Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

The lack of creativity up front is killing the team. With a good attack, Aubameyang’s goal wouldn’t have mattered. Aside from the goal, the missed header, Pereirra’s shot, pogba curling around the post and Greenwood’s mi****, I cant remember any other chances?

There’s nobody on the bench that can really change a game. A fit Martial would help but in no way solves the problem. We need an out and out striker. Rashford for me is not clinical enough. He’s better out wide.

Was it about this time last year, if jose didnt get a result against Newcastle he was gone could be similar for ole although id say it wont be leaked before the game whenever it is happening this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Changing the manager will not solve this. We knew after the transfer market closed we were fukced this season it was said on here numerous times. Anyone on here who is shocked by the results now should look back at the posts from August. We just have to sit it out now and hope we can finish mid table, people kop on and stop filling seats and hopefully Woodward and the glaziers finally leave and someone comes in who really wants the club to flourish. Nothings going to change until this happens.

He's out of his depth squad been good enough or not sure we will give Ole 10 more transfer windows to get it right he loves the club.

Prolonging the inevitable get rid of him soon and get Allegri in when he's still available or Nagallsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Had we the same manager for all them games last season? Corresponding fixtures isnt a great way to judge anything at the best of times, but with 2 different managers involved its random noise
    Seems like a reasonable way to measure expectations for this set of fixtures to me. I think there's more logic in it than saying that we are 'on track for a 50 point season' which a few have said.

We've played 5 of last years top 10 and at least 4 will be finishing in this seasons top half. Should we have more points? Yes, last years tally wasn't good enough. But Ole should be given at least until the new year. I'll start worrying if we get another 9 points from our next 7 games.

I've always felt that more has to change than just our manager for us to start reverting this downward spiral and hoped Ole was hired as some sort of mid term caretaker manager. The lack of change happening behind the scenes worries me so much more than a 1-1 draw at home to Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

BDI wrote: »
    Draw against arsenal and half the people here lose their ****.
    Happy with the draw. Again we will do enough for top ten and have the wage bill and bloated squad slashed by next season. We will be in a position to buy anybody again.

Whether they are slashing the squad wages to make the selling price for the owners higher or to rebuild the squad is an arguement worth having but there’s very little ole could do that will make it better at the moment.

By the end of the season mctominay will look like a first teamer, Rashford will be 22 and hopefully lingard and Ashley young Shaw atleast will have better more reliable players in their positions.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Happy with the draw. Again we will do enough for top ten and have the wage bill and bloated squad slashed by next season. We will be in a position to buy anybody again.

Whether they are slashing the squad wages to make the selling price for the owners higher or to rebuild the squad is an arguement worth having but there’s very little ole could do that will make it better at the moment.

By the end of the season mctominay will look like a first teamer, Rashford will be 22 and hopefully lingard and Ashley young Shaw atleast will have better more reliable players in their positions.

For me this kind of response sums up United in the last while. Not good enough to the standards used to but sure it’s all small progress.... As fans, we shouldn’t be happy with drawing in Old Trafford to a poor Arsenal side.

When does this apparent small progress actually suggest things are going to get better?

Bar the 3 signings this summer, everything has been worse.

Performances, lack of goals, individual mistakes and more importantly results are all off. Not good enough. I fear the board will stick with Ole as they don’t want to change managers again.

At least if we were playing well and with a bit of dignity but losing/drawing you could accept that to a degree. Truth is, we’re back to square one 12 months ago but on a serious downward spiral and fearing the players are starting to turn on Ole.

We lose the ultimate contrarion poster only to gain the ultimate contrarion poster albeit playing a slightly different beat, the circle of life of an online bridge dweller, id live to see attenborough's do a show on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How many points have been lost from winning positions already? Must be 6 or so?

• We lose the ultimate contrarion poster only to gain the ultimate contrarion poster albeit playing a slightly different beat, the circle of life of an online bridge dweller, id live to see attenborough's do a show on it

But it's all my fault apparently. Might make some smile!

• Be interested to know whatsisnames thoughts on the game as he (I think!?) was at it. Also, if he / she was talking to any other fans and or the general feeling around the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I thought the poster was being sarcastic, maybe not.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Even back in the day when we weren't winning all around us we still had a reputation as being entertainers.
    Ole made the grand statement of going back to that and "the United way". As it is,we are just continuing on in the mould of a Jose team, maybe it's a default mindset among the players but surely this would be diminishing rather than growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I watched the game with a Palace fan who was laughing at the quality of the team going forward

Where are all the people who slated Mourinho for the awful football

I read a stat we have scored 17 goals in our last 18 games less than a goal a game and if you take out Chelsea that's much worse

What exactly are the excuses for Ole as i can't see any positiives from the last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Even back in the day when we weren't winning all around us we still had a reputation as being entertainers.
    Ole made the grand statement of going back to that and "the United way". As it is,we are just continuing on in the mould of a Jose team, maybe it's a default mindset among the players but surely this would be diminishing rather than growing.

Mourinho's was style of play, OGS's team is trying to play attractive football, but just can't do it.

Only McTominay was a defensive midfielder, and he still had licence to get forward.

Lingard, Perriera, Pogba all attacking-type players, but none playing well enough.
    Rashford looks like he's heading towards becoming a mister sulky.

James is a breath of fresh air. If I was ManU manager with that squad, my Plan A would be "just get the ball to James". And maybe Plan B too!

Mourinho's was style of play, OGS's team is trying to play attractive football, but just can't do it.

Only McTominay was a defensive midfielder, and he still had licence to get forward.

Lingard, Perriera, Pogba all attacking-type players, but none playing well enough.
    Rashford looks like he's heading towards becoming a mister sulky.

James is a breath of fresh air. If I was ManU manager with that squad, my Plan A would be "just get the ball to James". And maybe Plan B too!

Mourinho got an average side to finish second and win trophies by playing a style that was most likely to get results

Ole is picking these players and trying to play attacking football when it's obvious the players are not good enough

His plan is play attacking players who are fast and it seems that's the extent to what he is trying to do

He really needs to cop on and try something different as what he is trying is just not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Be interested to know whatsisnames thoughts on the game as he (I think!?) was at it. Also, if he / she was talking to any other fans and or the general feeling around the ground

I think it’s fair to say the frustration you read on here is evident at the ground and among the locals, I’m only a plastic local :D

There’s definitely a divide in the fans at the ground too just like there is here. There were a lot of incidents where I heard people screaming in frustration at Rashford and Pogba. I said it last night, but when Rashford lost his footing when he got through on goal, he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders, it lead to a lot of screaming but I think his reaction caused a lot of fans to start applauding his effort.

I can’t say I’m the most talkative type so I wasn’t talking to anyone but did hear a lot of talk of how we never replaced Lukaku, some said we shouldn’t have sold him at all, others were more frustrated at the lack of replacement.

In general, you could see the players look just as frustrated at themselves. I remember during the second half, DDG tried to play a quick kick out to James I think and it was intercepted before it even hit the half way line and he was going mad at himself for it. I noticed Lindelof do the same after misplaced pass to Rashford, he also gave Tuanzebe a lot of encouragement after his pass that led to their goal, only for it to actually stand.

I know Pogba got a lot of flak on here last night but I thought he was quite decent, you really see he is a level above our midfield in person.

I think if Ole is to continue with this 4-2-3-1, he needs to push Pogba into the no. 10 permanently and trust Fred next to McTominay, we look so much better with his energy in midfield. I thought McTominay was good last night, seems to thrive in the bigger matches. Really should have buried that header.

At the end of the game I did notice the majority of the fans left immediately, didn’t really hear much of an applause as I was one who left straight away too. Not sure how it came across on TV.

All in all, an average performance against a very ordinary Arsenal side who’d be in massive trouble if it wasn’t for Aubameyang. But the thing is, I’m not sure we’re capable of much better performances with these players and this manager.

Also, Kevin Friend is a truly shocking referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Holding a player responsible for another player not passing to him is one of the most bizarre things I've read in the soccer forum. He could have cost 2 billion and he still won't be able to Jedi mind control his team-mates.
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I'll leave it there. 5 Thanks and counting for that one:pac:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I know Pogba got a lot of flak on here last night but I thought he was quite decent, you really see he is a level above our midfield in person.

He just stands there and will do something if he gets a pass. He doesn't demand the ball and he gives it away a lot.

If he put as much effort into football as he does into his haircuts he would've dominated that bang average Arsenal midfield last night easily.

He doesn't get the other midfielders involved. Lingard and McTominay are ignored so he can try a killer pass which may come off once in 5 if lucky. Also thought he played a few easy ones that were difficult to control or slightly off, one to James in the first half stands out where it forced him very wide and it was only a 5-10 yard pass.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    He just stands there and will do something if he gets a pass. He doesn't demand the ball and he gives it away a lot.

If he put as much effort into football as he does into his haircuts he would've dominated that bang average Arsenal midfield last night easily.

The fact grown men get so upset over someones haircut is the real worrying thing tbh.

He gives it away because he's the only one in midfield who will take a risk with a pass. I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan, he certainly has his flaws, but I thought he was decent last night.

The fact grown men get so upset over someones haircut is the real worrying thing tbh.

He gives it away because he's the only one in midfield who will take a risk with a pass. I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan, he certainly has his flaws, but I thought he was decent last night.

I thought he was shíte. Again.

When you're on 290k a week and playing shít, don't be a show pony on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am one of Pogba's biggest critics but at this stage I don't blame a lot of the players or even Ole. We had some sort of chance under Jose but we wont do much anytime soon the way things are. Pogba is reaching the prime of his career and doesnt want to be stuck in a club thats been rebuilding itself over and over again since he left as a youngster. He has also said he wants to leave, so we cant say he hasnt been up front on that side of things.

Some players are either not good enough, are surprised themselves how poor we are or just cant deal with he expectations. I would also say some players have their doubts about Ole because they are professional footballers who have worked with more experienced coaches and may see things the average fan would not spot that doesnt fill them with confidence.

Again, the responsibility falls on the owners/Woodward, who as always have a made a raging balls of things. The players and manager are the front line of abuse, like customer service people, but the real anger should be front at centre at our public relations CEO whizz who talks the biggest pile of corporate sh*t I have ever seen. I cant grasp how anybody can fall for his bile every season.

I feel for Ole and I think most fans do aswell, but there is a head and heart approach to looking at this. My head wants him to succeed and wants to give him more time, my head cant logically explain why he should work out.

• The fact grown men get so upset over someones haircut is the real worrying thing tbh.

He gives it away because he's the only one in midfield who will take a risk with a pass.

From watching on TV his hesitation shown a few times last night but more so than not it was because when he looked in front of him nobody was making any forward runs or looking to receive the ball.

I thought when Mctominey came into the game more in the second half (and Fred took up position beside him) Pogba got more involved.

I've been one of Pogbas biggest critiques too but I agree, no need to discuss haircuts it doesn't add anything worthwhile to the discussion.

As a side not: Thanks for sharing the other post. Been a while since I've been at OT but sounds like the general sentiment is that of everywhere else. Frustration and divide among the fan-base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

From a neutral perspective i think Ole is a bluffer and tactically inept.

I think Utd should be throwing money at Eddie Howe.

• :D

• Advertisement

Why is he taking a risk? How many risky passes should deep playmakers be making? How many does David Silva make a game that sets up the other team to counter on multiple occasions? How much did Xavi from the same position? Would he not be better off linking with Lingard and McTominay and trying to drag the defense out of position and create space for others rather than pushing up into Lingard or whoever is in the 10's position to receive the ball and effectively taking a player out of his own attack?

Now obviously this may be an instruction from Ole but I can't remember the last time Lingard ran at a defence after picking the ball up from a deep central position. Something that he is very good at and could be really useful. I can remember the last time Pogba played a 40 yard hopeful ball that went to the opposition though. Multiple in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Is this really the level we are at now? West Ham/Leicester/Everton would be hoping to be doing at least this!! Christ on a bike........I like optimism, but this is crazy. Since when is a draw at home to a very shakey Arsenal teama good result!!! "WE will be in a position to buy anybody again"..........another season of no CL football and you think we can sign anybody we like!!!! Yes, maybe if we throw buckets of money at them......but then that goes against Ole's "right" players ideology and your assessment of us slashing our wage bill. Who do you think is causing the massive wage bill? Rashford and Martial signing two new massive contracts, Pogba on big money and looking for even more, De Gea signing a new contract, Maguire most likely on big money. Sure we could get rid of Jones/Smalling/Rojo/Lingard......but if we have to offer substantial wages to attract "anybody" then the wages saved on these players are negated by the bloated wages offered to new players to get them coming to a team without CL football. So potentially the wages of 3 of the above just cover the wages of 1 new player, and then you still need to replace the above players in the squad/team. "Cause And Effect". It won't be as simple as you believe to just forgo a season or two in the hope we can rebuild and get back to where we should be.

Regarding an earlier post about Jose's dull football vs Ole's dull football. The difference for me, is that Jose played like that mostly to protect his fragile back line. You build a winning team from the back. Fergie always had a solid back line, Wenger inherited his and when they retired/left he found it hard to replace to that level and it's no surprise Arsenal's most dominant spell was with a sure defence. Heck even look at Pep and Klopp. Pep new his defence wasn't good enough and has spent a fortune on it. Klopp realised his defence was a major issue and went out and spent big on quality replacements. It's no secret Jose wanted to strengthen his defence last season and was blocked, yet 12 months on......we add 2 costly additions. Jose once he has his team balanced, has always been one of the top scorers in any of the leagues he competed in, and I believe that would have been so, had he been backed.
    Ole's dull football just comes from a lack of tactical nous and coaching. The excuse at the end of last season was that the legs were gone and this team needed a pre season to get them to the fitness levels we needed for his style. Yet here we are after what he needed and the performances are still dire. Have we suddenly forgot how we couldn't beat 2 relegation teams(1 at Old Trafford) to secure a top 4 finish!!! Any other manager would have been hung out to dry.

It is possible to completely see that a rebuild is needed, but also be of the opinion that Ole is not the man to steer us through it. It reminds me of Greta Thunberg.......you can be of the opinion we need to care about the environment more, but not see Greta as some kind of messiah!! There is so much wrong at the club at the minute....from board room to squad(ability and character) to manager to scouting. I don't blame Ole on the whole and I like him, but I really do feel it's obvious that he is not the man for the job.

I thought he was shíte. Again.

When you're on 290k a week and playing shít, don't be a show pony on social media.

I honestly don't get the fuss over his social media, for someone who gets criticised for using social media too much, absolutely nobody knew he was a father and married.

If you think his is bad, don't look at Lingards.
    From watching on TV his hesitation shown a few times last night but more so than not it was because when he looked in front of him nobody was making any forward runs or looking to receive the ball.

I thought when Mctominey came into the game more in the second half (and Fred took up position beside him) Pogba got more involved.

I've been one of Pogbas biggest critiques too but I agree, no need to discuss haircuts it doesn't add anything worthwhile to the discussion.

As a side not: Thanks for sharing the other post. Been a while since I've been at OT but sounds like the general sentiment is that of everywhere else. Frustration and divide among the fan-base.

Definitely, noticed it happening with other players in possession too, most noticeably Maguire and Lindelof. Our movement is non existent. I really think McTominay, Fred and Pogba midfield is the way to go, cause Lingard offers absolutely nothing behind the striker.

I'll go to another few matches this season I reckon so I'll report back my findings again. :pac:

ricero wrote: »

A "neutral perspective", I'd be more inclined to believe Boris Johnson than that.

ricero wrote: »

Thats not a bad shout.

Ole is way out of his depth yes. Utterly bizarre how they though someone who got relegated with Cardiff and coached a Norwegian pub team is qualified to manage the biggest sports club in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Can I ask a genuine question as a non Man Utd supporter?

Is Rashford any good?

I'd be interested in knowing what people who watch him a on regular basis think. I'm very much on the fence, I'm not quite sure if he is just another over hyped young English player who had a great start to his career but isnt really anything special or would he be excellent with better players/tactics?

I honestly don't get the fuss over his social media, for someone who gets criticised for using social media too much, absolutely nobody knew he was a father and married.

If you think his is bad, don't look at Lingards.

Definitely, noticed it happening with other players in possession too, most noticeably Maguire and Lindelof. Our movement is non existent. I really think McTominay, Fred and Pogba midfield is the way to go, cause Lingard offers absolutely nothing behind the striker.

I'll go to another few matches this season I reckon so I'll report back my findings again. :pac:

Watch Maguire in multiple games,he starts to bring the ball out of defence and calls for movement but it never comes so we end up with this slow passing around the back and deep in midfield,hardly conducive to a fast, attacking game and so easy to play against,no wonder we are creating feck all.

Liam O wrote: »
    Why is he taking a risk? How many risky passes should deep playmakers be making? How many does David Silva make a game that sets up the other team to counter on multiple occasions? How much did Xavi from the same position? Would he not be better off linking with Lingard and McTominay and trying to drag the defense out of position and create space for others rather than pushing up into Lingard or whoever is in the 10's position to receive the ball and effectively taking a player out of his own attack?

Now obviously this may be an instruction from Ole but I can't remember the last time Lingard ran at a defence after picking the ball up from a deep central position. Something that he is very good at and could be really useful. I can remember the last time Pogba played a 40 yard hopeful ball that went to the opposition though. Multiple in fact.

Tbh man, I think you've answered it yourself, I think he's being instructed to try and play a long ball in behind the defence. It seems to be our main method of counter attacking. We saw it come off against Chelsea and I think thats what Ole wants us to do.

I agree with you I'd rather him linking up play with McTominay and Lingard but Lingards close control leaves a lot to be desired I think. It's largely our set up thats the issue, I really don't know why we're playing 4-2-3-1 when we haven't the players to do so effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I don't think anybodies happy when we are clearly not going to be in a title fight and top four will be a big ask to but sacking Ole solves nothing.

He gutted a squad that he took over from 6th, he managed to strengthen defense but there is a lot more work to do.Expectations are always high but we need to be realistic. Getting to stage where we can challenge City or Liverpool is going to take ore than one window. I'm prepared to give Ole that at least before calling for his head.

• Can I ask a genuine question as a non Man Utd supporter?

Is Rashford any good?

I'd be interested in knowing what people who watch him a on regular basis think. I'm very much on the fence, I'm not quite sure if he is just another over hyped young English player who had a great start to his career but isnt really anything special or would he be excellent with better players/tactics?

On his day he can be very good when running into a forward pass or into space and has scored some lovely goals but not on a consistent basis.

Very much a confidance player too and looks shot of it all at the moment.

This might be a shock to some but Jose got the best out of him in his Utd career so far.

He had him in a rotation, played to his strength and didn't pile primary pressure on his shoulders to lead from the front.

A good way to handle a player of his age.

Here's a thought,what if in his wisdom Woodward has Ole as interim manager for this season because he felt the likes of Poch was unattainable at the time,a cheap option until the end of this season with no massive payout if he's sacked but suddenly things aren't going to plan as our form is so horrendous. Top 4 probably Woodward's objective to balance the books but as it is 6th is looking like a more likely achievement at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It’s the taking two passes to get the ball to the full back when the direct ball is on that always gets me. I’m not talking about difficult, raking passes either, just open your body out and pass the ball 25/30 yards. It’s so frustrating to watch it have to go via the closest CM/CB to the final recipient and allows the opposition more than enough time to reshuffle their shape accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On his day he can be very good when running into a forward pass or into space and has scored some lovely goals but not on a consistent basis.

Very much a confidance player too and looks shot of it all at the moment.

This might be a shock to some but Jose got the best out of him in his Utd career so far.

He had him in a rotation, played to his strength and didn't pile primary pressure on his shoulders to lead from the front.

A good way to handle a player of his age.

I remember the game against Liverpool he destroyed Trent. He's got pace and can beat a man out wide, he isn't a striker though from what I can see. His movement into central positions just isn't there and he doesn't have the finishing ability.
    Left of a 433, in the Mane role is where he should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Here's a thought,what if in his wisdom Woodward has Ole as interim manager for this season because he felt the likes of Poch was unattainable at the time,a cheap option until the end of this season with no massive payout if he's sacked but suddenly things aren't going to plan as our form is so horrendous. Top 4 probably Woodward's objective to balance the books but as it is 6th is looking like a more likely achievement at best.

Ha, I have thought about this but I am not sure you can have a manager for over a year, to clear out players for a future a potential manager (who hasn't signed yet) may want. Poch is still at a club so I don't think it would be the same as for example chatting with Jose before he signed and getting some reads from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That was my take on why we gave him the permanent deal when we did. Whoever we had sounded out had rejected us and so it was either try to identify a suitable mid-level candidate and then pay what’s needed to acquire them and install their coaching team or take what you had in Ole and try to make positive fan sentiment last as long as possible. It’s the only way I could make sense of it.

I think he thought it would last longer than 10 days though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I don't think anybodies happy when we are clearly not going to be in a title fight and top four will be a big ask to but sacking Ole solves nothing.

He gutted a squad that he took over from 6th, he managed to strengthen defense but there is a lot more work to do.Expectations are always high but we need to be realistic. Getting to stage where we can challenge City or Liverpool is going to take ore than one window. I'm prepared to give Ole that at least before calling for his head.

A squad that finished 2nd the previous season!

Many were quick to blame Jose and his meltdown to the performances up to his sacking. Yet after an initial bounce, Ole's form has been worse. If the team were so poor when he took over, how had Mourinho managed to get them to runner's up place a few months previous? He also had a number of chances against weaker teams to cement top 4 and couldn't muster performances from the team. Our start to this season is worse than last season so far.

I'm all for adding stability to the club from a management point of view, but it has to be the right man at the helm, and I am failing to see any signs that Ole is that man. I could go to the club tomorrow and with the boards backing get rid of players......that's not some magic trick. Heck even Jose wanted to gut the team but wasn't allowed by the looks of it.

Tbh man, I think you've answered it yourself, I think he's being instructed to try and play a long ball in behind the defence. It seems to be our main method of counter attacking. We saw it come off against Chelsea and I think thats what Ole wants us to do.

I agree with you I'd rather him linking up play with McTominay and Lingard but Lingards close control leaves a lot to be desired I think. It's largely our set up thats the issue, I really don't know why we're playing 4-2-3-1 when we haven't the players to do so effectively.

Under José, Lingard would often pick the ball up around the center circle and be able to make an incisive run through the middle. There was a period where he and Pogba were in the same side like they were last night and this was happening. He's shown this multiple times. Pogba was doing the same even under José so I do slightly struggle with the idea that it is all down to instruction. He just doesn't seem to play the right pass with any degree of consistency and that is certainly not something José would have been coaching him to do imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

A one point return is not enough for the race for top 4. Luckily we are in no such race so its all good.

And they are now in what, 10th?

That's just gravy, Oles at the wheel!

Outside of Portos CL win, 2nd with that squad is maybe Mouinhos great season in hindsight.

• rob316 wrote: »
    I remember the game against Liverpool he destroyed Trent. He's got pace and can beat a man out wide, he isn't a striker though from what I can see. His movement into central positions just isn't there and he doesn't have the finishing ability.
    Left of a 433, in the Mane role is where he should be.

You will find the majority of fans agree with this sentiment and were aware of this a long time ago.
    Ole and or the board rolled the dice and bet on Rashford and Martial to lead the line as strikers but history has shown they are prone to down periods showing clear inexperience and inconstancy throughout their Utd career.

It was an inexperience on Oles behalf also to take such a risk.
    On repeat but not replacing Lukakau is already showing to one of the stupidest things the club has done in recent memory.
    Amount of times this season I witness a ball go low or high into the box and hardly anyone is in the six yard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

And they are now in what, 10th?

That's just gravy, Oles at the wheel!

Like I said, its the first attempt at a clear out and addressing the weak points of the team, defense is almost done, MF and upfront next. I don't expect us to compete during this period.

Were you expecting the team that finished 6th that then sold 7 players to compete?

Like I said, its the first attempt at a clear out and addressing the weak points of the team, defense is almost done, MF and upfront next. I don't expect us to compete during this period.

Were you expecting the team that finished 6th that then sold 7 players to compete?

What I expect is that if a manager makes the call to ship out players that would make us better, then said players should be replaced or failing that, the players the manager has staked his job on should step up and reward the faith placed in them.

Neither has happened and at this point in time Rashford is looking more likely to be Danny Wellbeck Mk II than anything.

There were a number of decent balls delivered into the box last night and in previous games and there was nobody, literally nobody attacking them. We had the issue previously where Rom was living on scraps yet still managed to outscore everyone at the club in two consecutive seasons, now with the likes of James capable of delivering the ball into dangerous areas we have nobody there to meet it. One issue was replaced with an even bigger one.

That sits with Ole and Ole alone. That decision is what is going to cost him his job.

So it's good he is selling players but because of that you lower expectations

He may have improved the defence but badly weakened the midfield and strikers also and our only plan b option in Fellaini

The squad is much worse now then it was last year

• Advertisement

A "neutral perspective", I'd be more inclined to believe Boris Johnson than that.

Well everything he said is true

I would like us to go for Howe, Rodgers, Leipzig or Norwich manager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement