 united scored in 6 of 7 games. Would of been less goals conceded had Ed poneyed up for maguire aswell.

Poster mentioned orresponding fixtures rather than this time last season.

PARlance wrote: »

We are 1 point worse off after same amount of games played. Drumpot is correct.

PARlance wrote: »

The Poster said We have 2 more points and same amount of goals as this time last year. The goals scored is correct , what do you think he meant other then comparing our first 7 this season with last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Strumms wrote: »
    That header from the corner on the 70th minute 5 yards out that was put over when the player was unmarked, I can’t remember who had that chance but just so fûcking wasteful...and crap.

mc tominay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Adamocovic wrote: »
    And you could well be right. But personally I wouldn't be up for getting him out the door right now like some.

Would prefer to see how we are set around December/January. I know some people will argue that could be too late to act but would rather see if he can actually turn it around and prove himself.

More than likely his make or break period with us.

For myself I didn't particularly want to be down on Ole, but I just can't ignore that the team was terrible for the last 3 months of the season, he had a full pre-season, and the team has started again every bit as terrible as they left off. At some point that stops being a run and starts being the norm, and thats not a board issue, thats the coaching.

I detest most of the players in that squad but there is also that question nobody can answer, these players were able to play good football for 2 months under Ole. Since then those same players have been utterly crap. Thats not Woodward, thats the coaching.

Many of those players look ten times worse than they ever did under Mourinho, ironically attacking players like Lingard and Rashford are totally in the toilet. The team looks completely disjointed game after game after game and performances like tonight are now common place. Coaching.

I just think you need to really ignore the elephant in the room if people want to stick with the "rebuild" line. Sure its a rebuild, but why is everybody playing so bad?

The Poster said We have 2 more points and same amount of goals as this time last year. The goals scored is correct , what do you think he meant other then comparing our first 7 this season with last?
    I did not say this time last season, I said corresponding fixtures.

Chelsea h
    Wolves a
    Palace h
    Southampton a
    Leicester h
    West Ham a
    Arsenal h

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Either that or hold off till Sunday morning, square away 2 bottles of Bucky and go on a 'scary next level show up at your front door with an axe' style abusive rant

You'll probably come across as angry and abusive but I think there's every chance of real clarity and truth in your rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The thing with Lingard is that when he actually gets the ball he uses it well. Just doesn't get involved enough. I don't see the point in playing him if he's just going to be bypassed for the game. Thought the same happened to Greenwood when he came on somewhat. Just not being looked for. The lack of intensity is baffling as Rashford and Lingard have shown they can play with intensity in the past. They've all shown a lot more than they have the last few months but aren't being used as they should. Again tonight looked good up til they have to do something to unlock the defense.

• Drumpot wrote: »
    I know why it happens here but not going to go on about it

General comment though

I really don't understand the continued divide in the whole situation Utd are in

Why is there still such a split in the fanbase

That was one of the worst Utd v Arsenal games of the last decade from a standards point of view

It boggles my mind how some folks cannot see the repeat performances on show from Utd week after week and the glaring issues that keep happening consistently

Only to beat the hell out of Jose last season for the near exact same reasons

It's causing just as much problems at the club then the board itself that's in and outside of OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What has Ole done to be given another year? Nothing, there literally isn’t one argument I’ve seen besides “the last 3 sackings didn’t work” and that is just a stupid argument to stick with a manager who will be back at his level with Molde soon.

Ole was a mistake, admit it, move on. This season is over, start looking for a manager for next season NOW, and start looking at major squad improvements NOW.

We are on course for a 50 point season, that is about as close to rock bottom as it gets. I knew this was coming and basically said as much before the season started when the rainbowa and sunshine gang were laughing off any remotely negative post, it’s baffling that the club dived in headfirst when all the warning signs were there for an ordinary fan to see, at least any fan with their eyes open.

Realistically we need 6 or 7 players in and around as many shipped out, this needs to be done over the January and Summer window if we want any chance in the 20/21 season.

• You'll probably come across as angry and abusive but I think there's every chance of real clarity and truth in your rant.

I see your alarm went off
    Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"Fun fact this

In the last 17 matches Aubameyang has scored 17 while utd have scored 15.

Shambles of a club"

Credit op... From r/reddevils

Ole's at the wheel
    Tell me how good does it feel?

Great, absolutely wonderful!!!

Chelsea h
    Wolves a
    Palace h
    Southampton a
    Leicester h
    West Ham a
    Arsenal h

A very odd way of looking at it considering those 7 games where scattered across the whole of the season.

Leicester were the opening game last season, Chelsea were the 3rd last game..........hardly a representation of form of a team, or performances across a similar part of the season compared to previous seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You'll probably come across as angry and abusive but I think there's every chance of real clarity and truth in your rant.
    I see your alarm went off
    Liverpool fan?

I assumed he was referring to a certain post from a certain fan who was being totally sincere when posting something very similar to that yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

What has Ole done to be given another year? Nothing, there literally isn’t one argument I’ve seen besides “the last 3 sackings didn’t work” and that is just a stupid argument to stick with a manager who will be back at his level with Molde soon.

Ole was a mistake, admit it, move on. This season is over, start looking for a manager for next season NOW, and start looking at major squad improvements NOW.

We are on course for a 50 point season, that is about as close to rock bottom as it gets. I knew this was coming and basically said as much before the season started when the rainbowa and sunshine gang were laughing off any remotely negative post, it’s baffling that the club dived in headfirst when all the warning signs were there for an ordinary fan to see, at least any fan with their eyes open.

Realistically we need 6 or 7 players in and around as many shipped out, this needs to be done over the January and Summer window if we want any chance in the 20/21 season.

Only thing I think its going to be a massive struggle to get the kind of pedigree of players we need after this season is over. I seriously can't see us being in Europe at all.
    On the other hand 6 or 7 players with the desire of James would be much welcomed as much as the 6 or 7 who need to be shown the door.

Corresponding fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Theres nobody quite like them. I dunno do you see it as bad out by OT, but I live in the city centre and every single weekend, theres grown adults absolutely legless by 2 o clock in the day, its unreal.

I've noticed that a lot over there,the Irish lads can drink until it's pouring out their ears but the Brits have 4 or 5 pints and they are off their heads.

Liam O wrote: »
    The thing with Lingard is that when he actually gets the ball he uses it well

He keeps it simple, doesn’t give it away, plenty of energy, a busy player...a very decent player but there shouldn’t be an opportunity for ‘very decent players’ in the team. Plays the simple pass well. He isn’t going to unlock a defense or play a defense splitter of a pass too often, he just hasn’t the vision or talent.

Greatness is what puts points on the table, trophies on the shelf and entertains fans... that’s what this club and fans desire. Great players. That’s not going to be achieved with players of the ability or lack of it like Lingard, at least not when they are strolling into the first 11, a player like Lingard a nailed on starter for the cup games probably and some energy and work rate efficiency in other games from the bench.. that’s the role his talent qualifies him for... nothing else, with the ball he is an average footballer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

How much time is people willing to give Ole? Understandably you just can't keep changing from manager to manager and from identities to identities. I honestly hope the club doesn't persist too long with Ole now and get a competent manager in to oversee a rebuild that's too much for Ole.

He's gotten rid of a lot of deadwood fair play but since his honeymoon run at the start he's showing nothing to suggest he's capable tactically. His in game management is terrible and judging by all the injuries his squad management isn't good either.

Legend of the club but sentiment shouldn't be in the way of this decision it's the lowest point since Fergie right now it hasn't even been that difficult a run of fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So far under Ole.

Since Dec 18(caretaker + Permanent)-
    49 points from 28 games.
    1.75 points per game.

Since March 28th (Permanent manager)-
    15 games 17 points
    1.13 points per game.

2019-2020 season
    7 games 9 points
    1.28 points per game this season.

Chelsea h
    Wolves a
    Palace h
    Southampton a
    Leicester h
    West Ham a
    Arsenal h

Had we the same manager for all them games last season? Corresponding fixtures isnt a great way to judge anything at the best of times, but with 2 different managers involved its random noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Draw against arsenal and half the people here lose their ****.
    Happy with the draw. Again we will do enough for top ten and have the wage bill and bloated squad slashed by next season. We will be in a position to buy anybody again.

Whether they are slashing the squad wages to make the selling price for the owners higher or to rebuild the squad is an arguement worth having but there’s very little ole could do that will make it better at the moment.

By the end of the season mctominay will look like a first teamer, Rashford will be 22 and hopefully lingard and Ashley young Shaw atleast will have better more reliable players in their positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Changing the manager will not solve this. We knew after the transfer market closed we were fukced this season it was said on here numerous times. Anyone on here who is shocked by the results now should look back at the posts from August. We just have to sit it out now and hope we can finish mid table, people kop on and stop filling seats and hopefully Woodward and the glaziers finally leave and someone comes in who really wants the club to flourish. Nothings going to change until this happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

BDI wrote: »
    Draw against arsenal and half the people here lose their ****.
    Happy with the draw. Again we will do enough for top ten and have the wage bill and bloated squad slashed by next season. We will be in a position to buy anybody again.

Whether they are slashing the squad wages to make the selling price for the owners higher or to rebuild the squad is an arguement worth having but there’s very little ole could do that will make it better at the moment.

By the end of the season mctominay will look like a first teamer, Rashford will be 22 and hopefully lingard and Ashley young Shaw atleast will have better more reliable players in their positions.

Jesus Christ happy with the draw and we will do enough for top 10

Ole based on team selections just has to go playing a half fit Rashford who has been abysmal for as long as I can remember over a young kid who is full of confidence was a joke

Chambers on a yellow early the plan should have been get James to run at him but that was never implemented

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement